04-17-2008, 07:55 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5XKRCqGRTY

at the end he blasts him:)

sanjuro_ronin
04-18-2008, 04:52 AM
Slippery floor it seems.

MasterKiller
04-18-2008, 06:30 AM
Hey, props to that guy for actually using his stuff.

sanjuro_ronin
04-18-2008, 07:12 AM
Hey, props to that guy for actually using his stuff.

Big time, especially the swing arms and the "chi blast" at the end.:D

David Jamieson
04-18-2008, 07:23 AM
I love the form demo before the attack stuff. :)

and the slippy floor and cotton shoes are the bane of every kungfu man ever. Just ask Cheung and Emin. lol

diego
04-18-2008, 07:54 AM
I love the form demo before the attack stuff. :)

and the slippy floor and cotton shoes are the bane of every kungfu man ever. Just ask Cheung and Emin. lol

lmao at bane:cool:

SDJerry
04-21-2008, 12:54 PM
You can really see how devestating hung gar's short range techniques are. He did a great job of closing the distance and dominating.

David Jamieson
04-21-2008, 06:45 PM
well, he wasted a lot of energy too with the little forms in between.

he looked strong though overall.
the intensity was ok for sure. for a few seconds, they looked like they had some real tiger intention going there. no f-ing around.

SteveLau
04-23-2008, 08:32 PM
Yep, it was a good fight overall. There were good skills demonstrated, and I also appreciate the ethics and ettiquitte of the two fighters. The kung fu fighter was apparently the winner. However, I would like to see him kick more in the demo. He almost did not kick at all.

With regards to slippery floor, the fighters and the organizer should make sure the environment of the venue is up to par for the activity. I have seen fighter who checked out the ring condition just half an hour before the professional title fight began. It is a good practice to know the floor condition before one steps into it to fight.

Regards,

KC
Hong Kong

David Jamieson
04-24-2008, 04:01 AM
Well, the trouble with a lot of martial arts back then as now is that people are taught and learn to NOT hit each other.

pull your punches, control this, control that. They never get the feel of what it is to drive your punch forward into someone with real go through it power.

I think this is why mma shocked so many traditionalists at first with the seeming brutality of it. Hey, even I was down on it as brutal and barabaric and still am when it comes to not much training fighters.

sanjuro_ronin
04-24-2008, 05:02 AM
Hitting a moving target is hard, hitting one that is hitting you back is harder, hitting one that is hitting you back and moving differently than what you are used to is even harder.

Sparring is also subject to the law of specifcity.

nospam
04-24-2008, 05:05 AM
Yes - the no contact to the head kills me. Any tournament that does not allow head shots is a waste of time and effort.

The kung fu fellow was a junior/intermediate practitioner. Nevertheless, props for the effort to use what he knew and understood of his style at that time and at that stage of his training. At that stage and in a tournament setting..it should be about the use of your STYLE, not the WIN. And this is why..altho a little painful to watch..I give it a thumb's up!

Now..MMA brutal? Never forget..what we are learning to do is fight. Fighting is brutal. What SHOULD make kung fu practitioners unique is we fight using our given STYLE, and this should be applied to the most brutal extreme! When you fight, it should be to win. To win, you need to be brutal. To be brutal requires intent. Intent is a lost kung fu secret. That is why some non-martial art peeps are NATURALLY good fighters. They have intent and singlemindedness to end things quickly. Teach a natural fighter kung fu and they should become great fighters.

I agree, if you train to pull punches then you are engraining the wrong seeds. Practise allows for the pulling of technique, but there has to be distinction in application. This is when training properly is required. This is why my Fut Gar practises and trains differently. Peeps become lost or stuck at the attractions on the Way.

nospam
:cool:

sanjuro_ronin
04-24-2008, 05:07 AM
Yes - the no contact to the head kills me. Any tournament that does not allow head shots is a waste of time and effort.

Ahem...kyokushin, pankration, Sabaki, etc...