PDA

View Full Version : First Pictures EVER of the Clear Cloud Temple in Toi San, China (CHAN TAI-SAN)

Lama Pai Sifu
04-27-2008, 10:10 PM
Ten of us just came back from China today. We had an amazing 8 day trip (Too short).

We did many things, including visiting Chan Heung's orginal house/school (in great condition now, thanks to the resoration efforts of Sifu Wong Doc-Fei), his larger school, the Gin Hoi Hung Sing Choy Lay Fut School , the Fut San Hung Sing Choy Lay Fut School (Where to my suprise, there was a pic of me!), the Wong Fei Hung and Ip Man Museums, the Guandgong Fut San Taoist Temple, Toi San City, Macau and Hong Kong.

The highlight of our trip had to be, hands down - the pilgrimage to the Clear Cloud Temple, high in the mountains of Toi San.

My Si Gung (Jyu Chuyhn) began training there in 1915 and then soon brought his new student, a 13 y.o. Chan Tai-San there in 1930.

As far as can be told at this point, with the help of a local villager, NO ONE has been at the temple since it's two head monks died approx. 60+ years ago. The temple is either 18th or 19th century as far as I know now, but I will being doing more research soon to discover a more specific date or origin. Governmental records, building materials used and even carbon dating (Looked it up, not very expensive at all) will be used to determain the exact age of the temple. Personally, I'd be leaning towards at least 18th century (1700's) if not earlier.

We had to treck up a mountain and clear the old stone step path with a machete. It took over 30 minutes and it became quite clear that no one had been there in decades.

Enjoy these pics, we took over 150 at the temple alone. I will be posting a variety of pics from out trip plus tons of video very shortly.

Oh, by the way - this was the temple that was misread 20 years ago be 2 of my classmates. It is the Clear Cloud Temple, NOT Green C.T. Just in case any of you missed the memos :)

Photos (http://s97.photobucket.com/pbwidget.swf?pbwurl=http://w97.photobucket.com/albums/l212/longislandonline/9432a3d5.pbw)

MORE TO COME!

banditshaw
04-27-2008, 10:35 PM
That must of been an awesome trip. What a great find eh?

Thanks for sharing those pics. Mike.

Peace.

Lama Pai Sifu
04-28-2008, 12:16 AM
That must of been an awesome trip. What a great find eh?

Thanks for sharing those pics. Mike.

Peace.

Yeah, it was! We were no doubt, the first foreigners to ever see this temple. It was an amazing experience.

sanjuro_ronin
04-28-2008, 05:27 AM
Awesome pics and a great collection you have their Mike.
Thanks for sharing.

Dale Dugas
04-28-2008, 08:22 AM
Great photos.

Nice to see you getting into the archeology mode.

lkfmdc
04-28-2008, 08:24 AM
"it was during the war, and my hing-dai, Mike, Chris and I, were staying at an old house in the country. One day, in an empty room, we found an old wardrobe, but in that wardrobe was a door to a fantastic land.... we had found a secret passage to the Clear Coud temple"

sanjuro_ronin
04-28-2008, 08:25 AM
"it was during the war, and my hing-dai, Mike, Chris and I, were staying at an old house in the country. One day, in an empty room, we found an old wardrobe, but in that wardrobe was a door to a fantastic land.... we had found a secret passage to the Clear Coud temple"

I really don't wanna know who was the "female" in this tale :(

banditshaw
04-28-2008, 09:01 AM
Was there a green cloud of smoke going on when you guys walked through the door?:D

WinterPalm
04-28-2008, 09:01 AM
I really don't wanna know who was the "female" in this tale :(

Post a pic then buddy. I need something to get me through this bloody genocide paper I'm writing.

Lama Pai Sifu
04-28-2008, 11:30 AM
I also brought back a whole box of bricks, ceiling tiles, pottery, etc. from it. I have some set aside for a few of my training brothers, while the rest will be put on display in my school. I will post the video of the temple, along with the 30 minute mountain climb (edited down of course) on youtube in a week or two.

Hope everyone liked the pics.

MP

lkfmdc
04-28-2008, 11:49 AM
I had a very strange moment when Mike called me from China, sort of sad really :(

He tells me about the temple, and all these pics he took, and for a second I was going to say "I am sure sifu will love to see them"..... then, of course, I realize that Sifu isnt' with us anymore :(

I'm still glad we found it, but I am sort of somber today

Lama Pai Sifu
04-28-2008, 12:14 PM
Yeah, it was certainly weird when I was there, I was thinking about our teacher....

