PDA

View Full Version : Movie character fantasy tournament

Chang Style Novice
05-07-2001, 09:50 PM
Here's how it works...set up a bracket of eight. People will vote on who will win each match. Winners progress until the finals. Winners will be determined by first to 5 votes, or most votes in 24 hours, whichever comes first.

Chang Style Novice
05-07-2001, 09:55 PM
Captain Kirk vs. Mr. Spock

Luke Skywalker vs. Wong Fei Hong (Once Upon a Time in China series)

Neo (the one) vs. Blade, vampire hunter

Kevin Chan (Police Story series) vs. Mad Max

Note: this is not about the actors skills, nor the skills of the historical personalities. It's about the characters in the movies.

Xebsball
05-07-2001, 10:11 PM
Mr. Spock
Wong Fei Hong
Neo
Kevin Chan

-------------------------
"Better have a chicken tomorrow than eggs today."

Chang Style Novice
05-07-2001, 10:14 PM
Mr. Spock, no question. He's got the nerve pinches and psychic powers, plus alien strength and ears that could put out an eye in a grappling situation.

Luke Skywalker. Tough call, but he doesn't need to see bullets to intercept them with his lightsaber. Wong Fei Hong's 176 flying kicks in one leap are dope, but Luke could use his telekinesis to just let him hang in the air like a pinata. Who wants candy?

Blade, vampire hunter. A nice pigsticker, plus his vampire powers make him immune to bullets.

Kevin Chan. Too easy. Kevin takes out multiple opponents with aplomb; Mad Max nearly got taken out by a retard wearing a midget on his head.

Radhnoti
05-08-2001, 07:50 AM
Kirk. The double handed neck strike has yet to fail him.
Luke. He's got blasters and lightsabers, Wong Fei Hong was blown away by a fork. :rolleyes:
Neo. He's got the whole "chosen" thing going on. And, really, Blade is just living in a computer simulation like the rest of us.
Mad Max. He doesn't have to follow any rules like the cop does. In addition, I understand he's a great-great-great-great-etc. grandson of William Wallace and that was a BAD man.
Chang, we only agreed on Skywalker...and that was no contest. I'd disagree now just on principal if I could think of a way to go about it. :D

-Radhnoti

HuangKaiVun
05-08-2001, 03:17 PM
Conan the Barbarian vs. Conan the Destroyer.

Emperor Palpatine vs. Yoda

Anakin Skywalker vs. Obi Wan Kenobi

Mr. Miyagi vs. Sato (Karate Kid II)

Chong Li vs. Tong Po (Bloodsport vs. Kickboxer)

Batman/Robin vs. Kato/Green Hornet - AGAIN.

Cord vs. The Blind Man (Circle of Iron)

Jackie Chan vs. Jet Li (real life)

Chang Style Novice
05-08-2001, 03:19 PM
Hey, whoah! Lets keep it to one match at a time, please!

Good matches, no doubt, but how we gonna keep track if there are two tourneys going on at once?

Fish of Fury
05-08-2001, 03:22 PM
kirk is the man
Wong Fei Hong...come on guys, he never even looks like losing (although luke does have that cool jedi robe)
Neo
Mad Max

_________________________ "I never drive faster than i can see...other than that...it's all in the reflexes" Jack Burton

Kiasyd
05-08-2001, 03:25 PM
1-) Mr. Spock: Kirk would let his emotions come up.

2-) Wong Fei Hong: I don't know, Luke is kinda wu$$, now if it where Darth Vader, Obi wan, Qui-Gon Jinn or Darth Maul, it would be another history.

3-) Neo: He's the one, for christ sake!

4-) Mad Max: He's bad. He would be crippled, without his dog and car, but he would win :D

Funny thread this one :)

-- Kiasyd

Chang Style Novice
05-08-2001, 03:35 PM
Score so far:

Spock leads Kirk 3-2

Wong Fei Hong leads Luke 3-2

Neo is whupping Blade 4-1 (What's wrong with you people? Neo's skills are all in his imagination!)

and Kevin Chan leads Mad Max 3-2

If no-one's reached 5 votes by noon, we should move on to the semis.

