PDA

View Full Version : Tai Chi to Hung Gar

cam
05-04-2008, 02:22 PM
NO this is not a "Which is better" thread, rather I am looking for information on how the 2 styles are similar and how they differ.
Up until a year ago I was studying Chen Taiji, unable to continue due to distance and shift-work. So I've been thinking of joining a new school...the taiji in the local area is terrible, karate,tae kwon do..no.
Then I found a school that teaches Hung Gar, from what I've found the Sifu is of high skill...Robin Young...and the school is a bransh of Jing Mo, though I think a few schools may go under that name!

Anyway any advice would be welcome
Thanks
Cam

Eric Olson
05-04-2008, 02:27 PM
NO this is not a "Which is better" thread, rather I am looking for information on how the 2 styles are similar and how they differ.
Up until a year ago I was studying Chen Taiji, unable to continue due to distance and shift-work. So I've been thinking of joining a new school...the taiji in the local area is terrible, karate,tae kwon do..no.
Then I found a school that teaches Hung Gar, from what I've found the Sifu is of high skill...Robin Young...and the school is a bransh of Jing Mo, though I think a few schools may go under that name!

Anyway any advice would be welcome
Thanks
Cam

I've studied much more Taiji and Choy Lay Fut than Hung Gar so take what I say with a grain of salt....but the body mechanics in Taiji and Hung Gar are very different.

Hung Gar, from the south, uses a much harder, shorter ging/jin. Taiji is from the north so it is longer and much more fluid.

That being said, good Hung Gar, like all good kung fu, has a fluid quality to it but its not the same kind of fluid as Taiji.

In your case, its probably easier to go from Taiji to Hung Gar, then vice versa, but it will take some adjustment.

Best of luck!

EO

Sifu at Large
05-05-2008, 11:30 AM
Speaking as one who has trained both systems, I feel that you need to not look at the two as being related at all. You trained in Taiji, now you will train in Hung Gar, two separate systems. If someone went from Tang Soo Do to Shotokan, they are practically training the same thing (more or less). Taiji to Hung Gar should be a pretty easy transition, just leave your bags at the door as they say.

Best of luck!

cam
05-05-2008, 02:55 PM
Thanks, helpful and thoughtful comments!
I must admit that I am somewhat concerned in the differing body mechanics. It took me about 5 years just to come to grips with the idea of "whole body motion", at least in a "taiji" kind of way. I wonder how much "baggage" I will have to leave at the door.....though I'm hoping that it won't baggage, rather it will be like going from Chemistry to Physics, different disciplines sharing the same Math.

As to the school itself, the style is Hung Kuen, ( is that different to Hung Gar?) and I haven't heard anything bad about the school though I haven't had a class yet. I 'll have my first class on Wed. so I'll let you know!

Nebuchadnezzar
05-08-2008, 11:15 AM
....As to the school itself, the style is Hung Kuen, ( is that different to Hung Gar?) and I haven't heard anything bad about the school though I haven't had a class yet. I 'll have my first class on Wed. so I'll let you know!

Ok, it's Thursday. Spill it! :cool: