PDA

View Full Version : Vipasyana meditation

yenhoi
11-06-2001, 01:16 AM
prana, others...

Im sure you've detailed this elsewhere, but, maybe a discussion or the short facts about Buddist meditation(s)?

strike!

prana
11-06-2001, 02:06 AM
hmm your question is too broad for me to answer.

But perhaps you could say what you want to know, and if I can help I will, if I can't, I am sure there are others who can :)

Scott R. Brown
11-06-2001, 02:50 AM
yen_hoi,

I agree with prana. The question is too broad. There are numerous schools of Buddhism, each tends to focus on different types of meditation.

With original Zen/Chan, that is from the oldest available written sources of Chan, meditation is an exercise in developing the proper perspective for perceiving the true reality.

This type of meditation does not empty the mind of all thought, but allows the thoughts of the mind to flow past unobstructed and unhindered by the ego.

Thoughts are like leaves flowing by on a stream. Each leaf is a thought. Observe the leaves flow past without fixing your mind on any one leaf in particular. Focus on the flowing not the thought, but do not overly attach the mind to the flowing either.

Sincerely,
Scott

yenhoi
11-06-2001, 03:49 AM
ok :D

Whats annutara-yoga?

Is Vispasyana your school of buddism?

If not, what does Vispasyana meditation entail?
(Generally how is it done?)

Are there other meditations in your particular school? (Forgive me but I am getting the impression that there are many many for different 'things' sort of like different catholic prayers....)

I meditate - my "lineage" of meditation would be Taoist. When I meditate I sometimes assume different postures, but the 'mental process' (not exactly the right phrase here, but it serves) is usually the same each time, regardless of position.

strike!

mantis108
11-06-2001, 04:15 AM
Ï will keep it short and might reply in a few short post than 1 long posts. This forum is sometime unstable. :)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>meditation is an exercise in developing the proper perspective for perceiving the true reality[/quote]

This statement pretty much nails it on the head. The big three traditions, namely Hinduism, Buddhism and Taoism, that developed and apply meditation techniques in essence hold the same view about "proper perspective for preceiving the true reality". It must be empirial behavioral to begin with. The paths are different but the journey is the same. Having said that we must also remember that the journey is the destination. This phenomenon is illustrated by all the Yoga(s)(Hindu traditions), Yana(s) (Buddhist traditions),and Pei(s) (Taoist traditions). These traditions hold different views in approaching the reality (physical realm) althought they all employ the same tool - meditation/introspection. Technically, breathing techniques and enegry work aren't meditation. They are intergal part of the process. So like Bruce Lee said don't look at the finger that points to the moon or you will miss the heavenly glory. If you skip through the confussing technical part then you will be able to see the real purpose of meditation regardless of the traditions.

Mantis108

Contraria Sunt Complementa

yenhoi
11-06-2001, 04:26 AM
I look at the moon regularly,

I am attempting to look at the finger here, thanks.

:D

strike!

prana
11-06-2001, 04:36 AM
many describe vipasyana as insightful meditation, some describe it as emptiness. I prefer the latter but they are both right.

It isnt a lineage, it is one of the instructions given by Buddha to practise. It is much practised now in Burma and other parts of South East Asia.

Basically, it is based on watching thoughts or watching sensations, at some stage, some schools also teach to watch sounds. In Therevada, they mainly use watching sensations on the body.
Others watch thoughts arising, and immediately eradicate them. Yet another, watches thoughts as a baby watches a bird, detached. Yet others, find the root of the thought arising.

They all have their excellent reasons and works on many levels.

Annuttara-yoga, well that is just a form of energy training as mantis has described, practised mainly in the Vajrayana tradition. I have also seen "parallels" with Qi-Gong but I shall not "intellectualise" it.
I am not allowed to say too much about this, I hope you understand.

If you are interested, perhaps you could read up on Padmasambhavas two most famous teachings, Tibetan book of liberation and the Tibetan book of the dead. They have both been transalted by numerous people into English, and I recommend them. They are fairly difficult to understand as they were written for people who were brought up with associating qualities with Buddha's.... so be open minded. Also take a look at how Jetsun Milarepa used inner heat yoga to eliminate to destroy his past sorcery days.