PDA

View Full Version : so i almost met the RZA today ...

golden arhat
05-02-2008, 12:24 PM
yeah so my teacher who works in this martial arts supply shop downstairs from where we train, anyway danny (my teacher) is in the shop sittin at the till.

and in comes this guy who supposedly looks like the rza, buys about a hundred quids worth of martial arts books,($200) and danny says "hey you know who you look like, you look like the rza" so the guy (in an american accent) says "yeah well..anywayy" and goes back to asking how much whatever book it is he's buying is?

so danny leaves it at that

anyway a few of us come in just after and he tells us the story. we were a bit iffy on the whole was it wasnt it, but then a guy callwed ben tells us that the wu tang clan played last night at the academy.

so yeah

i almost met the RZA :/

sanjuro_ronin
05-02-2008, 12:29 PM
Who?
is that one of them there new do-hickies type people?

golden arhat
05-02-2008, 12:32 PM
Who?
is that one of them there new do-hickies type people?

funny :)

yep

sanjuro_ronin
05-02-2008, 12:32 PM
Never been a fan myself, but I do like how they promote "chinese kung fu" !
:D

golden arhat
05-02-2008, 12:35 PM
Never been a fan myself, but I do like how they promote "chinese kung fu" !
:D

have you heard the first album ?

or is it just a general dislike for all hip hop?

sanjuro_ronin
05-02-2008, 12:39 PM

Perhaps a combination of both.
My hip hop phase died many moons ago.

golden arhat
05-02-2008, 12:41 PM
Perhaps a combination of both.
My hip hop phase died many moons ago.

so you havent heard enter the 36 chambers??
lol thats ashame

and yeah i was going to say
claiming a liking for hip hop and not liking the wu tang clan is like liking metal and not liking metallica

Oso
05-02-2008, 07:09 PM
sanjuro: give the 36 Chambers a listen at least once.

I've never heard the RZA speak in any non music instance where he didn't sound like an idiot though...but a lot of musicians don't sound too smart outside of their area of expertise.

Toby
05-03-2008, 02:42 AM
claiming a liking for hip hop and not liking the wu tang clan is like liking metal and not liking metallicaWell, I don't know hip hop but I used to know metal. Metallica weren't metal after ... And Justice For All, and there've been a lot of albums between then and now.

Oso
05-03-2008, 04:01 AM
thank you, toby. I was trying to figure out how to say that. but, I only have Ride the Lightening and Master of Puppets...I threw away the 'Black' album out of disgust...so I'm not really a Metallica person enough to say it :)

monkeyfoot
05-03-2008, 04:34 AM
Ah sweet as man. I'd love to meet the clan.

I would recommend 36 chambers if you haven't heard it, its a quality album. Forever and Killa Bees is pretty cool too.

These days though I don't really listen to them. The W disappointedly me, iron flag was alright, and the new one sucks.

Cest La Vie

Craig

Shaolin Wookie
05-03-2008, 06:10 AM
Well, I don't know hip hop but I used to know metal. Metallica weren't metal after ... And Justice For All, and there've been a lot of albums between then and now.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

They were carrying on the legacy of Mercyful Fate. People hated 'em because they became popular after the Black Album, which had more radio-worthy songs than the earlier albums (even though all the songs on the earlier albums are quality, excepting Kill Em All). If there's one thing I despise in music fandom, it's how everyone likes the fringe groups, but turns on them when they become popular. For some reason, when a person's kid sister starts to listen to a group he/she once considered "anti-establishment", that person says "they sold out". When, in reality, it is the person that has sold out to an image of themselves as that fringe group rocker. Same thing happened to Nirvana. Same thing happened to Phil Collins.

It's a shame, really.:D

shadowlin
05-03-2008, 07:55 AM
If one thing is true abou tMetallica it's that their best days were after And Justice and their worst after the Symphony bit. I guess they peaked in ability and influence, and got metal ass artistic as possible considering that sound they use.

I personally like several popular bands like Tool, Audioslave, obviously the old 90s bands like Nirvana Pearl Jam Live STP and others.

But these days I just mostly listen to cultural, ambient, or house/trance because I've had enough of the whiny pansy "I hate everything, I'm bleeding, oh help me" rock/nickleback/linkin park crap. PALLEEZE!

