PDA

View Full Version : Lei Tai results

Oso
05-03-2008, 01:23 PM
Sylvia won hers, Akeem lost his.

Luckily they ran our matches early and we left, so a pretty short day all and all.

I'm still not liking the **** headgear.

Akeem has some pretty thick dreads so he has to wear an XL. it's really to big for his face but barely closes around the hair. So, he kept eating the face guard every time his opponent hit him in the face...which was fairly often. The blood driping off the guard was a kind of nice touch though.

vids will be posted eventually in the compilation thread...maybe this weekend if I can all the other stuff I need to get done, done.

yu shan
05-03-2008, 04:49 PM
Props to Miss Sylvia, must have been the mancakes. ;) I look forward to the video.

You`ll probably see Mantid1 post, he loves Lei Tai, cant blame him. What was your opinion about this Lei Tai Oso?

Oso
05-03-2008, 05:16 PM
well, she didn't have her head on straight for Cleveland but she got her game face on for this one. Her opponent has 10-12 years of experience and has fought at the Kuoshu Nationals several times I think (dont' quote me on that). She's always been a tough fighter but Sylvia was the better today.

I don't want to be negative about the event but I'm not sure we're going to do it again. You'll see the clips eventually and I'm just not liking the whole scene. Headgear that isn't really that protective and can injure the person wearing it as well as the opponent because the gloves that are mandated are basically pieces of junk offering no protection to either person either. but, I've said all these things before and knowing it all, still went today. Just not sure about next year.

Akeem needs to work on focus and more conditioning and strength training. He's game and still very new at not yet 18 months of training. His opponent has been training for a while as well but I don't know how long.

Overall, I think San Shou is a safer format and if we keep training hard over the next year we'll do even better in Cleveland next year and then maybe think about expanding out to other events. I'm still very much working on my program as a coach.

cerebus
05-03-2008, 07:36 PM
Hi Oso, where was this? Was it run by the USKSF? I am hoping to fight in the Lei Tai Internationals in Maryland in July myself.

Was there a maximum age limit to fight? I'll be turning 38 on the weekend of the tourney in Maryland and someone informed me that they think the age limit might be 35. I hope not...

Oso
05-04-2008, 04:42 AM
It's supposedly USKSF rules. But, I've never been to Maryland to see how the matches are run so I don't know how close they are adhereing to them. It's in NC and run by CACMA.

i think I've heard of the age limit too but not sure, better check.

cerebus
05-04-2008, 03:28 PM
I would've just gotten a fake ID (to show that I'm YOUNGER than my real age, weird huh?) and fibbed a bit, but I already submitted my membership application before hearing about the age limits, so I can't fake it.

Maybe they'll give me a waiver on the age-limit or something. I'm callin' 'em tomorrow to see...

cerebus
05-04-2008, 03:31 PM
Of course, if I can't compete there it might be a good thing. It'd save me a buncha money that I don't really have yet, and I can just look around & find something here in the SF Bay Area, though I really kinda like the USKSF rules (the face masks on the headgear do suck, but if you train with 'em on a regular basis you get used to 'em).

Oso
05-04-2008, 03:54 PM
yea, competeing is costly.

do they charge you to compete as a 'full contact' fighter?

yes, you can get used to the vision impairment but you still don't have any peripheral to speak of.

In thinking about it today, I've almost decided that we aren't going to compete in Lei Tai any more.

WinterPalm
05-04-2008, 04:41 PM
I was actually training for this last year until, in my 2nd last sparring session, I tore all the ligaments in my left ankle. That sucked.
I was actually attracted to it because of the rule set and the pretty-much lack of gloves. I think that coming from a traditional background with bareknunkle sparring with pulled head shots, this was a nice ease in point for sport fighting. I love the knees, elbows, open palms, hammer fists, etc.
Sadly I didn't get to compete and have since focused on San Da.
I'd like to see the videos though!

cerebus
05-04-2008, 05:14 PM
Tore all the ligaments? Dayum! OW!!

Actually the biggest cost for me would be the plane ticket to the East Coast & back. And with travel costs these days....

Oh, and the doctor's exam/ insurance (which I don't usually have).

WinterPalm
05-04-2008, 09:21 PM
Yeah well, I was going to hop in a mini-van with my team and drive down from Winnipeg Manitoba to Wisconsin.
Here's the clip where it gets messed up.

Note: I did in fact go 6 more 2min rounds after the initial damage was done. I roll my ankles often and didn't think this time was any different. Sadly, I was mistaken.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awOvtE1Bdno

cerebus
05-04-2008, 10:06 PM
Hi Winterpalm. Which one are you in that clip? The guy in green had good agressiveness, but kept his hands WAY low. Lucky he wasn't knocked flat from a combo by his opponent (who wasn't nearly as agressive). Nice endurance from both of you though.

At what point were the ankle ligaments torn? And when it happened.... ****, you just need to acknowledge and stop man. As someone getting close to 40 years old, I can tell ya that every injury you received and THOUGHT had healed as a young man WILL come back to haunt you as you get older....

WinterPalm
05-05-2008, 08:33 AM
I figured I didn't need to say which one I was because at one point one to them is taken down with a brutal ankle twist and takes his time getting up.
I'm the guy in red.
Yes, the guy in green's hands are low, he has been knocked out in practice before.
I prefer aggressive people like that to counter fight with.

Realisitically I should have stopped then and there but it didn't seem too bad and I needed to get the work in. For what it's worth I didn't do the 10 cardio circuit after the sparring.:D

Oso
05-06-2008, 04:44 AM
sylvias fight here

http://forum.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showpost.php?p=859060&postcount=427

cerebus
05-07-2008, 02:52 PM
Thanks for the clips. She's got heart. The longer she stays with it, the sharper & cleaner her fighting will become... :)

Oso
05-07-2008, 02:54 PM
thanks. she's working on it, as am I as a coach.