PDA

View Full Version : Master Wei's Book (hopefully)

baldmantiz
04-03-2008, 09:42 AM
Hello Everyone,
I have not posted in a long time and I hope everyone out there is doing well. Please let me know if I misinterpret or misrepresent any information. I am under the impression that Master Wei authored/co-authored two books. I found a web site that specializes in selling out of print books and there was an 8 Step book listed as being written by Master Wei (and co-authored by another person who I do not know the identity of). The book is all in Chinese (which I hope to get translated). I ordered the book and I am curious to know:

Is the book legit?

Who is the co-author (b. 1949 and wears a Chinese Martial Arts Institute shirt)?

What is the history behind the book?

What do the explainations of the techniques focus on?

It looks like the original book was written in 1972 with the reprint taking place in 2002. The ISBN is 986-7822-09-9. I have attached a picture of the cover as well as pictures of the co-author. I appreciate any help that you can offer. I hope I did not end up buying a soup book that Master Wei sold his likeness to (one day I will learn the language).

baldmantiz
04-03-2008, 10:01 AM
I may have answered one of my questions. Is the co-author Zuo Xian Fu? I found him in a picture on http://www.8-step.com/gallery_people.htm (8th picture down).

Three Harmonies
04-03-2008, 10:19 AM
Can't help much. I have the books, but I am not fluent enough to read them in detail.
Many I am sure would be interested in a copy of any translation I am sure, but I must say if you have to pay a permium they contain no info that is ground breaking! May want to save your $$'s! Nice little books, but just general stuff and info.
Good luck,
Jake :D

Tainan Mantis
04-03-2008, 12:27 PM
Hi Bald,

Could you please post the address of the site selling this book?

That fellow is Zuo Xian Fu. He spent more time than anyone with Master Wei. Ran the classes until Wei passed away and continues to this day to teach the 8 Step system as close as possible to the way Wei taught it.

He is very open with informtion and answers all questions. That attitude shows in this book I think.

While at his school I saw his kids practicing throws and thought it looked pretty good( I know that is not relevant, but I liked everything about this guy and his school).

IMHO This is the best book on 8 step there is.

I made a few translations and posted them on our 8 step website.

His goal is to keep the 8 step idea alive and this book is a part of that.
It is a republished version of what used to be sold of Wei's lap in the park many many years ago.

I don't think it is helpful with understanding secrets of applications, though it does have those in there, they are simple explanations of concepts and not the dazzling attacks and counters of 8 Step.

Kevin

baldmantiz
04-03-2008, 12:41 PM
Hi Kevin,
I found the book on Plum Publishing:
http://www.plumpub.com/
Here is the link to the actual book (3rd down):
http://www.plumpub.com/sales/chinese/chinbks_trad9.htm

I actually bought 5 copies (I think they had 6) for 3 of my kung fu brothers and my Sifu (Earthdragon). I hope you can get a copy of it. Good luck!

EarthDragon
04-03-2008, 01:45 PM
Baldmantiz, the book I was speaking about is listed below from the same plumb publishing....

Practical Praying Mantis - TCPM 502
by Wei Xiao Tang
$13.95 Traditional Chinese Characters
143 Pages Softbound - illustrations

This is a book on the application of Mantis technique. It has a sample set of 8 Step (Ba Bu Tang Lang) Zhai Yao Road #2. But a number of technique and practices are shown herein.