PDA

View Full Version : Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

Steve C.
02-02-2001, 12:33 AM
The martial arts film "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" has opened nationwide in the US. What's your opinions of this movie?

Check out this month's cover story on Kung Fu Online for my review and some cool pics from the film.

http://www.kungfuonline.com

cho
02-02-2001, 06:08 AM
I really liked it. The choreography was great, the flying actually looked good, especially the tree-top fight. Michelle Yeoh looked better than Chow Yun-Fat.

The only thing I didn't like was that they went a little overboard with the people flying. The rooftop traveling I could take, but the jumping on water was a bit much.

HuangKaiVun
02-02-2001, 03:36 PM
Some of the story was hokey, but the acting was superb and so was the martial choreography.

Sans wires, the movie truly would've been awesome.

I didn't think Chow Yun Fat looked worse than Michelle Yeoh did.

Kung Lek
02-05-2001, 06:06 PM
It was an epic love story.

I finally got to see it and I really liked it.

A love and morality tale at the top of the queue.
The flying was fine! That was a big element in the heroes stories anyway. This is not a commanality in the west unless you start equating the heroes of ancient china with the heroes of the western world (batman, daredevil and those guys). Same concept.
Besides, from what I understand, the flying was one of the secrets from the wudan manual that jade fox stole. So it f with the story inasmuch that only those that were trained at wudan or had access to the stolen manual were the ones who "flew" in the movie.

As a love story it was superb!

peace

Kung Lek

HuangKaiVun
02-10-2001, 03:38 PM
To me, this movie was a nice "chick flick".

I'm not fond of the perversion, and the actors weren't very convincing from a martial standpoint.

Their doubles weren't bad, but they obviously weren't true traditional martial artists due to their lack of power.

Jimbo
02-10-2001, 06:19 PM
In spite of what I think of the flying around, overall it was a very fine film. But I think demographics can play a part in what people think of the film.

I saw it a couple times...once in a downtown art-house theatre and it was a big hit there...the audience had a lot of Chinese or non-Chinese who seemed into Chinese culture.

The second time I saw it was in an upper-class area shopping mall multi-plex, and the reactions were very mixed. After the movie I could hear some elderly Caucasian couples proclaim that "that was terrible, just terrible." And "I couldn't understand the story at all."

I think if you're the type of person open to new things, or are familiar with these wu-xia films, you'll like it. But certain people only go to movies because they are rated four stars by the critics, and they expect the story to conform to Western standards, like The English Patient or something. Then they're disappointed when it does not, or when they actually have to read subtitles.

As for the fight scenes, I thought Chow Yun-Fat was very convincing (though he had a Wushu double in the sword form scene). Michelle Yeoh also looked good, but she too had a Wushu double for parts of the weapons fight. IMO Zhang Zi-Yi was not very convincing at all, and unlike Chow and Yeoh, she appeared like an actual Wushu athlete, but had zero power at all.
Jim

8stepsifu
02-11-2001, 07:00 PM
perversion??? YOu mean the dessert nookie? That was great!

King of the Assyrians

HuangKaiVun
02-11-2001, 10:36 PM
But the REPEATED perversion of the sifu-student relationship was not.

A Taoist master sleeps with his girlfriend, that girlfriend steals his manual and kills him, HER student steals the manual from her, that student goes on and nearly kills her friend, and then the master's student gets caught up in his maniacal lust for revenge and gets killed himself.

Soap opera stuff like this is why perversion SELLS.

meltdawn
02-24-2001, 05:58 PM
I think it beats everything out there. it's not Fist of Legend, but any kung fu movie is better than no kung fu movie!

The most powerful line, summing up the angst in the film was:

"Wudang is full of *****s!"

Whew! I won't be taking my master to see this one!

"Waiting is bad." - Musashi

billy_pilgrim
02-25-2001, 03:48 AM
But I'm a sucker for surreal cinematography and left field narration.
As far as the punching and kicking goes, we've all seen better, but rarely filtered through a lens like the one Ang Lee possesses...

mad taoist
02-25-2001, 01:42 PM
Did anyone think to ask, how did Lo put up such a good fight with Jen ? He grappled!

'If we do not go within, we go without'.

GeneChing
03-07-2001, 07:48 PM
It is so gratifying to see CTHD succeed. For years, I think we all believe that kungfu movies were great cinema, not just "B flicks" as the general public perceives. But to see a kungfu movie get 10 academy award nominations! That takes us to a whole new level. Never thought I'd see the day...

CTHD was a great tribute to the classic wu xia pian genre, really the first martial arts movies prior to Shaw and Golden Harvest. Casting Chang Pei Pei was Ang Lee's acknowledgement to those great early movies. CTHD had one thing that kungfu movies have always lacked - high production value. Hopefully, this will raise the bar for other filmmakers.

