PDA

View Full Version : greatest martial artist

mkriii
04-02-2008, 01:45 PM
In your opinion who do you think is the greatest martial artist of all time (and you can't say Bruce Lee)?

I have to say that mas oyama would have to rank up there with one of the best martial artist of all time. The reason I say this is because of his dedication to his training while sacluded (sp?) in the mountains for a year and the harsh conditions that he endured such as standing under ice cold waterfalls, etc.... Now thats devotion! Also another great martial artist IMO is (not Van ****) is Dr. Yang Jing Meng because of all his vast knowledge.

BruceSteveRoy
04-02-2008, 01:48 PM
van damme. nuff said

hskwarrior
04-02-2008, 01:52 PM
Hong Kong Fooey-that number one super guy!

David Jamieson
04-02-2008, 02:06 PM
All Time = Huo yuan-jia (sp?) for lifting up the arts of Kungfu in China back to their proper place in the culture.

Contemporary = Ali. (Cassius Clay)

Currently, I can't decide between Serra and GSP. So, we'll have to wait fro 83 to sort that out.

Lucas
04-02-2008, 02:24 PM
With the way the question is posed, I dont believe an accurate answer can be had.

Best martial artists of recent times, possibly, opinionated of course.

IMO some of the best martial artists of all time, truly, would be men who killed others by martial prowess alone. Be it in battle or duels.

We just dont see that today.

I could not pick one.

bodhitree
04-02-2008, 04:15 PM
bruce lee and stephen segal.....

cjurakpt
04-02-2008, 04:46 PM
in terms of real old school, Gilgamesh was da bomb back in the days of Babylon

Beowulf wasn't no slouch neither, ripping off Grendel's arm and beating him with it

I also heard that Gautama Sakyamuni was one tough biotch in his day, before he got all bummed out after he saw old people...

as far as CMA in the last few 100 years, supposedly Dong Hai Chuan, Yang Lu Chan, Wang Zhang Zhai and Wong Yan Lam were evidently publicly acknowledged fighters of some skill

BruceSteveRoy
04-02-2008, 04:52 PM
In your opinion who do you think is the greatest martial artist of all time (and you can't say Bruce Lee)?

I have to say that mas oyama would have to rank up there with one of the best martial artist of all time. The reason I say this is because of his dedication to his training while sacluded (sp?) in the mountains for a year and the harsh conditions that he endured such as standing under ice cold waterfalls, etc.... Now thats devotion! Also another great martial artist IMO is (not Van ****) is Dr. Yang Jing Meng because of all his vast knowledge.

i see you edited this to show anti-van damme sentiments. well i ask you has oyama ever fought himself? van damme did in at least 2 of his movies. the only other person that badass was jet li (but that was jet li from another dimension so i am not sure it counts). i saw it so it on tv has to be true. man you just playa hatin on jean claude. don't you know he was in breakin' (or was it breakin' 2 electric boogaloo). i'd like to see dr. yang jing ming be a back up dancer/ martial artist like that. word.

Steve Hamp
04-02-2008, 07:00 PM
Huo, Yuanjia & Chang, Tung Sheng.

Although there are plenty more that can make this list...but, since I'm giving just my opinion, these two greats top my list.

--Steve

SPJ
04-02-2008, 07:05 PM
agreed that huo yuan jia.

he was open to challenge chinese or non chinese alike.

he started chin woo in shanghai.

--

in terms of theory, I would say sun lu tang.

:)

drleungjohn
04-02-2008, 10:28 PM
what is your definition of a great martial artist?

kismet
04-03-2008, 02:28 AM
genghis khan...he was pretty hardcore martial in nature.

Drake
04-03-2008, 02:40 AM
GEN Sherman. From the Mason-Dixon to the Gulf of Mexico...one mile wide of utter destruction. After he hit the Gulf of Mexico, he cut east and went all the way to Atlanta. Which he burned.

GEN Patton too... who actually advanced too quickly for the rest of the Army to catch up with him.

unkokusai
04-03-2008, 03:38 AM

Wow, your spelling sucks on this forum too!

sanjuro_ronin
04-03-2008, 03:57 AM
I would like to divide that into categories:

TCMA: Hua indeed, the Ching Woo exists even to this day.
TJMA: Tough one...probably Kano, though part of me wants to say Maeda.
Okinawan: Miyagi
****...so many...

