PDA

View Full Version : Question for Sifu Frank

seisei
04-12-2008, 08:16 PM
Sifu Frank,,,,,,,,,
This is my 3rd attempt to start a thread when I returned from Foshan the elders there said that If I could contact you to do so. Sifu Haw told me the original name of Jeung,Yim(Hung-Sing) and his style and studio and why he changed them
they said you did quite a bit of long researching and got this info can you shed more light on this topic. I know you teach o G.G.Park I will make an effort to cross the bridge and meet to tal more.They said only our own branch people would really know our history, others would try to discourage us trying to make everyone else praise them and create their own following I would like our own info.
m.

hskwarrior
04-15-2008, 10:06 AM
SeiSei,

Thanks for hitting me up with a question. I don't have the Internet right now so i have to go to the Library to do this. so sorry so late.

Anyhow, per my own personal research, Jeung Yim was instructed to go to Fut San by the Green Grass Monk in 1849 to make contact with the
heads of the Hung Mun secret society. At the same time, he was instructed to open a school and offer it up to the Hung Mun to strictly train their freedom
fighters.

The Green Grass Monk was a major character within the Hung Mun, and is the reason why he changed Jeung Yim's name to Jeung Hung Sing. The Hung Sing translated into Hung Victory, which was a secret reference to the Hung Mun winning in overthrowing the government. When Jeung Yim opened his school in 1849 it bore the name Hung Sing Kwoon. This Hung Sing Kwoon wasn't the same Hung Sing Kwoon that Chan Heung was using. His meant Great Sage Hung. He is said to have also been a member of the Hung Mun Society as well.

Now, at some point Jeung Hung Sing-during the life of the Hung Sing Kwoon- had to change the name of his school because its name was too close to sounding like the Hung Mun and was causing him some negative attention. The new name is what we all use today, the Glorious Victory-Hung Sing. From what I understand, even Chan Heung's son Koon Pak was using Jeung Yim's Hung Sing characters and changed his name to the Heroic Victory Hung Sing they use today as well.

However, one of the things i find interesting enough is that when the current generations of Hung Sing people refer to Jeung Hung Sing, they include the new Hung Sing (glorious victory) in his name instead of using the original name (Hung Victory) given to him by the Green Grass Monk.

In those days, the Hung Mun Secret Society was extremely influential in Southern China. All the men there eventually altered their first names to include the "HUNG" in it. Since secrecy was paramount then, there was a strong play on words in regards to HUNG. In fact, i got a picture of my sifu wearing a Hung Mun Society T-shirt where the front of it had the characters "Ying Hung" which means heroes of course. but the play in words for them was the HUNG word. Instead of using the word Strong (Hung) they use the Hung Mun "Hung" character with the word Ying to form the meaning of "Hung Mun Heroes."

CLICK THIS LINK (http://hshlk.zoomshare.com/album/Our%20Lion%20Dance%20pictures/images/6ecf553eda4bd8a7df876d6269301d54_12032633060/:album?css=/lib/style/helvetica.css&css=/lib/style/type_album.css&css=files/custom.css) to see a picture of my sifu wearing the Hung Mun shirt i'm referring to. On the left side of the pic you'll see a guy in white, wearing shades and a hat. he is the current leader of the Hung Mun Gee Gung Tong.

Drake
04-16-2008, 05:20 AM
Get a job, you bum!

:eek:

JAZA
04-19-2008, 09:17 AM
Frank,

I'll be in SF near Chinatown at the end of the month, If you have some time I would like to meet yout.

Peace,

Jaza