PDA

View Full Version : The Official Food & Beer Thread*

Oso
04-27-2008, 03:04 PM
ok, I promised this a few weeks ago but haven't had the time to have some folks over for dinner till tonight.

Oso's Jerk Chicken Wing Sauce(tm)

(modified from original. T=Tablespoon, t=teaspoon)

3 C Texas Pete
2 Sticks Butter
2 T Allspice
2 T Garlic
1 t Thyme, leaves
1 t Thyme, ground
1 t Cinnamon
1 t Nutmeg
1 t Clove, ground
2 thumb sized habanero peppers

melt butter, add to Texas Pete
mince peppers and add ( I like a medium heat, add more or use scotch bonnets if you like it hotter)
wisk in the rest of the ingredients
let it stand for an hour or more

I use canola oil to fry the wings in on a gas range and then bathe in the sauce before serving.

tonight menu is starting with a table red that sounded good w/ some aged gouda and wheat crackers.

then, fresh veggies sliced for snacking and dipping along with the wings:
carrots, broccoli, sweet potato, green/red/yellow peppers

We'll drinking from a sampler pack of Clipper City Brewing's beers:

http://www.ccbeer.com/

*cuz I sez so, I'll be posting all my food and beer topics here, you should too.

Vash
04-27-2008, 03:41 PM
1 Can - 12-15oz - Bush Baked Beans

5oz - Corn

5oz - mixed chopped tomatoes, green peppers, sauted onions

1 teaspoon - Pa's homemade Hot sauce (I seriously have no idea what goes in it. So, substitute a good quality store-bought. Not tobasco, though)

Big-Ass boneless sirloin

--------------------------

Prepare the beans and vegetable mix separately, before the steak. Mix together, plaec in glass bowl, covered in foil. Cook sirloin over open flame, until done to taste.

Cover steak in veggie/bean mix, enjoy.

-----------------------

I'm not a beer guy, so I have a nice big glass of Sierra Mist Free.

Oso
04-27-2008, 07:27 PM
the above recipe is very strong in spices, it was the first time I tried to do it by measuring...the result was a very strong and moderately spicy wing sauce that everyone enjoyed, including a professional chef, but I found a bit heavy.

I would suggest 1/2 to 3/4 of the spices to the same volume of liquid if you are not a big fan of heavy spicing.

the beer was good, I like most of CC's beers I've had.

Vash: so, you don't drink the beer but drink some hi test sugar sub that is probably going to be found to cause cancer?

not diggin at you, I just really have a problem with all the sugar subs...something is bound to be wrong with a molecule that is so sweet you only need 1/600th of it to equal the same sweetness as normal sugar...but, that's not scientifically founded...oh, wait...sacharine... ;)

Yao Sing
04-27-2008, 07:49 PM
Soon as Ronin gets here it will be the Official Food, Beer & Babes Thread. :D

Chosen-frozen
04-28-2008, 12:29 AM
Asian Lime Ribs (I don`t know what they mean by asian, but they`re mighty tasty)

2 racks of ribs 2 Tbsp Cinnamon
1 Tbsp Kosher salt 1 Tbsp black Pepper
1 Tbsp Ground Cloves 1 Tbsp Corriander

Mix the spices well, rub onto the ribs and let chill for at least one hour.

Put a wire rack in a lage cake pan or jellyroll pan and cover with foil. You`ll be glrilling these later, you don`t want `em to dry out. So seal the foil around the edge of the pan, you want they to sort of steam in thier own juices. The wire rack is to keep the from sitting in those juices and washing the rub off.
Bake at about 300F for 40 min.

While they`re steaming, make the sauce.

3 Tbsp chopped ginger 2 Tbsp chopped garlic
3/4 cup Rice vinegar 1/2 cup Soy Sauce
1/2cup ketchup 1/2 cup cilantro chopped
1/3 cup lime juice 1/3 cup brownsugar
1/4 hoisin sauce 2 Tbsp sesamee oil
1 Tbsp red pepper flakes

Just mix it all well. Move the ribs to the grill and cook over a low fire. Slather on the sauce turning a couple timesto get a nice glazed look. Serve with extra sauce on the side for dipping.

I don`t drink......but I`d kill you all for a big plate of these babies.

Oso
04-28-2008, 03:59 AM
Soon as Ronin gets here it will be the Official Food, Beer & Babes Thread. :D

that'll be fine, the only reason man cooks is to attract women, they can't resist a man who cooks well.

yu shan
04-28-2008, 07:39 AM
Hey Oso

Does this Clipper City Brew taste as good as it looks? It is Monday morning at my desk and I got spit running down my face looking at the website. I`ll check with my distributor here to see if I can get my hands on one or two...

Nice wing recipe... wow two sticks of butter. I have to watch my cholesterol, and this recipe is the one two punch for sure, chicken wings and butter! It has to be tasty though.

Favor: Can you put your meat marinade back up, I lost my copy.

bodhitree
04-28-2008, 09:49 AM
I work in a library at a school that has a culinary arts training program. We have many many recipe websites cataloged, I will share them whenever I get a moment to do so.....

We also have a ton of cookbooks from around the world! Working here makes me hungry.

SPJ
04-28-2008, 10:56 AM
I like my meat raw.

I mean sushi.

however, it is very tedious to prepare without getting food poisoning.

so I leave them to sushi chef at the restaurant.

they are kind of expensive in the states.

and that limit my visits.

I may find cheap price in Taiwan, those were the days.

--

:D

GeneChing
04-28-2008, 04:18 PM
You can't make real authentic jerk with habanero peppers. You just can't. You have to use scotch bonnet peppers for jerk. Oso's jerk is some kind of Texan wushu jerk, not real jerk. It lacks true killing power. :p

SPJ
04-28-2008, 06:12 PM
I spent sometime in the deep south.

they have half shelf raw oyster with the beer.

I was in heaven.

there are also jazz music in the city of new orlean.

who could ask for more.

oops.

yes the view of the river of mississippi.

--

I like to taste the real flavor of things. not a big fan or any kind of "sauces".

--

:D

David Jamieson
04-28-2008, 06:25 PM
You can't make real authentic jerk with habanero peppers. You just can't. You have to use scotch bonnet peppers for jerk. Oso's jerk is some kind of Texan wushu jerk, not real jerk. It lacks true killing power. :p

qft.

scotch bonnets are the true anus washer.

Oso
04-28-2008, 06:40 PM
Yes, the Clipper City is pretty good stuff, I even like their hoppy stuff and usually I hate more hops than it takes to cut the sweet so it's not sticky.

Oso's Steak Marinade(tm)

2 parts Guiness Draft Can ( the Export stout is too bitter)
1 Part Olive oil

the rest is to taste:

Worcestershire
Garlic
Salt
Pepper

Ribeye's are my fav but I did some NY Strip recently as a request and they were ok.

12 hour minimum on the soak, if you decide sunday morning that you just have to have this on the grill sunday night, add 2 shots of Beam to hasten the cure.

Oso
04-28-2008, 06:46 PM
I work in a library at a school that has a culinary arts training program. We have many many recipe websites cataloged, I will share them whenever I get a moment to do so.....

We also have a ton of cookbooks from around the world! Working here makes me hungry.

new rule: you must have actually at least TRIED to cook anything you post.

it doesn't matter if you succeed at it, you just have to try. ;)

Oso
04-28-2008, 06:50 PM

you're absolutely right...but I tried at two different healthy/gourmet stores and the best they had were the habaneros. they added as much heat as I wanted personally...so feel free to substitute some scotch bonnets as you wish.

I was at a customer's house a week or so ago and they had some scotch bonnet's growing in a greenhouse...I should be able to snag some from them or even get a whole plant the next time I'm there.

Becca
04-28-2008, 08:16 PM
that'll be fine, the only reason man cooks is to attract women, they can't resist a man who cooks well.True. My second husband was a womanizing tool, but he could really cook.

Wild Game Soft Tacos
2 lbs of wild game, ground twice (I like sheep best, but it's even good with antalope)
sour cream
shreaded chedar (sharp works best with wild game)
Pace Picante sauce (hot or mild, your choice)
1 T garlic salt
1/4 t cardamom
1 t paprika
1/2 t red peper
corn or flour torillas. (I like it with corn, but once, again, your choice)
1 highball liccore of your choice

Take out frying pan. Take a sip of your drink. Brown the meat with all spices, taking sips of your drink as nessisary. No need to drain off the fat, wild game is actually very lean. Pre-heat tortillas in microwave, about 30 seconds for an average pack of 10. Place a tortilla on a plate, take another sip. Place approximatly 1/2 cup of the meat mixture in a line on one side of the tortilla, then add a smear or sour cream. Finish the drink. if nessisary, get another to finish. Add picante and cheese to taste. Attempt to roll into a burrito shape if you can or just fold it. How many it serve depends on your interpritation of "a half cup of meat." (Usually makes enough for 10) Since this is a Food and beer thread, enjoy your wild game soft taco with a brew of your choice.

GeneChing
04-29-2008, 09:35 AM
...is they have to be fresh. We actually have a grocery store that imports scotch bonnets nearby. But it's dried scotch bonnets which aren't nearly as good. In my experience, fresh scotch bonnets burn hot but clean. For a moment, they are like eating hellfire, but it subsides quickly and in typical masochistic pepper eating fashion, you can hardly wait to get another bite. I've found that freshness is key with all peppers. It's when they get preserved that they tend to get the lingering burn, especially the day after burn (yowch!) But freshness is key in any ingredient, yes? That's why I often find eating abroad much more flavorful, especially in countries like China or India where there is less available refrigeration.

OK, truth be told, I can't cook at all. I just wanted to chime in on jerk. I'll leave you all now to discuss more beer and food.

GunnedDownAtrocity
04-29-2008, 03:27 PM
2 simple liftin-man's meals:

tuna + egg

cant get much easier ... i'm surprised i hadn't actually thought of it before a buddy suggested it. just mix the two togeather and scramble in a pan. its good with some cheese melted in as well ... any kind. also makes for tasty sammich.

mashed potato and onion omlette

this is another one that sounds odd, but has quickly become one of my favorite breakfasts. after the onions are cooked down i add the mashed potatoes to the frying pan just long enough to get hot. also works well with mushrooms and peppers.

GunnedDownAtrocity
04-29-2008, 03:44 PM
oso ... i been meaning to respond to your last beer thread but i've been too busy with finals, work, family, lifting, drinking.

I hate to be snobbish but most of those you listed are just not so great.

I do like Negro Modello though and the Guinness in the can is better than the export stout.

i freely admit your superiority as the more acclaimed beer connaisseur, but i gotta dissagree with you here. i do not see how negro modello is the better beer of sierra nevada stout. i like negro modello mind you, but i stand behind my mention of not only sierra nevada stout, but sierra nevada esb. both very dark and rich beers - much more so than negro modello anyway. i also disagree with guinness draft being better than the bottled extra stout. i know i need to join a beer club and get some real beers, but comparitively speaking i still think the stouts mentioned above are the better beers.

i also recently discovered sammie smith which i really like. they were out of the oatmeal stout, but the tady porter was very tasty.

also ... very few people would appreciate this, but a buddy's buddy just bought an entire case of dogfish head ipa 120 for right around $160. gone in just two nights.

Oso
04-29-2008, 07:35 PM
2 simple liftin-man's meals:

tuna + egg

cant get much easier ... i'm surprised i hadn't actually thought of it before a buddy suggested it. just mix the two togeather and scramble in a pan. its good with some cheese melted in as well ... any kind. also makes for tasty sammich.

uggh...I like eggs and I like tuna but fish and eggs would make me puke

I did have 6 eggs for breakfast last saturday...just the eggs in a nonstick with some chili oil, garlic and black pepper and then topped it with some Valentina's sauce...that's some cheap, only mildly hot but tasty mexican sauce.

mashed potato and onion omlette

this is another one that sounds odd, but has quickly become one of my favorite breakfasts. after the onions are cooked down i add the mashed potatoes to the frying pan just long enough to get hot. also works well with mushrooms and peppers.

dude, them's jus' tater cakes...nothing to see here, that's what we always do wit leftover taters.

oso ... i been meaning to respond to your last beer thread but i've been too busy with finals, work, family, lifting, drinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oso
I hate to be snobbish but most of those you listed are just not so great.

I do like Negro Modello though and the Guinness in the can is better than the export stout.

i freely admit your superiority as the more acclaimed beer connaisseur, but i gotta dissagree with you here. i do not see how negro modello is the better beer of sierra nevada stout.

it's too hoppy for moi {sniff}

i like negro modello mind you, but i stand behind my mention of not only sierra nevada stout, but sierra nevada esb. both very dark and rich beers - much more so than negro modello anyway.

but all the sierra nevada's all just so 1990's

i also disagree with guinness draft being better than the bottled extra stout. i know i need to join a beer club and get some real beers, but comparitively speaking i still think the stouts mentioned above are the better beers.

not much beats guinness in the cream stout category. the export or extra stout is not what was originally drunk/drank/drunk in ireland...it was weaker like the stuff in the can and how you usually get it out of the keg.

also, I just noticed that the guiness in the can is only 125 calories per 12 oz. that's only a tad more than Bud Light. It's practically a diet stout!

i also recently discovered sammie smith which i really like. they were out of the oatmeal stout, but the tady porter was very tasty.

now, there you have drunk the correct under the table and called it a cab!

the taddy porter is good stuff as is the oatmeal stout if you want something a bit chewier in your beer

also ... very few people would appreciate this, but a buddy's buddy just bought an entire case of dogfish head ipa 120 for right around $160. gone in just two nights.

heh, the 120 will smack your momma for ya, still too hoppy for me though.

