PDA

View Full Version : Any Industrial/Designers here?

monkeyfoot
03-27-2008, 06:42 AM
If there are any I.D heads here, or person from any design discipline, then you pretty much know the nature of our industry.

Our discipline, much like kung fu, requires us to always be looking around, thinking about and practising in order to keep our edge on the competition.

I am curious how you find a balance between your kung fu and design....seeing as each require 100% of your life??

After a lot of thinking....the only solution is that ones gotta go :(

Craig

David Jamieson
03-27-2008, 07:20 AM
are you talking solidworks users? catia? CAD? that kind of industrial design? Or are you talking about industrial artwork type design? Corporate art, logos etc.

either way, I do visual design and there's never been a question of how to balance. Kungfu practice eventually becomes something that is simply incorporated into your way of life. You just do it. Your job is your job and your skills are your skills whatever they may be. If it brings you peace of mind and well being to refine those skills through time, you'll find a way. :)

monkeyfoot
03-30-2008, 07:18 AM
Cheers for the reply David

Yea I was talking about any part of design really, whether you are at the front end of a project with sketching/ideation/photoshop rendering or using programs like solidworks or Alias to send off for rapid prototypes....All disciplines require a hefty chunk of life :)

Myself, I'm going to be graduating soon, so it kinda feels like design is all I have time for. Im aiming for the concept sketching/photoshop rendering in terms of employment and was recently advised that I should be sketching more than I breathe :rolleyes:

I keep hearing that kung fu becomes something that is incorporated into your lifestyle. Mike Martello once told me that eventually Kung Fu 'isn't part of the blend, its the blend itself'. I haven't ever got to this stage, and to be honest it seems like a mission to keep up with training. I guess your time management is exceptional right?

Anyway, What sort of visual design are you involved it? Is it product design related or more graphic/company branding etc. I'd be interested to see some of your work :)

Cheers for the feedback

Craig

masherdong
03-30-2008, 07:47 PM
I work as a civil designer for a local consulting firm here. Everyone in my firm knows that I am the kung fu guy. I work pretty much work a 40-45 hour week. I also train 4-5 days a week for about 2.5 hours each day. Then, I also go to school part time as well as have 2 young children at home. So far, I have been doing well in all aspects. I can't imagine of letting any of those go. If I really must have to, then I would drop the school. Everything else is much too important to me. My training has made my life so much more healthier and cleaner. Cant give it up! The others are quite self-explanatory. Yeah, I guess you could say that I have everything balanced. :)

monkeyfoot
03-31-2008, 03:45 PM
Kudos!

Thats one hell of a busy life :eek:

Lol I guess I have nothing to complain about then

Craig

masherdong
04-01-2008, 06:23 AM
Kudos!

Thats one hell of a busy life

Thanks. I dont analyze how much I am doing, I just do it.