Guys like Oyama, Funakoshi, Kimura, then there are the FMA and the Thai...to many...

bodhitree
04-03-2008, 05:02 AM
Instead of saying not to include Bruce Lee, you should have just asked who the second greatest martial artist of all time is, that would have been easier!

Stephen Segal

William Shatner

Buster Douglas

David Jamieson
04-03-2008, 05:12 AM
I would like to divide that into categories:

TCMA: Hua indeed, the Ching Woo exists even to this day.
TJMA: Tough one...probably Kano, though part of me wants to say Maeda.
Okinawan: Miyagi
****...so many...

Guys like Oyama, Funakoshi, Kimura, then there are the FMA and the Thai...to many...

Not to mention O sensei

David Jamieson
04-03-2008, 05:13 AM
GEN Sherman. From the Mason-Dixon to the Gulf of Mexico...one mile wide of utter destruction. After he hit the Gulf of Mexico, he cut east and went all the way to Atlanta. Which he burned.

GEN Patton too... who actually advanced too quickly for the rest of the Army to catch up with him.

Tacticians and strategists don't count, and if they did, sun tzu tops any tech using modern general delivering ordinance with a phone call. Telling others to do your killing for you is in my opinion, NOT an art. :)

bodhitree
04-03-2008, 05:25 AM
I'm also surprised Takeshi Ukeno hasn't came up, or Judo Grandmaster Andy?

sanjuro_ronin
04-03-2008, 05:30 AM
I'm also surprised Takeshi Ukeno hasn't came up, or Judo Grandmaster Andy?

We can go on and on and on bro, and we woudl still miss more than our share of great ones.

bodhitree
04-03-2008, 05:32 AM

Dude, how could you not include VD, dude?

bodhitree
04-03-2008, 05:36 AM
We can go on and on and on bro, and we woudl still miss more than our share of great ones.

My name's not bro! (who am I he he he :D )

sanjuro_ronin
04-03-2008, 05:43 AM
My name's not bro! (who am I he he he :D )

Ok dude, from now one your name is Phil.

bodhitree
04-03-2008, 05:45 AM
Ok dude, from now one your name is Phil.

but it's spelt fill

BruceSteveRoy
04-03-2008, 06:55 AM
Dude, how could you not include VD, dude?

thats what i am sayin. and no one mentioned sgt slaughter. he was awesome he had sunglasses and a whistle and would kick ass and take names.

BruceSteveRoy
04-03-2008, 06:58 AM
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c215/Bass8987/48ac1f4e7bbd3301da468bcaba5ff75f.gif

SPJ
04-03-2008, 07:37 AM
genghis khan...he was pretty hardcore martial in nature.

yes, mongolians are well versed on horse.

calvary was unstoppable by infantry on the great plains.

however, they may not advance in face of a fortified city.

---

SPJ
04-03-2008, 07:45 AM
sun zi bin fa.

the fighting methods of sun zi or the art of the war.

Sun's teacher wrote yi zhan zhi zhan on a bamboo stick.

using war to stop war.

his teacher was fighting wars upon wars all his life.

believe it or not.

sun zi was tired of war even before he started his career with actual fighting.

for a while, a merchant friend with strategy in business and people actually taught him a lot. they would play chess all the time. the merchant friend also provided him with all the bin su or military books at the time. so sun zi studied all of them and started to write or carve his book on bamboo stick.

he believed shang bin fa mou. the best fight is to win by tricks/strategy.

he believed the best win is to win without a fight.

he believ--

so he wrote his book starting from the basic concept of shang bin fa mou,

and he burned his teacher's bamboo stick of yi zhan zhi zhan.

--

SPJ
04-03-2008, 07:59 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFFtAtKdO3g

tv series about sun zi.

