PDA

View Full Version : What helps Emphysema?

RD'S Alias - 1A
04-02-2008, 08:46 PM
Can someone explain what herbs work good for Emphysema?

herb ox
04-07-2008, 08:23 PM
Greetings, RD.

Emphysema can have multiple presentations, so the herbs selected are based on the individual case - for example, is there copious phlegm, and is it yellow or frothy white? Is it associated with any other symptoms like low back pain, aversion to cold, thirst, etc?

In general, though, you'd want to ventilate the lungs, transform phelgm or dampness, tonify the spleen or kidney qi.

cheers

herb ox

David Jamieson
04-09-2008, 07:58 AM
1. stop smoking

2. cardio vascular exercise must be adopted in the way of living

3. increase the lung capacity through diaphragmatic breathing

herbs are not a solution, in fact, there is no medicinal solution. the treatment is an activity based one with more in line with physical activity and behaviour than ingestion of a panacea.

stop smoking is paramount. If that step is not taken, then what follows is useless. That really needs to be driven home.

herb ox
04-09-2008, 08:40 AM
While I agree that lifestyle change is the single most important change you can make, I must respectfully disagree with DJ's statement that "herbs are no solution". Chinese herbal therapy is not panacea. It is strong medicine, sometimes (often times) yielding more effective results than western med. So, please, don't be so quick to write it off. I'm not suggesting it as a CURE, but rather an ADJUNCT to the lifestyle changes.

Herbs can most certainly help.

kind regards,

herb ox

David Jamieson
04-09-2008, 01:22 PM
sorry, shoulda said "herbs alone are not a solution"
they can of course be an active part of the solution, but, there is no medicinal treatment in and of itself that will work against this.

DRAGONSIHING
04-09-2008, 01:58 PM
My father passed from this disease. Interestingly at the time he was diagnosed the family was using a DR. of Chinese descent. He was Western Medicine trained, but was aware of TCM. Even kept rudimentary acupuncture point chart on wall in examining room. As I also used him he was aware of my interest in TCM from my interest in Kung Fu. Our school had some classes in various qigung skills, one being cupping. Our Dr. asked if I would do this in addition to his prescribed treatments and of course I said yes. Later he said it helped my father to live longer by helping to clear his lungs. I am thankful for learning these skills. Leave no path unturned in your search for things to be of aid for those you can help. Peace.

David Jamieson
04-13-2008, 10:46 AM
My Dad died with this disease as well.

He practiced a lot of Hatha yoga before his ultimate demise and it extended his life by about 10 years.

He didn't use medicines other than daily intake of magnesium, which he felt helped him to take deeper breath.

I think the breathing routines approached with therapeutic intention will help the most.