PDA

View Full Version : Check it out MT guys doing WC!

SAAMAG
04-17-2008, 02:40 PM
http://www.muaythai.com/images/maemai/PaksaWaegRang.jpg

I'm guessing there's no way to actually put the pic up in this forum...but there's the link.

It's actually a real MT move, just happens to retain the same ideas as the WC simultaneous attack and defense, and oddly enough sort of looks like a tan da.

Phil Redmond
04-17-2008, 03:10 PM
Here ya go.

chusauli
04-17-2008, 04:10 PM
Many systems have that move!

Anyone catch Spider Silva last night demolish Rich Franklin on Spike TV? That was WCK!

Phil Redmond
04-17-2008, 04:50 PM
Who won the fight??

zuti car
04-18-2008, 01:27 AM
In Leung Tings book "Roots of Wing Chun" can be found a interesting theory about origin of Wing Chun . Ting claim that Wing Chun actually become from Thailand . This may be corect , i have conformation from other , independent source .

sanjuro_ronin
04-18-2008, 04:39 AM
http://www.muaythai.com/images/maemai/PaksaWaegRang.jpg

I'm guessing there's no way to actually put the pic up in this forum...but there's the link.

It's actually a real MT move, just happens to retain the same ideas as the WC simultaneous attack and defense, and oddly enough sort of looks like a tan da.

Actually its a Muay Boran move :D

Mr Punch
04-18-2008, 07:40 AM
In Leung Tings book "Roots of Wing Chun" can be found a interesting theory about origin of Wing Chun . Ting claim that Wing Chun actually become from Thailand . This may be corect , i have conformation from other , independent source .It's bullsh!t.

SAAMAG
04-18-2008, 10:15 AM
Actually its a Muay Boran move :D

Good catch! Not technically modern muay thai. Though my MT coach did show this to me years ago and I mentioned its similarity to wing chun/JKD...

Just got reminded of it when I was looking through MT.com.

HardWork8
04-18-2008, 07:20 PM
In Leung Tings book "Roots of Wing Chun" can be found a interesting theory about origin of Wing Chun . Ting claim that Wing Chun actually become from Thailand . This may be corect , i have conformation from other , independent source .

I found this link, but I don't know wether to make heads or tales of it. Nevertheless, it is an interesting read.:)

www.crane.50megs.com//index6u.htm

SAAMAG
04-18-2008, 10:54 PM
Yes, interesting to say the least. I like how he tries to say definitively that the style can be exactly 2 MT fighters, as if there's any validity to that.

I took a read of some of the other text he has on the site, his choice of words indicates that he's an antagonist, who likes to get a rise out of people; though his information in general seems to be mostly factual.

Funny thing, I was reading about Sanda on his website, and he get's all high and mighty about how Americans are continually humiliated against the Chinese San da fighters...saying that for such a young sport (being started in 1997) that it's humiliating to the Americans that the chinese san da guys are so much better. Then he talks about how San Da guys probably couldn't beat a Thai fighter.

Ironically, any style of chinese gung fu or any martial art for that matter can be used in San Da. San Da is not a style of martial arts to me, but rather gung fu in a "free fighting" and full contact atmosphere. Punches, kicks, leg catch & sweeps, and throws. There's no "style" persay as in a fundamental doctrine, but moreso rules of the game. A Muay Thai fighter could easily be a San Da fighter by learning throws, and a San Da fighter could easily transpose their skills to a Muay thai ring with a few tweaks (elbows and knees) as well. Hell a wing chun guy could easily do San Da with some minor tweaks and learning some throws as well. I trained for San Da while in the military, with my gung fu AND muay thai background it was simply using what I already knew, with some tweaks. I loooove being able to throw someone around. There's always a sense of satisfaction when that happens that punching and kicking just doesn't give. Anyway....

This is a website that proliferates the incorrect absolute of styles vs. styles; and although there are some systems that are fundamentally better suited for fighting -- the general ideal should be individuals vs individuals.

