PDA

View Full Version : Wingchunners in Montréal.

Phil Redmond
05-05-2008, 05:32 PM
I'll be in Montréal Friday May 30 and I'll be leaving the following Monday morning for the Mondial de la bière. Hopefully I can meet with some WC people there. Please contact me if you'd like to meet.

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=fr&u=http://www.festivalmondialbiere.qc.ca/&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=1&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3DMontreal%2Bbeer%2Bfest%26hl%3Den%26cl ient%3Dfirefox-a%26channel%3Ds%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26hs%3DmLq%26sa%3DG

Phil

WCFighter
05-08-2008, 11:15 AM
Hello Master Redmond,

I hope you are doing well.

Wow, I didn't even know they had this event in
Montreal.

If I am visiting Montreal around that time, I would definitely
like to meet up with you.

Respectfully,

Dominique

Phil Redmond
05-08-2008, 01:35 PM
Hey Dominique, I'd never heard of it before either. One of Sifu Mazza's students invited me. Since you're from there it would be good if we could hang out.Maybe you could show us around. Let me know if you'll be there. I hope to meet Rene Ritchie there as well.

Jeff Bussey
05-09-2008, 09:31 AM
Ah the beer festival as us english say it :D

We like to celebrate beer, it's what we do. If you like scotch and whiskeys they have a tent for that as well. They used to sell glass steins that are larger than the sampler cups and for the same amount of tickets, they'll fill your stein instead of the cups. You should pick one up if they still do that.

Wish I could go, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

:D

couch
05-09-2008, 11:00 AM
Ah the beer festival as us english say it :D

We like to celebrate beer, it's what we do. If you like scotch and whiskeys they have a tent for that as well. They used to sell glass steins that are larger than the sampler cups and for the same amount of tickets, they'll fill your stein instead of the cups. You should pick one up if they still do that.

Wish I could go, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

:D

We're going to have to plan a get-together for us Eastern Canadians soon...there's quite a few on the boards, etc.

Of course, I'll bring some Keith's. :)

Phil Redmond
05-09-2008, 11:15 AM
Keith's . . lol. Yeah, I love Canada. :) I'm not a hard liqour guy but a beer or three is all good. I'll make sure to bring a couple of those Steins back too.

couch
05-10-2008, 06:21 AM
Keith's . . lol. Yeah, I love Canada. :) I'm not a hard liqour guy but a beer or three is all good. I'll make sure to bring a couple of those Steins back too.

I'm a Guiness fan myself. It's pretty much a meal in a can.

...plus, from a Chinese Medicine perspective, it's great for Blood Deficiency. :) At least that's what I keep telling myself.

WCFighter
05-27-2008, 10:05 AM
Master Redmond,

Looks like work is going to keep me from joining you in Montreal.

An area to visit is on St-Catherine's Street and Crescent Street area.
Some good restaurants/pubs/clubs.
(In this area: Hard Rock Cafe, Newtown (named after the famous Grand Prix racer Gille Villeneuve), and "Weinstein & Gavinos") I am not a fan of Hard Rock Cafe restaurants.

Montreal is known for smoked meat sandwhiches :

Very famous : Schwartz's Deli
http://www.schwartzsdeli.com/index2.html
(Not in St-Catherine's/Crescent area, but worth visiting)

Montreal is also known for steamed hotdogs and poutine (fries, cheese, gravy)
You can find these at any ma & pa restaurants on St-Catherine's.

Drink well, eat well, and have fun !

Phil Redmond
05-27-2008, 10:49 AM
Master Redmond,

Looks like work is going to keep me from joining you in Montreal.

An area to visit is on St-Catherine's Street and Crescent Street area.
Some good restaurants/pubs/clubs.
(In this area: Hard Rock Cafe, Newtown (named after the famous Grand Prix racer Gille Villeneuve), and "Weinstein & Gavinos") I am not a fan of Hard Rock Cafe restaurants.

Montreal is known for smoked meat sandwhiches :

Very famous : Schwartz's Deli
http://www.schwartzsdeli.com/index2.html
(Not in St-Catherine's/Crescent area, but worth visiting)

Montreal is also known for steamed hotdogs and poutine (fries, cheese, gravy)
You can find these at any ma & pa restaurants on St-Catherine's.

Drink well, eat well, and have fun !

Thx, for the info. Sorry you can't make it. I will check out the deli and definitely the poutine.

