PDA

View Full Version : Just wanted to say hi!

Melonbob
04-14-2008, 06:06 AM
Hello from Ontario! My name is Bob, and I'm just getting started in Wing Chun. I had a trial class last Thursday, and joined up. I'll be officially starting this week. I'll tell you, the first class near killed me, but in a good way. Part of the reason why I'm doing this is to get back into shape after a 10 year layoff from exercise. I have no doubt this will do the trick!

I'm a little confused about sash advancement though. I realize there sometimes isn't even colours in Kung fu. My school has them, but advancement looks to be very slow. I'm not really concerned about that at all, and I'm not really worried about the quality of the school, as it came highly recommended to me by a friend who teaches at a different local school. just wondering if its normal. Also looking for any tips you guys might have to help me along the way, certain clothing or equipment that might be overlooked.

Also, if anyone wants to check out the site, and give me and opinion, that would be great! just keep in mind the site is less than 2 weeks old, so it is under construction right now. the school has been running locally for 10 years now.

Samurai Jack
04-14-2008, 06:34 AM
Welcome, Bob.

Yes, many schools have a pretty slow progression when it comes to doling out rank. If you are like most people, you'll probably find that by the time you get to whatever your school considers an "advanced" rank, you probably won't care much about it.

Toby
04-14-2008, 07:03 AM
What Samurai Jack said. It's been about 2 years since I had a sash grading. Actually, I don't even wear one any more. I'd prefer if it stayed that way. You'll quickly get sick of people (e.g. family, friends) who know you train MA who constantly ask "What belt are you?" and "Oooh, you're only magenta with green stripes belt, my Jonny has olive with red tips belt". Also, best not to admit to training wing chun ;).

Melonbob
04-14-2008, 07:21 AM
I could really care less about the belt progression thing anyways, I just figured a slow progression would be preferable.....at least I'm not getting hosed with grading fees every 6 mths......lol.
As far as the Wing Chun thing goes, whats up with that? I noticed there seems to be some jabs thrown its way every once in a while? Its the only chinese MA available in my town right now, everything else is Karate this, TKD that.....

SoCo KungFu
04-14-2008, 07:50 AM
I could really care less about the belt progression thing anyways, I just figured a slow progression would be preferable.....at least I'm not getting hosed with grading fees every 6 mths......lol.
As far as the Wing Chun thing goes, whats up with that? I noticed there seems to be some jabs thrown its way every once in a while? Its the only chinese MA available in my town right now, everything else is Karate this, TKD that.....

heya Bob...welcome to the forums...hope you brought a life raft...sometimes the water gets rough ;)

Don't be worried about the sash advancement stuff...you seem to have the right attitude towards it anyways.

As for the Wing Chun...nothing wrong with it...if you are around here long enough...you will see there are some "loose ends" in every system. So...sometimes they have to be tied...and subsequently bludgeoned :p

Good luck in your training

GunnedDownAtrocity
04-14-2008, 10:40 AM
Hello from Ontario! My name is Bob, and I'm just getting started in Wing Chun. I had a trial class last Thursday, and joined up. I'll be officially starting this week. I'll tell you, the first class near killed me, but in a good way. Part of the reason why I'm doing this is to get back into shape after a 10 year layoff from exercise. I have no doubt this will do the trick!

I'm a little confused about sash advancement though. I realize there sometimes isn't even colours in Kung fu. My school has them, but advancement looks to be very slow. I'm not really concerned about that at all, and I'm not really worried about the quality of the school, as it came highly recommended to me by a friend who teaches at a different local school. just wondering if its normal. Also looking for any tips you guys might have to help me along the way, certain clothing or equipment that might be overlooked.

Also, if anyone wants to check out the site, and give me and opinion, that would be great! just keep in mind the site is less than 2 weeks old, so it is under construction right now. the school has been running locally for 10 years now.

how is your grandmother?

Melonbob
04-14-2008, 11:33 AM
My apologies............

www.allmasterskungfu.com

David Jamieson
04-14-2008, 11:49 AM
the sigung of that club has a good reputation. i don't know about that one specifically. not saying they do or they don't.

wing chun is a small system, not a lot to learn.

the wing chun shouldn't take more than 2 years (starting from scratch and not knowing anything and never having had an exercise regimen) to learn pretty much everything there is. It's 3 sets and 2 weapons, a dummy set for the jong in some clubs or just a bunch of random techniques in others, with some principle stuff like sticky hands and maybe one or two other things, but as a kungfu system it is highly distilled and not that big on large amounts of content.

Wing Chun isn't supposed to take a long time. It is intended to be learned quickly and used in a short time period.

However, north shaolin has more content in it and the method and progression is longer than that of wing chun.

Lucas
04-14-2008, 02:55 PM
Welcome to the wonderful world of kungfu.

IMO Wing Chun is as great place as any to begin. Personally, Wing Chun was always a lot of fun for me.

Have a blast man.

Toby
04-14-2008, 05:17 PM
As far as the Wing Chun thing goes, whats up with that? I noticed there seems to be some jabs thrown its way every once in a while?Everyone throws jabs wing chun's way, and wing chun throws jabs at itself constantly too. Everyone thinks they have better wing chun than everyone else and bickers and fights about it. Of course, mine is better than all of yours' ;) . Have a look around the wing chun forum occasionally. It's like a grade school playground.

Mr Punch
04-14-2008, 06:14 PM
Hi. As others have said, wing chun gets a lot of flak, but partly because most of its practitioners are asses. Most people agree their art is not perfect, but many wing chunners loudly, obnoxiously and cluelessly declare time and time again that wing chun is flawless and unbeatable.

Unlike Toby, I don't recommend ever visiting the wing chun forum, but since that makes it like Bluebeard's cupboard or Pandora's Box, if you do have a look, check out the posts by an individual calling himself HardWork8 for a great example of why chun si a laughing stock. Ironically, he's currently being noisy on the Reality Forum too. :D

As David says, wing chun was designed to be learned in a short time, but like anything else, the basics should come in a short time, but to get good at using takes longer practice. Think of it like boxing: you learn basic punches, parries etc, then practice them in sparring. If there's no sparring in your chun club, see if those local karate clubsyou mentioned have an open sparring night or if any of the guys want to make one. Just don't kill anyone with your lethal penetrating inch-punches! :eek:

BTW, the standard length of time people quote for chun is 3 years, not 2 as David suggested.

Another wee point: chun is not going to help you get in shape. Adjust your diet (little and often, lots of veg, lots of protein), and pop over to the training forum here (lurk first and use the search function - then you can probably ask people to help you design a simple programme for your goals).