PDA

View Full Version : Traditional Tanglangquan Structure from Great Meihua Line Perspective

mantis108
04-17-2008, 12:13 PM
First off, those who know me know that I am outspoken about the difference between Kung Fu and Wushu. Furthermore, I oppose the fallacy of modern Wushu Tanglang especially when those exponents try to convince the world that they have the goods just as the traditional Tanglang practitioners have. So I would like to outline the structure of Tanglangquan from the Greater Meihua Line perspective and to discern the difference. This structure is distinct and specific to Tanglangquan art and it is in no way shared by the Wushu sport factory mills.

Tanglangquan (Praying Mantis Pugilism)

I.

Tanglang Zhi Ti (Profile of Praying Mantis)
Tanglang Zhi Yong (Functions of Praying Mantis)
Tanglang Gang Ling (Concise of Praying Mantis)
Shi Er Zi Jue (12 Keywords)

I. a

Shou Fa Zhong Lun (Summary of Hand Method)
Duan Da Jin Yao (Short Strike Essentials)
Shou Fa Wu Lou (5 Leaks)
Shuang Dan Gou Shi Liu Zhe (16 Moves of Single and Double Hooks)
Ba Gang Fa (8 Rigidities)
Shi Er Rou Fa (12 Fluidities)
Fen Shen Shi Er Pan Zhou (12 Elbows)
Quan Zhong Ba Buan Zhou (8 Shorts)
Tanglang Shi San Men Jiao (13 Kicking techniques)

I. b

Tanglang Zhi Da Shi San Men (13 avenues of mantis strikes)
Xian Xing Shou Bian Hua Shi Ba Zhe (18 applications of Proactive Hands)
Bu Zhao Bu Jia Shi Er Lu Po Fa (12 ways of non blocking counters)
Ba Da (8 strikes)
Ba Bu Da (8 Forbidden Strikes)

II.

Tanglang Zhi Gong (Praying Mantis special training)

II. a

Shi Ba Luohan Qigong (18 Arhat Exercises)
San Hui Jiu Zhuan Huan Yang Fa (3 Returns 9 Rotations Rendering Yang method)

* This Chart is based on Shifu Li Deng Wu's teaching originally from Shandong and then Taiwan. His student Shifu Yang Fengshi from Taiwan edited this for the Mimen Lanjie book (p. 13)

The English translation is by me.

This structure while it is distinct and specific to Tanglangquan, there are elements that are universal to traditional Kung Fu. Also there is a spiritual aspect involved that is unique to Kung Fu. Modern Wushu is devoid of that particular aspect; therefore, it is severed from the root of Chinese culture, which is where the intricacy and value of the training comes in. At best Modern Wushu is a sport no more no less.

Now I think this is clear enough that Wushu imitation of Tanglangquan hardly has an of these areas of training. What they do is to use Wushu basic training (ie warm up with stretching and kicking) then go into the competition Tanglang Taolu routine, which by the way is only to mimic the movements not to exercise the true intent of Tanglangquan. I believe Shifu Brendan Tunks has already outlined other details so I am not going to babbling on.

In Kung Fu being a good fighter is important, but being a better person is even more important. Don't let a dishonest venture turns you into a charlatan.

Mantis108

Three Harmonies
04-17-2008, 12:50 PM
Great post Robert!
Care to expand on the 5 Leaks more?
Thanks
Jake :cool:

mantis108
04-17-2008, 02:42 PM
Hi Jake,

Thanks, glad you enjoy the post.

Regarding the 5 Leaks:

Ti Lou (raising leak)
Shun Lou (following leak)
Gun Lou (rolling leak)
Di Lou (bottom leak)
Shan Lou (dodging leak - as a counter)

I believe some of these were demonstrated by your teacher Hu Qilin during the Mantis Quarterly gathering a few years ago as well. I saw them in the DVD about the gathering.

Warm regards

Robert

Three Harmonies
04-17-2008, 03:06 PM
Yeah, he is always just calling it Luo "Leaking." I am trying to tie in definitions to applications. Or vice versa;) I was not sure if it was in particular to certain techniques (keywords) as you stated, or if it was in reference to the various "gate" theories people have.
Thanks
Jake

Three Harmonies
04-17-2008, 03:08 PM
Would love to hear your take on the following as well:
Tanglang Zhi Da Shi San Men (13 avenues of mantis strikes)
Xian Xing Shou Bian Hua Shi Ba Zhe (18 applications of Proactive Hands)
Bu Zhao Bu Jia Shi Er Lu Po Fa (12 ways of non blocking counters)

Thanks
Jake :D

mantis108
04-17-2008, 04:11 PM
Yeah, he is always just calling it Luo "Leaking." I am trying to tie in definitions to applications. Or vice versa;) I was not sure if it was in particular to certain techniques (keywords) as you stated, or if it was in reference to the various "gate" theories people have.
Thanks
Jake

The 5 leaks are, as a whole, extension of the fundamental drill, Pi Zha Wu Shou, which is similar to the one in the HK Seven Stars line that is called Jim Nim (Zhan Nian in Mandarin). Now of course different line would have different focus in training the drill. So it would be up to the style to incorporate different techniques and applications. For example, in CCK TCPM, we could practice our 64 Sau Fa (Shou Fa) or any moves from the forms for that matter with this drill as well as making use of the 5 leaks. This adds another layer to applications.

As for the other stuff,

Tanglang Zhi Da Shi San Men (13 avenues of mantis strikes) - These are prototypical 12 keywords of the Meihua line IMHO.

Xian Xing Shou Bian Hua Shi Ba Zhe (18 applications of Proactive Hands) - These are mainly from the first section of Zhai Yao. As mantis excels in counters, these hands cater to taking the initiative and serves as making the first strike bring your game to your opponent.

Bu Zhao Bu Jia Shi Er Lu Po Fa (12 ways of non blocking counters) - these are ways to deal with a surprise attack and you have no time to put up a guard. But these can be used also in conjunction with superior body methods. In that case, it's an advanced method.

Hope this helps. :)

Warm regards

Robert

Qixing Tanglang
04-19-2008, 02:35 AM
The theoretical layout is one way to separate traditional versus modern.

But for me the most obvious is in the physical training. Just watch a class or two and differences between traditional and modern are obvious like day and night.

Sometimes it is just too hard to put it into descriptive written words.

Cheers,
Nate

TaichiMantis
04-22-2008, 01:01 PM
I realize you most of you don't know our version of bung bo. However, you could study these two videos (1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkjpiDl6O4Y),2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ney82TSNkD0)) and then read how my kung fu uncle breaks down the form. In the first article (http://i-chuan.net/pages/Choy6.html), Sifu Choy breaks it down according to the 12 principles. In the second (http://i-chuan.net/pages/Choy7.html)he identifies the various mantis fists, palms, hooks, and leg strikes used. He also points out "rules of chuan" and methods that are used in the form.

Bung bo is definitely my favorite form. I would love to train this form and its applications with him in person some day...ah well.:o