It was a shame that Michelle didn't get a nomination. I can only think of one Asian that was ever nominated - Haing S. Ngor for supporting in Killing Fields. The academy has always overlooked asians, but maybe with CTHD this will change.

I also think Chow has yet to really show his talents in a US film. In line for CTHD, I overheard someone say "Did you see CYF in Replacement Killers? He was awesome." If he only knew...

BTW, if you followed Kungfu Qigong, we busted out with a CTHD teaser in our exclusive CYF interview after he did Anna and the King in April of LAST year...

I've got my fingers crossed for CTHD to sweep. It's the first Academy Awards show that I've been really excited about in years.

Gene Ching
Asst. Publisher
Kungfu Qigong Magazine & www.KungfuMagazine.com (http://www.KungfuMagazine.com)

Jimbo
03-08-2001, 01:01 AM
Gene:
I also think Chow Yun-Fat has never shown his true acting talents in films that get U.S. release. He's a great actor with a lot of screen presence, but movies like "Replacement Killers" or the one he did with Mark Wahlberg waste him and make him one-dimensional. And CTHD only had him a little bit.

I hope Hollywood eventually allows him to show his best onscreen, and also Michelle Yeoh, so that Asians can start to be taken seriously as actors (Jackie Chan and Jet Li certainly will not be). I've seen Anglo films where the actors had less screen chemistry/presence than Chow or Yeoh, who got academy awards for their performances.
Jim

Boulder Student
03-26-2001, 05:29 AM
I know there is already a Good movie/bad movie thread. I just want to talk about the representation of Taoism in the movie.

I posted on another thread about the Taoist perspective Croaching Tiger presents.

Okay a couple of examples:

The Green Dragon was very flexible and a Wudang warriors weapon. Every other jian in the movie was far more rigid.

No matter what a little sh!t Jen was, she was never made out as bad or good. The worst she was called was a potential "poisoned dragon" or "you are not my sister." No good or evil except for Jade Fox, but she had a history with White Crane...maybe she was just a bitter jilted lover...not truly evil?

What do you think? Most martial arts movies are "Shaolin/Confucian" in technique and philosophy(even Tai Chi Master). CTHD seems to be consistenetly Taoist/Internal.

One must toughen up without losing one's tenderness.

beiquan
03-26-2001, 11:11 PM
"Shaolin/Confucian"?

explain please...

Mr. Nemo
03-26-2001, 11:19 PM
That movie did have Taoist imagery coming out the a$$. The picture of the wagon wheels when Shu Lien's people first pulled into beijing, numerous shots of "empty vessels," yes, the green destiny, and Sir Te's advice to Governor Yu are some examples. Straight swordplay as I understand it is one of the "softest" kinds of combat, and shares many similarities with calligraphy (there's a scene about that too).

I've always nurtured the theory that almost all of Jackie Chan's movies are Taoist at heart, as well.

Kung Lek
03-26-2001, 11:23 PM
Hi-

While there was definitely a Taoist flavour in the imagery and so on, the "martial arts" were choregraphed martial arts and were drawn upon from a variety of sources to produce what looked the best on film.

please visit http://www.crouchingtiger.com and read what Ang Lee and Yuen Wo Ping have to say about the MA in the movie. As well there are quick time movies of interviews with both of them at this site and in these interviews, they will be the first to tell you a little about "movie fu"

peace

Kung Lek

Matt-le-kat
03-26-2001, 11:28 PM
hmmmmmmmm, i've not seen it yet
worth seeing?

Nothing is to be feared, only understood....

AsianSifu
03-26-2001, 11:48 PM
Conan the Barbarian was one too. In the end the bad guy "detatches" from his head.
Any psycologist can tell you that this is a symbol for letting go of one's thoughts and worries.

Crouching Tiger was a Taoist outreach propaganda, however in the end he chose attatchment and love over detachment and enlightenment proving that Conan The Barbarian is far truer to taoism. :) :( :o :D :eek: :rolleyes: :cool:

I don't have a signature because I have no pen to write it.

Ryu
03-26-2001, 11:55 PM
No more Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon threads!! Ugh! :eek:

Actually the film seemed to say that undisciplined energy tends to fall into destruction if not placed on a proper path. I agree.

Now no more!! LOL

http://judoinfo.com/images/kimura1.gif

judo legend, Masahiko Kimura

Waidan
03-27-2001, 02:02 AM
I'm SO glad to see someone else mention Conan as something other than a muscle-guy flick. Artisticly, it's fantastic (from the sets & costumes to the soundtrack), and it's filled with some brilliant philosophical points.

The Destroyer, however, sucked horribly.:(

Budokan
03-27-2001, 05:33 AM
Did the director of "Crouching Tiger..." direct any other martial arts movies you guys would recommend?

