PDA

View Full Version : Derek Frearson still teaching Wah Lum?

kal
03-29-2008, 06:15 AM
I remember many years ago that Derek Frearson was teaching Wah Lum under GM Chan Poi.

Is he still involved with Wah Lum or not?

Wong Ying Home
03-29-2008, 07:49 AM
http://www.itswa.co.uk

SiFu Derek Frearsons web page....

Paul T England
03-29-2008, 10:37 AM
I have been training LKW Seven Star Mantis under Sifu Frearson since 1995 and he has not taught any other mantis since then or even earlier.

Paul
www.moifa.co.uk

kal
03-29-2008, 11:41 AM
I have been training LKW Seven Star Mantis under Sifu Frearson since 1995 and he has not taught any other mantis since then or even earlier.

Paul
www.moifa.co.uk

I've got a magazine (Fighting Arts) from about 1990 and he is in it, definitely teaching Wah Lum praying mantis. The other teacher in the article with him is David Hawkins. Both were wearing Wah Lum t-shirts and there was a Wah Lum flag in the school.

Paul T England
03-29-2008, 12:27 PM
Yes, Dave Hawkins and Derek Frearson used to teach wah lum. Not sure there is anybody teaching it in the UK now.

Paul T England
03-29-2008, 12:30 PM
Sorry if I confused the issue earlier, didn't mean to imply that Derek had NEVER taught Wah Lum!

kal
03-29-2008, 01:54 PM
Yes, Dave Hawkins and Derek Frearson used to teach wah lum. Not sure there is anybody teaching it in the UK now.
It's a shame. Looks like a great style. And Chan Poi seems in amazing shape for his age.
They used to have branches all over the world at one stage. Wonder what happened. I believe the HQ is still going strong in Florida.

Paul T England
03-30-2008, 01:37 PM
Yes it looks like a great style but I have to say I love Seven Star Mantis and its a style that has it all IMHO.

Paul

Qixing Tanglang
03-31-2008, 09:16 AM
Heard he had some books out on the Wah Lum system? In Spanish?
Nate

kal
03-31-2008, 01:05 PM
Yes it looks like a great style but I have to say I love Seven Star Mantis and its a style that has it all IMHO.

Paul

7* is not really a style a know anything about. But it does sound very fascinating.

Is it related to Wah Lum in any way, given that Wah Lum is also a praying matis style.

When you say that the style has it all, do you mean it includes things like weapons, chi kung, conditioning the body and hands (iron palm) in addition to the techniques? Is there much free sparring and drilling with an opponent.

Corwyn
04-13-2008, 05:57 PM
7* is not really a style a know anything about. But it does sound very fascinating.

Is it related to Wah Lum in any way, given that Wah Lum is also a praying matis style.

When you say that the style has it all, do you mean it includes things like weapons, chi kung, conditioning the body and hands (iron palm) in addition to the techniques? Is there much free sparring and drilling with an opponent.

Kal,

I am a fairly newbie to CMA so take my comments for what they are worth.

There are 12 Praying Mantis styles including Jut Sow Tung Long - the name of Wah Lum.

Tainan Mantis
04-14-2008, 12:05 PM
About 7* and Wah Lum

Is it related to Wah Lum in any way, given that Wah Lum is also a praying matis style.QUOTE]

The two are not closely related. To see the performance or training of them side by side they would look totally unrelated.

They share a common form called Beng Bu the two versions look so different as to be completely different forms.

Wah Lum as taught by MC Chan has a strong influence of southern styles while
7* does not.

Kevin

monkeyfoot
04-22-2008, 04:11 AM
By the off chance, does anyone happen to have any links/videos of sifu derek. I have seen snippets of him perform at seminars, but never anything more than a few seconds.

I'd really appreciate anyone who is willing to share

Craig

Paul T England
04-22-2008, 04:54 AM
He tends to stay away from performance and just train. I have seen him train plenty but he does not like to perform.

mantid1
04-22-2008, 05:02 AM
Here ya go. I would contact him personally and ask to see some of his video. That would be the best way to go about it.

I.T.S.W.A. Headquarters
28 Linden Farm Drive
Countesthorpe, Leicester, LE8 3SX
Head Instructor: Sifu Derek Frearson
Contact #: (0116) 2774260
Email: sifu@itswahq.freeserve.co.uk