Oso
04-29-2008, 07:39 PM
True. My second husband was a womanizing tool, but he could really cook.

sorry about that, better luck on the 3rd :)

Wild Game Soft Tacos
2 lbs of wild game, ground twice (I like sheep best, but it's even good with antalope)

I like sheep too, never had an antelope...got a phone number?
[ba dum dum, crash! I'll be here all week lagies and germs....]

sour cream
shreaded chedar (sharp works best with wild game)
Pace Picante sauce (hot or mild, your choice)
1 T garlic salt
1/4 t cardamom
1 t paprika
1/2 t red peper
corn or flour torillas. (I like it with corn, but once, again, your choice)
1 highball liccore of your choice

Take out frying pan. Take a sip of your drink. Brown the meat with all spices, taking sips of your drink as nessisary. No need to drain off the fat, wild game is actually very lean. Pre-heat tortillas in microwave, about 30 seconds for an average pack of 10. Place a tortilla on a plate, take another sip. Place approximatly 1/2 cup of the meat mixture in a line on one side of the tortilla, then add a smear or sour cream. Finish the drink. if nessisary, get another to finish. Add picante and cheese to taste. Attempt to roll into a burrito shape if you can or just fold it. How many it serve depends on your interpritation of "a half cup of meat." (Usually makes enough for 10) Since this is a Food and beer thread, enjoy your wild game soft taco with a brew of your choice.

spoken like a true gourmand!

GunnedDownAtrocity
04-29-2008, 09:14 PM
dude, them's jus' tater cakes...nothing to see here, that's what we always do wit leftover taters.

heh, the 120 will smack your momma for ya, still too hoppy for me though.

see i need to learn exactly what hoppy means so i can evolve beyond the guy who generically claims to like dark beers. i understand the hops have to do with the brewing process, and i understand alot goes into the 120 ipa, but i need to get a better handle on it all. i need to get serious and take this to the next level. i have a feeling that our differences of taste will lie in the fact that i like hoppy beers though.

as for sierra being 90s that just shows you what i've been living with man. there arent any good beer stores within a half hour or so drive into PA. until recently the only "dark beer" one could find was amber bock. imports were limited to guinness, heinekan, and corona (if corona is considered an import). krogers just started carrying all of this stuff in the past year or two, so i've been havin a blast going through it all. i know i need to get online, but i never wind up going through he trouble. i think that will change this summer.

unfortunately i didnt get to try the 120 ipa ... my buddy brags though. he brags. and i cry on the inside.

.... also ... taker cakes. sweet they have a name. i just thought it sounded yummy one morning.

Oso
04-30-2008, 03:49 AM
basically, and don't quote me on this literally, older beers were mostly malt concoctions, strong in alcohol and very little bite to the tongue.

hops have been used to add flavor and, in the case of IPA's, to increase the un-refrigerated shelf like prior to pasteurization so that the brit's in her majesty's far flung kingdom of the 19th century could have their beer ration.

when they got home from thier tour, they wanted their beer to taste like they've been drinking it for the last couple of years. so, hops became more of a mainstay.

hops add a level of bitterness I don't like in mah beer. just enough to cut the edge of sweetness so I don't think I'm drinking syrup.

my girl likes hoppy beers, there are very few we agree on and I haven't kicked her out yet ;)

if you're taste is trending towards ipa's you probably won't find one better than the 120. If they brew another batch, I'll try to grab an Imperial IPA from the same company that I sent you the Tasgall. It was an IPA I actually liked.

yea, man, tater cakes...you could add protein powder if you wanted. or just some scrambled up sausage...or if you're still feeling healthy, the Morningstar Farms Sausage Patty is pretty tasty but soy.

yu shan
04-30-2008, 07:47 AM
"them jus tater cakes" spoken like a true mountain man! I had an old man buddy I hung out with for many years, the stories our seniors have are incredible. Anyway, he use to save up his leftovers and cooked `em all up at the end of the week, he called this "last of the garden".

Unfortunatly I have to watch my cholesterol these days... that means egg intake is limited. My lady is from Puerto Rico, we have eggs over easy layed on a bed of steaming jasmine rice, mix up and enjoy. This includes cuban bread and coffee.

Oso, I have seen your lovely lady... best hold on to that one, that gorgeous and a likes to fight girl, epic!

When I get a chance, I`ll share my wifes pork roast attempt. I should stop reading this thread until Friday so I can drink a dang beer...

GunnedDownAtrocity
04-30-2008, 11:29 AM
older beers were mostly malt concoctions, strong in alcohol and very little bite to the tongue. hops have been used to add flavor and, in the case of IPA's, to increase the un-refrigerated shelf like prior to pasteurization so that the brit's in her majesty's far flung kingdom of the 19th century could have their beer ration ...

if you're taste is trending towards ipa's you probably won't find one better than the 120. If they brew another batch, I'll try to grab an Imperial IPA from the same company that I sent you the Tasgall. It was an IPA I actually liked.

yea, man, tater cakes...you could add protein powder if you wanted. or just some scrambled up sausage...or if you're still feeling healthy, the Morningstar Farms Sausage Patty is pretty tasty but soy.

see .... why dont they teach this **** in school. we'd all be better people for it no doubt. (actually one of the professors at the college im going to is obsessed with the japanese beer industry. im going to try to sign up for his class for one of my core requirements for that very reason).

let me know if you do man ... ill cover everything. im also checking out that beer site now. http://www.ratebeer.com/MailOrder.asp

i like how you say, "if you're still feeling healthy." as if when we look at our omellette conconctions we say "well that dont look like it'll give me a heart attack ... what else can i add." ok .... i do say that.

GunnedDownAtrocity
04-30-2008, 11:46 AM
sorry to hijack this thread, but do you know of any online sights vs call and order?

i found this one: http://www.liquidsolutions.biz/main/

lemmon pepper tillapia

take some fresh garlic, paprika, and lemmon pepper seasoning and fry up with a little butter and extra virgin olive oil.

pour half over some aluminum foil and place the tillappia (pre salted, peppered, and paprikaed) on top of it and then pour the other half over top. close er up and throw in the oven. i usually do about 375 for a half hour or longer - i overcook my fish though. paranoid.

i wish i could me more specific about amounts of seasoning and what not, but i just kinda throw it togeather.

Oso
04-30-2008, 07:10 PM
"them jus tater cakes" spoken like a true mountain man! I had an old man buddy I hung out with for many years, the stories our seniors have are incredible. Anyway, he use to save up his leftovers and cooked `em all up at the end of the week, he called this "last of the garden".

lol, I call that Defcon 3, Defcon 1 and I eat the pets

Unfortunatly I have to watch my cholesterol these days... that means egg intake is limited.

I think the opinion is changing a little bit on eggs

My lady is from Puerto Rico, we have eggs over easy layed on a bed of steaming jasmine rice, mix up and enjoy. This includes cuban bread and coffee.

can you say West Tampa Sandwich Shop? or was it east? I still liked the feta and sausage omelette you can get at the place on Dale Mabry...what was the name? something momma?

Oso, I have seen your lovely lady... best hold on to that one, that gorgeous and a likes to fight girl, epic!

i'm doing my best

When I get a chance, I`ll share my wifes pork roast attempt. I should stop reading this thread until Friday so I can drink a dang beer...

you wait till friday to drink a beer?

Oso
04-30-2008, 07:16 PM
see .... why dont they teach this **** in school. we'd all be better people for it no doubt.

amen...but actually, I think pot is the universal unifier, not alcohol...but that's another thread...

(actually one of the professors at the college im going to is obsessed with the japanese beer industry. im going to try to sign up for his class for one of my core requirements for that very reason).

let me know if you do man ... ill cover everything. im also checking out that beer site now. http://www.ratebeer.com/MailOrder.asp

as it happens, our new beer store is hosting a tasting tomorrow night featuring

http://www.highlandbrewing.com/

remember folks, the owner, Oscar Wong, trained under Shifu Brendan Lai in SF a long time ago...so, there's our kung fu connection :)

and they are supposed to have some of the Imperial IPA.

i like how you say, "if you're still feeling healthy." as if when we look at our omellette conconctions we say "well that dont look like it'll give me a heart attack ... what else can i add." ok .... i do say that.

lol, when I made myself 6 eggs the other day for breakfast (keep in mind it was just the eggs, no bacon, no bread)...I just kept adding hot **** to it rationalizing that the spices would burn the bad stuff away....

yu shan
04-30-2008, 07:29 PM
Wait till Friday to drink a beer! You believe that and you will believe anything! Pretty much I read KFO at work in the am, all this talk about beers and food makes me crazy. Err, keep em coming. LOL, the hot sh*t burning the bad stuff away, sounds logical to me.

Oso
04-30-2008, 07:40 PM
sorry to hijack this thread, but do you know of any online sights vs call and order?

i found this one: http://www.liquidsolutions.biz/main/

that one looks cool..there are some I'd like to try like the Old Knucklehead #12...but, I'll probably not and just request it at my local retailer

http://bruisin-ales.com/index.php

I know you can't but "Drink Local"

you might see if there is a brewer's supply store around and if they can put you in touch with some people who are brewing in their basement...most home brewer's are only too happy to share with admirers

lemmon pepper tillapia

take some fresh garlic, paprika, and lemmon pepper seasoning and fry up with a little butter and extra virgin olive oil.

pour half over some aluminum foil and place the tillappia (pre salted, peppered, and paprikaed) on top of it and then pour the other half over top. close er up and throw in the oven. i usually do about 375 for a half hour or longer - i overcook my fish though. paranoid.

i wish i could me more specific about amounts of seasoning and what not, but i just kinda throw it togeather.

Oso's Ginger Salmon

1 Slab o' Salmon
Butter
Olive oil
Garlic
Pepper
Salt

the above can be whatever you have on hand but definitely get fresh ginger and slice it up thinnish and lay it over the salmon along with thinly sliced lemon

wrap that shiat up in some foil, throw it on the grille for a half hour or so and then throw it on a plate with some wild rice blend and some asparagus

the wimmen's, they be taking thier clothes off very soon after this and a nice red wine

oh, the best way to cook asparagus:

fresh, young and tender (is there any other?) asparagus
i usually cut a good portion of the stalk away so I've just got the best part
lay it out on a cookie sheet, drizzle some olive oil on it liberally
some salt and pepper
cook at 400 for 10-12

Oso
04-30-2008, 07:42 PM
Wait till Friday to drink a beer! You believe that and you will believe anything! Pretty much I read KFO at work in the am, all this talk about beers and food makes me crazy. Err, keep em coming. LOL, the hot sh*t burning the bad stuff away, sounds logical to me.

ok, i thought I misinterpretted that...I was like 'huh? Jim not drink during the week????'

alright, i'm out...these 10 hour days are killing me

GunnedDownAtrocity
04-30-2008, 08:39 PM
i was trying to wait until saturday, but im sippin on a sammie smith taddy porter as i type.

TenTigers
04-30-2008, 08:44 PM
slight hijack-sorta...
years ago, The Bayou-the best and oldest Cajun Resterant on Long Island,(from which sprang Big Daddy's, Rattlesnake Jones,Gumbo Alley, and Nawlins) had a small paperbound cookbook written by the head chef, Jean Pierre, called,"Voodoo in the Kitchen." This 25 page booklet had their most legendary recipies, including,their Bayou seasoning, Gumbo, Sweet Loretta Shrimp, Steak from Hell,Ettoufee,jambalaya, and others. If anyone has a copy of this, could you please xerox a copy for me? It's no longer available, and my ex swears she's never seen it. (yeah, right):(

Oso
05-01-2008, 03:53 AM
I'm still working on the Cutter City stuff we bought this weekend.

TT: not a hijack at all...anything food or beer.

sounds like an awesome cookbook. there has to be an online community somewhere to hunt for it or request a copy.

yu shan
05-01-2008, 06:35 AM
I cant give this a whole lot of time but here goes:

Boston Butt Pork Roast (size up to your appetite)
Remove skin & fat (for the daring, you can fry or bake the skin, good with beers)
Poke deep holes in the meat
You will need these: adobo, sazon, sofrito
Rub all of these all over the roast and into the holes. Also shove garlic gloves into the holes, many as you can stand.
Note: Sofrito, there are many types, my wife makes her own.
Sofrito contains:onions,garlic,oregano,green peppers,recao,cilantro,ajicitos (peppers) combine in food processor.
Cut up thick slices of vidalia onions (my addition)
You will need a cooking bag (not a friggen crockpot)
Place the onions in bag as sort of a bed for the roast to sit on.
Lay the seasoned roast on the onions. Add some moisture to inside of bag, seal up cooking bag.
Moisture= BEER or chicken broth.
Cook at 425 for 1.5 hours, I prefer to cook slower for longer JMO. But wife cooks at 425.
My fun twist is, fire up your grill and get her good and hot. When the roast is done, remove the roast from the cooking bag and place on your hot grill. Not for long though, just enough to put a nice crisp outside and only turn once. This is quick.
We have our roast with of course rice and usually black beans cooked on the side. There are many sides my wife makes, I will come back to these later.
Note, the aroma that will fill your home while this roast cooks in outragious.
Another thing, have good cold beer on hand!

