PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here train in or ever trained in Jingang Quan?

SAAMAG
04-20-2008, 11:34 AM
Just curious to see if there are fellow students of this system...

Ben Gash
04-20-2008, 02:26 PM
Surely Jingang Quan is a northern system? :confused:

David Jamieson
04-20-2008, 05:02 PM
diamond fist? a system? I thought this was a single set from the contemporary shaolin curriculum.

HardWork8
04-23-2008, 11:56 AM
Just curious to see if there are fellow students of this system...

Vankuen, you are not going internal on us all of a sudden?:eek::confused::D

Ben Gash
04-24-2008, 02:23 AM
diamond fist? a system? I thought this was a single set from the contemporary shaolin curriculum.

There's a very funky internal/external system similar to Baji called Jingangquan or Jingang Bashi http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPZ9qKk--Us&feature=related

David Jamieson
04-24-2008, 08:14 AM
There's a very funky internal/external system similar to Baji called Jingangquan or Jingang Bashi http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPZ9qKk--Us&feature=related

That really looks like Shaolin. I asked him what the connection is, or if it's connected. But dang it looks like shaolin. even practiced in roads! :)
Thanks Ben.

Pork Chop
04-24-2008, 04:01 PM
didn't old forum poster RFM used to teach that?
(I seen him post a couple times in the past year or two).
Coulda sworn he told me on the phone that it was similar to Tien Shan Pai - which i saw a lot of in maryland.

That form on the youtube clip is pretty sweet; though it's jin gang bashi and not jin gang quan.
Gives me much more of a shadow boxing feel than a lot of forms.
Some sweet combos that are similar to some of the stuff i do as a southpaw in boxing - using my lead to find & create holes in opponent's defense and then using the same hand to pop him.
The non-striking moves still had intent so they didn't look like just hand waving.
Some nice throws in there too.
Seems to have good power, use of the hips, and he doesn't seem too hung up on stances.

The actual jingang quan clips look a lot more like shaolin stuff like xiao hong quan.
Most actual shaolin stuff I just don't get - even straight forward stuff like lian huan quan or wu bu quan; but especially stuff like xiao and da hong quan.

street_fighter
04-24-2008, 08:49 PM
I study baji with Zhou Shifu:). Its JingangBashi (i don't think he ever calls it jingangquan), and i don't think there is any connection to the few forms called jingang floating around. its the only "system" i know of with that name, but i am not an authority (in any sense of the word:D). I believe a brief history has been written on a few videos, as well as the website. Talk to my shixiong "Jingang" on youtube, he'll straighten you out.

Pork Chop. I assure you he is a stickler with stances:), but they are looked at from a practicality point of view, so there is alittle leeway in regards to shape. His baji is one of the only chinese arts i have seen in which no adaptation of form is necessary for the applications. Take a look at the xingpiquan vids; its the first "application" form... can't wait to study it. I believe it uses a left lead as well.

Pork Chop
04-24-2008, 09:37 PM
Pork Chop. I assure you he is a stickler with stances:), but they are looked at from a practicality point of view, so there is alittle leeway in regards to shape. His baji is one of the only chinese arts i have seen in which no adaptation of form is necessary for the applications. Take a look at the xingpiquan vids; its the first "application" form... can't wait to study it. I believe it uses a left lead as well.

I didn't mean that comment as an insult.
Stance IS important.
But to me, it's more important to maintain balance, encourage mobility, and generate power than having all stances be 6 inches off the ground - the guy in the vid's stances meet that criteria (except maybe that pose at the end hehe).

The beginning of the xingpiquan vid, he's basically doing his version of slipping outside a jab and firing to the body. Kinda interesting to see how that move is translated in kung fu and further translated into the form.

The guy moves pretty well, i just wish there were more examples of the stuff in action. The 1988 clip's a good start, but it'd be awesome to see more, esp w/head contact:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ir0MWNtMv4
That big dude that was on that CCTV show fighting all the little guys wasn't that impressive, sorry.

RFM
04-25-2008, 10:02 AM
Pork Chop is right, I used to teach Jingang Quan and I was very blessed to have Vankuen as one of my students (though he probably taught me more about Chinese martial arts!).

While I retain quite a bit of knowledge, I have been out of practice for a very long time and considering my limitations now - I would have to modify what I know.

Jingang Quan is a rather obscure art and I really don't know of too many who would still be practicing, though I believe the art is still taught in Hawaii. I've lost touch with my master years ago.

Since leaving SATX where I taught, my job (US Army) required more time and training and ultimately, deployment to Iraq in 2003. I miss it, but have since filled my time with greater, nobler pursuits - my Christian ministry, but I still throw a kick and a punch now and then and may pick it back up. Too bad Van wasn't here in Kansas, I could use his enthusiasm and skill.

Peace,
Bob

B-Rad
05-01-2008, 07:43 AM
That really looks like Shaolin. I asked him what the connection is, or if it's connected. But dang it looks like shaolin. even practiced in roads!
I know the baji quan systems that come from Li Shu Wen (like Liu Yun Qiao's and Huo Dian Ge's systems) have eight forms of jin gang ba shi practiced in roads though it's much less intricate than what Zhou Jing Xuan shows. According to a comment they made on one of the youtube videos, Jin Gang Ba Shi is a shaolin based system whose teachers intermingled with some Baji Quan teachers (at least Li Shu Wen). They adopted a basic version of the eight hands of Jin Gang Ba Shi for Baji Quan and did their own thing with it. At least that's what someone posted... not sure how accurate it is.

SAAMAG
05-06-2008, 07:34 AM
Oops! I didn't have this thread listed in my subscriptions and so didn't see the replies!

Yes, Jingang quan is a southern shaolin excerpt. Relatively direct in it's application of techniques, and has a full spectrum of chinese elements to include chi gung, dit da jow recipes, and the like. Not much in terms of groundwork, but there is plenty of punching, kicking, low stances, chin na, and Shou kuai jiao techniques there.

I'm glad you got on here Bob Sifu! You wouldn't happen to have another one of those handbooks laying around would you?? Reuben has the last one and his isn't it too good of shape. All of my notes went down with the last computer hard drive!!!

I'll pay for the shipping if you can send me another copy of it (if you have it that is).

Thanks!

RFM
05-06-2008, 08:28 PM
I can get you a copy alright, one for you and Reuben, email a good mailing address!

Peace,
Bob