PDA

View Full Version : six and a half point staff training

taichi4eva
04-01-2008, 11:31 PM
I was wondering what is everyone's staff training like. From what I've learned there is a three step process

1. basic techniques. Drilling the six and a half points over and over again.
2. form
3. one on one drills

This seems like a very effective way to train any weapon actually. How is everyone's staff training like?

drleungjohn
04-01-2008, 11:44 PM
1-Spare with different weapons and levels of opponent's
2-Chi Kwan

Graychuan
04-02-2008, 05:50 AM
I was wondering what is everyone's staff training like. From what I've learned there is a three step process

2. form
3. one on one drills

This seems like a very effective way to train any weapon actually. How is everyone's staff training like?

Basically the same for me except I learned the form first, then the basic techniques. Ive been lucky to have been exposed to it early...I have two other pole forms in my Kempo so I picked up the form easily. Its that 8-10 foot dowell thing that Im trying to get used to...a lot different from the 6 ft toothpicks im used to using. :D

LoneTiger108
04-02-2008, 08:50 AM

2. form
3. one on one drills

Most families seem to practice similar variations of the basic drills and even one on one drills (that I've seen in public)

However, the 'forms' seem to vary quite a lot and are very rare, like the knife forms. I have yet to see anyone outside the Lee Shing Family practise the form as we do and I'm looking for relations!

We also practised stick & pole variations which included multi-opponent drills. Very scary, but highly recommended! :D

Here's a thread I started a while ago on this subject. Let me know what you think...

http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48386

Liddel
04-02-2008, 04:41 PM
Im of Lok Yiu Lineage for perspective...we have two different pole lenghts.

The training pole (longer) and the combat pole (shorter for fighting).

My learning goes as follows....

1 - Arrow horse. A stepping and punching drill for the purpose of building strength
in the lower horse.

2 - You learn how to hold and pick up the pole using a standard messurement to make the hands the same every time you pick it up.

3 - Dan Kwan drill, to practice energy release. Drilled untill practitioner can make the tip of the pole create a circle as big as a grapefruit.

4 - Lok Dim Boon Kwan form.

5 - Chi Kwan drills

6 - Free sparring with other poles.

7 - Free spar against other weapons with the shorter combat pole.

8 - Finding pants big enough to stash the pole when i hit the town with my mates :p ;)

DREW

couch
04-03-2008, 05:21 AM
8 - Finding pants big enough to stash the pole when i hit the town with my mates :p ;)

DREW

I have this problem, too. I won't go into details, however.

Graychuan
04-03-2008, 06:15 AM
LOL,LOL,LOL,LOL,LOl

Good assist ,Liddel, and one heluva punchline, Couch!

LOL LOL LOl

RGVWingChun
04-03-2008, 10:28 PM
Im of Lok Yiu Lineage for perspective...we have two different pole lenghts.

I think some FUBU's can help ya out LOL