PDA

View Full Version : You and your style

SPJ
04-30-2008, 01:27 PM
why you like to do what you do?

I will start.

I like baji, the first time I saw it demo'.

I did not know much about it at the time, however, I saw the strike and throw so apparent.

in contrast, mantis, hand work is so fast. it is very tricky to know what is going on.

--

Baji was an instant love affair ever since then.

I posted a lot of threads about baji on this board.

I even started a discussion board.

http://northpine.10.forumer.com/

:D

Mook Jong
04-30-2008, 01:37 PM
For me, CLF was great. I didnt have a whole lot of strength when i started but had size and naturally very loose muscles/joints, so the whipping motion came very naturally to me and being able to just shift weight rather than use power was another nice touch.

golden arhat
04-30-2008, 02:01 PM
i do what i do because i can throw a flying knee land it and be praised for it instead of being thrown out of class :D

David Jamieson
04-30-2008, 02:14 PM
well, hands down it beats being a cheeto eating beer drinking lard ass video gamer.

Pork Chop
04-30-2008, 03:47 PM
I used to be Lost_Disciple on this site...
chose the name because i was moving a lot and had to change schools often.
my traditional training really boils down to 3 major schools.

first school was a bit of a mish mash of different styles; but the hsing yi and the standardized taiji were solid. Aside from those, I got tastes of hung gar, choy li fut, b@stardized 7* mantis, green dragon (new jersey not ohio), and even some tibetan white crane. The "mantis" and the hsing yi were my favorites though I spent a large portion of my time on 24step taiji.

second school was also home to a bunch of styles; though primarily a mantis school (wah lum & 7*). Got exposure to longfist, ching wu forms, eagle claw, yang taiji, and hung ga.

third school was home to jow ga and only jow ga. Lots of lion dancing. Fighting seemed to mostly be about continuous tournament sparring and they didn't want me doing sport stuff. Few disagreements with some of my classmates and i decided it was too much trouble.

privately, I've also tried to train hung ga with 2 friends on 2 separate occasions; but the style just doesn't fit me.

sport wise, got my first taste of sanshou/sanda and boxing in 2001. went back to them (fulltime this time) in 2002~2003. When the sanshou coach stopped showing up I started hitting up muay thai gyms (still working on the boxing). Also played judo for about a month, and BJJ for about 6 weeks (with a real knucklehead coach), till the injuries sidelined me in each. Been basically Muay Thai and boxing (with various amounts of either) since 2004.

Workout with friends whenever I can in traditional or sport stuff.