And Huang Kai Vun - since Conan logically can't fight himself, let me suggest you replace one of 'em with the Highlander dude or something.

JWTAYLOR
05-08-2001, 05:18 PM
First of all, Conan THE KING, would whip all of their a$.

But I digress.

Kirk, because Spock is far too defensive.

Wong Fei Hung, because he'd learn the Jedi skills as soon as he'd seen them once. And because Luke's a whinny b!tch.

And Blade. Neo only has his powers in the virtual realm, and Blade will kill is pasty white a$$ is the really real world. And Neo has to die before he seems to understand what's going on anyway. That trick only works once.
Mad Max. He doesn't know kung fu, but he knows crazy, and he'll use it. And he can find a weapon anywhere.

JWT

If you pr!ck us, do we not bleed? If you poison us, do we not die? And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge? If we are like you in the rest, we will resemble you in that the villany you teach me, I will execute, and it shall go hard but I will better the instruction. MOV

Kiasyd
05-08-2001, 09:59 PM
Sure, neo only knows how to fight in his mind, but blade lives inside the matrix! :p

-- Kiasyd

Design Sifu
05-09-2001, 02:04 AM
Kirk-- he would cheat if he had to.

Skywalker-- (assumeing we're talking about Return of the Jedi)Remember "Size does not matter look at me, Small I am but strong is the force in me . . ." or something to that effect. He could just exhaust WFH with his TK abilities, holding him in place, then when the time is right Nudge him into unconsciousness.

Neo-- in the matrix
Blade-- anywhere else
I guess we'll have to wait for their respective sequals. Until then I vote a tie!!!

Mad Max--- assuming Kevin Chan survives radiation poisioning, dehydration, sun burn . . . he would still hesitate killing. And then Lead pip to the N U T S :eek:

Chang Style Novice
05-09-2001, 03:47 AM
Okay, I guess that was enough time to pick winners for the first elimination round.

Kirk edges past his first officer, 4-3
Wong Fei Hong isn't falling for any Jedi mind tricks, defeating Luke Skywalker 5-2
Neo drives a stake through Blade's heart, 4-2
Mad Max bushwacks Kevin Chan 5-2

Semifinals

Captain James Tiberius Kirk vs. Shifu Wong Fei-Hong

and in the battle of the apocalyptic future saviors -

Thomas "Neo" Anderson vs. Officer "Mad" Max Rockatansk

Chang Style Novice
05-09-2001, 04:03 AM
Man, did I vote for a bunch of losers in the first round. Reminds me of the last election - I WUZ ROBBED!!! Uh, back on topic:

Kirk vs. Wong:

Here's how I see it going down if they're anywhere close to one another when the fight starts. Wong Fei-Hong throws a punch, Kirk falls to the ground unconsious. Here's how I see it going down if Kirk starts on the Bridge of the Enterprise "I can't level early 20th century China with a wide sweep orbital phaser blast! Transport Wong Fei Hong to the bridge." (see scenario one)

result: Wong Fei Hong wins

Neo vs. Mad Max: Here's the only reasonable way I see this fight happening:

Mad Max stmbles across an overfed, underdeveloped man in the desert. He appears to have eaten the wrong cactus... "I know kung fu, man! I can dodge bullets! Watch out for the Program Agents, they could be anyone! Listen to me!" He then grabs Mad Max's shoulder and never hallucinates anything again.

winner: Mad Max

In a tournament situation, rather than a 'street fight' things would be even more lopsided

Radhnoti
05-09-2001, 06:52 AM
Kirk vs. Wong

Wong walks up with intentions of crippling the good captain. Wong's "cousin" shoots him in the back. It seems Kirk's ability to charm ANY lady of ANY species applies to 20th century females as well...
Winner Kirk.

Neo vs. Mad Max

Much as I like Mel's character, I just don't see HOW he could beat Neo...assuming Neo's not some raving lunatic living in his delusions as Chang Style Novice suggests. So, Max fires his...what?...two or three shotgun shells at Neo. Neo dodges...or stops them in the air...then pulls out his H&K. Sadly, Max doesn't know the secret that there is no spoon.
Winner Neo.