K. Mark Hoover

rogue
03-27-2001, 06:04 AM
Yes, Sense and Sensibility. Emma Thompson kicks some major butt in that one!!!

apoweyn
03-27-2001, 07:00 PM
Budokan,

Ang Lee actually directed a movie called "Push Hands." It's not a martial arts movie, per say. Nothing at all like Crouching Tiger. But, obviously, it does make extensive reference to taiji.

It's about a chinese man, his caucasian wife, and his father, who lives with them. His father is a taiji teacher at the local Chinese cultural center.

The movie centers on the cultural clashes resulting from a traditional chinese elder living with an American daughter in law.

Good flick. With some interesting taiji scenes.

Aside from that, Ang Lee hasn't ventured into martial arts much.

Stuart

8stepsifu
03-27-2001, 08:07 PM
In both push hands and crouching tiger, MA ability is shown by catching something before it falls. I'm sure that most of you can relate.

also, you have got to check this out.

The Father of "Kung Fu Rythm" and spiritual Son of Jackie Chan

http://uzair.20m.com
http://sipra.20m.com

8stepsifu
03-27-2001, 08:07 PM
In both push hands and crouching tiger, MA ability is shown by catching something before it falls. I'm sure that most of you can relate.

also, you have got to check this out.

The Father of "Kung Fu Rythm" and spiritual Son of Jackie Chan. He's gonna be in movies soon, buy stock in his company.

http://uzair.20m.com
http://sipra.20m.com

Budokan
09-05-2001, 10:00 PM
For those who didn't know:

CTHD won the prestigous fan-based Hugo Award for best science fiction and/or fantasy movie last week at WorldCon, the largest SF convention held throughout the year. If I'm not mistaken, it's the first time a MA film ever won this award.

K. Mark Hoover

apoweyn
09-05-2001, 10:30 PM
My good friend Brian was there. Guess he missed that one.

Stuart B.

shaolinboxer
09-05-2001, 10:30 PM
It won in the catagory of "Dramatic Presentation".

Other winners in this category:
Galaxy Quest
Contact
The Truman Show.....
Back to the Future
Raiders of the Lost Ark

Ryu
09-05-2001, 11:11 PM
RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRGH!!!!!!

....cough cough...weeze.....

http://judoinfo.com/images/kimura.jpg

"One who takes pride in shallow knowledge or understanding is like a monkey who delights in adorning itself with garbage."

Felipe Bido
09-05-2001, 11:15 PM
Are you in the bathroom, perhaps..please, close the door..we can hear you from here :D

Mendacem Oportet Esse Memorem (A Liar Must Have a Good Memory)

logic
09-05-2001, 11:15 PM
Is that you?
and if so how much are you benchin there.
And whats your max.

Honest Neutral Clarity

Ryu
09-05-2001, 11:16 PM
oops, terribly sorry.

*closes door*

*from within the stall KF hears:..."No more CTHD threads!!"

;)

Ryu

http://judoinfo.com/images/kimura.jpg

"One who takes pride in shallow knowledge or understanding is like a monkey who delights in adorning itself with garbage."

ATENG
09-05-2001, 11:34 PM
(nt)

---------------------
Its all fun and games til someone loses an
eye. Then its just fun.

logic
09-05-2001, 11:58 PM
oops, sorry bout that :)

Honest Neutral Clarity

anerlich
09-06-2001, 12:02 AM
And Harry Potter / The Goblet of Fire won a Hugo as well.

Both of these are great ... I'm just not sure I'd call either of them SF.

Budokan
09-06-2001, 03:05 PM
You're right, they're not SF, but the category is somewhat open-ended and anything even remotely approaching fantasy is accepted.

K. Mark Hoover

JasBourne
09-18-2001, 04:12 PM
You have GOT to be kidding. It was a barely passable story. CTHD was a 'pretty' kungfu movie, that's all. A Hugo??? (looks up at sky, checking for pigs)

swordsoul
03-31-2003, 08:05 PM
Sometimes in circles i'm afraid to express my opinion/enthusiasm about ANYTHING because some uppity snob will slap me down with something to the effect of "are you insane?? how could you like that!? it was crap!!!" If you are a fan of anime or manga you are likely to have been on either end of this conversation...

Crouching TIger was a great movie. Most of what america has been exposed to when they think of movies like this is exactly responsible for "Kung Pow: enter the fist." Now, i've never seen that movie, but my opinion is people see wireworks in the first place and they scoff and make fun of the dubbing.
In my opinion, the attitude and mood of this movie is what made it what it was. Yes, i've seen better fights, and i laugh everytime someone mentions kevin costner's accent in Robin Hood so i can appreciate Chow Yun Fat's shortcomings in the movie. However, what have people who CAN'T pick apart his sword form in the movie been exposed to??? how many of you signed up for a kung fu class or couldn't wait for more martial arts movies after you saw Rumble in the Bronx?? i know some of us have been here a lot longer, but honestly, we owe a lot to Crouching Tiger, the Matrix, etc...