TenTigers
04-03-2008, 08:05 AM
Wong-Long
Wong Fei-Hung
Wong Yun-Lum
Tarm Sam
Fork Yuen Kap
Rik Kellerman
Yang Lu-Chan
Sun Lu-Tang
Lam Wing-Fay
Tung Hai-Chuen
Gichen Funakoshi
Higashionna
Chang Tung-Shen
Ngok=Fei

mkriii
04-03-2008, 08:18 AM
Wow, your spelling sucks on this forum too!

What words did I not spell correctly beside sacluded(sp?)?

bodhitree
04-03-2008, 08:27 AM

I think he mis-wrote. You suck, in general! You are afraid of VD but you know VD is the answer, so give in and get VD (on your list), got that, dude!

Hung gar
04-03-2008, 08:29 AM
Gene ching aka iron crotch kick

unkokusai
04-03-2008, 08:30 AM

You knew it was spelled wrong but you were too lazy to go and find the correct spelling? That's weak.

bodhitree
04-03-2008, 08:30 AM
Gene ching aka iron crotch kick

How could we have forgot?????

FTW!

bodhitree
04-03-2008, 08:31 AM
You knew it was spelled wrong but you were too lazy to go and find the correct spelling? That's weak.

Dude just sucks! (a.k.a. he's fed up w/ the eevay eeday)

drleungjohn
04-03-2008, 08:39 AM
probably Dan Inosantos-look at all the things he has done for the Martial Arts on almost all levels

TenTigers
04-03-2008, 11:00 AM
probably Dan Inosantos-look at all the things he has done for the Martial Arts on almost all levels

-and let's not forget his famous quote'

"How do ya like tha-"(POW!)
-the nunchaku scene in "Game of Death"

lkfmdc
04-03-2008, 02:29 PM
In terms of global effect and leaving a legacy, no one comes close to Kano. He went from a few students in a tiny room to a worldwide martial art (perhaps the most popular martial art in the world, do you have any idea how many people in France alone do Judo?). It became an Olympic sport. It's training methodology, "randori", changed martial arts altogether and gave birth directly to Sambo, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and San Shou/San Da. That's a hard act to follow

The next one on the list is probably also associated with JMA, Mas Oyama. Oyama revitalized the idea of Karate as fighting art. He also went from a small group to a truely international organization. Kyokushinkai then gave birth to both the entire Japanese and Holland kickboxing communities! The Japanese kickboxing community in return gave birth to the pseudo "stiff style" pro wrestling movement which gave birth to MMA in Japan. Then of course there are the offshoots like Daijuku, Sabaki, Ashihara, etc

Love him or hate him (most hate him), Cheng Man Ching made Tai Chi popular and international

General Choi of course coined the term "Tae Kwon Do", forced all the major Korean martial arts to unify under it and was the first to dream up exporting a martial art as an economic venture

Young Shul Choi was one of the few dissenters and his Hapkido also led to Hwarang Do, Kuk Sool Won, Yu Sool, and a number of other offshoots. Ultimately, Korea created an organization just for Hapkido and it's offshoots, the Korean Ki Do Association.

Unfortunately, CMA is still relatively obscure compared to JMA and KMA

sanjuro_ronin
04-04-2008, 04:13 AM
In terms of global effect and leaving a legacy, no one comes close to Kano. He went from a few students in a tiny room to a worldwide martial art (perhaps the most popular martial art in the world, do you have any idea how many people in France alone do Judo?). It became an Olympic sport. It's training methodology, "randori", changed martial arts altogether and gave birth directly to Sambo, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and San Shou/San Da. That's a hard act to follow

The next one on the list is probably also associated with JMA, Mas Oyama. Oyama revitalized the idea of Karate as fighting art. He also went from a small group to a truely international organization. Kyokushinkai then gave birth to both the entire Japanese and Holland kickboxing communities! The Japanese kickboxing community in return gave birth to the pseudo "stiff style" pro wrestling movement which gave birth to MMA in Japan. Then of course there are the offshoots like Daijuku, Sabaki, Ashihara, etc

Love him or hate him (most hate him), Cheng Man Ching made Tai Chi popular and international

General Choi of course coined the term "Tae Kwon Do", forced all the major Korean martial arts to unify under it and was the first to dream up exporting a martial art as an economic venture

Young Shul Choi was one of the few dissenters and his Hapkido also led to Hwarang Do, Kuk Sool Won, Yu Sool, and a number of other offshoots. Ultimately, Korea created an organization just for Hapkido and it's offshoots, the Korean Ki Do Association.