TaiChiBob
05-01-2008, 06:45 AM
Greetings..

Worship HERE daily!!

http://beeradvocate.com/

Check-out the "Tastings and reviews"..

Be well..

Becca
05-01-2008, 06:52 AM
Oso's Ginger Salmon

1 Slab o' Salmon
Butter
Olive oil
Garlic
Pepper
Salt

the above can be whatever you have on hand but definitely get fresh ginger and slice it up thinnish and lay it over the salmon along with thinly sliced lemon

wrap that shiat up in some foil, throw it on the grille for a half hour or so and then throw it on a plate with some wild rice blend and some asparagus

Oooo! that sounds good! *metally adds salmon to shopping list.

bodhitree
05-01-2008, 07:15 AM
new rule: you must have actually at least TRIED to cook anything you post.

it doesn't matter if you succeed at it, you just have to try. ;)

Okay you god **** nazi

bodhitree
05-01-2008, 07:19 AM
Shredded Cheese (as desired)
Fresh Avocado
Spinach
Ground Turkey
Corn (removed from cobb)
Salsa (I use generic, and it's really good)
Rice (your choice)
Whole Wheat Tortillas

Cook up the turkey, spinach, corn together and add the salsa towards the end. Have your rice already cooked.

Warm tortillas (preferrably in oven, microwave okay). Add rice and smach some of the avocado into it. Add turkey, salsa, ect....

Enjoy!:D

GunnedDownAtrocity
05-01-2008, 10:42 AM
Fresh Avocado
Spinach
Ground Turkey
Corn (removed from cobb)
Rice (your choice)
Whole Wheat Tortillas

Cook up the turkey, spinach, corn together and add the salsa towards the end. Have your rice already cooked.

Warm tortillas (preferrably in oven, microwave okay). Add rice and smach some of the avocado into it. Add turkey, salsa, ect....

you eve tried pre-grilling the corn and then putting it in a little later? im gonna try that this weekend i think. my last final is tomorrow and ill finally have time to try things like this for a fewmonths.

bodhitree
05-01-2008, 11:54 AM
you eve tried pre-grilling the corn and then putting it in a little later? im gonna try that this weekend i think. my last final is tomorrow and ill finally have time to try things like this for a fewmonths.

grilling the corn is a great idea, that will definately improve the flavor!!!

GunnedDownAtrocity
05-01-2008, 02:04 PM
grilling the corn is a great idea, that will definately improve the flavor!!!

i actually went to krogers before work and got what i needed. after this im gonna try oso's wing recipe.

TenTigers
05-01-2008, 03:54 PM
ok, ya got me thinkin..
for all you grillers out there, it's high time to fire up that badboy-don'cha wanna be the first guy on the block whose backyard wafts bbq smoke into the neighborhood? You know the feeling. ok anyway check this out-

Lime grilled pork chops-real freakin easy and real freakin delicious

grab some pork chops,about 3/4 inch thick or so
marinate in fresh squeezed lime juice-you'll need a lot of limes for this, cause you gotta cover the chops with lime juice-and fresh cracked (not ground!) peppercorns
let it sit for an hour or more-overnight would be amazing
throw'em on the grill and cook until just medium-not pink of course, but not well-done (if you like pork chops well done, dried out and hard,don't even bother with this. heck-don't even bother cooking)

that's it.
crack open some caronas, throw some guac out there and chips, and the side dish of your choice. enjoy. The chops come out moist, juicy and tangy, and is great on those summer nights with friends.
Afterwards, Fonseca triangulars and tawny port.

Here's a great easy salmon dish-for the oven
slather the salmon with a sauce made from butter, lemon and mayonnaise.
you will have to experiment as to how much-some like it rich (more mayo) some not.
Bake as you would normally-again, do not overcook. Salmon is too good a fish to overcook and have dry and flaky. If you cook it just a bit more than sashimi, so it's not raw, of course, but still moist and meaty.

*the writer assumes no risk for you being stupid enough to eat undercooked pork or fish and end up exploding from both ends and dying a slow, yet meaningful death.

Oso
05-01-2008, 04:47 PM
I cant give this a whole lot of time but here goes:

Boston Butt Pork Roast (size up to your appetite)

{snip}

Note, the aroma that will fill your home while this roast cooks in outragious.
Another thing, have good cold beer on hand!

DUDE! that sounds amazing! Tell the lady I'm gonna try it sometime soon.

Oso
05-01-2008, 05:03 PM
ok, ya got me thinkin..
for all you grillers out there, it's high time to fire up that badboy-don'cha wanna be the first guy on the block whose backyard wafts bbq smoke into the neighborhood? You know the feeling. ok anyway check this out-.

who stops grilling out in the winter?

i'll grille year round, granted, less in the winter but usually a couple times a month.

that recipe sounds awesome as well.

GunnedDownAtrocity
05-01-2008, 09:29 PM
who stops grilling out in the winter?

i'll grille year round, granted, less in the winter but usually a couple times a month.

that recipe sounds awesome as well.

i love being that mother****er the neighbors hate for filling the neighborhood with the sent of beer soaked steaks when its 10 below 0.

Becca
05-01-2008, 09:38 PM
Nothing beats pork grilled on an open flame in December. I just don't like pork stake or chops cooked any other way...

GunnedDownAtrocity
05-02-2008, 04:24 AM
oh i got a question that couldnt be more on topic.

what beers do you guys use to soak what meets in?

for steaks i found killians to work the best out of anything i tried, but to be honest i haven't done too much experimenting after i found killians to work (initially tried budweiser and a few other cheaper beers, and it wasn't bad, but killians definately added flavor). i was thinking about trying red stripe since i liked killians on it.

so what works best for beef, chicken, ribs, etc? wine recommendations good to.

TaiChiBob
05-02-2008, 06:36 AM
Greetings..

Hi GDA: Check-out the "tastings and reviews" tab on the left side of the page at:
http://beeradvocate.com/
Many of the members will ship you some of the finest brews on the planet.. wicked good with 10-15% alcohol by volume (abv).. even the steaks get loopy when marinated in these brews.. but, personally, they are just too good.. i'll knock back a brew while i watch the steak sizzle in Killians..

Be well..

GunnedDownAtrocity
05-02-2008, 06:59 AM
i was on that site yesterday too ... thanks though man. im glad to hear its a good site. respect the beer!

GunnedDownAtrocity
05-02-2008, 07:01 AM
some steak questions ... i just got two decent cuts and my plan was to use tenderizer and beat the **** out of them - let them sit for about 12 hours - soak in beer for another 12 - 24 hours - then grill.

do i need to beat my meat at all, and if so is letting them sit before soaking in beer an uncecessary step? also - if i use a darker beer to soak them in, is there anything i can use to sweeten it so the girls like it better?

sanjuro_ronin
05-02-2008, 07:02 AM
some steak questions ... i just got two decent cuts and my plan was to use tenderizer and beat the **** out of them - let them sit for about 12 hours - soak in beer for another 12 - 24 hours - then grill.

do i need to beat my meat at all, and if so is letting them sit before soaking in beer an uncecessary step? also - if i use a darker beer to soak them in, is there anything i can use to sweeten it so the girls like it better?

LOL @ "beat my meat " !!!

Dude, tie it to a wooden post and you have a real makiwara !!

GunnedDownAtrocity
05-02-2008, 07:18 AM
LOL @ "beat my meat " !!!

Dude, tie it to a wooden post and you have a real makiwara !!

dude ... i dont want to tie my meat to a wooden post.

ok ... maybe i do.

yu shan
05-02-2008, 12:25 PM
Oso, the roast does take a little work but that is half the friggen fun, ya know during the process cold Bud products are being consumed. I can see you shaking your head in disgust about my choice of brew. That stuff you drink knocks my pee pee in the dirt.

Yeppur, I grill all winter, unless it is down below 20. My grill just cannot compete with that kind of cold. Plus it is not fun standing out in the cold. I use a gas grill, anybody add wood and what kind?

This is embarrassing, but I have never marinated steaks in beer, really helps huh.

I got porkchops for the grill this evening, marinated in lime, garlic and adobo...overnight. With some raw veggies and yams.

...if the weather friggen holds out.

GunnedDownAtrocity
05-02-2008, 02:06 PM
This is embarrassing, but I have never marinated steaks in beer, really helps huh.

personal preference man. my next door neighbor is an avid beer drinker (58 year old guy with a kegorator + a stocked beer fridge in his basement) and grills some of the best meat i've ever had. he doesnt see the point in using beer on meats at all. i was just talking to him about that today actually ... traded him a sierra nevada summerfest beer (dont like it btw) for a killians to do the steaks ... he said hed rather drink his beer while the steaks are grilling. id recommend at least trying it, but its definately not a requirement for good grillin.

yu shan
05-02-2008, 04:19 PM
GDA, no worries, I`m always looking for tips on cooking on the grill, I appreciate your killians beer marinade and will try it soon.

I use to enjoy feasting on steaks a lot more in the past, but the prices are crazy now. Sometimes when I get a hankering for a steak I`ll just get a nice thick well marbled roast and cook it on the grill. Great beef taste and tender as F, cost me mucho less.

Some of these Tenn. locals use cokecola as a marinade. I tried it and it is interesting, softens up the cut but sort of adds a sweet taste to the meat, go figure. Anybody else ever use coke for a marinade? (the pop)

Oso
05-02-2008, 07:00 PM
the higher the alcohol the more tenderized it becomes.

what do you mean by 'decent' cuts? exactly what cuts?

i'd stay away from any commercial tenderizer. if a particular beer is not over 7% ABV, then add a shot of whiskey to the soak.

just, for the love of zod, stop using killians, it's just coors w/ food coloring

dark beer is not inherently bitter...lighter ales tend to be hoppier and more bitter: remember, bud and other american beers are mostly lagers and bad ones at that.

I've just finished my ration of:

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/287/2403

very nice, I like it a lot and would drown some ribeye in it

all for tonight: worked 11.5 hours today and on just 2 calls: I drove a bit over 220 miles today....

Chosen-frozen
05-03-2008, 04:22 AM
Yeah sodas of all kinds get used for marinades. I used to have a recipe that called for reducing a liter of root beer down to a 1/2 cup to make a BBQ sauce. My Mom used to bake hams with a little 7-Up or Sprite. The carbonic acid acts as a tenderizer, but I`m not much for sweet meats.

Oso
05-03-2008, 01:34 PM
Mancakes

White Flour
Whole Wheat Flour, preferably stone ground
baking powder
salt
sugar
90% whey isolate

Milk (2% is my pref, you can go skim if you're trying to cut the fat)
oil (just a tablespoon or so, canola)
eggs

mix all the dry so the whey gets distributed throughout
blend all the wet in and then cook it up

the portions are variable, at least a 50/50 of white to wheat flour. the more wheat, the meatier and chewier the mancake. all wheat isn't really so good at all.

I made this for breakfast for my two fighters before we got on the road this morning. It stuck with them till they had to fight :D

TenTigers
05-19-2008, 09:49 PM
Thanx, Xia! Just got 'Voodoo in the Kitchen" this, to me is the Holy Grail of Cajun food, only because it has some of the recipies that made The Bayou resterant in Bellmore, LI famous.
To thank Xia, and also to shut up Cjurakpt about the "butterknife incident"
(he is soooo jealous) I am sharing their recipe for the best Gumbo you ever tasted, including how to make a roux-which is crucial
So, throw on some Zydeco,open up a bottle of Blackened Voodoo lager, get out your cast iron skillet and," Laissez le Bon Temps Rouler!"

Bayou Seasoning

1/4c Hungarian Paprika
1/4c Cayenne Pepper
1/4c Ground Black Pepper
1/4c Basil leaf
1/2c Oregano
2tsp salt
1/4cWhite Pepper
1 tsp Thyme

In a large bowl, combine all the spices-makes 3 cups-store in sealed container, but keep it handy-once you make this, you'll be putting it in everything

CAJUN ROUX
3/4c Peanut Oil
1c Flour
1/2c yellow onion-chopped
1/2c celery-chopped coarse
1/4c Green Pepper chopped coarse
1/4tsp Bayou Seasoning

In a cast iron skillet heat the oil over high flame until it starts to lightly smoke. Gradually, add the flour while stirring and scraping the bottom of the pan
Continue cooking for 6-10 minutes, stirring constantly. .until the roux has reached a nice dark brown color.
DO NOT BURN-if black specks appear, you have burned it and throw it out. It will be tooo bitter
Remove pan from flame and add the celerty, onions, pepper, and Bayou Seasoning. Whisk for 2 minutes to insure it doesnt burn
Set aside to cook, stirring every few minutes for half an hour
Put in container and cover-this will keep for a few weeks.

ok, now you're ready to make,

LOVESICK GUMBO
1/2lb unsalted butter
1c Yellow Onion chopped coarse
1c celery chopped coarse
1c Green Pepper chopped
6 c shrimp stock
1tsp crushed rosemary
1/4c Bayou Seasoning
3 tbs File Powder (this is sassafras)
1lb jumbo shrimp chopped
1lb crawfish tails chunked
1/4 lb snow crabmeat chunked
1 catfish fillet-cubed
2c niblet corn-fresh or frozen

First, make a roux. (see above)
Melt butter in large pot. Add celery onions,pepper and cook for five minutes over a high heat. When the onions turn translucent, add one cup of the shrimp stock and turn the heat to medium. Cook down for another five minutes.
Add the rosemary and bayou seasoning and cook for two minutes/scraping the bottom of the pot well.
Add the file powder and cook for another minute, while scraping the pot.
The file powder will cause the mixture to take on a rather thick stringy texture, but don't worry-have another beer.
Add one cup of the shrimp stock and stir.
Add the catfish,shrimp, crawfish,crab along with the rest of the stock and the niblet corn.
Turn heat to high.
when liquid comes to a rolling boil, spoon in the roux, while stirring and scraping the bottom of the pot.
lower the heat and simmer for three hours, stirring occaisionally.

