PDA

View Full Version : The Lone Canadian: A New York San Da Instructor Seminar Review

WinterPalm
04-23-2008, 03:22 PM
From April 17 to the 20th I spent training at New York San Da.
I got to experience a wide variety of classes and then had two days of personalized instruction as I was the only one who registered...it was great because I got a private weekend of training but less so because I was drilling and then sparring with a bunch of Ross' fighters.:eek:

We covered a ton of material but what I walked away with mostly was not just drills and techniques (although there were piles of these that I am now working on integrating in my program) but the way they are trained, which everyone always harps on, and also the WHY you do X and Z instead of Y. To me this was the biggest benefit of the seminar. Learning technique, going through drills of why you do it, and then, somewhat, trying it out in sparring and seeing how the system flows together.

Aside from the seminar, I also had the opportunity to take some classes with the other guys who were all super friendly and encouraging, and got to see how the material is presented to a large group. Based on this I can say that even if no one takes the seminar, a day, week, month, whatever, of regular classes will benefit anyone. I know that in each segment I gained a new insight into training, technique, and fighting that I consider very valuable.
When presented with questions about specifics, Ross didn't just give me one answer or say to do this, he gave me the worst case scenario, a better one, an even better one, and a drill to insure one doesn't end up there! Ask one question and get four drills that all make sense and work...dayum!
While getting whupped in sparring Ross was telling me more and more things to do and although I proceeded to get whupped some more, I was able to do a few things. He's got an eye that only tons of experience can get you.

I hope at some point to go back and take a week of classes (that's another thing, full time instructors should take notice of the class breakdown and replicate it!) and maybe donate some more blood to the boxing ring.

Ben Gash
04-24-2008, 02:15 AM
****, now I'm really regretting not going, instead of just being a bit disappointed. I had planned to go this year, but the scheduling clashed for me :(

lkfmdc
04-24-2008, 07:50 AM
It's hard to do too many of these since I basicly shut down my school and get all my advanced students and fighters together to work with those who attend. This year was particularly strange because 2 guys who registered cancelled at the last minute so WinterPalm got an intensive private :D

The next opportunitiy would be July, October or perhaps November. If I knew one particular month worked for a lot of people, we could do it that month

Winter, working on giving you a completely up to date workbook. We updated a few of the curriculum outlines, including the blue belt outline, and we have more notes on the MMA stuff. In the meantime, I'll shoot you back a few answers and the code for the "intermediate" DVD....

WinterPalm
04-24-2008, 03:34 PM
Cool, that workbook sounds great!
Went through a bunch of the material the other day with my guys...they were amazed and loved it!
Thanks for the discount code...I have to wait a bit because I ordered some more shin guards and some of those Fairtex pads...but holy god the shipping to Canada with border fees and duties is awful.

Somebody has to renegotiate this NAFTA thing so average citizens can benefit.:cool:

diego
04-24-2008, 07:23 PM
Went through a bunch of the material the other day with my guys...they were amazed and loved it!
Thanks for the discount code...I have to wait a bit because I ordered some more shin guards and some of those Fairtex pads...but holy god the shipping to Canada with border fees and duties is awful.

Somebody has to renegotiate this NAFTA thing so average citizens can benefit.:cool:
Sounds like you had fun....San Da is real cool I had the chance to get a free seminar with Shou Yu Laing's disciple...can't remember his name right now but he's the bald white guy showing kickboxing in the Kung Fu Elements book. one two hour seminar and I was hooked...I went to help Jon Funk set up the mats for the Tiger Balm tournament as a volunteer and after we were done the san da champ shows up and i'm just like what sweet, full backstage pass...got to practise throws with Sifu Funk's teenage son. Good thread main:cool:

WinterPalm
04-25-2008, 05:28 AM
Sounds like you had fun....San Da is real cool I had the chance to get a free seminar with Shou Yu Laing's disciple...can't remember his name right now but he's the bald white guy showing kickboxing in the Kung Fu Elements book. one two hour seminar and I was hooked...I went to help Jon Funk set up the mats for the Tiger Balm tournament as a volunteer and after we were done the san da champ shows up and i'm just like what sweet, full backstage pass...got to practise throws with Sifu Funk's teenage son. Good thread main:cool:

I didn't know you were there!
I was the dehydrated guy drinking orange pedialyte and training with one of Jon Funk's students, Sifu Josh Schafer.
Small world.

MasterKiller
04-25-2008, 06:07 AM

The workbook is a valuable tool. I use it daily.

WinterPalm
04-25-2008, 07:24 PM
The workbook is a valuable tool. I use it daily.

I'm eagerly awaiting mine! I jotted down a ton of notes but there's only so much we covered, and of that, only so much I remember.

diego
04-26-2008, 02:02 AM
I didn't know you were there!
I was the dehydrated guy drinking orange pedialyte and training with one of Jon Funk's students, Sifu Josh Schafer.
Small world.

lol, I was the tall red head you helped do the Mantis foot sweep:)...You kept helping Jon Funk's son and I with the exercises.

diego
04-26-2008, 02:04 AM
I mean Josh is the one who helped with the throws:cool:

lkfmdc
04-29-2008, 08:39 AM
The updated workbook I am about to send winterpalm is now around 100 pages of just text... within the next 4 to 6 months we will take pictures to accompany the technique material and release it as a regular book

WinterPalm
04-29-2008, 08:42 AM
The updated workbook I am about to send winterpalm is now around 100 pages of just text... within the next 4 to 6 months we will take pictures to accompany the technique material and release it as a regular book

Awesome. I was thinking the other night that you should put together a book of some sort.