PDA

View Full Version : Sorry to re-open this can of worms: Standing arm break

Ben Gash
04-06-2008, 06:55 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXlFSXvVV7k
The "impossible" standing arm break, as it is never seen in MMA, in an MMA bout.
Of note is the fact that this is a fairly typical representation of TMA limb destruction, and of course the fact that there is no opportunity to tap, which is why I said you didn't see them in MMA when we had that 100 page discussion, but KF chose to misconstrue what I said :rolleyes:

Yao Sing
04-06-2008, 08:16 AM
I recall that discussion and I think there was a different video that was referenced. I think the argument about the other video was that it was accidental but either way the arm still broke.

Haven't seen KF posting lately but this will bring him back if he's been lurking.

The thing that I notice, not with this video though, is they always go for the underhooks to control the body which is a prime situation for a standing arm break.

Shaolin Wookie
04-06-2008, 09:07 AM
I mentioned it in the other thread. I've had my elbow tweaked in sparring by someone who knew what he was doing, but chose to execute the technique lightly, so he didn't break my arm.

It could work, and I knew it could, and my elbow was sore that day with his light-application.

Lucas
04-06-2008, 06:38 PM
That didnt look intentional. But it did look on purpose.

His body reacted to a situation it felt itself in. But never the less, technique used.

sanjuro_ronin
04-07-2008, 04:50 AM
The moved used there, waki gatame in judo and the "armpit lock" in some other sports, is rarely used in MMA because the sweat tends to make it hard to apply, though I must say that I USED to wonder why it was used so rarely.
Fact is, its one of those that, if you get it right, you probably break the arm, but if you miss you can give your opponent your back, so, in terms of sport, the risk/reward ratio is to wide.
No one is there to hurt the other on purpose, at least not cripple or maim, though it can happen by "accident", as in the case of that clip.
Typically though the guy applying the lock tends to drop to the ground.

Oso
04-07-2008, 06:44 AM
just a tool like any other but one that statistically isn't seen so is accorded a low percentage...nothing to see here.

if you were trying...then if he has underhooks you need to get rid of one and get yourself in the wizzer position and snap the torque. if he resists successfully he's probably positioned him for you to reverse direction for a hip toss. in wrestling we would use the wizzer to set up a 'barnyard' throw.

Becca
04-07-2008, 01:54 PM
I recall that discussion and I think there was a different video that was referenced. I think the argument about the other video was that it was accidental but either way the arm still broke.

Haven't seen KF posting lately but this will bring him back if he's been lurking.

The thing that I notice, not with this video though, is they always go for the underhooks to control the body which is a prime situation for a standing arm break.

Agreed, but I think the argument was "that elbow dislocated, it didn't break anything".... or rather it came down to an aguement on semantics. As usual.:)