It was quite an experience for me, a flood of different emotions as you can imagine.

sanjuro_ronin
04-28-2008, 12:19 PM
I am sure the old man would be happy to see his legacy alive and well.

Lama Pai Sifu
04-28-2008, 12:50 PM
I think he'd be more interested in getting his weekly Lotto Tickets if you ask me! LOL

Seriously though, he was never big into the whole 'preservation' thing. He just wanted us to train hard and to teach good students. He didn't care if a pattern of a form changed or moves were added or removed. He cared more about being able to use what you practiced.

On the other hand he was Chinese and did care quite a bit about his country and it's heritage.

Either way, I'm sure he would be happy to know that I visited the temple.

rogue
04-28-2008, 04:46 PM
I also brought back a whole box of bricks, ceiling tiles, pottery, etc. from it. I have some set aside for a few of my training brothers, while the rest will be put on display in my school. I will post the video of the temple, along with the 30 minute mountain climb (edited down of course) on youtube in a week or two.

Hope everyone liked the pics.

MP

So you plundered an ancient temple?
Can't wait to see what you bring back from here.:D
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terracotta_Army

San Soo Sifu
04-28-2008, 05:06 PM
Mr. Michael Parrella,
While you were in China, on your latest visit; were you able to meet with Chan Sai Mo (Chen Shi Wu)? If so, how is he doing, healthwise? Also if so, were you able to get any pictures of yourself with him? Thank you for your time, effort, and consideration.

Lama Pai Sifu
04-28-2008, 06:04 PM
Chan Sai Mo was alive in 2005 but I was told that he was dead now. I do have a new pic of him but I was never able to meet him personally. And the pic I got is from 2006 and he looks like he's over 100 - he was very old!

Peace

Yao Sing
04-28-2008, 06:22 PM
So you plundered an ancient temple?
Can't wait to see what you bring back from here.:D
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terracotta_Army

Speaking of, during one of my trips I found evidence that the Terracotta warriors trained in Wah Lum Kung Fu as evidenced by the flag. :D

David Jamieson
04-28-2008, 06:26 PM
well, get to raising some kizzash to get that dilapidated old ruin cleaned up and running again! :)

lkfmdc
04-29-2008, 08:44 AM
well, get to raising some kizzash to get that dilapidated old ruin cleaned up and running again! :)

Mike didn't want to let it out of the bag yet, but he and I are no OFFICIAL representatives of the temple here in the US. As soon as Chris gives us both a dollar, he will be also.....

Coming soon, OFFICIAL "clear cloud monastery" products, including commemorative plates and ash trays

lkfmdc
04-30-2008, 11:38 AM
my understanding was that only those who poses a piece of roof tile from the monastery are to be considered true representatives of CCM©®™ in the US...in the future, representatives will have to show their piece to be granted admittance to meetings of the council of elders...

Female members can still just flash their ta-ta's :D

lkfmdc
04-30-2008, 11:39 AM
PS, I hear some people are just green with envy at our discovery ;)

sanjuro_ronin
04-30-2008, 11:59 AM

**** disturber.
:D

Lama Pai Sifu
04-30-2008, 01:46 PM

That was wrong, on so many levels.....funny, but wrong.

Yao Sing
04-30-2008, 03:46 PM
Well they cerrtainly aren't "clear" about the discovery.

Sorry, I have no part in this I just couldn't resist the pun.
:p

Lama Pai Sifu
05-01-2008, 03:46 PM
Well they cerrtainly aren't "clear" about the discovery.

Sorry, I have no part in this I just couldn't resist the pun.
:p

HA, that was funny!

lkfmdc
05-02-2008, 11:22 AM
any word on the keychains yet? ;)

Lama Pai Sifu
05-02-2008, 11:39 AM
any word on the keychains yet? ;)

we are going to opt for bobbleheads instead.

MasterKiller
05-02-2008, 11:53 AM
You guys need to step out of the 20th Century.

Might I suggest Wooden Dummie Pen Drives (http://www.thisnext.com/item/F112A3D4/Wooden-Memory-Stick)?

lkfmdc
05-02-2008, 12:19 PM
we are going to opt for bobbleheads instead.

I see the first prototype has arrived from the factory! (http://www.dollysmixtures.com/bobbleheads/monkey.gif)

sanjuro_ronin
05-02-2008, 12:26 PM
Some people....

lkfmdc
05-02-2008, 12:27 PM
Some people....

now she could bob her head for me anytime ;)

sanjuro_ronin
05-02-2008, 12:28 PM
now she could bob her head for me anytime ;)

*rimshot*...pardon the pun.