Serve in bowl over mounds of rice,
Finishing touch is a dash of dry sherry in each bowl.
Serve with a nice hunk of thick bread on the side-you'll need it.
Bon Appatit!

Here's one of my own concoctions-real easy
take any pasta-add vegies to make a prima vera,carrots,yellow squash, shrimp,etc
Mix Bayou seasoning and butter,n garlic in and sprinkle with parmasan-eat.
you can use a bag of frozen vegies too-Rancho Fiesta is great with this

David Jamieson
05-20-2008, 06:24 AM
you need

-meat
-fire
-salt&pepper

put salt & pepper on da meat
put da meat on da fire
see da juice n crackly fat
flip dat meat
take it off da fire
put it in yo mouf!

oooohhhhh yeaaahhhhh.

GunnedDownAtrocity
06-07-2008, 06:35 AM
Fresh Avocado
Spinach
Ground Turkey
Corn (removed from cobb)
Rice (your choice)
Whole Wheat Tortillas

i forgot to mention i made these a few weeks ago and they were awesome. i also added fresh onions, garlic, mushrooms, and some jallipino peppers cut up into rings. ****ers fed me for days ... ill be making them again tonight or tomorrow actually.

Vash
07-06-2008, 06:34 PM
It's only bachelor salmon because I bought a huge-ass piece ass Wal-Mart. And I'm a bachelor. Anyway.

A lot of Wild Alaskan Salmon
Two or three tablespoons of lemon juice
sprinklin's of Orange peel

saute'd baby carrots, broccolli, bella mushrooms, glazed lightly with honey and lemon pepper

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

GunnedDownAtrocity
07-23-2008, 11:34 AM
recently drunken beers:

(i have no idea how to review beers, so im wingin it here)

dogfish head ipa 120 - 20% abv - holy hell. very very hoppy - burns and tingles in your nose if you dont sip it right. kinda tastes like a very good homemade wine. the best thing about this beer is that after slappin suzi's ass at random she asked me how many beers i had, and i was honestly able to answer jushone.

horn dog barley wine - not my style. it was darkish i guess, but somehow way too sweet.

samuel smiths taddy porter - oh my ... my second favorite beer. its a little sweet, maybe citrusy, but its not over bearing. dark and smooth.

samuel smiths oatmeal stout - very good stout, but i actually like the porter better.

samuel smiths nut brown ale - i think i like this just a little better than the stout

highland oatmeal porter - very very tasty porter. dont know how to describe it, but i liked it alot.

samuel addams imperial ipa - wow. if i hadn't had the ipa 120 a few weeks before, i wouldn't have thought anything could be hoppier than this beer. burns your nose a bit in a good way. right around 9% abv if i remeber right.

lion imperial lager - not my favorite, even for lagers, but its a decent beer. its 8% but the higher abv is well masked.

lion stout - is now my all time favorite beer. extremely dark, full, a bit of chocolate taste to it, and the 8% abv kinda makes your mouth tingle which actually adds rather than detracts to the flavor.

the poet - this is probably a very good beer, but i tried it the same night as the lion stout and it was overshadowed. dark beer with a little bite (8%), but not as rich as the lion stout.

saranac black and tan - kroger had this beer on sale for 5 bucks a sixer, and you cant beat it for the price. certainly not in the same leauge as the beers above, but its way better than some ****in amber bock. i think its a very decent beer - also makes a great steak.

Old Noob
07-23-2008, 11:39 AM
recently drunken beers:

(i have no idea how to review beers, so im wingin it here)

dogfish head ipa 120 - 20% abv - holy hell. very very hoppy - burns and tingles in your nose if you dont sip it right. kinda tastes like a very good homemade wine. the best thing about this beer is that after slappin suzi's ass at random she asked me how many beers i had, and i was honestly able to answer jushone.

horn dog barley wine - not my style. it was darkish i guess, but somehow way too sweet.

samuel smiths taddy porter - oh my ... my second favorite beer. its a little sweet, maybe citrusy, but its not over bearing. dark and smooth.

samuel smiths oatmeal stout - very good stout, but i actually like the porter better.

samuel smiths nut brown ale - i think i like this just a little better than the stout

highland oatmeal porter - very very tasty porter. dont know how to describe it, but i liked it alot.

samuel addams imperial ipa - wow. if i hadn't had the ipa 120 a few weeks before, i wouldn't have thought anything could be hoppier than this beer. burns your nose a bit in a good way. right around 9% abv if i remeber right.

lion imperial lager - not my favorite, even for lagers, but its a decent beer. its 8% but the higher abv is well masked.

lion stout - is now my all time favorite beer. extremely dark, full, a bit of chocolate taste to it, and the 8% abv kinda makes your mouth tingle which actually adds rather than detracts to the flavor.

the poet - this is probably a very good beer, but i tried it the same night as the lion stout and it was overshadowed. dark beer with a little bite (8%), but not as rich as the lion stout.

saranac black and tan - kroger had this beer on sale for 5 bucks a sixer, and you cant beat it for the price. certainly not in the same leauge as the beers above, but its way better than some ****in amber bock. i think its a very decent beer - also makes a great steak.

Had a keg of Dogfishhead 90 minute IPA in my kegarator. One of the finest beers out there in my opinion. Two will do ya. Took me four months to finish the keg.

GunnedDownAtrocity
07-23-2008, 11:47 AM
id really like to try the 90 min ipa .... the 120 was very good no doubt, but it was almost too much. i couldnt drink it every night. who am i kidding ... yes i could ... but the 90 min would be safer.

SimonM
07-23-2008, 11:49 AM
you need

-meat
-fire
-salt&pepper

put salt & pepper on da meat
put da meat on da fire
see da juice n crackly fat
flip dat meat
take it off da fire
put it in yo mouf!

oooohhhhh yeaaahhhhh.

David you are an evil carnivore genocider of cows you evil person.

Old Noob
07-23-2008, 11:58 AM
id really like to try the 90 min ipa .... the 120 was very good no doubt, but it was almost too much. i couldnt drink it every night. who am i kidding ... yes i could ... but the 90 min would be safer.

True. The 90 minute can definitely get away from you but it's not one-shot-one-kill:D

GunnedDownAtrocity
07-29-2008, 05:39 PM
tried the poet and the highland oatmeal porter again with a fresh palet and at a slightly warmer tempurature and i severely underestamated both of these beers. i still don't rate the poet above lion stout, but its a very tasty stout. also highlands oatmeal porter is right in line with samuel smiths taddy porter ... possibly better.

also have a new favorite beer already.

dogfish head palo santo marron ... oh my christ on a stick i love this beer. its really dark but hoppy at the same time ... the two blend togeather really really well.

also just as i was writing this post, my buddy called and said hes bringing me a half case of dogfish head 90 min ipa.

i must say the BA credo over and over to my self .... i am not an alchoholic. i am a champion of beer.

TenTigers
07-30-2008, 03:37 PM
ok, so I'm going to Hong Kong and Thailand this August-sure, why wait until it's comfortable. So I have all my survival gear-underarmour shirts, pants,hat, underwear, etc. And I've been practicing, "Ngoh yiew yat bui bei jow, m'goi" for Hong Kong, but how do I say it in Thai? (and none of that,"Oh, just tell them, " dieu nei lo-mo" type stuff!)

TenTigers
07-30-2008, 03:42 PM
dogfish head, christ on a stick? Great, my luck, I will ask for christ's head on a stick, and get beat up by a bunch of drunken nuns.

Oso
07-31-2008, 05:02 AM
dogfish head is a brewery, one of the best, out of Delaware, I think. Their Immort-Ale is very good as is thier Brown and if you want a really sweet dessert beer, try the Raison D'Etre.

Oso
08-23-2008, 03:18 PM
****, you boys not eating or drinking?

here's a beer review
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/64/41094

i agree with a lot of the reviews on that page.
definitely woody and I swear I kept tasting that not so great flovor in a lot of herbal tinctures I've had: from the little ginsing bottles to valerian tinctures.
sort of an almost bad taste but not bad enough for this beer not to be very good
at 12% it is definitely a huge beer but not very heavy on the stomach.

Cheese:

I only recently discovered aged Gouda. The regular 'baby' gouda I don't even waste my time on but the aged stuff is amazing. I like the Rembrandt brand best of the ones i've tried. a very strong flavor but still kinda creamy. goes well with strong red wines or the above beer.

GunnedDownAtrocity
08-23-2008, 05:24 PM
****, you boys not eating or drinking?

here's a beer review
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/64/41094

i agree with a lot of the reviews on that page.
definitely woody and I swear I kept tasting that not so great flovor in a lot of herbal tinctures I've had: from the little ginsing bottles to valerian tinctures.
sort of an almost bad taste but not bad enough for this beer not to be very good
at 12% it is definitely a huge beer but not very heavy on the stomach.

dude that's my favorite beer right now. as soon as i can swing it im gonna get a case of it up in PA.

GunnedDownAtrocity
08-23-2008, 05:40 PM
actually ... i'll probably end up going in on a case so i can get some other stuff. i really like the dog fish head 90 min as well, but id also like to try something new.

just sucks that you have to buy a case in PA, cant get anything smaller, and WV and OH are both limited to 6%abv on beer. yet you can buy hurricain 8% gravity lager cause its technically a malt liquor. you just cant buy good beer is all. who ever made that law ... id like to choke them with their babies.

Oso
08-23-2008, 05:53 PM
actually ... i'll probably end up going in on a case so i can get some other stuff. i really like the dog fish head 90 min as well, but id also like to try something new.

just sucks that you have to buy a case in PA, cant get anything smaller, and WV and OH are both limited to 6%abv on beer. yet you can buy hurricain 8% gravity lager cause its technically a malt liquor. you just cant buy good beer is all. who ever made that law ... id like to choke them with their babies.

please tell my you haven't drank that hurricane crap more than once?

i tried it once, seemed like the perfect single to take on trip down to the swimming hole...dumped it out on the way. Give me my OE800 if I'm going to drink 'malt liquor'.

GunnedDownAtrocity
08-23-2008, 11:20 PM
please tell my you haven't drank that hurricane crap more than once?

do you really think that little of me?

is hurt. a little.

Oso
08-24-2008, 04:23 AM
lol, no but you've only recently started the program and I worry that you'll fall off.

GunnedDownAtrocity
08-24-2008, 09:19 AM
there's no falling off my man. only way to fall off this wagon is to stop drinking beer all togeather. but then wouldn't i be on the wagon? jumped wagons maybe? i guess as long as my wagon doesn't run over any babies its all good. unless they were already dead of course. then i guess it wouldn't matter all that much.

Oso
08-24-2008, 04:55 PM
dead baby roads might make you spill your beer!!!!

****, that's inspiring...i might add a 5th road to Beng Bu and name it the Dead Baby Road and only teach it to my mostest secretest disciples so people can tell, centuries later, who my kung fu descendants are.

****, i'm awesome. good thing i don't charge extra for that!

GunnedDownAtrocity
08-24-2008, 09:47 PM
is true. man i hate dead babies.

GunnedDownAtrocity
08-24-2008, 09:55 PM
man ... i had Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald Porter tonight. im sad that i havent given this beer a chance sooner. its not in leauge with smiths taddy porter or the like, but its a really really decent beer.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/73/226/?ba=bros

also ... if you havent tried it yet oso ... lion stout. drank my last one tonight and it was amazing. i gave my buddy one weeks ago and he actually hesitated to drink it because i talked it up so much. that and he admitted the name sounded a little corny and he just wasn't expecting much. he finally drank his this weekend and conceded that lion stout is indeed an excellent beer.

Oso
08-25-2008, 03:36 AM
I'll look for both...i like the morbidity of a beer name like "Edmund Fitzgerald?

I might have had a Lion Stout once but can't remember...

Becca
08-27-2008, 09:01 AM
Forget the bottle opener! Top five beers in a can (http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/26312585/?GT1=43001)

Ok, has anyone here actually tried chocolate beer? It sounds pretty good, but then again......

Oso
08-27-2008, 03:31 PM
the Young's Double Chocolate Stout is very good and will be the base for a chocolate BBQ sauce that I'm going to make one day.

many stouts and some porters will have a cholocate type ester going on even if they don't have actual chocolate in the brew

Becca
08-27-2008, 06:30 PM
ok, my local liquer store didn't have chocolate beer. What kind of porters and ales should I try that would be readily found in a common liquer store?

Oso
08-27-2008, 07:17 PM
'common' liquor stores probably won't have much...have you looked for a specialty beer store in your town? some wine shops carry beer as well and usually the higher end stuff...beware: they tend to carry a lot of Belgian style ales: these ales have a distinct and possibly 'peculiar' taste related to the specific type of yeast found in the area (or bought from the area and used by others to make Belgian style ales.

