PDA

View Full Version : Sifu Hawkins Cheung

loquito
04-18-2008, 01:11 AM
Has anyone trained with Sifu Hawkins Cheung and have any observations or comments regarding his school or teaching style ?

Sihing73
04-18-2008, 05:04 PM
Hello,

Never met him, however I have heard very good things about him.

Sorry I could not provide more. But at least this will provide a <bump> :D

k gledhill
04-18-2008, 05:10 PM
I have, long time ago I went to assist my old sifu V Kan, giving a seminar at H Cheung L.A. school. He didntt really do anything but help the seminar, friendly guy. Complimented me on my use of bong -sao's at an after seminar meal. Got to touch hands with a few guys and talk. Met Robert Chu and did some chi-sao too all good fun.

Chuan fa
04-19-2008, 01:48 PM
The best thing to do is stop by his place to see him in person. You are in LA right? Just stop buy his school on Venice at 6:30PM Monday to see for yourself.

Ernie
04-19-2008, 04:14 PM
I have had the opportunity to train with him many times [ almost weekly ] over the last 10 years ,,as he would come by Gary's school every weekend and work out with us ,,,,, he is excellent at his wing chun and he is a pretty solid scraper as well I have sparred him bare knuckles and been surprised by the power a man of his age and small frame can generate ... he is very Tai chi influenced and free in the use of his body ...

I think last i heard he was retied from formal teaching and was dealing with an illness ... this might have changed as i have not seen him in almost a year

If he likes you ,, you can learn allot ,, if not well thats another subject LOL he can be very crafty with his skill ;)

Much of Gary's later curriculum is based on Hawkins influence as well as Robert Chus teaching so the information is being passed on and available if your willing to put in the work

Good Luck

chusauli
04-21-2008, 03:42 PM
Hawkins Cheung is one of the more low key practitioners who have come out of the Yip Man branch.

His skill is excellent, and his personal teachings to me have been a great inspiration. I am fortunate to have met him and studied with him. He was able to clarify the use of WCK in combat for me and was able to guide me away from many of the Yip Man politics, by his example of applications and being low key.

I always questioned him if the previous WCK I learned was correct or not - his answer?

"Can you do it?" :)

My two sayings, "Let application be your guide" and "Let function rule over form" were based upon my experience with Hawkins Cheung. His teachings allowed me to find my own WCK.

Nowadays, so many people argue about how high Tan Sao is, but if you put a person on the Jong or with a person attacking them, that determines the height of the Tan Sao.

Some branches talk about "Superior footwork", but Hawkins' answer to me was simple and direct: "If your house is on fire, do you really care about your footwork?" :)

My Sifu has been in semi-retirement for years and suffering from a mild ailment. He still occasionally teaches classes in West LA, when he is not travelling back and forth to Hong Kong.

sanjuro_ronin
04-22-2008, 04:09 AM
Hawkins Cheung is one of the more low key practitioners who have come out of the Yip Man branch.

His skill is excellent, and his personal teachings to me have been a great inspiration. I am fortunate to have met him and studied with him. He was able to clarify the use of WCK in combat for me and was able to guide me away from many of the Yip Man politics, by his example of applications and being low key.

I always questioned him if the previous WCK I learned was correct or not - his answer?

"Can you do it?" :)

My two sayings, "Let application be your guide" and "Let function rule over form" were based upon my experience with Hawkins Cheung. His teachings allowed me to find my own WCK.

Nowadays, so many people argue about how high Tan Sao is, but if you put a person on the Jong or with a person attacking them, that determines the height of the Tan Sao.

Some branches talk about "Superior footwork", but Hawkins' answer to me was simple and direct: "If your house is on fire, do you really care about your footwork?" :)

My Sifu has been in semi-retirement for years and suffering from a mild ailment. He still occasionally teaches classes in West LA, when he is not travelling back and forth to Hong Kong.

You can usually tell how practical someone MA skills are based on how they answer "technical" questions and that "house on fire" statement was priceless !

Jeff Bussey
04-22-2008, 05:47 AM
Hi Robert,

To me, this sums up wing chun perfectly. People think too much.

J

ronro
04-22-2008, 09:12 AM
Sounds good. Does anyone know where I can purchase Hawkins Cheung's DVD?

sanjuro_ronin
04-22-2008, 10:05 AM
http://www.hawkinscheung.com/