PDA

View Full Version : Argument over Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon?

Koontzy
05-05-2001, 05:07 PM
My friends thinks that all the Kug Fu or MMA is real in that movie? is this true? he swears it is...if so what styles are being used....I also heard that the Matrix was fake or Movie Kung Fu???

Thanks

-Koontzy

Matt-le-kat
05-05-2001, 05:42 PM
I don't know about crouching tiger, but i know that keanu reeves and lawrence fish boy aren't kung fu stylists. A famous choreographer made up the scenes.
No kung fu in a movie is 'real'.

Nothing is to be feared, only understood....

Matt-le-kat
05-05-2001, 05:43 PM
I don't know about crouching tiger, but i know that keanu reeves and lawrence fish boy aren't kung fu stylists. A famous choreographer made up the scenes.
No kung fu in a movie is real. It's all scripted and performed by guys hanging off wires.

Nothing is to be feared, only understood....

Brad
05-05-2001, 05:50 PM
Uhm...they were flying :D There were a few real movements a could pick out(saw a couple Taiji moves), but of course everything was highly exagerated using wires. And none of the actors (except maybe Michele Yoeh) had any formal MA training other that for the movie.

Brad
05-05-2001, 05:56 PM
Matt-le-kat is right. All kungfu in movies are scripted and coreographed in a way too make the actors skill look super heroic.

Crimson Phoenix
05-05-2001, 07:11 PM
Bagua was used in the fight against Jade Fox (with the typical deer hook swords).
I also noticed some moves akin to Wudang swordplay...but don't be mistaken, it's in majority just choreography with a gong fu flavor.
I have to disagree though, some movies show real gong fu: movies made by Lau Kar Leung (Liu Cha Liang) are typically representative of the martial virtues (Wude) and contain genuine gong fu: Lau's father was a disciple of Wong Fei Hung and a brother-in-arms of Lam Sai Wing, and his mother was also famous for her Wing Chun...
Lau is the real thing!
Phoenix

Ryu
05-05-2001, 07:20 PM
:eek:
Oh God!!!!!

LOL, here it comes all over again!
;) The actors used lots of strings, etc. to help them jump around, flip, and kick 5 times in the air without coming down. It's choreography. I'm sure they have some skill, but if you look at the making of a film you see quickly that the fights are basically just "dances" on screen.
MMA???????????????? Where was there MMA in that movie?? :D (ps. if anyone says Lo's ****y attempts at ground fighting were MMA I'm personally going to go to Lo's house and pants him in front of everyone.)

;)

(it's early and I haven't had my coffee yet)

Ryu

http://judoinfo.com/images/kimura1.gif

judo legend, Masahiko Kimura

atsai
05-05-2001, 07:44 PM
Is this some really lame troll or something? LOL :D
Ryu,
I've been practicing "Mo Fu" for a while now. Are you telling me that I will never achieve the level of jumping 20 feet in the air and execute 25 kicks before landing?? CRAP, I thought those movies are kung fu instructional tapes...!!! eeeeek... :D

<form><INPUT TYPE="button" VALUE=" Art T " onClick="parent.location='mailto:arttsai@mediaone.net?subje ct=from kfo...'"><HR Width="97%">"You fight like you train." --Motto, USN Fighter Weapon School(TOPGUN)

<TABLE BORDER="3" CELLSPACING="1" CELLPADDING="1"><tr><TD> goto KF forum (http://forum.kungfuonline.com/1/OpenTopic?q=Y&a=frm&s=126197291&f=340190991)</td><td> goto forums lobby (http://forum.kungfuonline.com/1/OpenTopic?a=cfrm&s=126197291)</td></tr></table></form>

Ralek
05-05-2001, 08:07 PM
There is an issue of black belt magazine that has Steven Segal on the cover. Inside the magazine is an article for this movie you are talking about. The author talks about how there are some actual kung fu moves done. The author even says that people can jump really high in real life just like in the movie. He says that there are people who do leg exercises who can jump over buildings with few quick motions. I don't believe it but that's what the author said.