Stout: Guinness. probably the paradigm that all others should be judged by. The Guinness in the can most resembles a good draft pour...the Guinness XXX stout in the bottle is much more bitter. Diet note: Guinness Draught in the can has only 125 calories per 12oz...as compared to Bud Light and Miller Light that have ~95 calories per 12 oz. go for the G, it tastes far better and you can kill the extra 30 calories per quickly enough. ;)

Porter: Smith's Taddy Porter...uh, i think Taddy is short for Tadcaster mebbe, a great porter.

If you can find them, try ANY Baltic Porter...they will be stronger, somewhat sweeter and a good beer overall. NC's Duckrabbit brewing has a limited release Baltic Porter that is very good.

Sam Adams you could also try any of their brews for a good to great example of any particular style of beer. Their honey porter is very good. Sam Adams is probably the most consistant 'micro' brewer in the US though i'm not sure they can claim 'micro' anymore. they brew a very large variety of beers but not all are available in every market.

however.......i am sensing something in your quest for beer.........know, young padawan, that most any porter or stout pairs well with chocolate...I often will simply have some Reese's PB Cups with a dark beer to great satisfaction. But, pair an awesome dark, malty beer with awesome chocolate and prepare to sit back an' watch yer belly grow! :D

hahahahah at 'cholocate' :p:o:rolleyes:

Becca
08-27-2008, 11:18 PM
Gimme a break; my spelling is notorious. :D

And yes, there is a great big specialty store in Thornton that is rumored to have a bit of everything. I guess I'll have to make a detour after work on Friday, because I'm very interested in trying a chocolate beer. Sounds like the best of both worlds.

And on the note of chocolate spirits, I will share my recipe for chocolate irish cream.

1 cup good irish whiskey
3 whole eggs
1 12 oz can chocolate eagle brand milk
10 oz whipping cream (not half and half, has to be actual whipping cream)
either 1/4 t vanilla or, for a minty taste, 1 Tbl cream demint

put everything in a blender and mix till frothy. Refrigerate overnight or longer. (lets the flavors mingle) Makes 6 servings, or about 1 standard wine bottle. Must keep refrigerated and I'd recommend a glass container; plastic does odd things to the flavor and the irish Cream does odd things to the plastic. I have no idea how long it lasts; it never takes me long to use it up.

Note: if you need a strictly adult dessert, slowly add powdered sugar to 1/2 cup of chocolate irish cream till its slightly thiker than maple surup and drizzle over a bunt cake. it'll for a crust after about an hour and tastes fantastic!

Old Noob
08-28-2008, 08:05 AM
ok, my local liquer store didn't have chocolate beer. What kind of porters and ales should I try that would be readily found in a common liquer store?

Sam Adams' Cream Stout has chocolate overtones.

SimonM
08-28-2008, 10:03 AM
Mix a small quantity of salt into a quantity of honey pear vinagrette.
Preheat (folding) grill.
Remove stems from Portobella mushrooms and wash.
Chop fresh garlic very very finely.
Sprinkle fresh garlic onto gill side of mushroom caps.
Rub boneless, skinless chicken breasts with salted vinagrette.
Put chicken breasts on grill.
Put mushroom caps on grill, gill side up.
Close grill and cook 5 minutes.
Open grill, brush drippings of salted vinagrette on chicken.
Put 1 spoon of hummus on top of each mushroom cap.
Chop green lettuce (NOT iceberg), chop fresh cilantro (coriander), mix with baby spinach, wash thoroughly (duh).
After 2-3 minutes on open grill turn Chicken, brush more of sauce on.
Remove mushroom caps.
Cook chicken 2-3 minutes.
Close grill and press for about 15 seconds to sear chicken.
Serve with salad prepared with croutons and (unsalted) honey pear vinagrette.

GunnedDownAtrocity
08-28-2008, 02:31 PM
saranac chocolate amber was ok, but nothing to write home about.

Becca
08-29-2008, 04:41 PM
ok, what's with the little plastic-looking thing that was in the bottle of Guinness? I did find some Young's Double Chocolate, but I'm saving it for a Laborday Totally Chocolate BBQ I'm throwing on Monday.

Oso
08-29-2008, 05:50 PM
ok, the bottle or can of guinness w/ the ball has nitrogen in it instead of carbon dioxide. Nitrogen doesn't impart any taste to the beer. CO2 is bitter.

technically, guiness draft from the keg is never supposed to be served off of a CO2 cylinder like regular beers AND you are not supposed to pour a guinness draft if you can't make a shamrock design in the foam. sadly, few too bartenders down south here can do that. anyone that does gets a $5 tip from me automatically

Becca
08-29-2008, 06:54 PM
Is the nitorgen the reason it was foamier than any Guinness I ever got at a bar? I did notice that is went down very well, but then, I like a nice dry brew or wine. It went very well with the rotissorie chicken I picked up for dinner. Can't wait to try the Young's with BBQ pork ribs in chocolate BBQ sauce on Monday. Contrary to how it sounds, chocolate bbq sauce is not at all sweet. There is a dark smokey flavor from the coco powder. I don't care for it on beef, but pork is a sweet enough meat to pull it off well.

GunnedDownAtrocity
08-29-2008, 09:47 PM
oso i bet you cant guess what im drinking right now.

give it one guess if you're feelin froggy ... the absolute worse **** you could imagine. straight bum brown baggy drinkin. and don't limit yourself to beer.

Becca
08-29-2008, 11:05 PM
mad dog red?

GunnedDownAtrocity
08-30-2008, 12:31 PM
very close ... wild isrish rose.

killed the whole **** thing too. plus a sam adams, a dogfish head raison d'etre (not a big fan of that btw), and a sierra nevada summerfest.

was in interesting mix.

Oso
08-30-2008, 01:25 PM
yes, nitrogen is the cause.
btw, i was laughing at my own typing of 'cholocate' :)

i still wish I knew why I was not getting my email notifications of new posts:mad:

sorry I missed the guessing game...I was just talking about Boone's Farm 'wines' the other day with somebody. the Boone's Farm Sangria is tasty.

but, dude! WIR?

let me throw this at you: Redneck Coolers.

50% cheap white wine (Gallo Rhine by choice for me)
50% Mountain Dew
Lot's of ice...make a bucket of it...cleaning the old sheetrock mud out first is optional ;)

we made that up back in the 80's when California coolers came out. We were protesting the cost. definitely tasty on a hot summer day at the lake and relatively low alcohol and the caffiene keeps you up

Labor Day Beer Selections for me:

Hook Norton Brewery (Where progress is measured in pints)
Hook Norton, Oxfordshire, U.K.

Double Stout 4.8% ABV a 'traditional english ale'

Daleside Brewery
Starbeck Harrogate (?) Product of England

Monkey Wrench Dark Ale 5.3% ABV
'Dark and beautifully smooth' ;) like I likes my wimmins ;)

this is what got me on the label:

In an old English seaport there persists a strange legend which claims that many centures ago when Britain was at war, a monkey was found clinging to a raft that had been washed ashore. The poor creature chattering from the cold and the fright was believed to be speaking a foreign language. The monkey, thought to be a spy, was arrested and me an untimely end. In sympathy for that monkey, and in support of monkeys, this beer is called Monkey Wrench

I was like 'awww, poor monkey, i have to drink this'

Southampton Brand
Southampton, NY

Imperial Porter 7.5% ABV
'rich and flavorful with upfront notes of chocolate, caramel & toffee'

I'll finish the evening with this as it is the strongest of the three.

GunnedDownAtrocity
08-30-2008, 01:38 PM
i think i wanted to test my tollerance more than anything. the last time i drank wild irish rose was more than 10 years ago and i got sick everywhere. actually it was the very last time i actually threw up because of alchohol. in fact the person who sold it to me was there when i threw up and said, "your gonna get sick mikey."

i was pretty lit up by the end of it, but i was doing ok on counter strike until i got frustrated.

Becca
08-31-2008, 12:05 AM
Oso, do you use a microsoft system? Outlook, hotmail, or live mail? The Evil Empire resently "updated" their spam blocker.... I actually couldn't send e-mails to myself from my work account till I manually changed the settings. :D

And I sneeked a can of Young's after I got home from my second job this evening. I like it! Thanks for that recomendation!

Mas Judt
08-31-2008, 06:59 AM
Becca,
Can I get that chocolate BBQ sauce recipe?

Thanks

Oso
08-31-2008, 08:28 AM
ok, but, still, i'd use something better than that to test a tolerance level.

Becca: yea, i use MS...if it was the spam blocker doesn't it send it to a separate folder?

besides, they aren't even showing up on my email server, i checked.

Young's is good. You're welcome. :)

GunnedDownAtrocity
09-01-2008, 08:48 PM
i am not drinking liquor again. ever.

this is not an empty promise.

bakxierboxer
09-01-2008, 09:24 PM
i am not drinking liquor again. ever.

this is not an empty promise.

.... and ample evidence is given by the empty bottle?

jow yeroc
09-02-2008, 04:32 AM
Not a big drinker but we kept it simple this weekend for our little cookout with
Shiner Bock and some cold Guinness. Also had a single malt at the ready
which no one fondled.:cool:

Oso
09-02-2008, 04:56 AM
all three of my brews were good but the Monkey Wrench was the best. It had a nice flavor to it...I hate to use this here for obvious reasons...but it had an almost nutty flavor to it. The others were good examples of their style but not outstanding.

we kept it simple as well...it was BYOx so there was a mix of food and beer.

I had brats but there were hamburgers and salmon on the grille as well.

I did mix up some of my 'Cheater's Salsa' it fools people into thinking you made fresh salsa:

1 jar of Pace Medium
1 purple onion
1 bunch, cilantro
1 T minced garlic in the jar

throw it all in the food processor and serve w/ chips.
I like the 'Hint of Lime' chips

Becca
09-02-2008, 08:56 AM
ok, but, still, i'd use something better than that to test a tolerance level.

Becca: yea, i use MS...if it was the spam blocker doesn't it send it to a separate folder?

besides, they aren't even showing up on my email server, i checked.

Young's is good. You're welcome. :)Oddly, no. It flat out won't let somethings through. It labels things as a phishing scam for good reason and they don't even make it to your Junk mail folder.

Here's how you fix it:
go to options while logging into your e-mail. under junk mail it should have at least 2 options. "Filters and Reporting" - I recomend setting the security level to medium and see what happens; you can lower it to low security if you need to later. "Safe and Blocked Senders" is the other one you'll need to adjust. You can pick your way through all the blocked sendors to find spacific ones that you still want to let through or you can erase the whole list and start from scratch. I would recomend you spacifically add those addresses you want to receive.

Mas Judt: sure, but it will have to later, I'm at work and don't have it on me.

Oso
09-02-2008, 09:08 AM
hmmm, i may not have that junk mail option...i'm running Office 2000...a bit dated, I know...i've had a couple of error reports come back from MS saying I need to upgrade because they are not supporting 2000 anymore....still looking, thanks!

GunnedDownAtrocity
09-12-2008, 02:16 PM
hey oso . . . . my buddy was kind enough to give me another dogfish head 120 min ipa. im trying to save it for as long as i can, but im not sure its going to make it the weekend.

Oso
09-12-2008, 07:30 PM
mayn, i jes' can' drink that bitta beer. but you have fun, those that can tell me it's really good.

my quest for tomorrow is to secure a six pack of Schenk's Cream Ale. A brew by Highland but by a local who won a homebrew contest they put on. It will only be available in AVL. Just released yesterday...i missed the tasting due to work :(

I'll ship anyone a single for $20. :D

Becca
11-19-2008, 08:45 AM
Here's an interesting article on Beer: (http://health.msn.com/weight-loss/articlepage.aspx?cp-documentid=100220574&GT1=31036)

Drink the Beer, Lose the Gut
Find out the most satisfying beers for under 140 calories.
Edited by Matt Bean, Men's Health

Most light beers save only about 20 to 50 calories per bottle—and some even outweigh regular beers. It's mostly marketing, says Garrett Oliver, Brooklyn Brewery brewmaster and author of The Brewmaster's Table (Ecco, 2003). Want maximum taste, minimum guilt? Consult our guide to the best beers under 140 calories.

Ratings (out of ***)

Guinness Draught Bottle (4.2 percent alcohol)

Calories: 125 **

Carbohydrates: 9.9 grams (g) **

Foods it goes best with: Creamy, mild taste plays well with shellfish and soups.

Taste test: "Smoky flavor with hints of coffee. Breakfast, anyone?" ***

Yuengling Premium (4.4 percent alcohol)

Calories: 135 *

Carbohydrates: 12 g *

Foods it goes best with: Hoppy, sweet notes blend best with barbecue or pan-Asian foods.

Taste test: "A little bitter and a little sweet, like my relationship with my ex." **

Sol Cerveza Especial (4 percent alcohol)

Calories: 127 **

Carbohydrates: 10 g **

Foods it goes best with: Its light body and fizzy texture are the perfect foil for spicy fare, like jalapeño-heaped nachos.

Taste test: "Tastes like a Mexican Budweiser. Can someone snag some nachos and a lime?" *

Victory Lager (4.8 percent alcohol)

Calories: 138 *

Carbohydrates: 11 g *

Foods it goes best with: This crisp lager cleanses the palate after a burger.

