PDA

View Full Version : inner Tube For A Knee Brace?

wiz cool c
04-25-2008, 08:57 PM
Does any one know this method of ussing a bike inner tube ass a knee brace. If so could they please decribe it in detail . thank you.

Oso
04-26-2008, 05:25 AM
you mean like one of the velcro bands supporting just below the knee?

or somehow inserting your foot in a section of the innertube? must mean a motorcycle in that case?

you might get more response on the training forum.

wiz cool c
04-26-2008, 09:21 PM
something like you tie it around your knee. My judo teacher in new york told me so maybe it's an old judo trick. I just got his e-mail and sent him a message so hopefully Hear from him soon thanks.

monji112000
04-27-2008, 11:51 AM
may I ask why you are looking to do this?

why not buy a knee brace... or just train in pain.

Lee Chiang Po
04-27-2008, 08:54 PM
If you are having knee pain you are doing something wrong. If you continue you are likely to cause some sort of lasting damage to it. Pain is a dead givaway that you are doing something wrong. Stop it. Give it a rest and start again when it stops hurting you.
I don't know how old you are, but as an old **** I can tell you that one day you are going to feel all these old injuries. Knees go quickly as you get older. So you need to take care of them. Some of the modern day martial arts require extreme training methods to become good at them, and if they can cause injury to you while training you really need to have another long look at them. Mui Thai is just one that comes to mind.

Becca
04-27-2008, 09:11 PM
Pain is a dead givaway that you are doing something wrong.
Not nesisarily. It depends on the type of pain. Nerve pain and bone pain are bad, as is a buring sensation in the soft tissue, but the pain of hard exertion isn't all bad and joint pain in the form of arthritus can actually be eased by keeping the muscles that suport the joint working.

This inner tube trick sounds a lot like runners who tape their ankles to keep the bones from seperating too much with the repetative pounding of feet to pavement. (No, I don't do this, but I know several kung fu siblings and at least on sifu who do this.) Perhaps the inner tube is suposed to serve a similar function for supporting the knee.

Oso
04-28-2008, 04:09 AM
i think he's trying to replicate the knee band support similar to the type you wear if you have tennis elbow. I've seen em fit just below the knee, above the calf.

Pork Chop
04-28-2008, 08:26 AM
... Some of the modern day martial arts require extreme training methods to become good at them, and if they can cause injury to you while training you really need to have another long look at them. Mui Thai is just one that comes to mind.

I've had fewer lasting injuries from Muay Thai than from kung fu.
All the older Muay Thai guys I know - be they from the US or Thailand, can still perform their art with no problems.
I know of many more cases of older kung fu people with completely shot knees.
I agree with your post in spirit, but I think it's time to stop using Muay Thai as the example, because it's obviously not.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MbIIjXKTd8

monji112000
04-28-2008, 07:16 PM
Not nesisarily. It depends on the type of pain. Nerve pain and bone pain are bad, as is a buring sensation in the soft tissue, but the pain of hard exertion isn't all bad and joint pain in the form of arthritus can actually be eased by keeping the muscles that suport the joint working.

This inner tube trick sounds a lot like runners who tape their ankles to keep the bones from seperating too much with the repetative pounding of feet to pavement. (No, I don't do this, but I know several kung fu siblings and at least on sifu who do this.) Perhaps the inner tube is suposed to serve a similar function for supporting the knee.

I agree pain can be bad and good(well not good but ok). I still get a small amount of pain when I do penetration steps. Its mostly gone, but if I do them slowly its still present. I believe its from my muscles still not being strong enough. Just get knee pads... whats the big deal? heck it stops mat burn... that alone should make you buy them. JMO

Becca
04-28-2008, 07:40 PM
What? You don't like having marks of unusual size and color on places of your body that don't usually have marks?:D

I actually ended up buying a nice selection of bike and yoga pants due to mat burn issues. Parts of my feet, unfortunately, seem to be perminantly purple. And the pain from a fresh mat burn definantly comes to mind as "bad" pain.

monji112000
04-28-2008, 08:24 PM
What? You don't like having marks of unusual size and color on places of your body that don't usually have marks?:D

I actually ended up buying a nice selection of bike and yoga pants due to mat burn issues. Parts of my feet, unfortunately, seem to be perminantly purple. And the pain from a fresh mat burn definantly comes to mind as "bad" pain.

well I have started using GI pants (I hate wearing gi anything) and knee pads. The mat burn doesn't really bother me.. but I recently just got over staff (MRSA) that started from a mat burn. I have decided that I'm going to do everything in my power to prevent it from happening again. It put me out for a month.. it was a very mild case.. but still.

I'm even thinking about wrestling shoes.. I don't want to miss any more training for stupid reasons.

Its funny that its taken me so long to think about this stuff.. but I just didn't really think mat burn was a problem until recently. Its just pain.. not that big of a deal. Heck I would have wrestled with my infection, if I couldn't give it to people. I'm pretty stubborn..

wiz cool c
04-29-2008, 11:05 PM
may I ask why you are looking to do this?

old injury acting up

wiz cool c
04-29-2008, 11:11 PM
I did some damage to my left knee ligements 5 years ago. I was tould I didn't need surgery but my knee will never be as strong as it was. I have been wearining a knee brace I bought in a store for the last five years no problem. A month ago after doing a long class I had a match and my knee buckled. it was scarry and reminded me that it is possible that in the future i might need surgery if I hurt it again.

Now I feel I need something stronger to help support my knee. I remember my Judo teacher back in the states. Told me an inner tube from a bike is the strongest. If anyone would know it would be a judo guy in his 60's who still competes.

Anyway I got a hold of his e-mail and he answerd the question thanks.

couch
04-30-2008, 05:16 AM
I did some damage to my left knee ligements 5 years ago. I was tould I didn't need surgery but my knee will never be as strong as it was. I have been wearining a knee brace I bought in a store for the last five years no problem. A month ago after doing a long class I had a match and my knee buckled. it was scarry and reminded me that it is possible that in the future i might need surgery if I hurt it again.

Now I feel I need something stronger to help support my knee. I remember my Judo teacher back in the states. Told me an inner tube from a bike is the strongest. If anyone would know it would be a judo guy in his 60's who still competes.

Anyway I got a hold of his e-mail and he answerd the question thanks.

Care to share what he said to you? I'm interested in this approach.

Best,
Kenton

wiz cool c
04-30-2008, 08:00 PM
this is what he told me (cut the tub then cut it length wise and that is all; wrap it tight around your knee in a figure "8". )