PDA

View Full Version : SHAOLIN training in China

jklaic
04-16-2008, 02:56 AM
Just wondering if anyone has trained in any Shaolin Schools in China. Can you recommend any good schools?

Fei Li
04-16-2008, 03:22 AM
There is only one temple.

LFJ
04-16-2008, 03:23 AM
and people dont train in temples, they train in martial arts schools.

jklaic
04-16-2008, 03:25 AM
yes i know their is only one TRUE temple, but their are many temples which offer training in Shaolin Kung fu.
It's like anything- their was originally just one shop or restaurant, which has now grown into a chain.

LFJ
04-16-2008, 03:27 AM
thats a really funny way to look at shaolin, like a restaurant chain.

can you name such temples? if so, you're doing better at recommending them yourself.

jklaic
04-16-2008, 03:30 AM
i have researched a few, but was just wondering if anyone has actually been that knows if the quality of training is any good.

LFJ
04-16-2008, 03:35 AM
i wasnt aware than any of them offered training in shaolin gongfu. if you are interested in training in china you're better off finding a good school and going there. otherwise you'll be spending crazy money just to be in a "temple", and you'll likely not learn anything authentic.

LFJ
04-16-2008, 03:47 AM
well, now that you've changed the first post. yes, i've trained in shaolin schools in china. the two top masters i'd recommend are of course master shi decheng and master shi deyang.

Wildwoo
04-16-2008, 04:22 PM
well, now that you've changed the first post. yes, i've trained in shaolin schools in china. the two top masters i'd recommend are of course master shi decheng and master shi deyang.

Wouldn't it have been nice if you had actually answered his question instead of the contentious arrogance you displayed in your first two posts?

I see Shaolin's doctrines are alive and well in you.

Wildwoo
04-16-2008, 04:38 PM
Just wondering if anyone has trained in any Shaolin Schools in China. Can you recommend any good schools?

You'd do well to look for a good traditional master here in the USA rather than spend your money on a trip to Chinese Disneyland. If you gotta go China try Wudang in Hubei.
You have at least a couple more years before they go "Shaolin". Plus they got hair!

UK MONK
04-16-2008, 08:20 PM
iv trained in shaolin (dengfeng) for a year. im now living in shanghai but still keep in contact with many people from shaolin. i trained at epo wushu college and the reason i chose that school was because they really train you hard. most schools in dengfeng wont hit you or make you get up in the morning just incase you leave. but with epo they train you harder than the chinese students and epo is the only school that teaches shuijio (chinese wrestling)

if your going for sanda i would go to tagou, if your going for wushu i would go to epo, if your going for traditional kung fu i would go to fa wan/wang temple on the song mountain witch master shi deyang teaches at. or the many small school that are scattered around the area.

i asked the same question on this forum when i was 14 years old. instead of helpful advice i was met with hostility and arrogance. if you have any questions about schools or getting there send me a message. i have many friends in many different school that will be able to show you around.

good luck on your path to shaolin.

UK MONK
04-16-2008, 08:21 PM
p.s i also got friends in wudang that can help you

UK MONK
04-16-2008, 08:29 PM
did you know that master shi deyang has his own school in fa wan/wang temple??? just out of curiosity what school did you train at?

Wildwoo
04-16-2008, 08:49 PM
Great post man! I can see you really trained at Shaolin under an enlightened Master and you understand Wu Di.

Cheers

iv trained in shaolin (dengfeng) for a year. im now living in shanghai but still keep in contact with many people from shaolin. i trained at epo wushu college and the reason i chose that school was because they really train you hard. most schools in dengfeng wont hit you or make you get up in the morning just incase you leave. but with epo they train you harder than the chinese students and epo is the only school that teaches shuijio (chinese wrestling)

if your going for sanda i would go to tagou, if your going for wushu i would go to epo, if your going for traditional kung fu i would go to fa wan/wang temple on the song mountain witch master shi deyang teaches at. or the many small school that are scattered around the area.

i asked the same question on this forum when i was 14 years old. instead of helpful advice i was met with hostility and arrogance. if you have any questions about schools or getting there send me a message. i have many friends in many different school that will be able to show you around.

good luck on your path to shaolin.

B-Rad
04-16-2008, 11:43 PM
Also, check on the current problems with getting visas before making plans... training in China might not be practical for awhile.

LFJ
04-17-2008, 02:52 AM
Wouldn't it have been nice if you had actually answered his question instead of the contentious arrogance you displayed in your first two posts?

I see Shaolin's doctrines are alive and well in you.

if you notice he edited his first post.

i did answer his question initially, which is not what he changed it to. once he changed it to another question i answer that one as well.

when he was asking about training in temples i suggested he find a school. when he asked about schools i told him.

LFJ
04-17-2008, 02:58 AM
did you know that master shi deyang has his own school in fa wan/wang temple??? just out of curiosity what school did you train at?

master deyang's school incidentally. his school is located at the entrance of dengfeng.

UK MONK
04-17-2008, 05:15 AM
i had to run every friday with my wrestling class from epo to the temple and do 5 circuits around the temple and back again. nearly every time i went there me and my class m8ts would have a look around the temple and i used to see master deyang teach the monks kung fu. one time we were walking past each other and i said "ni hao" and he just looked at me as if he was going to kill me lol. i never went to his school at the entrance of dengfeng, was it one of the bigger schools on the main road?

as some one mentioned, its impossible to get a chinese visa until the olympics is over. i have to leave next month and go back to england cos i cant get a new visa :(

LFJ
04-17-2008, 05:37 AM
thats a pretty cool story. :) he is quite a strict teacher. he has to be. he opened his dengfeng school in '95 i think. its moved around a few times.

who said its impossible to get a visa? i'm going there next month.

wuseng33
04-17-2008, 04:02 PM
hey i stayed at shaolin wugulun school fora few weeks just for the experience of staying in shaolin. this school is very relaxed depending on what your looking for they foccuss on real gongfu here making every movement perfect and ready to use. it is shi xing xiao's school but he is sick at the monmet and his training brother is running the school. if you train at this school you will not be running or doing hundreds of sit -ups but will be going back to basics as the xin yi ba way is very different from the standard shaolin you see. whike i was there for 3 weeks i only learnt 3 conbinations and i have been training gongfu for 6 years previously.
hope this is useful

LFJ
04-17-2008, 10:13 PM
nice. thats cool too. where is their school located? heard master shi dejian was opening a school somewhere in dengfeng..? :) thats real stuff there.

Wildwoo
04-17-2008, 10:48 PM
if you notice he edited his first post.

i did answer his question initially, which is not what he changed it to. once he changed it to another question i answer that one as well.

when he was asking about training in temples i suggested he find a school. when he asked about schools i told him.

Okay:pOkay:pOkay:pOkay:p

wuseng33
04-18-2008, 03:09 PM
the wugulun school is out of town a little it is at the bottom of the mountains there is a bus depot near by the name has escaped me of the actual area something park ? you can email them if you are interested in training there they are very good people there:) there website is www.shaolinwugulun.org

TenTigers
09-06-2008, 09:33 PM
I just got back from training at the Jook Lum Temple in Kowloong.
Well, actually, I was the only one training. They don't practice Kung-Fu there anymore, just Seem (Zen) Buddhism. So I went to the temple and practiced my Sam Bo Ging in the courtyard.
Does that count????:o

GeneChing
09-09-2008, 09:15 AM
Of course, I'm a disciple of Decheng, so I'm biased. Here's Decheng's school's site (http://www.sdcshaolin-kungfu.com/). We have a thread going on him here (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44742) too.