Taste test: "A little hops-heavy at first, but the taste grows on you." ***

Winner

New Belgium Skinny Dip (4.2 percent alcohol)

Calories: 110 ***

Carbohydrates: 7 g ***

Foods it goes best with: This bright, light beer pairs nicely with chicken and fruit.

Taste test: "A good beer for kicking back after a long day of hard work." ***

GunnedDownAtrocity
11-19-2008, 12:06 PM
i haven't drank since halloween.

i am one sad atrocity.

SimonM
11-19-2008, 12:50 PM
I have a couple glasses worth of Jamesons Irish Whisky at home. That is all the boozle I have left though.

Becca
11-19-2008, 01:58 PM
My one drink in the last month or more was trying something called an Irish Car Bomb. Think boiler maker but with Irish cream and Guinnis. I can honestly say the name is much more impressive than the drink. :(

TenTigers
11-30-2008, 05:11 PM
ok so I just made my first foray into single malts. I bought a bottle of Glenlivet.
I liked it. Really smooth, soft almost. I had to check the proof as it didn't feel like 80 proof, yet it was. Now, that's smooth!
I didn't do a side by side comparrison to say, a Chivas or a JWB, so I have no real guage.
What are your experiences and recommendations?
I think I just found another expensive indulgence.
As far as port goes-I really enjoy Pindar, and Warrior . I just bought a 10 year tawny port from Sandeman-I will let you know this weekend.
Cigars? Artouro Fuente and Fonseca, although when I went to HK, I bought some cuban Romeos that I enjoyed.

Reverend Tap
11-30-2008, 05:52 PM
My one drink in the last month or more was trying something called an Irish Car Bomb. Think boiler maker but with Irish cream and Guinnis. I can honestly say the name is much more impressive than the drink. :(

It's a lot better if you put half Irish Cream and half Irish whiskey in the shot glass. Gives it a bit more kick.

bakxierboxer
11-30-2008, 09:38 PM
ok so I just made my first foray into single malts. I bought a bottle of Glenlivet.
I liked it. Really smooth, soft almost. I had to check the proof as it didn't feel like 80 proof, yet it was. Now, that's smooth!
I didn't do a side by side comparrison to say, a Chivas or a JWB, so I have no real guage.
What are your experiences and recommendations?

There are no substitutes!
(this includes "Glenfarclas Glenlivet")
(OTOH, if you go looking for your new-found favorite in most bars.... fugeddabowdit!)
(being "used to" JWB is handy in such situations)

jow yeroc
12-01-2008, 10:07 PM
Man TT you've barely scratched the surface my man. There are a ton of cool
distilleries in Scotlaand that make THE finest single malts in the world.
Glenlivet is nice. Very smooth and lightly smokey. Glenfiddich a little more
robust. Judging by the inventory around here one would think there is only
Glenfiddich, Glenlivet, Speyburn and Glenfarclas. But there are prolly 50
distilleries whose name begins with 'Glen'.
While i do enjoy Johnny Walker Blue (expensive as Spitzers side trim), it, like
Chivas, Cutty, and others are blended whiskeys and bourbon. Jamesons
is Irish whiskey which is a little different.
My wife is Scottish from Scotland and if you know anything about Scots and
their single malt...:eek: Breakfast of champions.
Her uncle visited from recently from Dunoon and brought a bottle of Edradour
and another he wanted me to try though i cannot remember the name but it
had Glen in the name and he said it was a little pricey. I actually liked the
10 yr Edradour better than the 15yr Glen-something. I couldn't stop thinking
English Leather when i sipped the pricier one. I dunno. But yeah i've been
delving into the single malt world for a little bit. I have half a bottle of 20yr
Speyburn and a corner of the Edradour. And wifey bought me a bottle of
Glenlivet for my 40th which just passed a few days ago. All that will last me
till next year. I'm not a big drinker though my post may seem to indicate
otherwise. Just a couple sips to thin the blood up once in a while.;)

TenTigers
12-01-2008, 10:54 PM
in my local liquor store, they have a row of single malts. I suppose I will start with the Glens, perhaps next week pick up a Glenfiddich. I first tried single malt about ten years ago, when a friend had two bottles and gave us a taste. I don't recall what the brand was, but it was smooth with a smokey taste. The Glenlivett was not as smokey as I recall this one being. I like that in a scotch, that smooth velvety taste as it just rolls around on your palate.
But, they are pricey. Sometimes, ya just gotta give yourself a nice reward for being good.
I also don't seem to get in as much trouble with them as I do with the absinthes.
(I hate waking up the next day and reading in the headlines how my night went)

hmmm, I just won an ebay bid on a Marshall 1960B cabinet. :cool:
The scotch will have to wait till next week!:(

Sung29
12-02-2008, 12:14 AM
Hey TenTigers,

I would recommend anything from Highland Park. They're all smokie and smooth - you just can't go wrong. The Balvenie DoubleWood is also a great choice. If you're looking for something that's a bit spicey, I recommend a Talikser (it's been called "volcanic"). Aberlour also makes great single malts, and are of exceptional value!

Enjoy!

Oso
12-02-2008, 06:30 AM
It's a lot better if you put half Irish Cream and half Irish whiskey in the shot glass. Gives it a bit more kick.

or just drink the Irish like it was meant to be...

i'm a pretty solid Bushmill's fan and so rarely try anything else but had some Michael Collins this past summer at my brother's wedding and it was very good.

Reverend Tap
12-02-2008, 12:01 PM
or just drink the Irish like it was meant to be...

i'm a pretty solid Bushmill's fan and so rarely try anything else but had some Michael Collins this past summer at my brother's wedding and it was very good.

Yeah, I'm pretty partial to Irish whiskeys on their own too. Bushmill's is good, haven't tried Michael Collins. I generally keep a bottle of Jameson around since that was the first thing I really ever drank. A couple of months ago I got to try a glass of Knappogue Castle (single-malt Irish whiskey), though, and that utterly blew everything away, even the various single-malt scotches I've had.

I'm mostly drinking beer (and making it) and sake these days, though.

Li Kao
12-06-2008, 12:19 AM
http://greatbrewers.com/
Although it's only active for a few states in the Northeast, I think it's a cool website.
Of course, any true beer connoisseur will have all the watering holes in his area thoroughly staked out, but I could see this being useful when travelling, living in a big city, or moving to a new city.

You enter your zipcode and it links you up with the local distributors, and then you can enter a particular beer in, and it will show you bars/restaurants or shops/retailers where you can carry-away the particular brand, complete with MapQuest-style driving directions.

Of course, not really of any use to the domestic drinkers, but if you enjoy a quality beer, then it's a genius idea. Hopefully they can branch out and get more of the country covered someday...

I wonder if anyone likes their beer enough to ever use something like this?

GunnedDownAtrocity
12-06-2008, 09:20 AM
BeerAdvocate & Dogfish Head to Brew Collaborative Extreme Beer

Beer to Be Named by BeerAdvocate.com Members and Served at the 2009 Extreme Beer Fest in Boston ...

http://beeradvocate.com/news/1667941

Up to the challenge? Name the beer! Click the link for the 411.

Respect Beer.

Jason & Todd (Alström Bros)
Founders, http://beeradvocate.com

Oso
12-06-2008, 03:14 PM
RT: yea, the only other acceptable form of Irish Whiskey injection is in a 'God's Blessing'

I'll send anyone a random high gravity beer that gets that reference :D

times is tough...i'm relegated to buying single's at my fav beer store just to sample a few new brews

drank these two lovelies last night:

Backwoods ******* (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1199/35036)

yep, even if it wasn't a Scotch Ale/Wee Heavy I would have drank it simply because of the name. As it stands, this beer might just eclipse Tasgall as my #1

Old Cuermudgeon (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1199/24905)

yes, agin, the name was the draw...I just noticed that both of the links above are of older label styles AND older brews...the new release has different, cooler labels and higher ABV: 10.2 for BB and 9.8 for OC... I had a 12oz. bottle of each last night and that was IT for me...yes, I know, not up to the old 'Oso Standard' but I'm cutting back some.

tonight or tomorrow's bottle is:

Green Flash Brewing Barleywine Style Ale (Vintage) (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/2743/33599)

GunnedDownAtrocity
12-12-2008, 12:07 AM
i've had a **** load of new beers recently ... i need to start keeping track again.

one i want to mention in particualr . ... sam adams chocholate bock . .. really really beautiful packaging and bottle ... made it seem like it was well worth 13 bucks for a 22oz. complete disapointment.

i mean ... i dont want to call it a terrible beer . . . id pay 8 bucks for a 6 pack of it maybe once in a while. but never again would i pay that much for a 22. in fact, if i were at a buddies house and i had my choice between the chocolate bock and sam adams black lager ... id pick the lager.

Oso
12-12-2008, 05:49 AM
you can go way wrong w/ chocolate in beer...Young's Double Chocolate Stout, reviewed above I think, is about as good as it gets.

btw, the barleywine i tried was good. a bit bitter for me but not too bitter that I didn't enjoy it.

TenTigers
12-13-2008, 07:30 PM
ok, so I picked up a Glenfiddich 12 yr old.
Nice, smooth. I don't have the Glenlivet to do a side by side, but I think I like the smoothness of the Glenlivet better. This is still no doubt better ,richer, and smoother than Chivas and JWB.
A Fonseca Triangular is going very nice with this. Smooth, full bodied, but not harsh, or overly spicy.Rich flavour. They compliment each other.

I'm going to be useless in my grappling class tomorrow. I'll be sweating cigars and alcohol. I pity the fool who has to roll with me.:eek:

(sniff) I miss my Sifu-we used to hang out by the fireplace and drink port and smoke cubanos late at night.

taai gihk yahn
12-13-2008, 08:24 PM
2 things:

1) I had a glass of portofino from 1834 the other night at a local "high-end" restaurant - my wife's practice was celebrating her one-year anniversary with them - although the entire dinner was paid for by the good folks from Boniva (http://www.boniva.com/) who easily dropped at least $1K on the meal (12 peeps, easy $75 each at least) - being a doc hubby has it's occasional benefits, I guess; anyway, it was $45 for a 3 oz. glass; ruby/amber color; it had a very lemon / citrus nose, very crisp and clear taste, pretty smooth finish; obviousl I'd never pay for that on my own, but on the drug rep's nickel, i g=figured what the heck! and I just think it was cool drinking something from around the time Napolean was alive...

2) great article on Dogfish Head Brewery (http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2008/11/24/081124fa_fact_bilger) in last week's New Yorker; anyone ever try any of their stuff? they describe some mead / ale like brew they make based on like some ancient Sumarian recipe or something...

TenTigers
12-13-2008, 08:43 PM
if you're still up, call me-I haven't finished the bottle yet!:D

GunnedDownAtrocity
12-14-2008, 12:40 AM
2 things:

2) great article on Dogfish Head Brewery (http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2008/11/24/081124fa_fact_bilger) in last week's New Yorker; anyone ever try any of their stuff? they describe some mead / ale like brew they make based on like some ancient Sumarian recipe or something...

my reviews above . .. dogfish head's palo santo maroon is still in my top 5 favorite beers. lion stout is still number one though.

GunnedDownAtrocity
12-14-2008, 12:46 AM
. . .. also **** sam adams. i am really dissapointed in them as a brand anymore.

Oso
12-14-2008, 06:58 AM
Dogfish Head is my 2nd fav brewery behind our local Highland Brewing.

Dogfish puts out some good stuff...you're talking about there Midas Touch brew

GDA, what else didn't you like about SA? I think they are very consistent with all thier brews...the Boston Ale is always a good fallback beer and the Honey Porter is very good as is their Scotch Ale.

ingchao
12-14-2008, 04:26 PM
http://www.drinkjoose.com/main.html

Listen to the whole rap.

It's so bad it's.. well I wouldn't have bought it had I seen this web site first!

I only bought it because of the "Dragon Joose" flavor.
Insert pun here.:D

And remember, "With great Joose comes great responsibility":p:(

I can't describe the hangover.

Joooossssssse.

Oso
12-14-2008, 04:45 PM
sugar = hangover

the more sugar in what you drink the worse the hangover...don't ask me why.

yu shan
12-15-2008, 10:12 AM
Not beer but...

Kava Kava, anybody try it?

Oso
12-15-2008, 02:55 PM
don't think so. what is it?

SimonM
12-15-2008, 03:23 PM
A mild stimulant from the south-pacific islands (particularly fiji)

Correction: Although Kava causes talkativeness and mental clarity larger doses cause sleepiness and promote a deep, dreamless, sleep. So Kava isn't actually a stimulant... it just shares effects with stimulants in small doses.

GunnedDownAtrocity
12-15-2008, 04:06 PM
witches brew (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/48/39114) - very very decent golden ale. i normally only like dark beers so why i even tried this at 12 bucks a 22oz is beyond me, but im glad i did. i might even buy one more before they are out of season.

Reverend Tap
12-16-2008, 12:36 PM
sugar = hangover

the more sugar in what you drink the worse the hangover...don't ask me why.

I can't believe people are still getting hangovers. Jebus. Drink a couple tall glasses of water (or better, Gatorade) before bed and it doesn't much matter what you've been drinking.

GunnedDownAtrocity
12-16-2008, 01:12 PM
I can't believe people are still getting hangovers. Jebus. Drink a couple tall glasses of water (or better, Gatorade) before bed and it doesn't much matter what you've been drinking.

either you're smart enough to stop yourself before i am (on occasion), or else your incredibly lucky.

