PDA

View Full Version : Chinese school in Cincinnati

ghostexorcist
04-20-2008, 02:51 AM
Yesterday, I learned from my Taiwanese dentist at the V.A. Hospital on Vine Street (for those of you who know where that is) that there is a Chinese school in Cincinnati. I had told her I was going to be majoring in Chinese in college, but that I had not started any of my language courses yet. (In fact, I probably won't start school until next year.) She was thrilled that a westerner was so interested in Chinese culture. She went on to say her white husband could speak a smattering of Chinese, but her children were not that interested in it until recently. So, the lot of them started attending the school.

I can honestly say that I was thrilled to learn about this place. I feel I would do better in my college courses if I begin attending these Chinese classes since it will give me a strong foundation in the language. I would rather air out whatever problems I might have with learning the language in a relaxed environment than struggle in my college language courses. She told me it's taught at the Raymon Walters branch of the University of Cincinnati in Blue Ash and the tuition is (with books) about $200 a semester. It is not a college course, but an actual school run out of the blue ash campus. I looked up their website and they teach K - 8th grade. Adults and children can attend classes. The only problem I see is that they only teach simplified Chinese and not both that and traditional. But I guess that is better than just language alone. They meet every Sunday from 2pm-5pm if I remember correctly.

I wish I would have known about this years ago. I attended college for a brief time, but had to temporarily drop out because the military would not pay for all of my classes. It will be 4 years in August since I attended the main branch of the University of Cincinnati. if I had known about this school sooner, I would have been attending it the last few years. Anyway, I figured that there were lots of westerners on this site like me who wanted to learn Chinese, but could never find cheap courses or even knew of the existence of such courses. $200 a semester may seem expensive to some, but that is cheaper than the thousands you will spend at an actual college. If you live in the Cincinnati area, look them up: http://www.cccschool.org/

B-Rad
04-20-2008, 04:51 AM
The only problem I see is that they only teach simplified Chinese and not both that and traditional.
Depending on what text book they use, there might be both simplified and traditional versions available is you want to try learning both sets of characters at the same time on your own.

ghostexorcist
04-22-2008, 11:54 AM
Depending on what text book they use, there might be both simplified and traditional versions available is you want to try learning both sets of characters at the same time on your own.
As far as I know, the books are just simplified. But I will surely learn traditional in college. Having a basic understanding of the simplified characters when I enter school will give me an advantage in learning traditional.