Which brings me to my next point. The attitude and mood of this movie is what made it what it was. Have you ever shown a friend Once Upon a Time in China and they thought it was completely silly? Did they have the same reaction to Crouching Tiger? I'm going to guess not, because the movies, regardless of the validity of their techniques (or whatever the problems critics had with the fighting, i think it's an important point that wasn't it nominated for best dance????) take themselves seriously, and the special effects are JUSTIFIED. Why can people run up walls in the Matrix? Not because the director just thought a "plain ol' fight" would be boring but because the presentation suspended the audiences beliefs and made what we see on the screen seem natural and cool... same with CTHD. We get used to the world and how things are very quickly, and with the beautiful music and plot, we can appreciate how the "physics" work a lot more. This talk of the fighters looking cartoonish is like complaining about the boxing in Rocky looking bad, i don't think i have to explain THAT to this board :) ... It's not necessarily about the fighting.. the motions of the actors (sigh, and doubles ;) ) the music, the cinematography perfectly match the mood of the film, in my opinion.

As a martial arts movie, or even a love story (tragedy?) i've seen better. As a fantasy, and an ACTION flick... i think it deserved every award it got. Costner's accent is terrible (unlike some other robin hoods..., lol) the sword fighting was meh... but that doesn't mean Robin Hood wasn't a great time, and in my opinion i think it deserved all its praises too, (Same goes for the matrix, mwa ha ha)

love and unity,
matt

(P.S. On the other hand, any suggestions for looking for "good" wushu/ action flicks? because this movie has sent me on a non-stop quest for them...)

@PLUGO
04-01-2003, 10:32 AM
I totally Dig CTHD...

it certainly changed how "people" view that genre... Also, the advent of subtitled films in general.

I suppose it's an upshot in globalization... you can go to your local multiplex and actually see a subtitled movie.

I remember going to see Brotherhood of the Wolf at such a multiplex & at every ticket counter there was a printed out warning that "this movie is in FRENCH with English subtitles" I guess this was an attempt to avoid refunding tickets for folks too lazy to read...

But Back to CTHD, Ang Lee rocked that film. Great action (not purist Kungfu) beautiful scenes COOL weapons and design (especially with some of the background charactors in the scene at the tea house).

If you haven't seen it... check out IRON MONKEY...
another personal favorate.

firepalm
04-02-2003, 03:18 AM
My personal faves;

Black Sheep Affair starring Chui Man Chuek
Blade starring Chui Man Chuek
Arhats of Fury (whole host of wushu athletes)
Blade of Fury starring Cynthia Khan, Chin Siu Ho
Operation Scorpio starring Chin Ka Lok, Lau Ga Leung & Yuen Chung
Heros of the Marsh (whole host of wushu athletes)
Fist of Legend starring Jet Li
Kickboxer starring Yuen Biao

For old school Hot Cool & the Vicious starring Delon Tan & Don Wong.
Project A starring Jackie Chan, Sammo Hung & Yuen Biao

Theres some stuff to start with.:cool:

@PLUGO
04-02-2003, 10:44 AM
Fist of Legend rocked...

another classic...

Dreadnaught

Progidal Son also....

SanSoo Student
04-02-2003, 10:15 PM
I like Magnificent Butcher, and as for flying-fu..
The best Flying-fu movies are with Ekin Cheng.
Storm Riders....
A Man Called Hero...
The best flying-fu ever.

cho
04-03-2003, 09:46 AM
Heck, I make fun of people who like The Matrix...

there were plenty of movies with much better kung fu like Iron Monkey, but I think CTHD appealed to western audience because of the romance story of the film.

another Ekin Cheng swordsman movie - "The Duel"

swordsoul
04-03-2003, 08:39 PM
wow i thought i was gonna get the crap kicked outta me for posting that for some reason, lol!

fist of legend woot woot!

i enjoyed iron monkey severely. I also really enjoy Tai Chi Master.

Thanks for the advice guys!!

( i can't believe i didn't think of this, but as a fencer myself i wasn't THAT P.O'd that the musketeer fighting wasn't fencing NOR kung fu.. so that's sorta relevent. By the way, Mask of Zorro with mr. banderas is good fencing, lol)

Will defitely check out yon flying-fu movies. And that's a great point about actually finding subtitled movies now.

unity
matt

Laughing Cow
04-03-2003, 08:46 PM
Watched CTHD and wasn't that impressed with it.

