PDA

View Full Version : Purpose of Seminars

Yao Sing
04-29-2008, 09:27 AM
One of the discussions on the Northern Mantis forum touched on seminars and what you get from them. I was wondering what everyone thought about the purpose of seminars and what you would expect to get from them.

Since the time frame is generally short how much do you feel should be covered?

sanjuro_ronin
04-29-2008, 09:40 AM
Seminars sever many different functions.
They can be intros to a different system.
They can give people of a system a chance to see one of the "great ones" in action.
They can get first hand knowledge of what real skill feels like.
They can "hear it from the horse mouth".
And do on...

WinterPalm
04-29-2008, 01:12 PM
One of the discussions on the Northern Mantis forum touched on seminars and what you get from them. I was wondering what everyone thought about the purpose of seminars and what you would expect to get from them.

Since the time frame is generally short how much do you feel should be covered?

I've never run one, but I imagine having some flow between elements so they are connected in some way would be a good start.

GeneChing
04-30-2008, 05:52 PM
...but making standards on what should be covered is absurd. I've attended and led seminars for years. Each seminar is a crap shoot. Sometimes the class is all complete beginners. Other times, the level is really high. Most of the time, there's a mix - total beginners and some advanced students. As a teacher, that's what makes it really fun. There's a challenge in working with a wide range of students for a short period. You try to convey as much as possible to each attendee whether they are beginner or advanced. It's a real test of your teaching skills.

The purpose of seminars is simple - to share as much information as possible, to spread the word, if you will. If you're a beginner attending a seminar, you just want a taste. If you're advanced, you're probably looking for some sophisticated pointers. As a student, you try to glean as much as possible from any lesson you might attend. I remember taking seminars where the instructor would try to show a complete form. I learned the entire Yu Hai (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=688) mantis form in one day from a Beijing wushu team member. Did I retain it? Hell no. But it was a great workout and I gleaned a move or two that I could incorporate elsewhere. At the same time, I've taken seminars on forms I already know (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44742). In that situation, I'm just looking for the review and some pointers. I've found those are really beneficial.

There's also the aspect of supporting the masters. Obviously, I support my master when he comes out. I try to support other traveling masters as best as I can (of course, there's a limit to what can be done there for someone in my position - after all, part of my income comes from advertising). Perhaps it's not always about what you get. Perhaps it's about what you give.

It's fun to share. :cool: