PDA

View Full Version : Stronger Charp Choi

BUK SING
03-29-2008, 04:57 AM
does anyone know any ways of getting stronger, faster, more pwerful and dangerous and less painful to yourself charp chois

CLFNole
03-29-2008, 07:35 AM
Do push ups in the chop choy (panther fist) position to condition and strengthen your wrists. Practice chop choy on the ching jong padded areas and a hanging bag (not too heavy). Repeat, repeat, repeat.....

nospam
03-29-2008, 08:04 AM
Well, not to get into specifics but general speed drills will help with all strikes and strengthening a chop choy means to strengthen the hand. Just be cognizant that a quick hand can be over come by quick legs - double meaning here (ging).

Hand speed is just one part of many aspects of speed. Train the parts but never forget the whole. The years of effort are to bring the parts together. The journey will bring questions and knowledge that will lead to better understanding then eventual ability.

Most of us have seen the Youtube video of the clubbed hand Chinese fellow. He trained a part of external Iron Palm and got stuck on one aspect/part and now is a freakshow that can do nothing more than club cement bricks with a hugely calcified hand.

The Net is full of MA drills and strengthening exercises.

I prefer external iron palm methods and isometric hand conditioning. I am not a proponent of striking hard surfaces for conditioning chop. Defeats the purpose of this tool in so so many ways.

nospam
:cool:

Shaolindynasty
03-31-2008, 09:33 AM
I have an article on this subject comming out in the June (or july, Gene?) issue of Kungfu Taichi.

sanjuro_ronin
03-31-2008, 09:47 AM
does anyone know any ways of getting stronger, faster, more pwerful and dangerous and less painful to yourself charp chois

The biggest issue with any "force multiplier" like the specialty fists is when you make contact with what you are NOT aiming for, usually because our opponent has the audacity to move or, heave forbid, block..
Especially those *******s that like to block with the elbows.
Imagine, if you well, a well placed, full speed phoenix-eye or panther fist to the side of the neck or floating ribs, now imagine it being blocked by a bone, hard, elbow.

Yep, conditioning is a B I T C H, but is crucial in preparing for the real world confrontation.
I mean, we can train for the ideal circumstance, no matter how rare, or we can train for the "worse case" ones that tend to present themselves when we don;'t want them to.