SimonM
12-16-2008, 01:24 PM
Or he drinks water when he is drinking.

Or he hits the ganja the next day when he gets up.... :p

GunnedDownAtrocity
12-16-2008, 03:14 PM
Or he drinks water when he is drinking.

Or he hits the ganja the next day when he gets up.... :p

yeah ... but man there are nights when all the water in the world isn't going to help me the next day. i usually wake up feeling ok, probably because im still drunk, and then the hangover hits an hour or two later.

Oso
12-19-2008, 05:46 PM
ok, this was my single bottle purchase of the week:

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/220/46357

Lagunitas Brewing from Petaluma, CA. Apparently they have done other Zappa dedicated beers but this was the first I'd seen and bought it because of that...though the 8.6 ABV was bonus.

I loved it. I give it a solid 'A' as apposed to the low scores there on BA.

most of the descriptions are dead on...smooth, sweet but not too sweet though there is hardly any evidence of hops. I could drink many of these.

Reverend Tap
12-19-2008, 06:36 PM
I have just discovered how much better Heineken is when it's canned instead of in those horrid beer-skunking bottles and I am offended at the world that this knowledge was kept from me for so long.

;)

Lucas
12-19-2008, 06:37 PM
im a univera guy. does that count as food?

Oso
12-20-2008, 06:13 AM
i was needing a single, large and cheap beer to drink at a small get together and bought the Molson XXX in the can and was very surprised at how drinkable it was for $2.

GunnedDownAtrocity
12-20-2008, 10:53 AM
i've had it before, but last night edmund fitzgerald (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/73/226/?ba=bros) replaced sierra nevada stout as my favorite beer under 6% not made by samuel smith. had it back to back with abita turbo dog, which is a good beer in its own right, but was destroyed by edmund fitzgerald on my palate.

also i dont think i mentioned some of the beers i had down south when i went for tower climbing school.

gonzo imperial porter (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/68/24071/?ba=bros) - the bros only rated it at a b, but i really really liked this beer. he also mentioned that it was worth it if you like strong dark beers, which i do, so i guess im partial.

stone imperial russian stout (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/147/1160) holy **** hell how can good be so beer. id have to drink this back to back with lion stout to see if it claimed my number one spot.

arrogant b4stard (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/147/92/?ba=bros) . .. you know i really wanted to love this beer, but instead i just liked it a lot. the packaging got me all hyped up, but as far as hoppy beers go i think i like DFH 90 min and sam adams imperial pilsner better. i do admit to having a lot of beers that night though . . . i wish i had gotten two of them so i could have tried it on its own when i got home.

Oso
12-20-2008, 12:13 PM
when and where were you 'down south'?

GunnedDownAtrocity
12-20-2008, 02:07 PM
end of october i think. went to ocean city to get certified.

Xiao3 Meng4
12-20-2008, 02:27 PM
2 Beers:

Kootenay Mountain Ale and Nelson Faceplant. Yum.

Oso
12-20-2008, 04:34 PM
end of october i think. went to ocean city to get certified.

where the hell is that?

GunnedDownAtrocity
12-20-2008, 11:55 PM
south eastern maryland. maybe that's not quite the south, but its south from where i'm at.

Oso
12-21-2008, 07:22 AM
well, I guess that would technically be south of the Mason-Dixon line...but no, not really south. :)

TenTigers
12-21-2008, 05:19 PM
just picked up a bottle of Macallan single malt on reccomendation.
Nah. I think the Glenlivett spoiled me. Although it was good, and definately more character and smoother than JWB or Chivas, and a bit of sweetness in the front of my tongue, the Glenlivett still has that light smokey, smooth as silk mouth feel. The Macallen still had too much bite and bitterness at the back of my tongue.
But..it went well with my Fuente short story.

bakxierboxer
12-21-2008, 10:19 PM
Nah. I think the Glenlivett spoiled me....

FWIW, "back in the day" I got to "hang" on occasion with Coco Chinetti (Ferrari NA) and a bunch of the Euros (aka "Jet Setters").
THEIR scotch of choice was The Glenlivet.

doug maverick
12-21-2008, 10:56 PM
Nah. I think the Glenlivett spoiled me. Although it was good, and definately more character and smoother than JWB or Chivas, and a bit of sweetness in the front of my tongue, the Glenlivett still has that light smokey, smooth as silk mouth feel. The Macallen still had too much bite and bitterness at the back of my tongue.
But..it went well with my Fuente short story.

macallan has always been my scotch of choice since, last two years ago i was at the vh1 rock honors and a company i did work for sponsored it, the hotel sent a gift basket that had two bottles of it and i fell in love. gonna try the glenlivett.

bakxierboxer
12-22-2008, 12:01 AM
macallan has always been my scotch of choice since, last two years ago i was at the vh1 rock honors and a company i did work for sponsored it, the hotel sent a gift basket that had two bottles of it and i fell in love. gonna try the glenlivett.

Your wallet may well be sorry.... but your palate won't be.

taai gihk yahn
12-22-2008, 01:58 PM
ok, not food or beer, but for those of you into Margarita's: my wife is a big fan, so for her birthday I got her some glasses, shaker, mix, tequila; she's been very happy with what I got, and I must say it don't su(k:

Tequila: Cazadroes De Arandas Blanco -
- just picked it randomly in the store, it was the only one they had left; ~$30 for the bottle
one review: http://www.liquoranddrink.com/Ingredients/203-Cazadores-Blanco-Tequila/

Mix: Agave15 - The Classic; carried by Williams Sonoma

customer ratings:
http://reviews.williams-sonoma.com/3177/fd523/reviews.htm

SimonM
12-22-2008, 02:14 PM
Your wallet may well be sorry.... but your palate won't be.

Don't get me wrong, the Glenlivett is good.

But if money is no barrier try Glenmoragne.

Oso
12-22-2008, 03:50 PM
ok, not food or beer, but for those of you into Margarita's: my wife is a big fan, so for her birthday I got her some glasses, shaker, mix, tequila; she's been very happy with what I got, and I must say it don't su(k:

Tequila: Cazadroes De Arandas Blanco -
- just picked it randomly in the store, it was the only one they had left; ~$30 for the bottle
one review: http://www.liquoranddrink.com/Ingredients/203-Cazadores-Blanco-Tequila/

Mix: Agave15 - The Classic; carried by Williams Sonoma

customer ratings:
http://reviews.williams-sonoma.com/3177/fd523/reviews.htm

hands down the best tequila for the money is El Jimador...about $26 a fifth not a pure agave but it's dang tasty

taai gihk yahn
12-22-2008, 06:08 PM
hands down the best tequila for the money is El Jimador...about $26 a fifth not a pure agave but it's dang tasty

which one? there appear to be several...

Oso
12-22-2008, 07:35 PM
sorry, the Reposado...it's actually the only one i've seen...

almost 8 years ago when I first started teaching here in AVL, we started a monday night thing of going to the Mexican place just down the street. Two of the waiters have been there longer than that and I get 'preferred' status there. One of them was a student for a while...and get this, he had to hide that fact from the rest of the waiters...the latin machismo thing?, I don't know but he didn't want it let out that he was training...anyway, they turned me on to the El Jimador Reposado and it's very nice, has a honey aftertaste, nice for sipping but also makes a helluva margarita.

bakxierboxer
12-22-2008, 08:04 PM
Don't get me wrong, the Glenlivett is good.

But if money is no barrier try Glenmoragne.

Never seen it to price it.
How long have they been around?
(also, "jet setters" seldom let money (cost) get in the way of anything)

TenTigers
12-22-2008, 10:49 PM
I'm more the paper airplane-setter

bakxierboxer
12-22-2008, 11:29 PM
I'm more the paper airplane-setter

You've got lots of company.
In any case, it doesn't stop you from enjoying top-shelf scotch.
(although "other (budgetary) adjustments" may be needed)

TenTigers
12-24-2008, 09:36 PM
ok, so I bought myself a Christmas present-a bottle of Glenmorangie-port casked.

hmmmm. so far, a bit sweeter in the mouth (yet not on the tongue-weird) must be the port cask. Not smokey at all, very smooth. Nice aftertaste. It lingers not so much on the palate but in the mouth and sinus? Richer, deeper. I tend to taste it on the soft palate. On exhalation, you alwmost taste the port cask-a sweet woody taste. nice.

Now, of course, this is after a full Korean BBQ and two bottles of Jinro Soju, so my tastebuds are numbed. I'll try some tomorrow-for breakfast!

BTW-when I picked this bottle up-(and Taai Gihk Yahn-this is the liquor store on NY Ave, they have quite a selection of single-malts)
this guy bought I believe it was Macallen? had a blue label and cost $160.00!
For me, I don't like spending that kind of money on my liquor. I don't like to take out a thimble full and sip it, and out the bottle away. I like to pour myself a nice glass, and enjoy it, and then have a few more.
When I drink, I like to drink. Otherwise, it's like a tease.
"Here. Just a taste. That's all."

I also don't go in for nouvelle cuisine. Gimmie a serving I can eat, dammmmit!

TenTigers
12-24-2008, 09:48 PM
I'm not white trash...I'm like, white trash lite.
I'm ...white clutter!:)

Oso
12-25-2008, 08:14 AM
TT, we need to get together for a drink, my brother from another mother :)

Oso's Pork Loin Xmas Marinade

This is enough to marinade 2 nice sized pieces.

1 12oz. Bottle of Backwoods ******* Ale (scant a nice sized swallow to start the day off)
2 shots bourbon (cheap stuff)
1 C estra virgin olive oil
plenty of garlic and pepper
thyme
allspice
nutmeg
(probably close to a teaspoon of each of those)

I just started this at about 10am so I added the bourbon cuz I want to cook at about 4pm...if you have time to let it sit overnight then you don't need to put the bourbon in

gonna put this on the grill all wrapped in foil till basically done and then sear it on the grille to finish it.

planning on a veg mix of yellow squash, asparagus, red skinned potatoes and onions also in a hobo pack on the grille.

GunnedDownAtrocity
12-25-2008, 11:58 AM
suzi is a wonderful girlfriend . .. i think thats why i've kept her around for 13 years.

for xmas she got me a case of santo palo maroon, victory storm king imperial stout, and a case of shiner bohemian black lager.

drinking one of the imperial stouts now, and i feel all warm and fuzzy. tremendous jet black highly drinkable 9+% chewy stout.

Reverend Tap
12-25-2008, 11:37 PM
I got absolutely no booze nor MA gear this Xmas. :(

TenTigers
12-25-2008, 11:50 PM
speaking of food, has anyone been watching, "Kitchen Nightmares?"
Totally inspiring. If you go to hulu.com, you can watch all the seasons.

TenTigers
12-26-2008, 09:57 AM
This is real simple;
Tobasco Chipotle sauce mixed with ketchup.

Throw that on eggs, any kind-scrambled, over easy, sunny side up,poached, etc
it is amazing. I can eat eggs all day with this.
When I was doing the Body For Life diet, I was eating sometimes up to eight eggs a day.
with this sauce, I looked foward to breakfast.

When my students first get into weight training, I cook them eggs. They freak out.
You should see their eyes light up. "OMG, how did you make this?"
besides, ketchup is a great source of lycopene.

BTW-cooking food for your students is a very good way to form bonds. It is fatherly, nurturing, and family-like.
Breaking bread with people always forms connections. (that, and beer):D
Sure, it's not for the health club, or gym atmosphere type schools, but more for the traditional Mo-Kwoon/club type.

During Chinese New Year, I make eight treasure soup for the school, (good immune booster for the winter) I remember Sifu Yee serving us eight treasure soup during Lion Dance practice, and I thought that was really cool.
also. when we have Lion Dance practice, I make dumplings afterward. Just another bonding thng, I guess.

bakxierboxer
12-26-2008, 04:29 PM
... besides, ketchup is a great source of lycopene.

I dunno, doesn't sound like anything I'd want to eat......:rolleyes:

taai gihk yahn
12-26-2008, 09:32 PM
I dunno, doesn't sound like anything I'd want to eat......:rolleyes:

I 'eard that's the stuff what turns a chap into a werewolf...

bakxierboxer
12-26-2008, 09:50 PM
I 'eard that's the stuff what turns a chap into a werewolf...

OH?
Is THAT all it is?
An' 'ere I wuz thunkin' it were more lahk sumthin' in a Wiccan dialeck where they meant to write "lyke" an "penes".........

There's sumthin' to be sed fur been a wherewulf..... or izzatta 'warewulf?

Ennywhey, longazzit ain't muffin' disgustin' lahk wunna deez liddul mop-dawgies......

TenTigers
12-26-2008, 10:10 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxNHmhw-kB8

SimonM
12-31-2008, 01:54 PM
:D Bump :D

Oso
12-31-2008, 05:01 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxNHmhw-kB8

mel brooks is a grandmaster

TenTigers
01-17-2009, 11:20 PM
ok, two things are gonna happen here:
1-I'm gonna make my favorite liquor store owner rich.
2- I'm gonna turn you guys onto the best liquor store in Chinatown-and blow my stash: But I'm in a generous mood:
Mark's Liguors on Mott St.
They have all my faves in Chinese liquor-Ng Ga Pei, Shaoxing, Confucious Family, Mei Gwai lo, etc
But they have Go Chiku Bai Nigori sake-cheap!and several brands, not your usual Fuki and Gekkikan crap.
and several brands of Absinthe! yay!
Havent checked out their single malts yet, but its on my list-after I go through their absinthes-they have Lucid-sux, Absente-sux, LeTourment Vert-differerent, Pernod-a classic, Versinthe-havent tried it yet, but it got good reviews. Sure beats e.absinthe-prices are about the same, but no expensive shipping fees.

