PDA

View Full Version : Muk Jong - Wooden Dummy

Grilo
04-03-2008, 05:44 PM
I am wondering if anyone has built their own wooden dummy and if so what have they made it out of. I am able to get free wood and am thinking i will try and get birch if i can. I am wondering if anyone made one out of PVC as I have seen plans for one with a body of PVC and wooden arms.

Almost A Ghost
04-03-2008, 06:56 PM
I am wondering if anyone has built their own wooden dummy and if so what have they made it out of. I am able to get free wood and am thinking i will try and get birch if i can. I am wondering if anyone made one out of PVC as I have seen plans for one with a body of PVC and wooden arms.

One of my instructors made one out of PVC and it was a pretty good substitute! My only question would be about the weight for the push back and give, but he had it anchored into a very heavy custom cement stand w/weights and not hanging like his wooden dummy. We were hitting it full force and it was very solid. He did use wooden arms/leg.

Graychuan
04-03-2008, 06:59 PM
We have ours custom made by one of the students in the Silent Warrior Association. HERE (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5C7lH83Dfk) is a video of his prototype. Follow the link in my Signature and there is picture show at the bottom left of mine and Sifu Rahim with his.

viper
04-03-2008, 09:51 PM
yeh i built my own hardwood i used the body was a old fence corner post and my bro gifted wood worker plained it down to a nice smooth none ragged post then i had the arms turned by a pro all and all inclu oil 140 au.

Lee Chiang Po
04-03-2008, 10:33 PM
I have one made of pvc culvert pipe with flexable pvc drain tubing for arms and legs. I have it suspended by heavy rope so that it can be twisted and turned but will always go back into position. The arms and legs are rather stiff, but will give under pressure. I have a friend that is 6 feet tall. I used him as a model for the height of the arms and head and such. It is pretty accurate as to target placement and the arms and such. I have taped on target points that will prevent my hands from breaking on the hard body of pvc. I like it better than any wooden man.

k gledhill
04-04-2008, 06:18 AM
As a 'training' aid, make sure the arms of the dummy you use don't make your elbows lift up more than a few inches or you will be training to deliver 'levers' .

UKBBC
04-04-2008, 07:06 PM
I made my own, kind of. We sourced a fence post locally and sawed that in half to make 2 dummy trunks. Was a real pain to drill the holes but that took about the 4-5 days. Mounting it was a whole different kettle of fish, as I am renting and didn't want to drill a frame into the wall, so designed a box base with eyebolts to give the dummy a fair amount of life, seems to work quite well, but needs a lot of reinforcements.

KPM
04-07-2008, 03:40 PM

I built my own dummy almost 20 yrs ago and it has held up the whole. I made it from Pine and feared for its durability, but its been fine for all these years. So birch should work OK. I used 2 x 6 boards and cut the edges at 45 degrees on a table saw so that the boards glued together as an octagon. Then I used a draw-knife and belt sander to round all of the edges off into the typical round trunk. I made the arms from a 4 x 4 and shaped them by hand so they would be one solid piece. But that's a lot of work when you can buy the arms and legs already done from several sources now. Back then there wasn't anyone offering dummies built in the US. They were all imported from Hong Kong.

A PVC trunk would work fine as well, as long as you can find the diameter that you want. The amount of "give" in the dummy has more to do with the rigidity of your cross mounts that it does the actual weight of the dummy itself.

Lee Chiang Po
04-07-2008, 10:27 PM
Mine is in my back yard. I have it suspended by large, thick ropes between large trees. It is fairly rigid, but can be turned right or left as you could turn a person. It is not loosely suspended, but tightly, but still can be moved side to side with good force. I find that it is better for me than the actual wooden dummies I have worked with. You can beat the coon dog out of him and he will still be as good as new. The arms are stiff enough to represent arm strength in an opponent, yet you can press them against the body or in an up or down motion that more closely represents the motions of a human arm. The body of mine is made from a 10 inch culvert pipe and the arms are made of the large black pvc pipe that is about4 inches in diameter. pretty stiff stuff.