PDA

View Full Version : Tournaments

mkriii
04-15-2008, 10:28 AM
What is your favorite martial art tournament to compete at?

My favorite has always been Bluegrass Nationals in Louisville because it is always run very well. It usaully starts on time and it is always got good fair judges. Besides that Ken Eubanks was always a class act. He was a very nice man and if you had a problem he was there to help in any way. I noticed this year that it is now AKA Grand Nationals/Bluegrass Nationals. I wonder how it will compare to past tournaments. By the way for those that don't know these tournaments are part of the NASKA circuit.

xcakid
04-15-2008, 12:21 PM
When I lived in SoCal, I always attended the Long Beach Nationals.

Here in TX, Taiji Legacy would have to be one I look forward to.

I really like the smaller organizations though. Seems to you get to know a majority of the competititors and have a chance of networking that way.

mkriii
04-15-2008, 12:24 PM
I can see that but if you compete on a regular basis in one circuit no matter how big it is you still tend to make friends and get to know a lot of them (or at least I did when I competed on NASKA circuit). I met some people that went on to movies. By competing in NASKA I met one of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Ho Sung Pak), Michelle "Mouse" Krasnoo that played in Kickboxer III, and I met Billy Blanks, Jean Claude, and others.

xcakid
04-15-2008, 01:14 PM
I was speaking strictly CMA tournaments. NASKA is not really all CMA. ;)
CMA tournament tend to be quite large, happens only once a year and tend to take up over a period of 3-4days. For example: Lily Laus in the Bay Area, Taiji Legacy and HIMAC here in TX, as well as the Kousho one on the NE, also the one in IL and MD(I forget the names)

The smaller ones I was referring to was tourneys like NASKA, AOK SKIL etc. More like single day, Open tournaments. They tend to have a series of them throughout the year and possibly a state championship of some kind. Lots of politics involved and some screwed up rules, but nevertheless fun. Given you don't go in there expecting to win all the dang time.

Incidently, I met "the Mouse" when she was still coming. I remember when she had just gotten her black belt back in the day. There have been quite a few people I became acquinted with that I occassionally see in movies either as extras or starring is some b movies.

mkriii
04-15-2008, 01:20 PM
Yeah Mouse was hot back then (still is). I remember when she first got her black belt to. I was competing around that time myself (late 80's and early 90's). Those halter tops that she would wear while competing....all I can say is WOW.

xcakid
04-16-2008, 09:35 AM
Those halter tops that she would wear while competing....all I can say is WOW.

LOL. I remember she use to wear pink ones and do splits. :eek: Definitely worth a .5 or so extra on the scoring :D

mkriii
04-16-2008, 10:16 AM
http://www.themouse.com/

Here is the link to her web site. :D

SaekSan
04-18-2008, 08:02 AM
The USKSF (Kuoshu) Championships in Hunt Valley, MD is entering its 20th year. Participated the first time in '93 and it gets better every year...

We also hold a North Regional in Madison, WI - for more info: www.usksfnorth.org

There's a lot of open tournaments around here (north region) but I rather compare apples to apples and stick to the CMA events.

Shaolin87
04-18-2008, 08:39 AM
If any of you can ever make it, there is Master Hu Jian Qiang's (of the original shaolin temple movies) tournament in Hartford CT. His tournament is loads of fun, run really well, and he even has seminars and everything else to go along with it. Although in some divisions have shaolin wushu students from china in them because he has an exchange program from china.

No sanda though:( kinda sucks but its pretty fun.

mkriii
04-21-2008, 12:49 PM
The best tournament around!!!!!!

http://www.akagrands.com/

sanjuro_ronin
04-21-2008, 12:51 PM
There is a annual tournament that is stricly be invitation only, its on a private island and only the elite of the elite get invitations.
Now, it is full contact and no rules and you can die, but they feed you really well and you get laid every night.
What a way to go !!

:D

mkriii
04-21-2008, 01:03 PM
There is a annual tournament that is stricly be invitation only, its on a private island and only the elite of the elite get invitations.
Now, it is full contact and no rules and you can die, but they feed you really well and you get laid every night.
What a way to go !!
:D

WOW......where is this tournament at? It sounds like it has the makings for a cool movie. Now all we need is someone to play the lead role. Who could we get?

sanjuro_ronin
04-21-2008, 01:06 PM
WOW......where is this tournament at? It sounds like it has the makings for a cool movie. Now all we need is someone to play the lead role. Who could we get?

Anyone except a person with a french accent or pony tail.
Probably Asian, skinny too to make it look more impressive but he can't smile or be happy and he must NOT get any nookie, this is a serious movie after all.

mkriii
04-21-2008, 01:08 PM
Well that rules out Jackie Chan or Jet Li. Maybe Samo Hung or perhaps Chris Tucker. Tucker could play the lead role. He's serious enough.

Wildwoo
04-21-2008, 01:37 PM
Well that rules out Jackie Chan or Jet Li. Maybe Samo Hung or perhaps Chris Tucker. Tucker could play the lead role. He's serious enough.

I'd go for it but "I'd be too busy lookin' good!":cool:
You need a Han man?

mkriii
04-21-2008, 01:40 PM
I think that I'd be good for the role of the rich snob that has 10 bags of luggage. But yeah, like you said I'd be to busy lookin' good.