Tool is still awesome, bu tI doubt they'll ever be as good as Lateralus again. Only time will tell. At the rate they go, we'll have to wait till May 2012 for their Mayan album or some crap to come out.

I just don't have the patience to care about artists anymore.

Except maybe Tiesto. That's a beastly musician.

Don't know a lot about the RZA except I have a friend that likes their stuff. I don't see the appeal, but he's a martial artist so that may be it.

I think it's more interesting to look at underground bagua movements in black neighborhoods, myself. Like Black Taoist and Lance the Sagacious vids. RZA just doesn't seem real like those guys.

Shaolin Wookie
05-03-2008, 08:00 AM
But these days I just mostly listen to cultural, ambient, or house/trance because I've had enough of the whiny pansy "I hate everything, I'm bleeding, oh help me" rock/nickleback/linkin park crap. PALLEEZE!

LOOOLLLLL!!! That's why I listent more to NPR than alternative stations...LOL....:D

shadowlin
05-03-2008, 08:16 AM
I hate radios and especially radio commercials.

Oso
05-03-2008, 01:29 PM

They were carrying on the legacy of Mercyful Fate. People hated 'em because they became popular after the Black Album, which had more radio-worthy songs than the earlier albums (even though all the songs on the earlier albums are quality, excepting Kill Em All). If there's one thing I despise in music fandom, it's how everyone likes the fringe groups, but turns on them when they become popular. For some reason, when a person's kid sister starts to listen to a group he/she once considered "anti-establishment", that person says "they sold out". When, in reality, it is the person that has sold out to an image of themselves as that fringe group rocker. Same thing happened to Nirvana. Same thing happened to Phil Collins.

It's a shame, really.:D

ok, now that was funny.

monji112000
05-03-2008, 04:47 PM

were you alive when they came out with the first album?

so you havent heard enter the 36 chambers??
lol thats ashame

and yeah i was going to say
claiming a liking for hip hop and not liking the wu tang clan is like liking metal and not liking metallica

I HATE metallica.
WTF are you retarded? 99% of metal fans hate metallica..

They were carrying on the legacy of Mercyful Fate. People hated 'em because they became popular after the Black Album, which had more radio-worthy songs than the earlier albums (even though all the songs on the earlier albums are quality, excepting Kill Em All).
first off Kill em all was the best album they produced. It was the most thrash, the most raw.
Second off people didn't start hating them that much with the black album. Everyone started hating them when they started suing the fans that got them were they are. They seem to forget how they became popular (bootleg tapes).
Metallica is a group of old losers (other than the new bassist he is cool as hell). James sounds the gayest he has ever sounded. Not that I have a problem with being gay, I just don't want to hear a metal song with a gay sounding man. I love priest, and I don't care if Rob is gay.

SifuAbel
05-03-2008, 10:31 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-fLW-QNy4I

Suntzu
05-03-2008, 11:16 PM
sanjuro: give the 36 Chambers a listen at least once.

I've never heard the RZA speak in any non music instance where he didn't sound like an idiot though....
36 = classic...... i think u missed alot in translation...... rza is an intellegent dude.... he just doesn't sound like maybe u would want him to.... maybe.....

Eddie
05-04-2008, 12:13 AM
Few years back on some shaolin forum, RZA came on in defense (I think of Shi Yang Ming), and basically made such a twat of himself. Every second word he typed was some kind of street slang profanity.

I wonder if I can still find the link to that

golden arhat
05-04-2008, 01:43 PM
were you alive when they came out with the first album?

no i dont think so

does it matter??

golden arhat
05-04-2008, 01:44 PM
Few years back on some shaolin forum, RZA came on in defense (I think of Shi Yang Ming), and basically made such a twat of himself. Every second word he typed was some kind of street slang profanity.

would be good

and yeah i dont care about his MA views i just love the music

unkokusai
05-04-2008, 02:48 PM
What the hell is RZA? :confused:

golden arhat
05-04-2008, 02:50 PM

he's from the wu tang clan

monji112000
05-04-2008, 05:31 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVxszUSl_7Y system and rza

old school wu tang http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuA5dDm0f34
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27zhsc_O508&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCw3gcFSP9A&feature=related

Suntzu
05-04-2008, 07:21 PM

and.......