TenTigers
01-18-2009, 11:15 PM
ahhh...so I am sitting here drinking some more of this LeTourment Vert absinthe.
I prefer it neat rather than with an absinthe dripper over sugar cubes.
But...it kinda taste like Green Chartreuse mixed with Absinthe, and a hint of Scope.
Like I said, intersting, but not a true Absinthe.
It does have a high degree of thujone content, so it is pretty heady...

jow yeroc
01-21-2009, 11:44 AM
You friggin' hop-head. :D I keed, i keed.

I haven't indulged in the absinthe yet. Not really high on the list of priorities. I wish i still lived in NY for the selection of spirits. Here in Va, liquor is sold at state owned/regulated stores. ABC (alcoholoic bevereage commies..i mean commision).
So readily available selection is pretty lame usually.

For anyone interested, check scotchhunter.com and go to the links page. There are some good links to different scotch outlets and sites.

Foodwise, my family and i are enjoying some great organic vegetables grown
locally on my dad's farm. He grows 4 varieties of sweet potatoes, white potatoes, corn, beets, butter beans, string beans, collards and kale.
I cooked a feast on Sunday of local food, broiled sea bass from the bay, baked Hayman sweet potatoes, steamed cherrystone clams from the eastern shore, some fried toadfish as appetizer, and made a peach pie with local peaches that i froze in August.
And we drank Crown Royal XO that my friend brought over. Very smooth, i was quite impressed with it.

TenTigers
01-21-2009, 02:31 PM
toadfish-are those the monster looking creatures that can bite through you hooks? I pulled up this scary looking thing that had a big gaping mouth that actually tried to bite the pliers when I disgorged the hook. Scary thing. It's kinda round and brown/olive colored, with what look like leg things like a frog, I think its genetic research gone wrong by aliens. You can eat those things?

jow yeroc
01-21-2009, 04:20 PM
Ha! Yeah, you're talking about oyster toad aka shellcrackers. They are actually edible too. But no, i'm referring to the Northern Puffer aka swell toad. Absolutley delicious.

TenTigers
01-21-2009, 05:41 PM
puffers-around here they call them chicken of the sea!
because when you batter and fry the tails, they taste like chicken.

jow yeroc
01-21-2009, 11:02 PM
Exactly! Chicken of the sea!! Do you fancy 'em?

TenTigers
01-21-2009, 11:15 PM
I think I had'em when I was a kid. We used to go fishing off my Dad's boat and off the dock when we went for flounder, and we used to bring up alot of them. When they blow up, you can play catch with them!
We also got alot of sea robins=ugly suckers. Like part fish, part bat, with a boney body. Nobody could eat them, not even the Latino dudes who practically ate everything they caught. These entire families would come down to the docks and catch crabs. One time they gave us some in exchange for some flounder we caught. Added in some fresh picked corn from the farm nearby, and we all went home happy.

Oso
01-22-2009, 06:28 AM
nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo (http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/living/2009/01/21/cruz.ny.buffalo.wing.shortage.wivb)

jow yeroc
01-22-2009, 08:06 AM
I think I had'em when I was a kid. We used to go fishing off my Dad's boat and off the dock when we went for flounder, and we used to bring up alot of them. When they blow up, you can play catch with them!
We also got alot of sea robins=ugly suckers. Like part fish, part bat, with a boney body. Nobody could eat them, not even the Latino dudes who practically ate everything they caught. These entire families would come down to the docks and catch crabs. One time they gave us some in exchange for some flounder we caught. Added in some fresh picked corn from the farm nearby, and we all went home happy.

]
Aww man, you gotta try 'em again!! Light season, dust with flour or corn meal or use beer batter, fry in canola. Very delicate taste, firm meat, kinda tastes like chicken thus the moniker. Most people don't know they are delicious much less edible. they just like the novelty of making the thing puff up. The are actually a delicassy and a little pricey i guess due in part to their seasonal presence.
I was fishing one day for drum and croaker and i hooked a skate(sea bat). I couldn't get the hook out and admittedly was a little scared of the thing so i cut the line and was about to punt him when some old Filipino guy yelled "NO, NO! i'll take it" Apparently the wings taste just like scallops so unknowing consumers should know those scallpos you're eating could be sea bat wing meat plugs. bon appetit.

TenTigers
01-22-2009, 08:19 AM
yeah, they use cookie cutter things to cut out disks and sell them as scallops.
I love scallops...or skate.;)

Oso
01-22-2009, 06:44 PM
anyone happen to have an old family recipe they want to share?

there are tons of them on the net and I've tried several but it would be cool to try something special.

It seems to me that most recipes are something like:

2 parts red wine
1 part fruit juice
some sugar
spices to taste ranging from cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves to whatever.

i made some off the cuff tonight and used a bit of allspice because I didn't have any cloves as well as cinnamon, nutmeg and a dash or two of vanilla extract (immitation)

i just used Ocean Spray's 'no sugar added' pink grapefruit juice as the juice as that was what was in the fridge...oh, and I don't add any sugar

definitely bring it up to temp slow like...no boiling of the vino

David Jamieson
01-22-2009, 07:18 PM
"white clutter"

that is f-ing funny.
I am going to use it!
Only for evil though, I promise.

taai gihk yahn
01-25-2009, 05:30 PM
the El Jimador Reposado and it's very nice, has a honey aftertaste, nice for sipping but also makes a helluva margarita.

so, we tried both the El Jimador and Casadores Reposado and the El J. is, hands down, the winner (although the Casa didn't suck)- very smooth, complex nose (cognac, tart, reminds of the essence of the juice from a succulent-type plant) and taste (honey; and the wif came up with "terpkij" - Russian for, approximately "bitter, the smell of leather in summertime" - best trans. she could come up with) and also packs a real gentle wallop;

Oso
01-25-2009, 05:40 PM
glad you liked it...mmmm...been a while since I've had any myself...

GunnedDownAtrocity
01-31-2009, 10:19 PM
first beer in exactly one month. storm king stout paired with a cohiba. life is ****ing good.

Reverend Tap
02-03-2009, 06:43 PM
Starting in on the habit of having a glass of red wine a day (entirely for the health benefits...uh huh ;) ). We just picked some up today as our supply was out, and I am trying some Colorado Cellar "Eclipse" table wine. Very good, though very very sweet, almost like a port. I didn't even know we had wineries around here until a couple months ago, turns out Colorado's actually putting out some very good stuff. Who knew? :D

Oso
04-01-2009, 05:19 PM
getting ready to fix some good **** for dinner, will post recipe later

meanwhile, this was just too funny not to share...Bruisin Ales is my beer store

http://apollocreedtravels.com/adventures/apollo-drinks-beer-at-brusin-ales/

Oso
05-16-2009, 12:13 PM
the owner of Dogfish Head Brewery is in AVL for the weekend.

there was a tasting at my beer store last night and another event at a bar later tonight

met and chatted with him a short bit

i have a pic but for some reason, the upload thingie isn't opening...maybe later

yu shan
05-16-2009, 03:29 PM
Asheville rocks for beer drinking, wish I could relocate. I need to get over there and visit Oso, will do soon.

GeneChing
09-24-2009, 03:39 PM
I didn't realize it was today and I just happen to be wearing my official Guinness shirt. It must be in my blood.

Arthur's Day: Guinness Marks 250th Birthday (http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/World-News/Guinness-Celebrates-250th-Anniversary-Since-Founder-Signed-9000-Year-Lease-At-Brewery/Article/200909415387740?lpos=World_News_First_World_News_F eature_Teaser_Region_0&lid=ARTICLE_15387740_Guinness_Celebrates_250th_Ann iversary_Since_Founder_Signed_9%2C000_Year_Lease_A t_Brewery_)
12:02pm UK, Thursday September 24, 2009
Vicki Hawthorne, Ireland correspondent

Guinness celebrates its 250th anniversary today, and although the Irish don't really need an excuse to raise a glass, Dublin will be in full swing honouring the company's founder.

Guinness storehouse gates at the St James's Gate brewing site, Dublin

Arthur Guinness signed a 9,000 year lease on the brewery in 1759

The world famous brewer of the "black stuff" is hosting a day of celebrations in Dublin to mark the day that Arthur Guinness signed the 9,000-year lease for his brewery in the city in 1759.

Drinkers of the dark pint are being encouraged to join a world toast to the man who started the company, and at 17:59 this evening everyone is being asked to say "cheers" with a pint.

Speaking on Jeff Randall Live, one of the most prominent members of the brewing dynasty, Jasmine Guinness, told of her pride in her family's contribution to Ireland's economy and society.

"I'm very proud to be a Guinness, obviously, because we've done a lot in 250 years.

"It never really meant much to me when I was younger but as I've gotten older I've realised how much we've done for Dublin and the Irish people as time's gone."

At the celebrations 60 musicians and singers including Tom Jones and Kasabian will be in Dublin to perform at a live music concert at the St James's Gate Brewery.

Cat Deeley and Ronan Keating will be hosting the festivities from the Brewery, as well as Colin Murray, Ed Byrne, model Michelle De Swarte and Michelle Doherty in the four studio venues.

There will also be a series of intimate gigs in more than 30 venues across Dublin, and others around the world.

The Black Eyed Peas are performing in Kuala Lumpur in Malaysia, with other events in New York, Cameroon and Lagos to mark the 250th anniversary.

A pint of Guinness

Pure genius ...

The advertising and branding surrounding the anniversary has gathered huge momentum with more than 6,000 people signing an online petition to make Arthur's Day an Irish national holiday.

The company is also using the celebration to launch the Arthur Guinness Fund as a tribute to the Guinness family's well known acts of philanthropy in Ireland.

Guinness says: "The aim of the fund is to enable and empower individuals with skills and opportunities to deliver a measured benefit to their communities".

Guinness & Co. will donate 6 million Euro (£5.4million) to the new fund.

Becca
07-23-2010, 10:38 AM
It's 55 percent and wrapped in roadkill, is this the world's most 'shocking' beer?
Bodies of squirrels, weasels and a hare used to package ale costing $765 a bottle (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38376048/ns/us_news-weird_news/?GT1=43001)

Oh, my. Visions of Burns Supper just got scarry. Scottish beer packaged in road-kill served with hard-boiled haggis and and clooties...:eek:

Oso
07-23-2010, 12:15 PM
def odd...and PETA is probably none to happy with them...

but, FTR, BrewDog rocks as a brewery...I've had a half dozen or so of their beers and all are very good to great...i didn't much care for the 'smoked' beers they are aging in charred whiskey barrels...but, I don't like smoke flavor in my beer, others do apparently.

It's also amusing to me that a 'craft' brewer is using the same basic process that the major labels do in creating thier 'ice' beers to create this over-the-top ABV level.

Becca
07-23-2010, 12:50 PM
We now have proof that Oso is so into his brews that he knows enough about the brewery to get passed the fact they made beer in dead animals... LOL!:D

Oso
07-23-2010, 01:10 PM
you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it...ya'll can feel free to chip in and buy me one of them...i do have a birthday coming up! :D :p

and, i do have my rep to uphold.... ;)

Becca
07-23-2010, 01:26 PM
you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in itI am so using this form my new sig quote.

GeneChing
10-03-2013, 08:01 AM
...luv it when it comes around to Kung Fu...
It always comes back to Kung Fu.
:)

Eagle Claw Fist Imperial Amber Ale (http://www.clownshoesbeer.com/imperialamber)
Eagle Claw Fist utilizes the same Chico yeast that shaped Hoppy Feet and Brown Angel. Canadian Two Row, English Crystal, and a little English Black Patent malt provide a sweet, balanced backbone. Simcoe, Centennial, and Citra work together to create a unique hop assault, with an intense bitterness that manages to leave your palate in one piece and is harmonized by the flavors of tropical fruits and flowers. The finish is dry.

To quote Suzanne Schalow, of Cambridge Common, “This is your best beer.” Kate Baker, her coworker, said, “I think I might be in love.”

http://www.clownshoesbeer.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/ECF_label_final_450x314.jpg

12 oz Four Packs: coming early March

Dragonzbane76
10-03-2013, 03:30 PM
ummmm.......

http://www.theperfectlyhappyman.com/uploads/bells-oberon.jpg

GeneChing
08-27-2018, 07:17 AM
China now drinks more Budweiser than the US (HTTPS://WWW.BEVERAGEDAILY.COM/ARTICLE/2018/08/16/CHINA-NOW-DRINKS-MORE-BUDWEISER-THAN-THE-US)
16-Aug-2018 By Beth Newhart

https://cdn-a.william-reed.com/var/wrbm_gb_food_pharma/storage/images/publications/food-beverage-nutrition/beveragedaily.com/news/markets/china-now-drinks-more-budweiser-than-the-us/8508916-1-eng-GB/China-now-drinks-more-Budweiser-than-the-US_wrbm_large.jpg

Domestic beer consumption in the US has fallen over the last two decades while China’s interest in American beer has spiked. Budweiser sales finally flipped in China’s favor in the first half of 2018 and the trend is expected to continue.

This buds for you = Zhège méngyá gěi nǐ