The obvious wire-work annoyed the crap out of me, sorry guys SFX shouldn't be easy to spot.

Story-line was kinda ok, overall better than a lot of other movies I have seen bot nowhere near the top.

Cheers.

P.S.: So that you can hate me even more most Jet Li Movies, IMO, aren't that hot either.

dwid
04-04-2003, 09:29 AM
Heck, I make fun of people who like The Matrix...

I don't think most people who like the matrix like it for the kung fu.

The fact is simply that the matrix has a better story than 95% plus of kung fu movies. It has broader appeal because the action is just one of the things it has going for it.

dwid
04-04-2003, 09:30 AM
P.S.: So that you can hate me even more most Jet Li Movies, IMO, aren't that hot either.

Wow, finally something LC and I can agree on. I feel a deep disturbance in the force.

:D

swordsoul
04-04-2003, 01:48 PM
yeah. actually back to jet li there's a nice fanmail or on his website about how it's not about the technique but the story and action that builds up to the actual fight that counts (that being said how did that P.O.S. cradle 2tg get released??) so yeah, matrix wasn't about the fighting, really. Anybody ever see Ghost in the Shell?? it will remind you a lot of that. and the wachowski brothers aren't shy about claiming their influences from that movie.

@PLUGO
04-04-2003, 02:59 PM
the wachowski brothers aren't shy about claiming their influences from that movie.

Ever read The Invisibles (http://www.barbelith.com/bomb/) ?

;) :cool:

swordsoul
04-04-2003, 10:16 PM
man, that looks great! what IS (ARE) the invisibles? how did you come across it? etc.. etc... tell me about it mister! lol

@PLUGO
04-07-2003, 11:01 AM
If you dug The Matrix

you should run out to any comicbook shop and ask for THE INVISIBLES...

The comics are collected in a series of books (trade paperbacks) (http://www.megacitycomics.co.uk/acatalog/Invisibles.html)

Say you want a revolution (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1563892677/qid=1049738034/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_1/002-5718067-4875252)

Apocalipstick

Entropy In The UK

Bloody Hell In America

Counting To None

Kissing Mister Quimper

Invisible Kingdom (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1401200192/qid=1049738034/sr=2-2/ref=sr_2_2/002-5718067-4875252)

one of the the most mindbending reads... and with cool pictures :p

But we should be talking about comics here. (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18130)

KC Elbows
04-09-2003, 12:10 PM
You know, I don't buy this whole "Western audiences liked CTHD because they aren't used to all the Hong Kong stuff" argument.

Hong Kong martial arts flicks are fun, but aside from the fight choreography, like 999 out of 1000 of them[warning: sweeping generalization] have not much artfulness to them, force fed propaganda in them, and no attempt at serious acting. Add to that the fact that most of them are the same exact story, INCLUDING Once Upon a Time in China, CTHD, which focussed more on the movie making aspects than most martial arts flicks, which save on budget by spending on choreography, which save on writers by spending on choreography, ad infinitum, this world where kung fu flix aren't crap to the non-kung fu practitioner is about as much a fantasy as CTHD, except CTHD has Michelle looking all forlorn, and that's the sort of fantasy people want.

There's a reason that mostly martial artists and teens watch once upon a time, but CTHD is watched by a variety of age ranges. I happen to like both, but as an example of good movie making that really reaches people, I pick CTHD, and as an example of kung fu choreography with some nice location shots, I pick Once upon a time. But I'd never give Jet any awards for acting, much as I like his kung fu. Every line, it's like he's thinking about acting, and then, suddenly, decides against it.

Fu Jau
04-10-2003, 04:55 AM
But really what matters about all these technicalities, the thing is that Crouching tiger is just a beautiful film, right?

jethro
02-16-2006, 03:59 PM
I rip everybody I come in contact with for liking that super-simplified piece of crap movie, watch Hero for better wire-fu, and better story.:D

doug maverick
07-05-2006, 10:21 AM
been collecting the comics since they came out! all the way up to the twelth issue which is the final one. this comic was so much better then the movie, so much more kung fu even the story arch blew that garbage ass movie away!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shaolinlueb
07-05-2006, 11:46 AM
are you talking about the one from comics one? i got 1-4 they are good.

@PLUGO
07-05-2006, 11:48 AM
I read the first 3 collected and translated volumes made available by Comics 1. I think other volumes are around I just haven't picked them up.

Lovely artwork. Fun story... maybe I should hunt the other digests down.

doug maverick
07-06-2006, 10:01 AM
it get better and better espiecially the art work. they start using hand painted artwork and enhance digitally and they swicth to glossy paper all starting in issue five.

GeneChing
07-23-2010, 01:44 PM
Here's some associated CTHD threads, just to keep things tidy.