Toby
05-04-2008, 09:49 PM
People hated 'em because they became popular after the Black Album, which had more radio-worthy songs than the earlier albums ...I hated them because they dumbed it down. I really, really liked ... And Justice For All from a technical perspective. It was really interesting and IMHO at their musical peak, full of interesting half beats and tempo changes. It just didn't do it for me like their earlier stuff, nothing to do with jumping on a bandwagon. And I kind of resented them because obviously they had the ability but they seemed to be repressing it to be more accessible. I didn't even mind their ballady stuff if they wanted to do that, like One and Fade To Black. Those songs had wider public appeal than their average song. But to dumb down their bread and butter type songs, the ones that had built their following, meh. They lost me.

Mook Jong
05-04-2008, 10:00 PM
Can we all agree though, St. Anger is arguably the worst thing to hit the metal community since the death of Randy Rhodes?

Eddie
05-05-2008, 12:48 AM
and.......
... nothing. He just came accross as a total a$$. some mioght even say internet troll.

just thought i could ad somehting to an already pointless topic :cool:

BruceSteveRoy
05-05-2008, 07:08 AM
Can we all agree though, St. Anger is arguably the worst thing to hit the metal community since the death of Randy Rhodes?

yes. st. anger, garage inc, reload and load, were so awful i almost spiked my ipod like i just scored the game winning touchdown int he superbowl. someone gave me the albums for free bc i stopped listening to them after the black album. but as i get older i become more open minded to things and figured i would try to appreciate their latter day music and try not to compare it to the earlier stuff. i have thrown those cds away. how did they go from albums like kill em all, ride the lightning and master of puppets to this crap. they covered a bob seager song for ef's sake. anyway, in my mind they broke up shortly after ...and justice due to creative differences and then the record company released the black album by compiling b sides. whether it is the truth or not is irrelevant bc that is how i am choosing to see it. its truthiness at its finest.

monji112000
05-05-2008, 07:33 AM
lol I thought it was the best album they have created in over a decade.
its raw, its real... not bull**** polished radio friendly crap.

brothernumber9
05-05-2008, 08:21 AM
I used to work in my Sifu's supply store. A few of Wu Tang came in a few times, including RZA, UGod, GZA, and ODB. As well as a bunch of other guys on their label like some of Gravediggaz and Sons of Man, I think, or it may have just been some rando relatives or people they knew. It was a little before their first album dropped and then a time after. They were funny. I remember I put an item on hold for one of them and asked for a name, and he said "just put God on it". I just thought, well, that's not too pompous. But after talking a little, they were all really cool. Anyway.

GeneChing
05-05-2008, 09:19 AM
...I spoke on a panel about Martial Arts as a path to non-violence with RZA. See my post on our Hip Hop Chess Federation thread. (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showpost.php?p=854381&postcount=9)

Mook Jong
05-05-2008, 10:04 AM
lol I thought it was the best album they have created in over a decade.
its raw, its real... not bull**** polished radio friendly crap.

I thought it was terrible, actually almost got slapped by a guy in a record store for jokingly suggesting my friend buy the album. Have you heard any of the new stuff? no album yet (i think, i don't keep up on metallica that well) just stuff they've been playing at concerts. I'll try and find the youtube vid of it, it's abysmal

monji112000
05-05-2008, 11:07 AM
I thought it was terrible, actually almost got slapped by a guy in a record store for jokingly suggesting my friend buy the album. Have you heard any of the new stuff? no album yet (i think, i don't keep up on metallica that well) just stuff they've been playing at concerts. I'll try and find the youtube vid of it, it's abysmal

honestly all the people that started liking them from the "black album"(and later) hate that CD..
allot of the other people don't. Its not a clean, shinny studio album.. its not really "metal"... but its good stuff.

I have not heard any of the "new album". I'll give it a chance out of respect for Trujillo.

jow yeroc
05-05-2008, 03:35 PM
I bomb atomically, Socrates philosophies
and hypotheses can't define how i be droppin' these
mockeries, lyrically performed armed robberies,
flee with the lottery,
possibly they spotted me...:D

www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQfVte5nfg0&feature=related

Mook Jong
05-05-2008, 04:46 PM
found that metallica vid

http://youtube.com/watch?v=eBGIQ7ZuuiU