PDA

View Full Version : Best movie ever?

Martial Joe
03-16-2001, 08:58 AM
In your opinion.What is the best Martial Arts movie ever?

Brad
03-16-2001, 03:20 PM
Fist of Legend is my favorite because of the amazing fight scenes. I loved Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon though for just about everything else :)

Brad
03-16-2001, 03:22 PM
Some honorable mentions: Drunken Master 2, Shaolin Temple, Tai Chi Master, and Enter the Dragon

Ghost Dog
03-16-2001, 03:34 PM
As sad as it sounds, I still love Enter the Dragon. However, Crouching Tiger beats the pants off everything else and will continue to do so in the foreseeable future.
Has anyone seen a film called something like 'the 36 chambers of shaolin' or something to that affect? Any good?

qeySuS
03-16-2001, 07:31 PM
crouching tiger, and i loved fist of legend too. Although he would have had to die in the end insted of that cheesy hollywood ending. Then i would have been happy.

Free thinkers are dangerous.

ope
03-16-2001, 07:37 PM
You guys should see Iron Monkey.. i think its very good better then first of legend and tai chi master also known as twin worriors...

Jaguar Wong
03-16-2001, 07:49 PM
You thought Iron Monkey was better than Fist of Legend? Story-wise perhaps. I loved the fight scenes in both, though. Donnie Yen was pretty darn smooth in Iron Monkey.

I still gotta say Drunken Master 2, though. Just the sword vs spear fight under a train outdoes almost every MA flick I've seen (even though I've seen too many american crap movies, though - right apowen ;)). The last fight was cool, man. Ken Lo had some nice supervillain-esque moves on him. I would have liked fist of legend better if Jet Li didn't try so hard to do those goofy free flowing footwork scenes. Leave that to the experts like Bruce Lee, and Muhammed Ali (is that how you spell it?).

Jaguar Wong

Budokan
03-16-2001, 09:00 PM
It hasn't been made yet; all Marts movies are much too derivative of one another. Perhaps in our lifetime...

K. Mark Hoover

Martial Joe
03-16-2001, 09:08 PM
Yes a love Fist of Legend also.I havent seen crouching tiger yet.

rogue
03-16-2001, 10:19 PM
The movies Glory, Karate Kid, Last of the Mohicans and Above the Law.

Is the movie Shaolin vs Lama any good?

kungfu cowboy
03-16-2001, 10:44 PM
I highly recommend shaolin vs. lama. Its pretty funny, and there are some decent fight and master- teaching-student scenes.

Ryu
03-17-2001, 12:06 AM
Crouching Tiger was an okay movie, but nothing spectacular. Most of my Chinese friends agree that it was just a normal kung fu film, but was kinda "made for America" in a way.
Not a bad film though.

Ryu

http://judoinfo.com/images/kimura1.gif

judo legend, Masahiko Kimura

jutsow
03-17-2001, 01:14 AM
since no one else will i will state the obvious.

american ninja
pray for death

Abstract
03-17-2001, 01:54 AM
I dunno that's tough, but I saw Crouching Tiger 2wice already..that was dope...Enter the Dragon, Shaolin Temple, Fist of Legend, AND if u can find it? 'The 7 Grandmasters' this cat uses the Pak Mei style & he has to fight the other masters of each animal style...good story, alittle campy setting, but it's definetly worth checkin out. ;)

ope
03-17-2001, 01:55 AM
Did you guys relise that people who do kungfu or martial art on the whole appreciate kungfu and martial art movies more.. i mean i could be sitting with my friends (who dont do any kinda martial art) and they get bored or they think the movie is stupid but im there really into it.. like fist of legend or iron monkey... i actually bought those movies on dvd :)

Kumkuat
03-17-2001, 09:14 AM
I hate showing kung fu movies to people who aren't interested in martial arts. But when I watch it with my friends who are into martial arts, it's pretty fun.

SearchingForZen
03-17-2001, 09:49 AM
crouching tiger hidden dragon .. no argument ... best movie ever ..... my Sifu provides wires ....
oops .. 'ninja breaks bed' is not in circulation except with bfriend and me and a few trusted friends
cheech and chong up in smoke was kinda good too
:cool:

Prairie
03-17-2001, 10:14 AM
I don't have a single favorite movie, so here are a few of my top picks:

The Godfather trilogy
The Matrix
Natural Born Killers
Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon
Tai Chi Master
Pulp Fiction

Ciao for Now...

