PDA

View Full Version : Heroes Legends

Ayron Howey
04-14-2008, 01:52 PM
I noticed my last fight was talked about in the latest issue of Kung Fu Tai Chi magazine. I have the full fight posted on my website if you want to watch it. I took the fight with 4 days notice of it being a kickboxing K1 rules fight. I had been training for 6 weeks for MMA focusing on wrestling and submissions as that was my biggest weakness. Try and count the groin shots I took. After the one that dripped me I couldn't even think about checking the leg anymore. 3rd round I decided I needed to try for a win or get nocked out, I hate fights going to decision. Ended with me getting knocked out. All in a days work! Check it in the Videos section.
www.wujikungfu.com

Ayron

WinterPalm
04-14-2008, 02:03 PM
Hey guy, I saw that fight. That sucked man!

Props for fighting though.

You were the ref at the tiger balms. You did an awesome job and I definitely felt safe under your eye.

Ayron Howey
04-14-2008, 02:31 PM
Thanks bro. A fight's a fight. I had fun, mostly. I fight for myself and the experience in order to better my martial skill so the outcome is relative. A win would have been nice, don't get me wrong.
I have been judging the local sanshou in BC foer the past few years now. Glad you competed!

GeneChing
04-14-2008, 04:38 PM
Nice to hear you chime in on this.

The article was Hero Legends (by me) in our 2008 March/April issue (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=744). That's actually off the newsstands now, so the only way to get it is through back issues (http://www.martialartsmart.net/kf200145.html).

Ayron Howey
04-14-2008, 04:47 PM
Thanks Gene. Long time!

SanHeChuan
04-14-2008, 07:22 PM
Oh man that heroes fight was hilarious. I would have totally kicked him in the nuts right back. Should have kept your hand up though. But with a show like that you had to know that nothing was going to go your way, and the only way you could have won was by knock out.

and what was with the intro music?:confused::eek:

**** good show of San Da skills in the MMA fight.:D

street_fighter
04-14-2008, 07:39 PM
oh, that's painful to watch. thats such bull**** man, props for keeping your cool, and going out like a champ.

Oso
04-14-2008, 07:57 PM
good work.

what's the tat on your shoulder?

Ayron Howey
04-14-2008, 09:45 PM
I dropped my hand to draw him in but his reflexes beat mine and I paid for it. Groin kicks take away your reflexes, lesson learned. I knew I had to make a move and try something as even though I technically should have won by decision I knew it wouldn't go my way if it came to that.
As for kicking him back in the groin, I don't roll that way. He broke the rules, I didn't. I can live with a loss knowing I fought pretty good and didn't drop to his level. By the way he broke his hand punching me, his foot kicking me, I broke his jaw and his ribs. He spent 3 days in hospital. I had a bruised right upper thigh/groin and that's all. Not another mark on me.
As for my tattoo its Wu Song from Horiyoshi's designs.

Thanks!

Ayron Howey
04-14-2008, 09:47 PM
And my intro music wasn't picked by me! Hahaha. I think they used a 1995 Greatest Hits CD for all the music. It was funny for sure.

Ayron Howey
04-16-2008, 09:55 PM
I also put up a video of my first MMA fight in case anyone's interested.

SimonM
10-08-2008, 01:56 PM
ttt, interesting thread, deserves more attention.

GeneChing
10-08-2008, 02:02 PM
If things go as planned, Hero Legends will make it's American debut early next year. Stay tuned. One of my masters, Tony Chen, is heavily involved. In fact, last week, I helped him translate some materials for soliciting sponsors for this. So you know we're on top of this one. I'll post the news as it breaks, right here for you all.

lkfmdc
10-08-2008, 02:25 PM
Forgive me, but this is a KICKBOXING promotion, not a san da one? Are they really trying to introduce yet another kick-punch format into the US as opposed to san da?

SanHeChuan
10-08-2008, 08:09 PM
By the way he broke his hand punching me, his foot kicking me, I broke his jaw and his ribs. He spent 3 days in hospital.

now thats how you lose a fight. :D

iron_leg_dave
10-09-2008, 05:40 AM
I noticed my last fight was talked about in the latest issue of Kung Fu Tai Chi magazine. I have the full fight posted on my website if you want to watch it. I took the fight with 4 days notice of it being a kickboxing K1 rules fight. I had been training for 6 weeks for MMA focusing on wrestling and submissions as that was my biggest weakness. Try and count the groin shots I took. After the one that dripped me I couldn't even think about checking the leg anymore. 3rd round I decided I needed to try for a win or get nocked out, I hate fights going to decision. Ended with me getting knocked out. All in a days work! Check it in the Videos section.
www.wujikungfu.com

Ayron

Page 88, of the March/April issue to be precise. Mid left photo placement. You were getting snapped in the head with the front of an evil looking Chinese dudes leg if I recall. I was thinking, "look at this white dude, getting owned in China".

