PDA

View Full Version : New to Enlightenment

Grilo
04-03-2008, 06:03 PM
Hello all, I am new to meditation and really want to learn how to do it. I know its about relaxing and relaxing the mind. I am wondering if anyone has some techniques on how to start out or some tips for beginners.

thanks for your time

couch
04-03-2008, 06:09 PM
Here's a pretty good website:

http://www.mro.org/zmm/teachings/meditation.php

cjurakpt
04-04-2008, 07:59 PM
meditation is not about relaxation per se, it is about cultivating awareness of observing things such as they are (including one's own inner state) without the mind's filter subjectively casting it in reference to our habitual patterns of thought (with the "goal" in pragmatic terms to be less reactive and more responsive in one's relationships and dealings in everyday life - otherwise, what's the point of being enlightened if you are an a$$hole to your wife and kids!); this is achieved in some traditions by creating an environment of stillness of the body and limiting sensory perception in order to decrease the amount of information that the mind perceives, and ultimately a cessation that never-ending inner dialogue that the mind carries on with itself; according to some practices, when this happens, the mind stops translating, and "true" seeing can occur; so it's not really relaxation, and in fact it can take a tremendous amount of energy t maintain a state of on going watchfulness: often people fluctuate between dullness of the mind (and fall asleep) or excessive activity of it, so they are fidgety and begin to follow and participate in the mind's inner dialogue instead of as simply watching it as it comes and goes (hence, following the breath is a common technique used to keep people present but not to get sucked in); anyway, as such, practicing meditation can actually produce anxiety in some people for different reasons, and can even be unpleasant during certain periods; for this reason, it is typically suggested that one have some sort of guide who has "successfully" been through this process, in order to provide feedback during the rough spots (of course, no reason why one couldn't do it alone, but to each his own)

there are, of course, many different paths and approaches to this, and I am only speaking from my own personal experience, and not in an prescriptive or authoritative manner; for myself, the writings of Chogyam Trungpa and J. Krishnamurti have been the most consistently helpful over time, the former's "The Path is the Goal" being the first book i ever read on the subject, and IMHO an excellent means of introduction to the practice;

David Jamieson
04-09-2008, 10:38 AM
1. keep the back straight, but normal straigt, not forced rigid straight.

2. keep the hips above the knees when in a seated posture

3. tuck your chin slightly to fully open the airway

4. relax into a structure that supports itself with little or no adjustments

5.breath normally and diaphrgmatically

6. seal the voids. This is a thing related to passive and receptive meditation practice, best to start in passive mode, so seal those voids IE: touch fingers and hands together, touch tongue to roof of mouth, close the eyes, close the mouth, cross legs and touch feet to body. This will keep the rotation of chi going throughout your body without losing it. I know that sounds flaky to some, but it is likely that those "some" don't really practice much meditation. :)

Hendrik
04-10-2008, 03:14 PM
meditation is just doing NOTHING. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. When the mind quiet down the realization will surface, and there are layers and layers of self impose limiting boundary one dissolved in this journey.

In Buddhism,
the Shurangama Sutra is the key scripture for the Zen practioner.

Now if you dont know how to do that do this

http://youtube.com/watch?v=YFkgFq5lkbw

easy and proper