SearchingForZen
03-17-2001, 10:57 AM
btw i think that Rolls bloke is kinda cool .... he reminds me of me ... that nigglin toothache that won't go away :rolleyes:

rogue
03-17-2001, 04:02 PM
I hate Kung Fu movies. The story line is mostly unbelievable, I've seen better acting in Russ Meyers films, and the worst thing of all, the fighting is usually beyond absurd. Ditch the trampolines, the wire work and ignoring the laws of physics.

John Woo does some great action films, Hard Boiled being my favorite.

Other greats are Seven Samauri and Ran.

If I want some cool fantasy stuff I tend towards Animie, Ghost in the Shell rocks as does the Crying Freeman series. The story lines are usually better than Kung Fu movies.

Kairo
03-17-2001, 04:10 PM
Ive got it.
Its quite a good film, depicts the temple quite well. But unfortunately its the old,"You killed my father! I will avenege his death by killing everyone in the film".
This is also the only MA film I've seen when, as soon as he has learnt Shaolin, he does get hit once. He literally takes on an army of atleast 200 men at the same time.
It gets a bit silly, but heh! If you know Shaolin, it makes you feel **** good bout yourself.
OH! and I've gotta say that Lethal Weapon 4 was the worst MA-ish film I've seen. Good film, but Jet Li getting killed by them 2!?
Ha!
K.

jacob360
03-17-2001, 05:05 PM
I would have to say that Seven Samurai is one of the greatest movies I've ever seen.

Ryu
03-17-2001, 06:56 PM
Who mentioned Hard Boiled??

Very good pick.

Ryu

Jimbo
03-17-2001, 09:42 PM
It's pretty obvious most people who don't do martial arts at all will find martial arts movies boring as heck. I, personally, don't like football at all, and movies about football bore the hell out of me.

My favorite kung fu film is Shaolin Martial Arts, an old Shaw Brothers movie. My other favorites include: The Victim, The Kid From Kwangtung, Disciples of Shaolin, Heroes Two, He Has Nothing But Kung Fu, Kid With the Golden Arm, etc. THese are all old-school.

Iron Monkey is cool, but I thought the final fight on the poles was very lame. I realize the newer kung fu movies pretty much all have flying around, but that pole scene was way overdone and not very well thought-out, IMO, especially considering the earlier fights were more creative.
Jim

Martial Joe
03-17-2001, 11:02 PM
I remember seeing a very old black and white movie that was about a samuri worrior and aat the end about 50 soldiers killed him with bo and arrows...i dont know what it was called but it was in japanees and had the words of what they were saying at the bottom...I was realy into it.And this was before i even took martial arts.

Fu-Pow
03-17-2001, 11:13 PM
1)Shaolin Arts of Snake and Crane w/Jackie Chan(especially the opening scene)
2)Fearless Hyena also w/Jackie Chan
3)Master Killer
4)Either of the Drunken Master Movies
5)Shaolin Wooden Men also w/Jackie Chan
6)Tai Chi Master

Ok I guess I just think Jackie Chan is the Shiznit!

Fu-Pow

baji-boy
03-18-2001, 01:54 AM
Thanks to rogue who was the first to mention any Kurosawa films! I just recently saw Ran and Seven Samurai on my dad's Beta, and I can say they are some of the best movies ever. Of course, I also liked Crouching Tiger, as well as the great fight scenes from Drunken Master 2.

SilentShadow
03-18-2001, 07:07 PM
I'm glad to see that Fu-Pow mentioned Master Killer. That's my favorite oldschool kung fu flick. As for the new ones, I'd definetly have to agree with everybody else: Crouching Tiger, Fist of Legend and Enter the dragon. I've also become a big fan of kung fu dvd's due to their far from enthralling plots. :rolleyes:

"The way lays claim to no merit, therefore merit never deserts it." - Lao Tzu

Watchman
03-18-2001, 08:19 PM
I've always liked Last of the Mohicans for it's blade fighting scenes, especially the end of the movie. I also liked Gibson's tamahawk/knife work in "The Patriot".

Have you ever heard of "By The Sword"? It's a fencing movie with Eric Roberts as one of the leads. The main characters have a duel with live blades in the end that is one of the coolest sword fights I've seen on film.

03-18-2001, 08:33 PM
The movie I like the most is "Iron Monkey" this movie has a good story and some great martial arts.

Greetings Wong Fei Hong

03-18-2001, 09:45 PM
I just saw the movie crouching tiger hidden dragon. In my opinion it is the best movie ever made. I havn't seen a lot of kung fu movies so i can't compare it to other good kung fu movies.