HardWork8
04-19-2008, 07:03 AM
Yes, interesting to say the least. I like how he tries to say definitively that the style can beat exactly 2 MT fighters, as if there's any validity to that.

If ever anyone validates this (EITHER WAY), then it will be someone who has studied Wing Chun for decades and very deeply at that.

I took a read of some of the other text he has on the site, his choice of words indicates that he's an antagonist, who likes to get a rise out of people;

You mean that he tries to get people to THINK?

though his information in general seems to be mostly factual.

Agreed. It seems to be.

Funny thing, I was reading about Sanda on his website, and he get's all high and mighty about how Americans are continually humiliated against the Chinese San da fighters...saying that for such a young sport (being started in 1997) that it's humiliating to the Americans that the chinese san da guys are so much better.

Rather in the same way as some Crosstrainers and MMA-ists refer to "kung fu" being defeated in UFCs, perhaps? Kinda "high and mighty", wouldn't you say?

Then he talks about how San Da guys probably couldn't beat a Thai fighter.

And then in other articles he goes on to talk about exactly how Sanda Fighters have beat the Thais.

Funny guy, that man.

Ironically, any style of chinese gung fu or any martial art for that matter can be used in San Da. San Da is not a style of martial arts to me, but rather gung fu in a "free fighting" and full contact atmosphere.

A more correct description would be, "gung fu in a SPORT free fighting and full contact atmosphere".

Punches, kicks, leg catch & sweeps, and throws. There's no "style" persay as in a fundamental doctrine, but moreso rules of the game.

Agreed. However, your core fighting style can be reflected on how you fight in Sanda. When I saw the Sanda fighters beat the Kyokushinkai guys for example, I noticed that they were more "relaxed" and "flowing" than the karate exponents.

It seems that other and more subtle principles and methodologies are involved in Sanda fighting.

I loooove being able to throw someone around. There's always a sense of satisfaction when that happens that punching and kicking just doesn't give.

You keep talking like that and I am going to be too scared to ever visit Texas.:D

This is a website that proliferates the incorrect absolute of styles vs. styles; and although there are some systems that are fundamentally better suited for fighting -- the general ideal should be individuals vs individuals.

Before you jump to any conclusions, I will say that I don't personally agree with some of his assumptions either, however I would recommend that you looker "deeper" into that web site, because if you do, then you will see that the gentleman in question is quite "modern" in his approach to kung fu training:).

SAAMAG
04-19-2008, 08:26 AM
If ever anyone validates this (EITHER WAY), then it will be someone who has studied Wing Chun for decades and very deeply at that.
It won't be validated at this point because there is no such way to do so. It's all just theory...even Dr. LT's information is mostly filling in what he doesn't know with theories.

You mean that he tries to get people to THINK?

Not quite...he antagonizes people who are on the "losing" side of his ideas.

Agreed. It seems to be.

I say that only based on things like the years something started, or the origin of San Shou, etc. Not any far fetched ideas this "author" has. The validity of information lies in the credibility of the source...so far...well...

Rather in the same way as some Crosstrainers and MMA-ists refer to "kung fu" being defeated in UFCs, perhaps? Kinda "high and mighty", wouldn't you say?

Nope...that's been documented as fact. Show me a gung fu guy that's won. Cung Le doesn't count since he's a "crosstrainer" as you put it.

And then in other articles he goes on to talk about exactly how Sanda Fighters have beat the Thais.

Funny guy, that man.

He's confused and contradictory. He's basically writing his own opinions on things...which is nothing more in value that what you're writing on here. Just like a-holes, everyone's got an opinion.

A more correct description would be, "gung fu in a SPORT free fighting and full contact atmosphere".
Actually, a more correct description would be gung fu in a functional and successful full contact atmosphere.

BTW...why do you feel that you always have to dissect and debate people's posts? We don't want to turn every thread on here into a HW8 vs all.

