PDA

View Full Version : Ya Ya (ufc 83 spoiler)

David Jamieson
04-20-2008, 06:21 PM
GSP = w00t! serra=pwned

ftw

the man is unstoppable at the moment.

David Jamieson
04-20-2008, 06:25 PM
GSP+Submission skeelz = Serra Pwned hard

good job George!

Takuan
04-20-2008, 10:18 PM
hellz yeah!

I was talking so much **** on Serra, too. But after he carried GSP around the ring, I have tons of respect for Serra now, as well.

WAR GSP!

sanjuro_ronin
04-21-2008, 04:27 AM
At this point, GSP is mixing his MA perfectly.
He is striking like a striker and grappling like a grappler.
Nice work.

David Jamieson
04-21-2008, 05:42 AM
tapping from knees to the ribs is a new one though. I haven't seen that before.

sanjuro_ronin
04-21-2008, 06:16 AM
Any links yet?
I wanna see it again.

sanjuro_ronin
04-21-2008, 07:29 AM
http://www.ufc-forums.com/showthread.php?t=435

Grazie !

To quote Sugar Ray Leonard, "you beat the style, not the man".

sanjuro_ronin
04-21-2008, 07:36 AM
Yep, those knees were punishing to watch.
he's been working on them, as one can see.

Georges is so good right now he can b eat people at their own game.

A masterful display.

monji112000
04-21-2008, 08:21 AM
GSP+Submission skeelz = Serra Pwned hard

good job George!

I was very disappointed in Serra. It was obvious that GSP was more prepared and out classed him. It looks like he just picked up an Eddie bravo book, and didn't really practice it.(It didn't help that GSP is an amazing wrestler) WTF?
I waiting for the amazing JJ that he has. I'm waiting for the next fight, maybe Serra can give a better performance. I was going for Serra the whole time ( knowing that GSP was going to win).

AmanuJRY
04-21-2008, 03:20 PM
I was rooting for Serra...but it's obvious that GSP is younger and sharper at the game.

I liked how in the pre-fight interview GSP said there is no such thing as a lucky punch...

David Jamieson
04-21-2008, 06:42 PM
Well, they WILL fight again. I think in New York.

I have been watching GSP's career from the start and holy cow has he advanced.

he was a total striker in the beginning and now he is the definition of mixed martial artist.

very impressive martial individual.

SoCo KungFu
04-22-2008, 07:31 AM
I thought this UFC was a good one all around. Aside from the Nate Quarry fight (which while somewhat boring, is the first time I've seen someone give the finger in the middle of a pro fight), they were all pretty entertaining.

As for the GSP vs Serra...
Serra was just outclassed. I think a lot probably had to do with his conditioning..and when GSP is focused, he is just too much for most even in their "A" game.

I don't think it was really GSP beating Serra at his own game though. More like GSP using his game effectively to eliminate Serra's threat. He used superior striking combined with a beautiful grappling game to grab takedowns and, what I think is the most important part, maintaining dominate position. He was never in any real danger of fighting off his back. He was constantly pressuring with the GnP. He was able to stay safe from the submission. And being on top, he could actually breath and use his weight to conserve energy. Serra on the other hand, was constantly in that position. And while that is his thing, it still is a hard fight. Especially if his injury screwed his conditioning (which it was obvious he was gassed).

By the time GSP started landing those killer knees to his ribs, Serra I think just didn't have anything left in the tank. That being said, I didn't see any indication he nor his corner threw the towel. I think it was just a ref stoppage seeing as how he wasn't defending himself, just taking the blows.

I thought it was a very entertaining line-up with this ufc.

monji112000
04-22-2008, 10:08 AM
I thought this UFC was a good one all around. Aside from the Nate Quarry fight (which while somewhat boring, is the first time I've seen someone give the finger in the middle of a pro fight), they were all pretty entertaining.

I thought that fight was very sad. I am trying to understand what the heck kalib was thinking...

as for Serra... he was in his bread and butter position (guard and half guard). I'm sure I would have done much worse, but I'm not a world class BJJ blackbelt.

SoCo KungFu
04-22-2008, 10:26 AM
I thought that fight was very sad. I am trying to understand what the heck kalib was thinking...

Probably along the lines of, "Why the hell am I in the cage with this big mofo?"
That being said, I wont dog him for backing up the whole fight. At least he stepped in the begin with, though that will probably be the only time he'll get a shot from Dana.

as for Serra... he was in his bread and butter position (guard and half guard). I'm sure I would have done much worse, but I'm not a world class BJJ blackbelt.