Ryu
03-18-2001, 10:50 PM
Watchman! "By the Sword" is my favorite movie. Not just MA related, but my favorite film. Where on earth can I rent it?? I can't find it anywhere, and only see it on TV. It's wonderful.

Crouching Tiger was good, but the best ever?? Guys it is kind of a normal kung fu movie if you watch a lot from Hong Kong and Taiwan don't you think?

Ryu

Watchman
03-19-2001, 12:45 AM
Hey Ryu, "By The Sword" is really hard to find. They had it in the local Hollywood Video for a while, but pulled it for some reason. I finally had to break down and buy it off of Amazon.

It is a good flick, isn't it?

Lost_Disciple
03-19-2001, 03:06 AM
I agree with a lot of the other pix on here, mostly the old school stuff. I STILL haven't seen Crouching Tiger yet. The previews were all flying, and everyone was hyping it so much, that any interest in it kinda morphed into resentment. I'm beginning to doubt that I'll EVER see it.

On a side note, I had heard a lot about how good Iron Monkey was supposed to be, and it stars my favorite HK actor (Donny Yen). When I bought it, and finally saw it; I was more than a little disappointed.

Here are my pics that DON'T disappoint (me at least), and I watch all the time:

Five Venoms: Avenging Warriors of Shaolin, Killer Army, and of course The Five Deadly Venoms. Anything from them is good.

Jet Li: The Shaolin Temple Series, The first 3 Once Upon A Time in Chinas, Fist of Legend, Tai Chi Master, My father is a Hero, Bodyguard from Beijing, Fong Sai Yuk 1

Chen Kwan Tai: Iron Monkey 1 & 2 (the original), 3 Evil Masters, Return of the Five Deadly Venoms, just about anything from him is awesome.

Gordon Liu: Shaolin vs. Wu Tang, Master Killer, also had one good one with Chen Kwan Tai. Liu had some of the best, but also some of the worst (in my opinion): Liquid Sword, Warrior from Shaolin, Shaolin Drunken Monk

Li Yi Min: Maybe not all that famous, but in some good flix 7 Commandments of Kung Fu, 7 Grandmasters, Mastery of Chess Boxing

Jacky Chan: Almost everything from him is good, except maybe Fantasy Mission Force, Island of Fire, and some of his other Modern ones. Definitely check out Georgous.

Ti Lung: In a ton of good films, one of my fav's was Wu Tang Clan.

Samo Hung and Yuen Biao: They were in lots of good movies without Jackie. Ie: Knockabout, Dreadnaught, the Odd Couple, and the ever famous Magnificent Butcher.

Other honorable mentions:
Flying Guillotine,
Chinese Ghost Story,
Dragon from Shaolin (aka Yuen Wu Long- 1&2, with these 2 funny kids)
Seven Blows of the Dragon (chika-chika chaa)
5 Fighters from Shaolin
Da-Mo Master of Zen
Ghost Dog

THE GREATEST MOVIE EVER:
<H1> SIX STRING SAMURAI </H1>

Hope that wasn't too long he

Martial Joe
03-19-2001, 04:04 AM
Wow you spent a long time on that didnt you...

frosh2786
03-19-2001, 04:28 AM
fist of legend enter the dragon and drunken master 2...crouching tiger was good but those are classics

Ryu
03-19-2001, 09:13 AM
Watchman,
Amazon huh? Hmm I might have to do just that.
Yeah it was a great film. Very philosophical as well actually.

Ryu

kungfu cowboy
03-19-2001, 09:47 AM
I don't understand all the hubbub about "Enter the Dragon" or any other Bruce Lee movie. The fight scenes in all of them are pretty lame.

Budokan
03-19-2001, 06:01 PM
Martial Joe, I think the movie you're talking about is "Throne of Blood." It's Kurosawa's retelling of Shakespeare's "Macbeth"...and very well done I might add. Chilling and atmospheric.

K. Mark Hoover

Martial Joe
03-19-2001, 06:14 PM
Budokan, can you explain more about it...Maybe it is.Whats are some of the big events in the movie.I may remember them.

jethro
02-16-2006, 07:06 PM
action-fist of legend
story-legend of a fighter, heroes of the east? I think that is the name of it, it has Gordon Liu and Yusuka Kurata
Look-Hero and Musa
Best of the Best would be Legend of a fighter, Iron Monkey, or Young Master