Composer Tan Dun Scores Oscar with CROUCHING TIGER: From operas to symphonies to film scores (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/article.php?article=19) by Wade Major

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon: An Evening At The Academies (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/article.php?article=327) by Craig Reid

At this posting, it's mentioned on over 60 threads here including this one.

Why bring this up now? Because it CTHD just went Blu-Ray and you could win one in our latest sweepstakes (http://www.kungfumagazine.net/index.html). Contest ends 6:00 p.m. PST on 08/05/2010. Good luck everyone!

TenTigers
07-23-2010, 01:50 PM
CTHD is one of my faveorite Mo Hop Peens! That, and Heaven Sword, Dragon Saber.(not the Jet Li Kung-Fu Cult Master drek)
Hey Gene, do you know of some other good Mo Hop Peens?
There was one I saw many years ago, but can't remember the name. All I remember is one guy had "Energy Absorption Stance" and there was a scene where one of them shot their energy and it split a horse in two....another scene where the bad guy's minions came in these flying lanterns through the forest...
I bet a Chinese version of Krull would be cool...

mickey
07-25-2010, 07:19 AM
Greetings,

When I first saw the title of this movie I thought it was something for adults only. This isn't the first time Ang Lee did this. Does anyone remember "Eat Drink Man Woman"? By the way the opening sequence (which was beautiful) and the story may have inspired the making of the movie "Soul Food." I thought, from the title, that "Eat Drink Man Woman" was about Tantra. The guy I rented it from in Chinatown told me the movie was disappointing. I didn't understand until I saw the movie. So, as it stands now, I am very wary about any Ang Lee movie that has an ambiguous title.

mickey

doug maverick
07-25-2010, 08:17 AM
mickey you have a dirty mind...when i heard the title i just thought kung fu film....well wuxia but whatever...i didnt think porn.

mickey
07-25-2010, 09:17 AM
Hi doug maverick,

Seriously, if you have ever checked out some of those Taoist books that discuss union and alchemy between men and women, the terms tiger and dragon are used to describe respectively, female and male genitalia. Now, if the movie was titled Crouching Dragon Hidden Tiger, I would have immediately thought it to be a fighting movie; in fact, this was how I was referring to the movie until enough people corrected me. I am not the only person who thought CTHD was an adult themed film from the title. Even people who are Chinese thought the title was about something adult based.

One more thing. when I use the term "adult themed", I am not referring to porn. There is absolutely nothing dirty about alchemical union. There is an abundance of love and surrender that allows for transformation and healing.

mickey

doug maverick
07-25-2010, 09:31 AM
ok now ask yourself how many of the general public would know that? not even chinese martial artist. asian or otherwise would know that unless they studied taoist sex practices or whatever the hell...lol

mickey
07-25-2010, 10:02 AM
Well,

I was speaking for myself. And besides the few that I met in the past, there has to be others. When I realized that this was a fighting movie, I thought the title to be very offensive. Imagine a poster for a fantastic fighting movie that only shows a single hand in the flip position.

mickey

SPJ
07-25-2010, 04:25 PM
there was an adult story or romance in the movie

it is between a princess or ge ge and the horse thief, a gang of robbers on the horse.

--

among the weapons, I like sword fight the best

--

light skill or running on the wall and roof top, sort of exeggeration

also running or flying among bamboo trees, way out of the world or gravity defying

--

a good weapon in a good head

she torn down the restaurants and defeated everyone with a single sword

---

legend said if you have a wish and jump into clouds from a cliff, your wish will come true

--

it is a good movie with all the wu xia fanfare or galore

must see

if you are a wu xia novel fan like moi.

:cool:

SPJ
07-25-2010, 04:27 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1I4Moi3-g14

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHdbfwG8vBM&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQw5s2oiqk0&feature=related

I did not buy the dvd.

I had a free copy of dvd sent to me from Taiwan. a christmas gift.

:)

GeneChing
08-09-2010, 02:15 PM
See our CTHD BRD winners (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1031154) thread.

That was a very popular online prize - it had one of the highest entry counts so far.

ngokfei
11-06-2010, 04:18 PM
was always intereste3d in the complete novel series.

http://www.monkeypeaches.com/CTHD-F-Novel.html

GeneChing
08-26-2013, 03:34 PM
...I must now add this thread: Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon sequel (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65170)

GeneChing
04-29-2014, 08:47 AM
As if Kryptodrakon isn't a cool enough name already...

Ancient Flying Reptile Named After Kung Fu Film 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon' (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ancient-flying-reptile-named-kung-698865)
1:25 AM PDT 4/25/2014 by Patrick Brzeski

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/news_landscape/2014/04/crouching-tiger-hidden-dragon-wo-hu-cang-long-2000-fight-sequence-movie-still.png
"Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon"
Fossilized remains of the kryptodrakon progenitor ("hidden dragon"), which evolved into the largest flying creatures ever to inhabit earth, were discovered in northwest China, where Ang Lee's Oscar-winning film was shot.

