PDA

View Full Version : no tourists allowed in china!!!

UK MONK
04-16-2008, 09:01 PM
because of the demonstrations about tibet that have happened all over the world china is not allowing any visa's to be given out or renewed until the olympics is over. they are afraid that demonstrators will disrupt the olympics and they might lose face. by doing this thousands of foreigners that work and live in china now have to leave because they cant renew there visa's. if you stay in china without a visa you will have to pay $50 per day. there are also rumors that you will be imprisoned or deported if you have no visa.

now my visa runs out on may 28th and im asking if anyone knows anyway around this problem or am i total f@cked? :confused::(

SPJ
04-17-2008, 06:46 AM
I have plans to travel from bei jing to lhasi.

I cancel them due to other matters.

:(

SPJ
04-17-2008, 06:48 AM
securities will be tightened before, during and immediately after the games.

I think nobody wants to see hostage or bombing or mass demostration that would endanger the tourists, atheletes, and families.

:(

SPJ
04-17-2008, 06:51 AM
---

or repeat of tian an men square in 1989.

it was the longest demonstration against CPC.

a lot of the rumors surrounding the games this year.

---

all precautions have to be taken by the authourities from Chinese government, IOC and all the governments of participating countries.

peaceful and safe games are benefits or success for everyone.

--

SPJ
04-17-2008, 06:58 AM
talking about tian an men square student demo in 1989.

the students were sitting in and hunger strike "long" enough.

negociatons were made for the students to leave the square.

Deng already decided to take back the square by force.

Premier Zhao insisted on peaceful solution.

He was relieved of all political positions.

Before he left office, Zhao Zi Yang went to the student crowds again, He called to the students that your demands the government knows and will work toward them, please leave the square. (warned the students of upcoming crack down)

Zhao was admired as the a true leader. However, the party saw him as weak in front of something "challenge" the party and government.

---

June 4th student movements that took place in 1989 when the soviet bloc and berlin walls crumbled.

--

SPJ
04-17-2008, 07:07 AM
there were students demo thru out China in 1989.

even the crowds of bei jing took to the streets and "helped" the students.

nobody seemed to know what to do.

at this critical moment, Jiang wrote some pro party comments on Shang Hai paper. He was recruited from the mayorship of Shang Hai to bei jing to take the wheel from Zhao by Deng.

Li Peng was the premier.

--

Zhao was house arrested. several times Deng asked to him to come back to the party. Zhao refused, Zhao insisted on pardonning of the students before he would come back.

Zhao stayed in his house and being watched till his passing.

--

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEF6BQiInd8&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxIera-MtVk&feature=related

Taiwan tv news clip about Zhao was voted out of 5 positions.

Jiang was to take Zhao place.

--

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZxjV0s2CrA&feature=related

Zhao talking to the students. Wen Jia Bao was with him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSmIUZf5zNQ

Zhao passed away.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fIb-PYHWhQ&feature=related

an author talking about Zhao's talk during his house arrest.

including hoping CPC to end single party rule, freedom of speech, and more political freedom or democrasy for China.

SPJ
04-17-2008, 07:17 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viKGP39DWzM

a song in the memory of people that died.

the day will come that their positive roles will be recognised by the government.

or their record will be "retified" or ping fan.

--

liu si ping fan or give proper recognition to the incident of june 4th, 1989.

--

golden arhat
04-17-2008, 07:19 AM
how do they expect people to be able to travel to watch their countries team compete ?? :confused:

David Jamieson
04-17-2008, 07:31 AM
how do they expect people to be able to travel to watch their countries team compete ?? :confused:

most people who go to the olympics don't do so on a whim. The games are planned years in advance, so too are most trips by spectators to the games generally.

SPJ
04-17-2008, 08:02 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5xESEvYb2A&NR=1

some rumors of civil war.

as the 27th army from shan xi positioned in beijing

while 38th, 15th, 16th and 17th army were on the outskirts.

some questions;

1 why the commanding officer holding the pistal while commanding his troops, afraid of soldiers rebelling against him.

27th army was the troops that "cleared" the street.

2. are there generals seeking more powers. are fighting immnent between 27th army and other army on the outskirts. since all the tanks are positioned at strategical buildings and roads and gun facing outskirts.

