PDA

View Full Version : Poon Kiu Chop Choy

Infrazael
03-29-2008, 10:40 PM
A thought:

I have been testing this for a while on bags and stuff, and I can see the merit of using the back palm for doing Poon Kiu (the double poon kiu that LKH branch uses primarily) to block/parry/strike.

But IF we want to inflict damage, and to add "heaviness" to the power of the poon kiu, wouldn't it be better to do the the first half (backhand down block) with a closed fist, and the second part (second hand downward palm block/parry) with a stamping fist like the Khap Choy?

Just a thought. I like variations and improvisations. :)

dai mui fa
03-30-2008, 06:17 AM
A thought:

I have been testing this for a while on bags and stuff, and I can see the merit of using the back palm for doing Poon Kiu (the double poon kiu that LKH branch uses primarily) to block/parry/strike.

But IF we want to inflict damage, and to add "heaviness" to the power of the poon kiu, wouldn't it be better to do the the first half (backhand down block) with a closed fist, and the second part (second hand downward palm block/parry) with a stamping fist like the Khap Choy?

Just a thought. I like variations and improvisations. :)

1. "back palm for doing Poon Kiu"? I think it is usually referred to as "dart jern".
2. "the first half (backhand down block) with a closed fist" is call a "gwa chui". Gwa, Poon Kiu, Chap Choy is a well-known and often used combo.

Satori Science
03-30-2008, 06:28 AM
I think you would do it both ways, depending on situation and what you wanted to accomplished, there is a drawing affect ware you pull your opponent into the strike with palm method, I sorta thought thats what poon meant? (I actually don't know...) Otherwise doesn't it just become gwa-chop?

Personally I don't believe in the second circle in poon kui, it is in our sup tse but I think it leaves the centerline to vulnerable. My sifu said he thinks poon kui is not practical and we use a similar movement called got sau to accomplish that same end,

cool:)

CLFNole
03-30-2008, 07:40 AM
The 1st part is a daat jeurng more or less. Regarding on whether or not you should put or hand in a fist it really doesn't matter becuase you will be more likely be blocking with the kiu sow (forearm) also the jing is somewhat of a slapping/flicking power and differs from that used in a gwa choy. LKH hit me with it and I still remember what it felt like.

Regarding the 2nd part turning it into a cup choy, again this is a blocking techinque primarily and travels along a different path and angle to that of a cup choy. We have gwa choy cup choy but it is used differently than what is being discussed.

nospam
03-30-2008, 10:38 AM
In the second circle we step in as it is then used as a controlling measure to force the opponent back and open for the sow choy!

nospam
:cool:

Satori Science
03-30-2008, 11:12 AM
In the second circle we step in as it is then used as a controlling measure to force the opponent back and open for the sow choy!

nospam

I can see that,
it just seems like the second circle leaves you exposed for a second. Sifu would say hook and chop with got sow then supresses and run with Lan or pak sow to keep the centerline.

I can see it though, like that overhand fu jow fighting horse to the inside line you like so much.

nospam
03-30-2008, 11:47 AM
I am not much of a slap blocker, preferring chun ging.

From some of the other responses, it seems our techniques are a little different re: arm (elbow to hand) placement and the type of ging.

Generally speaking, you wouldn't find me using a double wide movement such as this, but as I used to explore this technique and work things out in 2-person exercises, it taught me a little on developing my power.

Ya mon - fu jow does have its moments. When I want to power drive and still control on contact I turn on the she of Tiger! I do a Yat Moon Fu Jow Kuen. It is a very tiring set.

nospam

Eric Olson
03-30-2008, 08:55 PM
1. "back palm for doing Poon Kiu"? I think it is usually referred to as "dart jern".

You are correct, the double puhn kiuh is kind of a misnomer. First move is daat jeung.

EO

Infrazael
03-31-2008, 12:16 AM
You are correct, the double puhn kiuh is kind of a misnomer. First move is daat jeung.

EO

That's correct, sorry for the misconception. I'm just so used to referring to the whole thing (both movements) as Poon Kiu.