It appears some paleo-herpetologists -- i.e., zoologists specializing in ancient reptiles -- are also avid kung fu fans.
Upon discovering fossilized remains of a new species of pterodactyloid -- a class of ancient reptile that evolved into the largest flying creatures ever to inhabit earth -- a group of U.S. and Chinese scientists named the animal "kryptodrakon progenitor," a tribute to Ang Lee's Oscar-winning martial arts epic Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon ("krypto" = hidden; "drakon" = dragon, or serpent; and progenitor refers to the creature's status as the earliest of the pterodactyloids, a type of pterosaur). Pterosaurs went on to become the dominant winged animals of the prehistoric world.
The fossils were found in a "dinosaur death pit" in a northwestern region of China where parts of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon were filmed in 1999-2000.
Writing in the scientific journal Current Biology, the team of scientists, led by Brian Andres, a paleontologist at University of South Florida, describe how the new discovery proves that pterodactyloids existed at least five million years earlier than previously believed, or about 163 million years ago. For complex taxonomical reasons, the scientists say the kryptodrakon was a reptile, not a dinosaur.
The Crouching Tiger franchise will also soon find itself jumping back in time, when the upcoming Weinstein Company-produced prequel, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon II: The Green Destiny, goes into production in New Zealand later this year, starring Donnie Yen and Michelle Yeoh.

GeneChing
04-22-2015, 09:01 AM
On Saturday April 25th, San Francisco Symphony is performing a very special concert. Read Tan Dun’s Martial Trilogy (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/article.php?article=1218) by Gene Ching

GeneChing
07-02-2019, 01:17 PM
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon / Lou Reed Tai Chi Day (https://www.bricartsmedia.org/events-performances/bric-celebrate-brooklyn-festival/crouching-tiger-hidden-dragon-lou-reed-tai-chi)
Ang Lee’s 2000 martial arts extravaganza will grace our Bandshell screen. Prior to the film, come to enjoy activities as part of the first annual Lou Reed Tai Chi Day.

SAT, AUG 3, 2019
6:00PM Gates / 7:00PM Show

COST: FREE
9th Street & Prospect Park West
Brooklyn, NY 11215
United States

https://www.bricartsmedia.org/sites/default/files/styles/carousel/public/event/Crouching-Tiger-for-WEB.jpg?itok=t5yZE7zB&timestamp=1556222639https://www.bricartsmedia.org/sites/default/files/styles/carousel/public/event/Crouching-Tiger-for-WEB3.jpg?itok=80hyO-ru&timestamp=1556222669https://www.bricartsmedia.org/sites/default/files/styles/carousel/public/event/Crouching-Tiger-for-WEB2.jpg?itok=i5ht5tQN&timestamp=1556222653

The plot of CROUCHING TIGER, HIDDEN DRAGON, Ang Lee’s 2000 martial arts extravaganza set in in 18th century Qing Dynasty China, swirls around the theft of a mythical blade called Green Destiny. The theft sets in motion several events, which sweep up the sword’s owner, Wudang master Li Mu Bai (Chow Yun-fat), along with Yu Shu Lien (Michelle Yeoh), another Wudang master and the woman he loves but can never have; the preternaturally talented Wudang neophyte Jen Yu (Zhang Ziyi); and the murderous and treacherous Jade Fox (Cheng Pei-pei). The film is among the most visually exhilarating adventure-dramas ever made. It won over 40 awards, and was nominated for ten Academy Awards, including Best Picture, winning for Best Foreign Language Film (Taiwan), Best Art Direction, Best Original Score (by Tan Dun) and Best Cinematography.

Before the film, as part of the first annual LOU REED TAI CHI DAY, his teacher Master Ren Guang Yi and Tai Chi practitioners will demonstrate Chen style forms accompanied by Lou Reed DRONES, an immersive sonic work featuring Reed's guitar feedback and special guests Laurie Anderson, John Zorn, Sarth Calhoun, Stewart Hurwood, and others.

Additionally, there will be a demo of Chen and other Tai Chi styles earlier in the day at the Brooklyn Public Library at Grand Army Plaza, including an introductory event at 8AM and Tai Chi instruction outdoors on the Library Plaza from 9-11AM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xPC1lEJ6Mg

Venue Seating

All Seats In - Click here (https://www.bricartsmedia.org/seat-set-ups-bandshell) to see the various seat set-ups at the Bandshell.
Lawn open for blankets/lawn chairs
Information for the Friends of the BRIC Celebrate Brooklyn! Festival

Friends Member Seating: Front seats open to Seat-Pass and Tent-Pass members
Friends Tent: Open to Tent-Pass members
Sponsor Tent: Open to Tent-Pass members
Venue Information:
The BRIC Celebrate Brooklyn! Festival is one of New York City's longest running, free, outdoor performing arts festivals and is held every summer at the Prospect Park Bandshell. View seating arrangements here (https://www.bricartsmedia.org/seat-set-ups-bandshell).

