View Full Version : Leung Ting

sanjuro_ronin
04-17-2008, 07:23 AM
A couple of clips of Leung Ting, older and newer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVVDZvVszp0&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1haruWhQfA&feature=related

SAAMAG
04-17-2008, 09:19 AM
Looks to be a rough and tumble guy back in the day. I hear that he, in addition to people like Bruce Lee, Hawkins Cheung, and Wong Shun Leung did a lot to promote wing chun in challenge matches.

I have to admit, he looked pretty tough before he got all power starved and concerned only with titles. I think people forget how "rough" wing chun can be.

Just wish...again, that we'd see one of these fighting masters of today go up against someone that wasn't lesser skilled...like one of their students that was complying with them. They won't though, because there's too much to lose in the event that the master was beaten.

zuti car
04-17-2008, 09:38 AM
Leung Ting was never involved in challenge matches. But he was the first who introdusted Europe with Wing Chun and Chinese artial arts in general . He started to promte his art around 1978. Almost all istructors who teaching today , was traind Ting s style in some period . All other branches started to teach wing chun several years later .

sanjuro_ronin
04-17-2008, 09:42 AM
Looks to be a rough and tumble guy back in the day. I hear that he, in addition to people like Bruce Lee, Hawkins Cheung, and Wong Shun Leung did a lot to promote wing chun in challenge matches.

I have to admit, he looked pretty tough before he got all power starved and concerned only with titles. I think people forget how "rough" wing chun can be.

Just wish...again, that we'd see one of these fighting masters of today go up against someone that wasn't lesser skilled...like one of their students that was complying with them. They won't though, because there's too much to lose in the event that the master was beaten.

I have always liked WT "rough n tumble" look, for that very reason.
Two of the best fighters I know, they do WT, are from Ting's WT.
Agreed on how nice it would be to see ANY "master" going up against a skilled fighter outside their system.

Sihing73
04-17-2008, 09:47 AM
Leung Ting was never involved in challenge matches. But he was the first who introdusted Europe with Wing Chun and Chinese artial arts in general . He started to promte his art around 1978. Almost all istructors who teaching today , was traind Ting s style in some period . All other branches started to teach wing chun several years later .

Hello,

Leung Ting WAS involved in "Challenge Matches". When he toured Europe with Allan Fong they took on many challengers to prove the arts effectiveness. Although, to be fair, it was Allan who did most of the fighting. Also Leung Ting was one of the first to promote open demos and matches in Hong Kong and has organized several events around the globe featuring Wint Tsun matches.

Also to be fair, there are plenty of others who have done the same so this is not something unique to WT or to Leung Ting. I just wanted to clarify that Leung Ting did indeed answer challenges in the early years of promoting and spreading his art, again though mostly through his higher level students.

zuti car
04-17-2008, 10:33 AM
Maybe Ting did have "Challenge Matches' , i can not be shure what he was doing in Hong Kong and other palces , i am familiar with his work in Europe . Some of my friends are involved in WT since the beginig , and i know a lot of things about Ting ,i also trained WT for 3 yeras .

sanjuro_ronin
04-17-2008, 10:47 AM
The only issues I have with Ting's WT is the whole "level" thing, I know why he did it, just doesn't seem that necessary.
Saw him in action in Spain in the 80's when I was a kid, made me wanna take up WT.
:D

Sihing73
04-17-2008, 11:10 AM
Maybe Ting did have "Challenge Matches' , i can not be shure what he was doing in Hong Kong and other palces , i am familiar with his work in Europe . Some of my friends are involved in WT since the beginig , and i know a lot of things about Ting ,i also trained WT for 3 yeras .

Hello Zuti,

I am somewhat familiar with Leung Ting and WT as well ;). I trained in Germany and visited the "castle" several times. I also lived in Allans home for a while. When I received my Primary Level I had two Sifu listed, Keith Kernsprecht and Allan Fong. My statement in the prior post is based on my experience and conversations with not only Leung Ting but Keith and Allan as well. However, as several on this forum have noted, whether or not LT engaged in challenge matches or not really has no direct impact on our ability. It really does not matter, imho, how many "fights" ones Sifu has had if they are unable to impart their knowledge to others.

Sihing73
04-17-2008, 11:16 AM
The only issues I have with Ting's WT is the whole "level" thing, I know why he did it, just doesn't seem that necessary.
Saw him in action in Spain in the 80's when I was a kid, made me wanna take up WT.
:D

Hello,

While I can understand, I also must point out that from a marketting pov the whole idea of levels is almost necessary. In theory one could go to any school in the WT Organization and pick up training where one left off. While this did not always translate exactly, the various levels did provide a nice yardstick and help to insure one was training at approximately the same level, even in different schools\locations.

I also believe that the "Chi Sao Sections" were a stroke of genuis, imo. Each section trained one to deal with a specific type of energy and, imho, helped the student to learn the basics techniques and practie them safely. Of course, the goal was always to break away from the sections and be able to apply the principles learned in a free flowing adaptable manner.

I still have the training format for the first 12 student grades and I refer to it from time to time. At least it permits me to have a somewhat consistent and standardized approach to WT training.

sanjuro_ronin
04-17-2008, 11:19 AM
While I can understand, I also must point out that from a marketting pov the whole idea of levels is almost necessary. In theory one could go to any school in the WT Organization and pick up training where one left off. While this did not always translate exactly, the various levels did provide a nice yardstick and help to insure one was training at approximately the same level, even in different schools\locations.

Like I said, I know why he did it, its understandable.

I also believe that the "Chi Sao Sections" were a stroke of genuis, imo. Each section trained one to deal with a specific type of energy and, imho, helped the student to learn the basics techniques and practie them safely. Of course, the goal was always to break away from the sections and be able to apply the principles learned in a free flowing adaptable manner.

Agreed.

Phil Redmond
04-17-2008, 03:16 PM

There's one name you didn't mention but Jesse Glover does here:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=_e7MwXY5aIw

SAAMAG
04-17-2008, 10:20 PM
Oops...my apologies...and William Cheung!

sanjuro_ronin
04-18-2008, 04:41 AM
There's one name you didn't mention but Jesse Glover does here:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=_e7MwXY5aIw

Its a well known fact that, like Norris, Glover has a hidden fist in his beard.

Phil Redmond
04-18-2008, 07:28 AM
Oops...my apologies...and William Cheung!
It doesn't matter. I was just goofin' . . :D

Phil Redmond
04-18-2008, 07:34 AM
Its a well known fact that, like Norris, Glover has a hidden fist in his beard.
Some gave me some clips of an unbearded Glover. I'm still not sure if that's him since I've never seen him without a beard.