--

these are not related or not necessary against students and civillians on the square.

--

the source of these theories may not be confirmed.

true or not?

--

:eek::confused:

SPJ
04-17-2008, 08:13 AM
a young dude held off a tank column for 30 min.

--

soldiers of 27th army burned its own trucks, threw away uniforms and joined the civilians?

dun want to "slaughter" own people.

--

that was why the commanding officers holding out handguns?

--

the morale and discipline of 27th army were way low.

--

David Jamieson
04-17-2008, 08:28 AM
can't really offer any comments as those are all in chinese.

there was a bunch of different imagery in them, some even from tienanmen square I think.

Ben Gash
04-17-2008, 09:25 AM
most people who go to the olympics don't do so on a whim. The games are planned years in advance, so too are most trips by spectators to the games generally.

But you can't get a travel visa for China until 2 months before the trip.

Ben Gash
04-17-2008, 09:28 AM
I've just checked the Consulate site and they're still issuing visas, theyjust require more documents.

SPJ
04-17-2008, 02:45 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5xESEvYb2A&NR=1

some rumors of civil war.

I heard a lot of stories, true or not, I wound not know.

1. student side;

a. the students that started the gathering and demo were actually children of high officials, they were warned and moved away before the crack down, that was also why authorities may not move on them initially.

b. the students from the rest of China took trains and went to bei jing, they were the ones that had no clues before the crack down.

c. some students would like to go to bei jing. they were told that the trains stopped and nobody may go to bei ing (right before the crack down).

d, the leader students were all warned and helped to escape to the west via hong kong. altho some were arrested.

--

2. mass movement of troops.

a. the satellite images showed massing of huge troops around bei jing, these are not necessary for clearing the streets. unless there is going to be a military coup.

b/c: local army would not move in bei jing, it was understood as not wanting to move against its own people.

then who would?

or the army gathered around bei jing and not moving in, so that the protesting crowds may move against the officials, then you have a revolution, the army just looked on the side.

or

--

b. the troops that moved into bei jing were actually consisted of battalions or regiments from all over China, so nobody knew anybody plus a strange directing officer recently assigned.

so that nobody would have minds of their own but to follow orders and "move" on to the civilians.

or

troops that supporting different factions of officials were positioned against one another and ready to "fight".

--

or

--

some day all the truths will come out.

--

for now, people just have to know that it was a democratic event, and that some day China will move forward and follow the ideas that were proposed by the students in 1989. then their ultimate scarifices/loss of lives will not be in vain.

--

Lama Pai Sifu
04-17-2008, 03:43 PM
I've just checked the Consulate site and they're still issuing visas, theyjust require more documents.

I don't know if that pertains to VISAS all over the country or not, but I just got visas for China for a group of 10. I got them in 4 days, no problem, no extra documentation. We are also not going to Beijing, so I don't know if that is an issue.

You might be hearing rumors...

lkfmdc
04-17-2008, 06:04 PM
I called them about my Muslim study group, and mentioned that we'd need special transportation because we were bringing large suitcases, strangely they didn't call us back yet? :D

SPJ
04-17-2008, 06:47 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ww6wCv8KQPo&feature=related

a good documentary.

there are 20 episodes.

SPJ
04-17-2008, 06:50 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYe-2kA0PCI&feature=related

an american song for chinese people.

Shaolinlueb
04-17-2008, 06:56 PM
spj

i love how you hijack threads its awesome......

but you do post up some good stuff.

the rumors of revolution video does most of us no good cause we dont speak mandarine.

also

i highly doubt the chinese are going to stop offering visa's and sacrifice the billions people are going to spend in their country. they are so money hungry there.

UK MONK
04-18-2008, 01:39 AM
i have friends in dengfeng and the schools cant get them study visa's or tourist visa's. one of my friends has had to go back to spain.

im now living in shanghai and go to the gracie jiujitsu club here. there are a lot of foreign business owners that are at this club. last week i ask there advice on the situation and they told me that they cant even get new business visa's for there employies. one guy owns a restaurant and his head chef had to go home cos he they cant renew his visa. another person works for phillips and his room mate had to leave because phillips couldnt get him a business visa and he had to go back aswell.

my friends at my jiujitsu club basicly told me there nothing i can do. some of them went to embassies and got there lawyers involved and they still cant renew there employies visas. so i think im going home to sunny old england.