-Radhnoti

Fish of Fury
05-09-2001, 08:32 AM
much as i like Kirk, it's gotta be Wong Fei Hong

Mad Max... i know it's probably not likely but he's just too cool. besides, a sawn off shotty beats anything (except BJJ LOL)

__________________________________________________ _________________________ "I never drive faster than i can see...other than that...it's all in the reflexes" Jack Burton

Kiasyd
05-09-2001, 07:10 PM
Fish of Fury: LOL I guess the winner here will never be a real winner since Rolls is the grand master of BJJ, training 24h a day in his mind! :p

back to the topic:

1-) Wong: Kirks punches and kicks are waaaaay too slow man... I think even I could defeat him! :D

2-) Neo: He IS the One, if the fight is in the matrix, he's a demi-god, at least... Now, if the fight is outside the Matrix, there is no point in fighting cuz he's sh|t.

-- Kiasyd

Design Sifu
05-09-2001, 09:06 PM
With the exception of a Phaser set for stun, even Kirk's luck wouldn't hold against someone who just whupped the last of the Jedi. The fight music wouldn't even get started by the time kirk hit the ground . . .Subdued, as Wong would of course be mersiful.

My Vote WONG

It could be that MAD MAX is living and a secondary sub-program of the matrix, in which case Neo wins. However MAD MAX's Austrailia could easily be on the other side of the same earth where the humans are being harvested. In which case MAD MAX would not only kick Neo's ass . . he'ld steel their ship!!!

My VOTE:

-----NEO

Radhnoti
05-09-2001, 10:47 PM
Why didn't I think of that Design Sifu?!? Doh! Too late to change my vote to Max I suppose...
Well done.

-Radhnoti

Design Sifu
05-14-2001, 11:52 PM
Let's Face it.

Mad Max vs. Wong F H

they meet in the desert,Max points shotgun, whush . . . hooked by Wong's umbrella and gone. Stunned Max lunges for a right hook . . WAP, PAP, KIK, SPLAT!

He's on the ground: the winner WONG!!!

WFH vs. Neo

Neo "I know Kungfu!!! There is no spoon!"

WFH "All is one with the Tao. I have Gung fu."

Neo might as well have taken the Blue pill. He may have ben the chosen one but WFH is a self made one.

Wong Fei Hung the winner.

was there any doubt!!!

Scott
05-15-2001, 05:05 AM
Kirk vs. WFH...

This really shouldn't even be a fight =P Kirk is chubby and slow and he really can't sing at all; and WFH is a Kung Fu master who never really even seems to get a scratch, even against the toughest of opponents...On the other hand, Kirk gets the crap beat out of him all the time

(Ps: How could Kirk ever beat Spock? Spock was like as strong as 3 or 4 people, and had psychic powers as well as the neck pinch!!)

Neo vs. Mad Max....

NEO. Inside the Matrix, of course he would win (how could he not? Three computers with perfect aim and fighting abilities armed with heavy weaponry couldn't even scratch him.) Lets remember that Neo's fighting abilities transfer to OUTSIDE the Matrix, as well; so even though he couldn't stop bullets or fly I have to say he'd still kick Mad Max's ass; they're both about equally good with guns anyway.

I know I'm going to get flak for that, but when Neo was strapped into the learning machine there is nothing that would suggest what he learned wouldn't transfer to real life (how could it not?)

-Scott

"Life is hard, but so am I." -- The Eels.

Design Sifu
05-16-2001, 09:58 PM
I could agree with that . . but how would sucha download transfer to his reflexes & musculature?

Neo's spent most of his floating in his own ****s & had to recieve hyper-acupuncture to be able to walk again.

MadMax has however survived a nuclear holocaust, regularly tests the limits of his endurance by breaking down in the middle of the desert. He's also gotten the S H I T beaten out him on a regular basis.

Neo would probably tire before he was able to Beat Max down And that's when Max would tug on some stray cable which would result in a ton of machinery falling down on Neo. it may not kill him, what with his enhanced reflexes . . . but it would be enought for max to then graba stay pipe and clAnk lights out for Neo.

In short Neo's weakness will always be a fundimental lack of survivial instinct outside the MATRIX.

Wong Fei Hung would still Beat either of them.

