PDA

View Full Version : Garlic Onions and your energy

prana
11-03-2001, 01:24 AM
Garlic and Onions, some say it is like the "anti-biotic" of Chinese Medicine. How does Garlic and Onions affect your Qi ?

I have found that it creates turbulence in the lower energy centers of the body, such as stomach, abdominal and genitalia area. It manifests itself in coarser thoughts, one is readily adsorbed in anger, irritation and frustration and sexual thoughts.

So how does Garlic and Onions affect your Qi training ? Do you use it to increase the effects of Qi ? or do you abstain from it to achieve subtler Qi movement. Do you use it to increase certain 'drives' ?

yenhoi
11-03-2001, 08:09 PM
Garlic is supposeto clean your kidneys.

www.fightingarts.com (http://www.fightingarts.com)

theres a guy there called Brewer, he is very knowledgeable on this subject.

strike!

Fish of Fury
11-04-2001, 12:51 PM
good topic Prana
i've been interested in this too.
certainly in western herbal medicine onions and especially garlic are useful medicines, with a lot of scientific validation,(incl:antioxidant,lowers cholesterol,potent antimicrobial etc.) but it's intriguing that these have been traditionally avoided by many "Qi people" :)
there's also a guy called Bob Beck who claims that garlic suppresses some mental and most psychic abilities, and claims changes are measurable on EEG...but i don't know if his research is valid or if he's a raving nutbag!

__________________________________________________ _________________________ "I'm just trying to lull you into a genuine sense of security!"

Repulsive Monkey
11-04-2001, 02:26 PM
Onions/Garlic do seem to have a natural anti-biotic reaction in a lot of people (however I totally refuse to use chemical anti-biotics due to their negative effcts on the body long-term wise, ask and I'll let you know!). However they are also heat forming foods, and I must admit I do like onions raw sometimes which also if done to death too regularly will also produce damp-haet in the Stomch and most probably after time the Large Intestines too. The heat of the Stomach can case nausea and belching plus regurgitation of varying degrees (not necessary as a by product of eating just Onions/garlic mind you!)and can affect the Spleen too. However I have to say I do generally think that they are quite quite sources of astrigence and most definitely on a general scale have a good medicinal use.

CD Lee
11-04-2001, 10:13 PM
First of all, to make an upfront 'dumb' statement, "Garlic and Onions RULE baby!" I cook a lot, and those two foods have amazing culinary uses.

Garlic, if I am not mistaken, also helps prevent or depress mosquitoes from wanting to bite you as much as would normally be the case. I have tried this, and I found it to work amazingly well.

I am normally a mosquito magnet. After eating a heavily garlic'd sauce (fresh cloves)last year, I went into a spot of our yard with lots of the insects. Mosqitoes would land on my legs, and then immediately bouce off and fly away. I observed this over and over. That makes me wonder if our skin starts to stink like garlic??!

Anyway, they both also help food to "blend" well with other ingredients in a dish, and add various degrees of 'warmth to the flavor' of a dish, without the strong flavor of the powder forms of the herbs. It is hard to describe, but they add a lot of depth to dishes sometimes without the associated flavor per se

prana
11-04-2001, 11:56 PM
There is much more meditation needed to understand exactly what/which energy centers are disturbed when eating garlic/onions and I really don't intend if possible to eat much of it. I tend to cut down on certain foods after little experiences during meditation.
I can believe that garlic will coarsen (??) and scatter the energies in the lower body (I could not feel the upper body energies being too disturbed). So perhaps this could be correct as many psychics associate the energy centers of the body as a source of psychic abilities.

I also come from a long family background of cooking EVERY dish with garlic/ginger/onions. So abstaining from it is fairly difficult. Though I have also been taught that garlic has great medicinal effects, but it just isn't good for Vipasyana meditation, because of the turbulence.

I am still curious of people who meditate of cultivating Chi and if these foods have an effect on them.

ps. I still have not discovered the discrepencies with eggs. Some people eat them and others don't. Yet most don't know why. Any thoughts on that ?

woliveri
11-06-2001, 06:16 AM
I have been told by more than one Chinese Spiritual Organizations that they do not eat either because it disturbs them in some way, I'm not sure how. This always bothered me somewhat though because it means the physical is leading the spiritual rather than vise versa.

There is no spoon. "The Matrix"
There's a difference between knowing the path and walking the path. "The Matrix"

prana
11-06-2001, 06:26 AM
This always bothered me somewhat though because it means the physical is leading the spiritual rather than vise versa.

It does, for the mind that is not yet tamed, wild as a monkey.

Repulsive Monkey
11-06-2001, 01:46 PM
I see it as being the Spiritual leading the Physical personally. I would guess that believe the active properties of both Gralic and Onions in creating heat would disturb their Shen (spirit) thus The spirit manifests disturbance, and with that the Disrupted Shen has an effect on the rest of the body thus the spirit leading the physical.

ninja turtle
11-07-2001, 10:03 PM
Onions and garlic(especially) make me "excited". Not in a sexual manner- but like a slight caffeine buzz. I try to avoid them for the most part- but CD Lee was right- they kick ass in the culinary department. Garlic and onions are a natural insect repellant- thay are the main ingredients(other than assorted hot peppers) in most recipes for all-natural plant maintenance.
I don't eat eggs because they have a disgusting texture, bland flavor, they are somewhat unhealthy, and they smell like a nasty, girl ****. Oh, and their previous potential for life bugs me a bit. But mainly the nasty, girl **** thing.
Outer and inner seem to be one in the same- I don't think one is leading the other- not in this case. But I'm no expert....

Nexus
11-07-2001, 10:09 PM
I eat garlic on food all the time, at least 3-4 times a month and have experiences no side effects of doing so except the garlic breath which lasts all day, no matter how many times the teeth are brushed. It was effective on halloween scaring away the vampires though!

- Nexus