Unfortunately, CMA is still relatively obscure compared to JMA and KMA

Funny, all the people you mentioned advocated pressure testing the system to see what actually worked...

lkfmdc
04-04-2008, 10:38 AM
Funny, all the people you mentioned advocated pressure testing the system to see what actually worked...

Actually, neither Young Shul Choi nor Cheng Man Ching really did, but you might note their place in the larger picture is smaller than the likes of Kano and Oyama.

Kano really was the granddaddy of pressure testing, and also the largest and most successful of all, hmmmmmmmm ;)

sanjuro_ronin
04-04-2008, 10:42 AM
Actually, neither Young Shul Choi nor Cheng Man Ching really did, but you might note their place in the larger picture is smaller than the likes of Kano and Oyama.

Kano really was the granddaddy of pressure testing, and also the largest and most successful of all, hmmmmmmmm ;)

Kano didn't do anything new really, except make it "safe" to go all out, randori was common place in jujtsu, it just tended to be "rough n tumble" with lots of injuries and as such, it became less frequent and less intense.
Kano showed that one doesn't need the "uber deadly" to be effective, matter of fact he showed that the basics that one learns in the first couple of years of any system, when trained on a regular basis in the randori method ( I will nott use the term alive) could actually beat the "uber deadly advanced" techniques that, by their very nature, couldn't be trained to their fullest.

Of course the great paradox was that those that trained the basics coudl more easily pull of the "uber deadly" anyways.

lkfmdc
04-04-2008, 10:49 AM
Kano showed that one doesn't need the "uber deadly" to be effective, matter of fact he showed that the basics that one learns in the first couple of years of any system, when trained on a regular basis in the randori method ( I will nott use the term alive) could actually beat the "uber deadly advanced" techniques that, by their very nature, couldn't be trained to their fullest.

but that in itself is HUGE and changes everything

sanjuro_ronin
04-04-2008, 10:51 AM
but that in itself is HUGE and changes everything

Did it change things or bring them back to the way they were?
:D

HardWork8
04-05-2008, 11:59 AM

Sun Lu Tang, Huo yuan Jia, Yuen Kay San and many others in TCMA.

Masutatsu Oyama, Gogen Yamaguchi, Gichin Funakoshi in TJMA.

unkokusai
04-05-2008, 12:13 PM
, do you have any idea how many people in France alone do Judo?).

No, how many? And why is that your point of reference? :confused:

Golden Spider
04-06-2008, 01:37 AM
(directed at the members who have posted thus far)

*snort* ~Chin Shi Huang Ti "First Divine Ruler of the Middle Kingdom"...

golden arhat
04-06-2008, 03:45 AM
FEDOR EMILIANENKO

nuff said really

golden arhat
04-06-2008, 03:51 AM
yes, mongolians are well versed on horse.

calvary was unstoppable by infantry on the great plains.

however, they may not advance in face of a fortified city.

---

i'm pretty sure he took beijing along with the rest of china

SPJ
04-06-2008, 07:12 AM
i'm pretty sure he took beijing along with the rest of china

yes. song army was weak.

song gave money and goods to jin to buy peace.

jin soldiers with money and goods and not fighting anymore.

jin's weapon rusted, horses lazy, too.

any hoo, jin was defeated by mongolian who actually live on horse practically.

mongolian may also sleep on horse.

--

yes, mongolian eventually took southern song, northern area was taken by jin first.

general yue fei was ordered back and "murdered" by minister qin kui.

ever since then, family yue and family qin never marry each other, even today.

--

one of the mongolian kings lost his life trying to take a fortified city without a plan.

that was where mongolians met the first defeat.

--

there are many plans to take a city.

usually, you just surround it and not attacking right away. wei er bu gong.

once the food and water run out in the city, the civilians would force the army to surrender.

there are more--

--

SPJ
04-06-2008, 07:16 AM
beijing was lost to jin first then yuan (mongolian).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Song_dynasty

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jin_Dynasty_%281115%E2%80%931234%29

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yue_Fei