PDA

View Full Version : Looking for my old Sifu, in Las Vegas

LooGie
04-01-2008, 09:35 AM
Hey everyone. I'm looking for a sifu in Las Vegas. I was only in his classes for roughly a month before I couldn't attend anymore. This was about 4 years ago. I believe the name was Sifu Shawn, but I really can't be certain.

Anyway, he ran a Wing Chun Kung Fu school on South Las Vegas Blvd in a strip mall that was mostly empty, except for a few Mexican shops and a Christian Book Store.

The school was only open for a few months (the location had alot to do w/ it I believe) and then I heard he was doing some small teaching from his garage.

He's a white guy, not very tall, somewhat heavy, but not really. At least 4 years ago, anyway.

I wish I knew more, and didn't sound so dumb, but he was an awesome person, and a great teacher in that short amount of time I got to know him.

Please help w/ any information if you can. Thank you. If you have contact w/ him, please let him know i'm looking for him, and my email is bradlv (at) cox (dot) net.

Thank you

LooGie
04-01-2008, 10:42 AM
stocky would actually be the term. heh.

Almost A Ghost
04-01-2008, 11:44 AM
Hey, I'm Michael, don't know if you remember me but I was Sean's first student in Las Vegas. He stuck around for a few years after the school closed down. We were having classes for a little while in a music/performance art school his friend ran and then in his garage in Green Valley. Two years ago he decided to pack up and move to Alaska. I still talk with him about once a month or so. I myself have relocated out to MA.

Michael

LooGie
04-01-2008, 12:38 PM
:( What a bummer. I hope all is well with him, and I do remember you.
If you talk to him, let him know I said hello. I was the guy that set him up with the water cooler and all that.

I have some questions for him (or anyone I guess) regarding the Wing Chun schools in Vegas now. There's not alot, only 2 that I know of. Nevada Wing Chun (http://nevadawingchun.com/) which is Ip Ching Wing Chun. And then there's Lo Man Kam Wing Chun (http://lomankamwingchun.com/) taught by Bradley Temple, a student of Lo Man Kam (nephew of ip Man).

Does anyone have any information on either of these schools, regarding teaching styles, good bad, whatever?

If you dont know the schools, but have an idea, based on the lineage whether one might be better than the other, I'd like to hear it too. Please, any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the reply, and I hope all is well w/ you.

Almost A Ghost
04-01-2008, 01:03 PM
Brad, I remember you, you sold my buddy Ryan his Carolla when you worked at the Toyota dealership. You totally disappeared on us!

http://www.nevadawingchun.com is run by Scott and Freda, they are good people and use to work a bit at Sean's school before they ventured out on their own. They recently left the WCKFC and are restructuring their school. I'll be out in Vegas between the 11th and 20th of april for work/vacation, and will be dropping by for a work out Saturday, Sunday and Monday. I believe after that they will be on vacation for the rest of the week.

Sorry, don't know much about Bradley Temple and his school.

LooGie
04-01-2008, 01:15 PM
yup, he bought the matrix first, and his wife got the corolla, then he switched it up. I remember all that. heh.

So, any reasons why they left and are restructuring? As far as teaching, how do you rate them? I talked to them on the phone and they seemed ok. It was very casual. They had forgot class pricing and such. Which tells me they're more about the teaching, than the business side, and I like that.

Almost A Ghost
04-01-2008, 01:27 PM
Ryan still has the car but traded in the wife. LOL.

Don't know exactly why they left the org, just heard they were unhappy with it. I've actually never seen them teach, heck, I haven't seen them in at last 4 years, but they have been in their current location for a while and I've met a few of their students out and about and they were very happy with their training.

Like I said before I'll be there working out on the 12th, 13th and 14th so if you stop by during then you'll see one familiar face.

Michael

LooGie
04-01-2008, 01:33 PM
right on man. I'll be out of town till the 12th, but I'll do my best to stop by. Sadly, the class times dont work w/ my current schedule. Maybe after baseball and stuff is over, I could pick it up w/ them. the Bradley Temple class times are more acceptable to me, but times are NOT what's important. I want to be taught.

How has your training been going? Sadly, when I left Sifu Sean, I never did anymore training. Hopefully I can stay more committed this time. I hate being almost 30 and starting Kung Fu, but a few years and I won't feel so bad :)

Almost A Ghost
04-01-2008, 04:58 PM
My training has been going good considering that I don't as much training as I would like to. I've started to teach a little bit out here in MA, but WC is not nearly as popular or as established as it is on the west coast.