Shaolin87
04-18-2008, 08:47 AM
Maybe you dont have the proper documentation man, cause I just called the consulate and it said that I could get the Visa for a 2 month stay shipped in priority mail in about a few days.

What I think people are getting confused with is the business class visas that are having problems in the Hong Kong area, I guess they are having trouble issuing them, because some peoples passports are outdated, and need to be changed to the new version if you dont have one already. Im getting mine soon and spending the little extra money at the passport officials office to get it in one day.

peace~! and good luck

shrub
04-18-2008, 04:57 PM
ever wonder how a rumor got started??

SPJ
04-18-2008, 06:50 PM
actually, tourism is big in china and taiwan.

olympic games would be a magnet to supercharge tourism in China, Taiwan, nearby Japan and korea.

direct flights will be possible from 3 airports in Taiwan to Shanghai and the rest of China after a new president assumes office in may 20th, 2008.

--

sorry to side track the thread to about june 4th, 1989.

--

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myDJhMfNpX4&feature=related

I like A lan new japanese song.

but I hope she continues to sing tibetan and mandarin songs.

well she is a tibetan chinese from valley of beauty, si chuan.

--

:D

SPJ
04-18-2008, 08:41 PM
with economy sacking under DDP 8 years rule in Taiwan.

the new president Ma would jump start or resuscitate Taiwan' economy

low or no tax for key industries.

low interest loans

--

peace agreement/treaty with China to end civil war.

--

guess what

yes.

tourism is a big industry on the list/

my point is that tourists are welcome both in China and Taiwan.

:D;)

Ming Fai
04-19-2008, 02:28 AM
Currently, foreign students, tourists and employees staying in China can renew their visa up till the 1st July. The Public Security Bureau will issue new visa regulations prior to that date.

Tourist (L), Study (X) and Work Visa (Z) can be renewed after 1st July. Only holders of Business Visa (F) will need to leave the country and re-apply.

For future visitors: Since 7th April 2008, regulations concerning tourist visa application have become more strict. Tourist visa is now issued for 30 days (prolonged stay is possible when proof of neccesity is provided).

Tourists travelling to China this summer, please submit the following documents with your application:

1. Passport: Your valid passport must have at least six (6) months of remaining validity with at least one blank visa page in it.

2. Application form: One completed Visa Application Form (Q1)

3. Photo: one passport photo (black & white or color is acceptable) glued or stapled on the application form.

4. An applicant who was born in China is required to submit his /her Chinese passport or last foreign passport with a Chinese visa when he/she applies for a Chinese visa with a new foreign passport.

5. Tourists to China shall provide round trip air tickets and hotel reservation to the Chinese embassy/consulate (MANDATORY)

In short:

- Foreigners who are now staying in China can renew their visa, except for those who are holding Business Visa (F).
- Tourists who are planning to visit China this summer are still allowed into the country. When applying for visa, they need to hand-in a copy of their round trip ticket and confirmed hotel reservation.

Seppukku
04-19-2008, 05:52 AM
I have news from the inside:

It's like the PS3 prank that Japan pulled a couple of years ago. They're saying that they're only going to give out yay many visas just to drive up the price on documentation so they can expand the Tibetan Empire and oppress the Taiwanese with the Dalai Lama's Imperial Stormtroopers.

KC Elbows
04-20-2008, 12:44 PM
The visas are not impossible to get, they just, for US citizens specifically, nearly tripled the price and required more documentation(flight and hotel reservations). The people it's a problem from are the ones who bought one way tickets: I've got a buddy who did this(he has just finished up his degree in mandarin and wishes to live there for a while in order to master the language- unless he can get a work visa, he's screwed at this point). My visa is for before the olympics, should have no problem, but, for more info, simply go to the Chinese consulate.

It's essentially a "screw you" for the official sanction congress decided to do. While I'm sketchy on the whole Tibet thing(communists versus theocratics, no idea who to root for), things like boycotting opening ceremonies that no one really cares about and official scoldings by nations that have no intention of changing their relation to the country in question are weak.