All Performances Rain or Shine. In the event of dangerous weather we will be communicating updates on our website, Facebook, and Twitter.

Doors open one hour prior to performance unless otherwise noted.

THREADS
Lou Reed Tai Chi Day (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?71371-Lou-Reed-Tai-Chi-Day)
Lou Reed Ren Guang Yi Sep/Oct 007 (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?47378-Lou-Reed-Ren-Guang-Yi-Sep-Oct-007)
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?5071-Crouching-Tiger-Hidden-Dragon)

GeneChing
02-18-2020, 03:54 PM
Box Office: 'Parasite' Heads for Huge $50M-Plus in U.S. After Historic Oscar Win (https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-parasite-heads-huge-50m-us-oscar-win-1279671)
5:00 AM PST 2/18/2020 by Pamela McClintock

Globally, the South Korean film celebrated its best picture victory by crossing the $200 million mark.

Bong Joon Ho's Parasite continued to make headlines following its historic Oscar best picture victory.

Over the long Presidents Day holiday, the South Korean dark comedy-thriller made its biggest push yet in the U.S., expanding from 1,060 locations to 2,001. The move paid off as Parasite raced up the chart to No. 7 with $6.8 million — the film's top weekend gross to date (indie distributor Neon first opened the film in select art house cinemas in early October).

Globally, Parasite celebrated its Academy Award victory by zooming past the $200 million mark for CJ Entertainment despite the fact that it opened in many key markets — including South Korea — months ago. This past weekend, it earned another $12.8 million for a foreign tally, through Sunday, of $161.1 million.

Its worldwide gross of $205 million includes $44.49 million in ticket sales in the U.S., where it now ranks No. 4 on the list of the top-grossing foreign-language films of all time after passing up Instructions Not Included ($44.47 million), not adjusted for inflation.

Box office analysts put Parasite's final U.S. gross at $50 million or more, the top showing for a non-English-language film since Zhang Yimou's Hero 18 years ago. Overall, Hero ($53.7 million) ranks No. 3 behind Roberto Benigni's 1997 hit Life Is Beautiful ($57.6 million) and Ang Lee's Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon from 2002 ($128.1 million).

Some think Parasite could even approach $60 million.

"It has become a must-see movie in a theater even though it is available on home video," notes Comscore's Paul Dergarabedian. "The only two movies people were talking about over Presidents Day were Sonic the Hedgehog and Parasite."

Parasite is the first non-English-language film to ever win the Academy Award for best picture. It also won for best director, best original screenplay and best international picture. Also among the film's glittering array of awards is the Cannes Film Festival's Palme d'Or.

The pic's post-Oscar boost will be among the best in modern times, according to Comscore. A U.S. gross of $50 million would put the bump at 29 percent, on par with Slumdog Millionaire, which won the top Oscar prize in 2008. The only best-picture winner since 1998 to see a greater percentage gain was Million Dollar Baby 15 years ago (34 percent).

Parasite is the widest non-English language release in the U.S. since 2004's Kung Fu Hustle, which played in 2,503 theaters.

In yet another milestone, Parasite passed 2017's I, Tonya ($30 million) to become the top-grossing release in the three-year history of Neon, run by Tom Quinn, not adjusted for inflation.

PAMELA MCCLINTOCK
THRnews@thr.com
PamelaDayM

THREADS
Parasite (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?71321-Parasite)
Hero (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?31961-Hero)
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?5071-Crouching-Tiger-Hidden-Dragon)
The Academy Awards (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?20798-The-Academy-Awards)

GeneChing
09-29-2022, 09:56 AM
Backpacking Kung Fu. READ Rivers & Lakes: The True Meaning of Jianghu (https://www.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/article.php?article=1655) by Gene Ching

http://www.kungfumagazine.com//admin/site_images/KungfuMagazine/images/ezine/9097_Ezine-Jianghu_Lead.jpg

GeneChing
01-09-2023, 02:53 PM
Sony Pictures Classics (https://twitter.com/sonyclassics/status/1611044989143744538)
@sonyclassics

A cinematic masterpiece that stands the test of time!

After more than twenty years, Ang Lee’s CROUCHING TIGER, HIDDEN DRAGON returns to the big screen. See it In theaters everywhere February 17. Kinda tempting...