RGVWingChun
04-01-2008, 07:30 PM
I would definitely recommend Scott and Freda. They did leave the WCKFC and are now under Master Eric Li who is a disciple of Ip Ching which is a good thing. I would certainly recommend them.

there is still a WCKFC school in Vegas run by Kenneth Grange (?)...he's a nice guy that I remember from going to the camps with him but unfortuneately, the WCKFC doesn't have the Ip Ching backing anymore that I know of since Oct or Nov of 07.

As per Sifu Sean...Alaska. Don't know when he's coming back. Council authorities said he was on "sabbatical" LOL Pssstt...don't mention that to him!!!

Anyways, hope you find what you are looking for in your wing chun.

Almost A Ghost
04-01-2008, 07:36 PM
As per Sifu Sean...Alaska. Don't know when he's coming back. Council authorities said he was on "sabbatical" LOL Pssstt...don't mention that to him!!!

Anyways, hope you find what you are looking for in your wing chun.

I was at his house when all the people from the council started calling him when the fact that he left the council was pretty concrete. They'd call up and make small talk like where he got his dog or work or whatever and then roll into trying to get him to comeback. Sean's a hell of a guy so it was no surprise people were trying to get him back in the council LOL.

mun hung
04-01-2008, 10:11 PM
If you're in Vegas, try doing a search for Steve Leung. He was a student of Duncan Leung in NYC. When last I spoke to him a few years ago, I think he was teaching privately. I misplaced his number, but if you do a search - you never know. A great guy who's definitely worth meeting. I am actually in Vegas right now for a convention. If you would like to meet up at the Luxor one night, let me know. I always enjoy meeting Wing Chun people from different parts of the country.

RGVWingChun
04-01-2008, 10:38 PM
I was at his house when all the people from the council started calling him when the fact that he left the council was pretty concrete. They'd call up and make small talk like where he got his dog or work or whatever and then roll into trying to get him to comeback. Sean's a hell of a guy so it was no surprise people were trying to get him back in the council LOL.

I only met him once in Texas back in 2002 when he came down with Ron...I went to camp in 2003 and didn't see him there...questioned about it since he was the only other sifu that I knew at the time..."sabbatical"...wow. Can't believe they didn't say the real reasons. Crazy stuff. I recently left the WCKFC myself and was able to speak with him through my current sifu as did my friend Tim....craziness!!!

I hope he comes back to wing chun....from what I have heard he is a hell of a fighter!!! Really knew how to apply the wing chun that he did have.

Almost A Ghost
04-02-2008, 03:19 AM
If you're in Vegas, try doing a search for Steve Leung. He was a student of Duncan Leung in NYC. When last I spoke to him a few years ago, I think he was teaching privately. I misplaced his number, but if you do a search - you never know. A great guy who's definitely worth meeting. I am actually in Vegas right now for a convention. If you would like to meet up at the Luxor one night, let me know. I always enjoy meeting Wing Chun people from different parts of the country.

He only teaches privately and only out of Summerlin (NW Las Vegas). I tried referring somebody to him who's father trained with a student of his brothers out of Florida but he couldn't get a hold of him.

Almost A Ghost
04-02-2008, 03:26 AM
I hope he comes back to wing chun....from what I have heard he is a hell of a fighter!!! Really knew how to apply the wing chun that he did have.

Up until he moved me and him worked out at least once a month and did yearly trips to see Eric Li in Vancouver, but he's having trouble finding people in Alaska. Said it's all crazy people and TKD school's.

LooGie
04-02-2008, 09:15 AM
wow, great responses guys. I appreciate it.

No one has worked w/ Bradly Temple, or is impressed with his lineage at all? He said he's been in business 10 years in Vegas, and Lo Man Kam visits regularly for a few weeks at a time and teaches the classes

mun hung
04-02-2008, 02:47 PM
He only teaches privately and only out of Summerlin (NW Las Vegas). I tried referring somebody to him who's father trained with a student of his brothers out of Florida but he couldn't get a hold of him.

I'll look around for his number and try contacting him myself. I'll keep you posted.

LooGie
04-02-2008, 03:31 PM
awesome. thank you. I did do a google search and found someone who left an email on a forum that said they were in contact with him. I emailed that person and explained my situation and haven't heard back since. I'll let you everyone know if i hear anything.

Vajramusti
04-02-2008, 03:31 PM
Is Steve Leung still teaching privately in Vegas?

joy chaudhuri

Almost A Ghost
04-02-2008, 05:50 PM
Is Steve Leung still teaching privately in Vegas?

joy chaudhuri

I know up to a Jan 07 he was still teaching in the Summerlin area, Las Vegas, NV. At least that's when he responded to my e-mail, but never got a response to some follow up questions I had.