Haha.

Very good videos, thanks for sharing, and for working hard at San Da.

GeneChing
10-09-2008, 09:29 AM
lkfmdc, you surprise me with this comment. You're usually really good at reading between the lines. Hero Legends has very little to do with the American market. It's the first privately run, international professional fight sport in Mainland China. They call themselves 'international' because its debut featured athletes like Ayron from Canada and three American fighters. To make it more 'international' they want to hold some fights abroad. They want to play Vegas, fight capitol of the world. That sponsorship pitch I worked up was for sponsors who are looking to support the fights in America, but the underlying offer was to be seen in China. This show will be broadcast on Guangdong Satellite TV, the 5th largest network in China. This not only covers 32 provinces in China, it is also seen in Russia, Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia, Thailand, Philippines and Sri Lanka. The viewership is estimated at 2 billion. While its grand that over 4 million viewers got to see a 14 seconds of a Champs logo on Kimbo's ass when it gets kicked, imagine getting a logo on a Hero Legends champ for several rounds of a stand-up fight.

lkfmdc
10-09-2008, 09:41 AM
lkfmdc, you surprise me with this comment. You're usually really good at reading between the lines. Hero Legends has very little to do with the American market. It's the first privately run, international professional fight sport in Mainland China. They call themselves 'international' because its debut featured athletes like Ayron from Canada and three American fighters. To make it more 'international' they want to hold some fights abroad. They want to play Vegas, fight capitol of the world. That sponsorship pitch I worked up was for sponsors who are looking to support the fights in America, but the underlying offer was to be seen in China. This show will be broadcast on Guangdong Satellite TV, the 5th largest network in China. This not only covers 32 provinces in China, it is also seen in Russia, Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia, Thailand, Philippines and Sri Lanka. The viewership is estimated at 2 billion. While its grand that over 4 million viewers got to see a 14 seconds of a Champs logo on Kimbo's ass when it gets kicked, imagine getting a logo on a Hero Legends champ for several rounds of a stand-up fight.

Oh, so it's another Chinese set up, just exported to NV ;)

Kickboxing / kick-punch formats have suffered a lot because of MMA. ANd of those formats, Thai Boxing has the most schools and supporters. Even Thai Boxing is NOT doing well!

I see San Da as a possible market, because it is more MMA-like, in fact, many MMA fans like the strikes and the big throws and scream "stand them up" when they hit the ground.

But I'm not Chinese ;)

SimonM
10-09-2008, 10:07 AM
See I really like to watch the ground stuff. I find the strategic element of it to be appealing to me. Don't get me wrong, I love the excitement of stand-up fighting. I just equally like the ground work.

Of course watching it from the nosebleeds, where you can't see much detail, would suck.

sanjuro_ronin
10-09-2008, 12:05 PM
See I really like to watch the ground stuff. I find the strategic element of it to be appealing to me. Don't get me wrong, I love the excitement of stand-up fighting. I just equally like the ground work.

Of course watching it from the nosebleeds, where you can't see much detail, would suck.

Yeah, so does the average fan, that's why everyone gets up on their feet when two guys are lubing each other up on the floor...er..oh wait, they do that when their is a GnP going on or a KO, never mind.
:D

SimonM
10-09-2008, 12:30 PM
Fans can't see, fans stand up.
Fans get excited, fans stand up.
Fans get bored, fans stand up (and leave).
Fans have to use the bathroom, fans stand up.

I think what it comes down to is that the inclusion of seats at a sporting event is more just acceptance of the fact that fans are sometimes tired of standing. But people generally tend to stand up a lot at sporting events.

GeneChing
10-09-2008, 02:35 PM
The big difference is it's pro. See that's the funny thing about China and fight sports. There are no pros beyond the Olympics. And those Olympic athletes, it's not pro like we think of pro. It's pro like you work for the government to bring honor to China. Remember what happened Guo Jingjing, the Olympic diver (and major hottie) with her commercial endorsements. How an athlete makes their living is totally different there. Right now, there's little incentive for pro-fights for the individual athletes. There's glory, but that's short lived. There's no money. There was some for Sandawang, but that imploded. This is somewhat in the wake of that implosion.

Personally, I've always thought Sanda was a spectacular spectator sport when fought on a leitai. There's so much tension in the fight when the get near the edge. And when someone gets thrown off - that's just exciting. I also prefer stand-up. Grappling gets a little tiresome. For sure, I respect a good reversal or a strong technique, strictly from a tactical perspective. But I'd rather watch someone get knocked out than choked out any day.

lkfmdc
10-09-2008, 02:44 PM
There was some for Sandawang, but that imploded.

Gene, Gene, Gene, I am sure you know the REAL story behind SanDaWang ;)

What I don't like about Chinese promotions, like all the past ones, is where they "look" to get the competition and how they deal with teh competition....