Koontzy
05-05-2001, 10:33 PM
Jump over buildings???lego buildings right :) I dont believe that...i have seen people that can jump and get 3 kicks off before landing though

Thx

-Koontzy

Design Sifu
05-09-2001, 02:15 AM
I read a book about some guy who could jump over buildings in a single bound!!!

Radhnoti
05-09-2001, 06:42 AM
Let me guess D.S. he was wearing blue tights with a big S on his chest? I've seen that guy too!
Anybody know the style that guy practiced? I'd like to sign up!

-Radhnoti

Kiasyd
05-09-2001, 07:14 PM
If you have to wear that blue red suit, it does not worth it... It's too ridiculous. :D

-- Kiasyd

Son_Goku
05-13-2001, 02:54 PM
"I don't know about crouching tiger, but i know that keanu reeves and lawrence fish boy aren't kung fu stylists. A famous choreographer made up the scenes.
No kung fu in a movie is 'real'."

The two of them trained for nearly a year-and-a-half to learn those moves; they now know kung-fu and some tkd.

Fear.....Fear attracts the fearful.....The strong....the weak....the innocent....
Fear is my ally

edziak
05-14-2001, 11:38 AM
At first I thought the running up walls was all fabricated untill Sombody posted a link to a shaolin site. Sure enough it had pictures of monks running up walls like they did in Crouching Tiger. They got pretty high form the looks of it.

Scott
05-15-2001, 05:14 AM
From what I hear the people who taught the Matrix fighters were a real badass wushu team; but alot of the moves are improperly done in the movie, making it very hard to tell that what is being done is actually contemporary Wushu (and I'm sure some things were sacrificed for the effect of looks.) My guess is the same applies to Crouching Tiger.

-Scott

"Life is hard, but so am I." -- The Eels.

peehoo
05-20-2001, 10:12 PM
If you watch the dojo(kwoon) sene in the matrix you'll notice how much smoother LF was than Canoe(sorry i mean keanu), thats because the chap has done kungfu on n off for a while, he also has done some internal martial art as well and the chaps trained for those sequences for well over 6 months (Keanu started training before they had started filming) some moves are the real deal but they are performed in a flowery way to appeal to cinema goers

The thing i don't get is when they load Neo with the different arts he finshes by saying "i know kungfu", but as we know kungfu gets used as a generic by people to describe CMA he should of said"i have kungfu"

do without doing

Nutt'nhunny
07-03-2001, 03:59 AM
why is it that when people say so and so chinese guy can jump really high and run up walls, no one believes him, but no one bats an eye when a black guy is doing the same thing.

The high jumping is true. Not over buildings, but really high. The training sucks and I have chosen not to undergo it. Its fa jing, with giant legs and loads of chi kung.

As for wall running I have seen kids in the ghetto do the same thing. Along with flipping over fences and flipping off of walls I've seen kids push over plaster surface walls untill they reached the second story. I did this in a basket ball gym and got up past the hoop. Traditionally its done with a plank from a young age, as you get older the plank gets steeper.

didn't mean to be racist, just a personal observation.

How come Frank Shamrock can jump so high? It must be made up, those pictures in blackbelt must have been trick photography or maybe its that he has two trees where most people have legs.

Black_Talon
07-03-2001, 10:05 PM
I really enjoyed the sword fighting in this movie!

Especially Chow Yun Fat, he must of really practiced a lot!

------------------
Some may boast of prowess bold,
Of the school they think so grand,
But there's a Spirit, can ne'er be told,
It's the Spirit of Aggieland
------------------
------------------
UT Unlimited, your premier mapping site!
Ace82@unrealism.com
UT Unlimited (http://utu.unrealism.com)

JasBourne
07-05-2001, 04:22 PM
It can be done without wires, to a certain extent. Jackie Chan does it all the time in his movies. It's acrobatics, not kungfu.

If you want "real kungfu" in a movie, get "Prodigal Son". That's acknowledged as having the most realistic kungfu fighting in a movie. Lots of Wing Chun and Bak Mei kungfu there, no wires.

But even in 'realistic' movies like Prodigal Son, it's still all scripted and choreographed, not real fights. They're MOVIES, guys... ;)

--------------------------------------
"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is. "
- Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut