PDA

View Full Version : Wu Tang Collection - Any good buys?

HuangKaiVun
02-26-2001, 04:27 PM
I love Arena Home Video (HK Connection) and would love to get a wicked cool movie from their "Wu-Tang Collection".

Unfortunately, I got "Drunken Wu-Tang" and it was a ****-poor movie.

I've seen "Shaolin vs. Wu Tang" and "Mystery of Chess Boxing". Both were superb.

I'm looking for a Wu-Tang movie (not necessarily under Arena) which has cool costumes, few wires, an outlandish story, and GREAT FIGHT SCENES.

Recommendations?

FongSaiYuk
02-26-2001, 07:48 PM
Huang,
Yeah, I like those too. Check out "Shaolin and Wutang" if you can find it. If you're wondering, It's not the same movie as "Shaolin vs Wutang. It's very cool and it even has Gordon Liu in it. Another newer one from the Wutang collection is "Lord of The Wutang" starring Jet li. That's a pretty wild one too. There's a video store near me that carries almost all of the Wutang collection but you have to be careful; some of them really stink!
-FSYY

HuangKaiVun
02-26-2001, 11:22 PM
Oops, I did mean Shaolin & Wutang. It was a fantastic flick.

Is that Jet Li movie filled with wires? If it is, I'm not getting it.

Any word on the other movies?

Jimbo
02-27-2001, 03:45 AM
A couple I have that are under the "Wu Tang" collection label are Hell'z Windstaff" (Starring Meng Hai and Hwang Jang-Lee); The Invincible Armour (starring John Liu and Hwang Jang-Lee); and Killer Bs (starring Hsia Kuang-li).

Obviously, Hell'z Windstaff and Killer Bs are new titles created by the Xenon group. (Killer Bs was originally titled The Woman Avenger. This one starts out so-so but gets better as it goes along, about a female kicker. Invincible Armour has a decent storyline about a villain with golden bell cover. Hell'z Windstaff has a very good classic Hwang Jang-Lee big final fight, but this one is in Cantonese with sub-par subtitles.

BTW...I've noticed a lot of Xenon Group's/Arena's releases are given new hip-hop-style titles, like "Wu Tang Ho's, Thugs, and Scrillah." (originally titled Bandits, Prostitutes, and Silver). :)
Jim

NyHc
02-27-2001, 07:41 PM
What's the story with those "Wu-Tang Collection" flicks? The titles can not be the original titles. Some of them are called "Method Man" "Killah B's". If I see a movie titled "Ol' Dirty *******", I think I'll scream. It seems to me like Rza bought out the rights to these movies and renamed 'em.
Just curious.
Invincible Armor is pretty good.

Jimbo
02-28-2001, 04:09 AM
Yeah, they renamed several of their releases. Maybe because they think the new hip-hop type titles will attract more attention from young people. I like the original titles a lot better. (I'm glad they let some keep their original titles, like Invincible Armour, for example).
Jim

HuangKaiVun
02-28-2001, 07:35 AM
So any more cool Wu-Tang Collection "hits"?

NyHc
02-28-2001, 10:19 PM
I saw one telling Tamo's story - or something thereof. I had to shut it off though. It was pretty bad.
I think it was called "Killah Priest".

Jimbo
03-01-2001, 02:16 AM
There is a collection from the same company called Wu Tang Forbidden Treasures (the boxes are usually yellow colored.
Some of the ones I personally like or find at least quite interesting include:

The Odd Couple (starring Sammo Hung and Lau Kar-Wing).

The Secret Master (original title, Legend of a Fighter...stars Leung Ka Yan, Yasuaki Kurata).

South Shaolin Master (good mainland kung-fu movie...better than other mainland offerings IMO).

Silver Fox Rivals parts I and II (original titles: Secret Rivals and Secret Rivals II. Interesting because they are John Liu's first films, and very early Hwang Jang-Lee).

The ******* Kung Fu Master (Starring Cliff Lok and Hwang Jang-Lee).

If you like Leung Ka-Yan (Liang Jia Ren), under the Dolomite collection is Thundering Mantis, which I like.
Jim

beiquan
03-22-2001, 02:07 AM
look for "Undaunted Wu Dang", you might be able to find it at reel.com (not an Arena flick, thankfully)... it's a mainland movie with really good fight scenes, footage from Wudangshan and no wires...

SevenStar
03-22-2001, 08:10 PM
I have just recently started seeing these wu tang movies in stores, but I've been a fan of Wu-Tang Clan for years. Are these new moives named after titles and such from Wu Tang members and lyrics, or have these movies been around and the Clan based their image around them? I readn an interview with Wu-Tang members that stated they watched a lot of kung fu movies growing up and they incorporated that with their image, but I don't recall them mentioning any of these wu tang movies.

"A wise man speaks because he has something to say; A fool speaks because he has to say something."

Jimbo
03-22-2001, 10:11 PM
Sevenstar:
All of these movies have been around for a long time, mid-1970s to early 1980s. Most of them released under Wu Tang Collection have been retitled to have the name "Wu Tang" in them. The group Wu Tang Clan takes the name obviously from Wu Tang mountain, site of Taoist martial arts, but their nicknames are based on old kung fu movie titles or characters. I watched a lot of these films in theatres many, many years before the group Wu Tang Clan was ever formed.
Jim