HardWork8
04-19-2008, 09:23 AM
It won't be validated at this point because there is no such way to do so. It's all just theory...even Dr. LT's information is mostly filling in what he doesn't know with theories.

I was not talking about Dr LT. I was talking about it hypothetically as it is a theory.

Not quite...he antagonizes people who are on the "losing" side of his ideas.

Then believe it or not he antagonizes kung fu people as well. Have a more careful look at the site.

Nope...that's been documented as fact.

So have the defeats of various MA's at the hands of the Chinese San-da fighters. For details see YouTube.

He's confused and contradictory

Probably more contradictory then confused.;)

He's basically writing his own opinions on things...which is nothing more in value that what you're writing on here.

By "you", you surely mean "we", don't you?

Just like a-holes, everyone's got an opinion.

Except that some people's opinions belong in their A-holes.;)

Actually, a more correct description would be gung fu in a functional and successful full contact atmosphere.

It is again more correct to add "SPORT" full contact atmosphere.

For me a none sport FULL CONTACT atmosphere is the street, when things are REALLY full contact, without rules, medics and referees.

I am making a logical distinction that I hope you appreciate.

BTW...why do you feel that you always have to dissect and debate people's posts?

Because, I am attempting to make relevant contributions on the points raised rather than make general remarks on my own assumptions of what you or anyone is saying.

This is unlike some other members who make abusive and untruthful remarks based on what they assume I am saying and ending up with their foot in their mouths when I ask them to justify their assumptions by proof.

We don't want to turn every thread on here into a HW8 vs all.

Then "we" must be more understanding of the traditional approach and pay attention when HW8 says that "if your approach works for you and you are happy then it is fine". Comments like that are meant to reduce or prevent unnecessary friction.:)

couch
04-19-2008, 09:35 AM
Do you practice WC?

If so, what is your lineage/experience?

Best,
Kenton

HardWork8
04-19-2008, 10:24 AM
Do you practice WC?

If so, what is your lineage/experience?

Best,
Kenton

I have practiced Siu Lam Wing Chun since 2001. I started my training while living in Rio de Janeiro, Brasil. I trained regularly under the private tuition of my sifu for 3 and a half years, before moving to london for a temporary period of time.

Not having found the same lineage of Wing Chun here in the UK, I opted to practice in another traditional school of kung fu, while at the same time practicing my Wing Chun on my own and with sifu, whenever I go to Brasil. This way I have managed to maintain my Wing Chun skills to the best of my ability.

This lineage of Wing Chun is a Mainland Chinese Lineage that comes down from Fung Siu Ching to Lo Gai Dong who in turn passed his knowledge to Liang Jie Zhou, who is the present grand master of our school lineage and is currently residing in China.

Regards,

HW8

unkokusai
04-19-2008, 04:29 PM
I started my training while living in Rio de Janeiro, Brasil. I trained regularly under the private tuition of my sifu for 3 and a half years, before moving to london for a temporary period of time.

So the answer is that you trained for 3.5 years. Got it.

HardWork8
04-19-2008, 05:21 PM
So the answer is that you trained for 3.5 years. Got it.

Here we go again, repetition time: 3.5 years in Rio with sifu, 3.5 years in London in other kung fu + Wing Chun training on my own.

Repeat that a few thousand times in your head. Get cjurakpt to read it for you as he is used to helping people like you.:D

unkokusai
04-19-2008, 05:27 PM
3.5 years in London in other kung fu

Oh, what was that 'other' kungfu?

HardWork8
04-19-2008, 05:48 PM
Oh, what was that 'other' kungfu?

That is for me to know.;)

unkokusai
04-19-2008, 06:09 PM
Ok then, you have a total of 3.5 years of WC and nothing else. Got it.

HardWork8
04-19-2008, 06:43 PM
Ok then, you have a total of 3.5 years of WC and nothing else.

It seems that you have a total IQ of 3.5 - 3.5=0

Got it.

The only thing that you've "got" is a problem with retardation, but hey I am here to help.:D