Liddel
05-27-2008, 11:06 PM
Thx, for the info. Sorry you can't make it. I will check out the deli and definitely the poutine.

Careful Phil last time i was in Montreal i got fairly hammered at the Peel pub on beer and poutine, stuff looks the same when it comes up :rolleyes::D:p

DREW

Phil Redmond
05-28-2008, 12:21 PM
Careful Phil last time i was in Montreal i got fairly hammered at the Peel pub on beer and poutine, stuff looks the same when it comes up :rolleyes::D:p

DREW
Thx, Drew. I can see the poutine looking the same going down and coming up. I think I'll just stick with La Fin du Monde and some other local beers. Robert Chu signed one of my copies of CWC. Rene said he's sign it for me as well so that's a plus.
Phil

reneritchie
06-02-2008, 04:12 AM
Absolute pleasure to meet up and you and your friends, Phil. True gentlemen with killer senses of humor. Hope they weren't too shocked to find out we have electricity up here in frozenland!

Sadly, while Phil's friends and I chowed down on le Smoke Meat and vinegary fries (not sure if Poutine was in the area?), Phil claimed to be full on Mexican food (which I'm not even sure we sell in Montreal).

His friends did say that after 20-30 more gourmet "home brews" (whatever those are), they would stick a Poutine in front of him and tell him it was a fajita or something...

BTW- The legends of Phil being around 20 years old are true. He claims he's older, and has the worst fake ID ever to prove it, but if he's even legal for the Beer festival, then he has a very old looking painting hiding somewhere in the attic of his Kwoon...

Hope we see you again around Jazz Fest time!

couch
06-02-2008, 05:49 AM
Absolute pleasure to meet up and you and your friends, Phil. True gentlemen with killer senses of humor. Hope they weren't too shocked to find out we have electricity up here in frozenland!

Shhh! Don't tell them that we have electricity in our igloos!

Any pics to post?

Best,
Kenton

Phil Redmond
06-03-2008, 06:34 AM
Hi René
Acutally I did eat Mexican food at this place. lol
http://mexibec.com/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1
It was great meeting you. Thanks for signing my copy of Complete Wing Chun. Now I have yours and Robert's "autographs" in my book. :)
After you left I went back to the festival and heard a song I liked called "Dans la Capitale" by Mes Aieux. Of course I didn't know the name of the song when I heard it so I went to the DJ to ask him. I was hoping he spoke English. It turns out that he was from Brooklyn. I told him that I lived in Brooklyn for almost 30 years. I mentioned that I go to Chinatown to teach kung fu on Sundays. He said he studied Wing Chun years ago. It turns out that he was Victor Parlati's student and was trying to find him. I dialed Victor's so the two could talk.
Victor must have been really shocked hearing and old student's voice on my cell. Especially since we were in Montréal. Small world eh??

Anyway, I got to hang out in the DJ booth and drink free beer. ;)
The DJ also gave me the names of some French Hip-Hop groups. I was supposed to go to HVM to but some CDs but we didn't have time.

Maybe we can meet for the Jazz festival and some Wing Chun.
Oh, we went to Orange Julep for some Poutine that evening. There are probably better place for Poutine but we all loved it. We also walked up to the cross and took pictures. I really liked the city. It seems like I have to learn French now. :D
Phil

Phil Redmond
06-03-2008, 06:46 AM
Shhh! Don't tell them that we have electricity in our igloos!

Any pics to post?

Best,
Kenton
When I lived in Detroit I went to Canada at least 4 days a week. As you know Canadians can get American TV on cable. I was once on the phone with a friend who was in Saskatchewan at the time. She told that there was something happening in Detroit and to turn to channel 4 news.
We watched the news together when I realized that she was in a Candian Province above Montana yet she was able to watch TV in Detroit, Boston, L.A., NY., or anywhere in the States depending on what cable package she paid for. Americans don't have that option. Hence, Canadians know more about America that we do about Canada. In fact, I've found that Canadians know more about America that most Americans. Some Americans don't know how many States we have. I know you've seen these Rick Mercer interviews.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seYUbVa7L7w&feature=related
I took the tunnel bus to Windsor which takes about 5 mins. It was summer time and hot in Detroit. When we got across the border an American woman said where is the snow? There were Americans and Canadians on the bus. I embarrassingly looked away and slithered off the bus. :(
I'll resize some pics and upload them later on today.

Phil Redmond
06-03-2008, 01:12 PM
Some pics. The last one is of me and Victor's student Matt.