PDA

View Full Version : Tiger Claw Face Shields

GeneChing
04-17-2008, 10:16 AM
The New York Times just did a gear test on Face Shields. Guess who won?
NYT Gear Test, Face Shields (http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2008/04/16/style/20080417physical_index.html)

Tiger Claw Clear Face Shield (http://www.martialartsmart.net/10-360.html)

xcakid
04-17-2008, 11:22 AM
Face shields!!! We don neeeed no steeeenking face shield. I am el guapo!!! :D

Seriously though. When I started training back in the 80's, we sparred with just gloves on. If you had a cup that was a bonus. Not even mentioning the beating my hands took in my stint learning Arnis. Further wussification of America. :mad: Freaking suck it up its a contact sport.

Oh good show on the product test though Gene. :) But I'll never one. Will recommend it though.

sanjuro_ronin
04-17-2008, 11:26 AM
Face shields!!! We don neeeed no steeeenking face shield. I am el guapo!!! :D

Seriously though. When I started training back in the 80's, we sparred with just gloves on. If you had a cup that was a bonus. Not even mentioning the beating my hands took in my stint learning Arnis. Further wussification of America. :mad: Freaking suck it up its a contact sport.

Oh good show on the product test though Gene. :) But I'll never one. Will recommend it though.

Here here !!
Your face was protected cause YOU PROTECTED YOUR FACE !!
:D

David Jamieson
04-17-2008, 12:40 PM
I prefer a chin and cheek myself...and even that i find a little restrictive, but its good when your getting tired and you are taking more than you are destroying. lol

the foam helmets kind of defeat the purpose of having a hard plastic shield on there though don't they? Do these have rigid structure that won't collapse in on you when someone drive a hard cross into your schnoz?

SteveLau
04-24-2008, 12:43 AM
I bought a full protection head guard last year. For the time being, a foam helmet with a face shield like the ones referred by GeneChing are the best type.

The following link shows the head guard that I bought:

http://www.pad-up.com/p/16969/dyna-head-guard.html

Regards,

KC
Hong Kong

bodhitree
04-24-2008, 04:16 AM
congrats Gene and crew!

xcakid
04-24-2008, 06:21 AM
Hey, I told a couple of the moms at my school about this, and 2 of them ordered some.

I told the kids to come in and wear it. Then I will test it out by kicking them in the head. Their 12, so it should be all good. :D I'll let ya know how the schools liability waiver holds up in court.

MasterKiller
04-24-2008, 06:28 AM
At least this one doesn't have the MAM disclaimer:

Not recommended for contact sparring
http://www.martialartsmart.net/104com.html

SteveLau
04-25-2008, 02:17 AM
The reason that I said the head guard type posted by GeneChing is the best because it provides adequate protection while provide very good range of visibility. Such head guard is a good friend of any student who trains full contact sparring or tournament.

Regards,

KC
Hong Kong

Oso
04-25-2008, 04:40 AM
i'll have to order one of TC's. I have several others for youth students to wear but not one that has the full on clear front. I've also had students who had 'professional' jobs and couldn't go to work with a busted lip or black eye. I've now got a couple who are getting married in a couple of weeks who haven't been wearing the face shields but are now until after the wedding.

i hear you guys about 'old school' but there are more lawyers needing to feed their kids every year. We should have a mandated number of lawyers per capita...something like 1/1,000,000 maybe...and an open season once a year...they could get a 3 day head start

xcakid
04-25-2008, 06:07 AM
I've also had students who had 'professional' jobs and couldn't go to work with a busted lip or black eye.

Here's a funny story. I work as a financial analyst for a very small asset management firm. I was doing some grappling the night before a client meeting and got my face mushed on the canvas. So I had this awesome rug burn like thing on my forehead. The next day, I had no choice but to sit in on the client meeting. So I put on this big honking bandaid over the injury. First thing the client says, "WTF happened to your head" To which I answered, without missing a beat, "The previous client meeting got kinda rough." Laughs all around. I explained what really happened and it set a very relaxed tone to the meeting afterwards. We ended up getting the account.

When I competed in SanShou/Sanda back in the day(early 90's). I sucked at it. So everytime after a tournament, I would have a very noticeable mark of some kind on face. My position then did not have very much client contact, but it was a very professional office, shirt and tie, for a capital markets group of a commercial bank in CA. After the first few times, no one ever paid attention. Everyone just kinda knew that I had a hobby that caused me to get my butt kicked from time to time.

So its not all that bad. :D Just gotta know how to deflect the issue.

You're right about the lawyers though. :mad:

Oso
04-25-2008, 07:32 AM
it's different for a guy I think. the main one was a female student who was a professionial non-profit fundraiser.

xcakid
04-25-2008, 07:36 AM
it's different for a guy I think. the main one was a female student who was a professionial non-profit fundraiser.

Yeah, you gotta point there. :o

GeneChing
04-25-2008, 09:16 AM
I, for one, miss the days when we used to spar with our hands wrapped in rough hemp cord and dipped in glass shards. You don't see that in the cage now. Further wussification of America. :p

I think face shield are being required at some TKD events, although I'm not sure how widespread that is. Keep in mind that TKD now has electronic scoring vests, akin to fencing. I'm just pleased that #1. Face shields are significant enough to warrant the attention of the New York Times - it's a sure sign of MA growth in America and #2. Tiger Claw kicked ass. :cool:

bodhitree
04-25-2008, 09:27 AM
#2. Tiger Claw kicked ass. :cool:

You got that wrong buddy, Gene Ching kicks ass, tiger claw just happens to work for him!

xcakid
04-25-2008, 09:57 AM
I, for one, miss the days when we used to spar with our hands wrapped in rough hemp cord and dipped in glass shards. You don't see that in the cage now. Further wussification of America. :p

Dang!! you MUST BE OLD school. :D

Mook Jong
04-25-2008, 10:29 AM
At least this one doesn't have the MAM disclaimer:

http://www.martialartsmart.net/104com.html

....how the **** do you get off calling it the SPARmaster, when it's not for contact sparring?!?!?

Lucas
04-25-2008, 10:38 AM
I like to wear them when I do forms and conditioning, but once the contact sparring starts up, I take it off.

Dont want to use the gear improperly... :p

Really though, that confused me too

GeneChing
04-25-2008, 10:42 AM
...and it's come up before here. Don't ask me why. You know, lawyers and insurance :rolleyes: We had the same problem with the hemp ropes and glass shards. Some wuss got hurt and sued. Said glass shards were dangerous. Can you imagine? :(

Lucas
04-25-2008, 10:47 AM
...and it's come up before here. Don't ask me why. You know, lawyers and insurance :rolleyes: We had the same problem with the hemp ropes and glass shards. Some wuss got hurt and sued. Said glass shards were dangerous. Can you imagine? :(

hemp ropes? Some guys get high off of rope burns or something?

Oso
04-25-2008, 02:48 PM
don't pick on MAM, I think Century's stuff says the same thing.

golden arhat
04-25-2008, 03:57 PM
only sh!t i need is a cup and a gumshield.

face protecter :rolleyes: oh no i may be hit in the face ahhhhhhhh !!

Yum Cha
04-26-2008, 11:55 PM

Gene, a word of advice...just stick to the death matches. Dead men don't file torts.