Its still hard to fight off your back though. No matter how good he may be at the position. You get wore out so much faster. Its harder to breath, punches hurt you a lot more than you can hurt them. Not the place you want to be against someone like GSP. That combined with the fact he never really had the chance to mount an offensive. GSP pulled side a lot too, and layed out punishment from there.

WinterPalm
04-22-2008, 02:21 PM
Just downloaded the fights.

WTF with Lutter?
I mean, we've all gassed but that was messed up!

monji112000
04-22-2008, 05:55 PM
Probably along the lines of, "Why the hell am I in the cage with this big mofo?"
That being said, I wont dog him for backing up the whole fight. At least he stepped in the begin with, though that will probably be the only time he'll get a shot from Dana.

Its still hard to fight off your back though. No matter how good he may be at the position. You get wore out so much faster. Its harder to breath, punches hurt you a lot more than you can hurt them. Not the place you want to be against someone like GSP. That combined with the fact he never really had the chance to mount an offensive. GSP pulled side a lot too, and layed out punishment from there.
with kalib,

Its one thing to backup for strategy, its another to run around the whole fight. I give him all the respect for going into the fight, but I honestly I would have rather had my hand broken or been knocked out. Its permentantly out in the world for the rest of your life.. you look like the biggest punk b---h.

Fighting on your back is a bread and butter tactic from "GJJ" and BJJ. Its doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out its a hard position and its not the "best". That being said I would hope a person of Serra's skill level could have pulled something off better than that. I don't know the level of his injury... so maybe that played a big part in the fight. Half guard and full guard are not that bad of a position even in MMA. Granted GSP is a monster, so is Serra. Serra is no chump and he isn't fighting GSP out of pure luck.

sanjuro_ronin
04-23-2008, 04:20 AM
GSP out grappled Matt, just that simple, he took him down at will, established dominate position and finished him off, albeit with strikes rather than subs.
Still, taking someone down at will and dominating them via positioning is the core of grappling and BJJ in particular.

David Jamieson
04-23-2008, 07:31 AM
in my eyes, Serra merely failed to bring it that night and was handled more or less like a ragdoll throughout that fight. It didn't even go the distance.

not harping on Serra. Everyone has a low day. That was his.

WinterPalm
04-23-2008, 04:34 PM
Nate Quarry looked pretty awesome too...I liked the way he was mixing up his striking. Too bad the other guy didn't give him a better fight...it seemed like when he engaged he did alright...but then he would become tentative.

lkfmdc
04-23-2008, 07:56 PM
If you are not a BJJ guy and/or you don't know Serra, I guess it's hard to appreciate how amazing what GSP did was. Serra is VERY HIGH LEVEL BJJ, he is a black belt under Renzo and a mundial champion. He has an amazing guard. That GSP passed it, looking like he was passing it at will, it is an amazing thing. His entire ground and pound would not have been what it was if not for this aspect. Props to GSP, amazing fight

sanjuro_ronin
04-24-2008, 04:33 AM
If you are not a BJJ guy and/or you don't know Serra, I guess it's hard to appreciate how amazing what GSP did was. Serra is VERY HIGH LEVEL BJJ, he is a black belt under Renzo and a mundial champion. He has an amazing guard. That GSP passed it, looking like he was passing it at will, it is an amazing thing. His entire ground and pound would not have been what it was if not for this aspect. Props to GSP, amazing fight

Correctmundo !

David Jamieson
04-24-2008, 06:04 AM
UFC cut Starnes contract and booted him off the cards.

I personally think that Starnes wanted it that way and hence his really poor showing.

and yeah, i agree, Serra is a primo bjj guy. Which in turn shows that GSP works really realy really (add 489 more reallys here) Hard.

monji112000
04-27-2008, 11:48 AM
UFC cut Starnes contract and booted him off the cards.

I personally think that Starnes wanted it that way and hence his really poor showing.

and yeah, i agree, Serra is a primo bjj guy. Which in turn shows that GSP works really realy really (add 489 more reallys here) Hard.

I'm not sure what starnes was thinking.

Its funny the first GSP vrs Serra , Serra beat GSP at "his game" and the second time GSP schooled Serra at "his game".

GSP is clearly an amazing MMA fighter. His wrestling skills are amazing.
I wonder what a third match will bring.

lkfmdc
04-28-2008, 10:28 AM
I wonder what a third match will bring.

"PAIN"

(you got to do it with a Mr. T voice) :D

monji112000
04-28-2008, 07:07 PM
"PAIN"

(you got to do it with a Mr. T voice) :D

sorry I didn't find a clip of him saying that but this was funny
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBMibtjDJp0&feature=related
I'll give Serra some credit, and third match would be fun to watch. I don't think he would take it lightly, his game would probably be better... who knows.
:D