Next 8:

FIGHT CLUB'sTylor Durden vs.PULP FICTION's Bruce Willis

Batman vs.Black Mask

Enter the Dragon's Bruce Lee vs. Fist of Legend's Jet Li

Highlander vs.CrouchingTiger's Chow Yun Fat

Walker Texas Ranger vs. Kane, Kungfu the legend Continues

X-Men's Wolverine vs. UNBREAKABLE's David Dun/Bruce Willis

Rambo vs. Hard Boiled

CROUCHING TIGER's Micheal Yeoh vs. Charlie's Angles

okay . .. it's not all martial artists but what a slug-fest these would be!!!!

:D

[This message was edited by Design Sifu on 05-17-01 at 01:05 PM.]

Radhnoti
05-16-2001, 10:08 PM
Design Sifu...we should probably let Chang Style Novice close out this thread before starting another tourney. You could start another thread with those combatants, I'd love to post my opinions! heh
Whadda ya say C. S. N. ? Time for the finals?
Wong Fei Hong VS. ...who? I've not added it up.

-Radhnoti

Design Sifu
05-16-2001, 10:13 PM
From what I've noticed Wong Fei Hung would still beat either mad Max or Neo . . . Placing him as reigning Champion to face the champ of this next bout.

Still I'll post it as a new thred right now . . .

Chang Style Novice
05-17-2001, 03:26 PM
Whoops! I'd forgotten about this topic. Sorry y'all. I'll go and vote in Desing Sifu's bracket, although I'll have to pass on a few atches cause I haven't seen all those shows. For now though, I agree, it's definitely time to move on to the finals...

Wong Fei Hong shows Kirk technology isn't everything, winning 5-1.

Neo shows Mad Max you shouldn't underestimate the power of technology, winning 4-2.

Finals:

Shifu Wong Fei Hong vs. Neo

Radhnoti
05-17-2001, 04:38 PM
Neo wins...he flys way up, picks up...let's say a car, and drops it on Wong Fei Hong.
By the way, I'm not a big Neo fan but if we assume the "powers" of the characters are as the movies imply, I don't think ANYONE could beat Neo.

-Radhnoti

Design Sifu
05-17-2001, 11:37 PM
My Vote-----> Wong

He's already at one with the Tao dude, the wouldn't need a 12 year old in robs to tell him "There is no Spoon."

Instantly Wong would know the world around him was nothing but an illusion (especially considering he's NOT from the 20th/21st century) a thrown car, like a thrown fist would simply splash upon him like water upon a rock.
Woung would then take hold of NEO and attack him where he is most weakest . . .his sence of identiety. meditating is Something NEO has never done before and his ego structure would collapse in the face of the transendance only a master like Wong Fei Hung could achieve.

Neo would return to his body a wimpering vegitable. Wong Fei Hung would simply wake up in his own space/time believing he defeated some sort of Chinese Ghost, or munched on the wrong batch of medicinial mushrooms.

;)

Chang Style Novice
05-18-2001, 04:53 AM
That's right. There is no spoon! But more importantly, there is no Neo. My reading of "The Matrix" is that everything after the Red Pill is just a really cool drug trip for Thomas Anderson. Not much of anything that happens after that makes sense (humans being farmed for their body heat as an energy source? Those are some dumb, inefficient fascist robot kings!) Tom can't handle the stress of the real world and the ennui of his deadend job. He knows as much kung fu as your average guy who likes Jackie Chan movies but has never studied - think of Rolls as Neo, and it all makes sense.

Which is just a roundabout way of saying "Hey, Wong actually does know kung fu, so he wins.

Fish of Fury
05-19-2001, 12:47 PM
Wong will win (pardon the alliteration)

it'd go something like:
"there is no sp...(thwack thwack kerthump)...oh,bugger, i'm dead.i know...i'll just come back to li..(thwack kerUNCH thump thwack )"

__________________________________________________ _________________________ "I never drive faster than i can see...other than that...it's all in the reflexes" Jack Burton

Design Sifu
05-21-2001, 10:42 PM
:D :D :cool: :D :D

Now let's move this on to version 2 and find a foe worthy of WONG Fei HUNG!!! :p