PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars: The Clone Wars

vingtsunstudent
05-15-2002, 09:39 AM
just got back from seeing it.
very average i'm sorry to say, although i do believe that there are die hards who will disagree.
vts

sean_stonehart
05-15-2002, 09:49 AM
it's ok... I saw the first one (Episode IV) 17 or 18 times as a kid. I' not looking for earthshattering stuff, just a continuation of the story & good action. I've got tickets for 1000 am tomorrow & 1000 pm tomorrow night.

Natalie Portman is a plus, but you know... :D

red5angel
05-15-2002, 10:19 AM
VTS - How dare you you basstard!!! Just kiddin ya! Any movie that comes out, whether cult flick or what is going to get some negative reaction. I just read an interview with Lucas who said that he knows its impossile to please all the people all of the time, very cool. He says the most important thing is not numbers for opening weekend (He chose to only open the movie in digital capable theaters which will kill his numbers) but to tell a story on the big screen.
I for one look forward to it big time! I get to see it tonight.

Budokan
05-15-2002, 12:01 PM
Here's what's in the movie: light saber fights, a chase, starships, a princess and funny looking aliens.

Yep, you've seen it all before. Don't waste your time again.

Suntzu
05-15-2002, 12:05 PM
are the fights even somewhat better than TPM… I'm not gonna go see it until the crowds die down… so I guess maybe in 2 weeks…

Thomas Chen
05-15-2002, 12:18 PM
Hi fellow Jedi and Sith Lords

Wow !!! I had also just watched the midnite premier of Episode 2...... The film rocks and kicks butt, especially the finale. Nope, I am not gonna give out any spoilers. But it was really nice to contemplate the belly button of Padme Amidala aka Natalie Portman in that stylish white outfit with bare midriff...She looks so sexy and beautiful in the movie. I'll rate the movie 4 out of 5 stars, as for Natalie, she'll get 5 out of 5 stars.....

I am willing to bet 10 bucks that the old Boba Fett toys and stuff would almost immediately see an increase in price, due to Jango and Boba. Think I will also start picking up my katana and practice a few fancy moves from the movie....

All in all, an excellent movie, with overwhelmingly superior graphics and action than Episode 1.. the battle scenes are incredible.......though the dry dialogue, static / boring camera angles and bland / muted background music in the first half of the movie may force some of you Jedi to defect to the Dark side of the Force and join Darth Sidious as apprentices ............. I have already defected. Nevertheless, kudos to Master Jedi George Lucas for a wonderful film.

The Dark Side of the Force is always with us...

Darth Thomas
15th generation disciple / apprentice of Darth Sidious
Sith Lord Academy

" It is your Destiny....."
Darth Sidious / Emperor Palpatine

red5angel
05-15-2002, 12:20 PM
Budokan - isnt that what made the movies great?!

Seriously though, I think people just dont get it sometimes. The problem was when the original A New Hope Came out it was an effects blockbuster and it was new, fresh. The 2nd movie was awesome it had a little of everything! Now people are expecting to be wowed like when they were little but we get an overdose of special effects now, so no big surprises there.
Personally I am just a fan of the picture Lucas has painted, its a wonderfully rich universe with movies, books, tv shows and cartoons. an interesting escape from my real life sometimes. I didnt get into martial arts when I was younger because of Bruce Lee, I got in because I wanted somehow to become a Jedi Knight, rescue the princess' and fight the bad guy in a battle to the death! thats why I enjoy the hell out of the movies now! what Budokan says just about sums it up, nothing real new about it but this is what started it all! This is where all that stuff came from! In hollywood anyway, two movies came out that year that set a yardstick by which movies like them are measured, Star Wars and science fiction and Alien and scifi horror.
I say go, be a kid again and enjoy it for what it is, a trip into a fantasy world that has a lot of depth, like a good painting......

sean_stonehart
05-15-2002, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by Budokan
Here's what's in the movie: light saber fights, a chase, starships, a princess and funny looking aliens.

Yep, you've seen it all before. Don't waste your time again.
Yep, yep, nope(she's a senator now, queen last one, daughter becomes a princess), yep

Exactly... we've seen it all before, what more do you need? :)

GreyMystik
05-15-2002, 12:43 PM
what do you mean defect.... it's all about vader and the dark side ;)
one of the best villains of all time

shaolinboxer
05-15-2002, 01:53 PM
The frightening thing is if you ask young kids, say 5-8 ish, who their fave character was, many many of them will say jar jar binks.

The horror of this character to us will be the joy of the next generation of kung fu web geeks.

In 20 years time we will all be reading essays on the genious of Jar Jar and Ep 1.

Sho
05-15-2002, 01:55 PM
I'm going to go see it this weekend. Can't wait.

Episode I was alright to be honest, eventhough quite many disagree and when it first came out I didn't like it either, so. At least Episode II hasn't been hyped as much as EP1.

Budokan
05-16-2002, 06:27 AM
"At least Episode II hasn't been hyped as much as EP1." --Sho

What f*cking cave did you just crawl out of...?

:D

Sho
05-16-2002, 06:32 AM
Budokan,

It is certain that EP2 hasn't been hyped as much as EP1. Really! :) I mean, it has been hyped but not as much as Phantom Menace.

ReverendTim
05-16-2002, 12:02 PM
Just got back from Episode II...

I hated Phantom Menace...*hated* it. And wasn't crazy about the last 1/3 of Jedi, either.

I don't want to spoil anyone's experience, but let me just say that after some initial hesitation, I *loved* Episode II. Some beautiful photography, some redemption of some of the bad stuff from Phantom, some GREAT action scenes, and a whole crapload of GOOD SCREENWRITING, plot-wise. Dialogue-wise...well, I'll let you make up your own mind, but man, oh, man, this was a well-structured movie and WAY better than the last one.

Finally, a good installment to the Star Wars franchise...

--
Rev. Tim

SanShou Guru
05-16-2002, 12:05 PM
Best Movie I saw today.

Budokan
05-16-2002, 12:26 PM
Then it must have been the only movie you saw today.

KC Elbows
05-16-2002, 01:21 PM
Saw Attack of The Clones last night. Bought three tickets, my family came down with strep throat, so I said "Screw you people!" and went to the theatre.

The theatre was in the outskirts of civilization, a place known as Lee's Summit, and you have never seen a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. So I felt right at home.

First were the previews. The new Matrix movie, Men In Black 2, and some Disney cr@pola.

The little kid behind me kept kicking the back of my chair and making fun of my black armored outfit. I took off my helmet and revealed my scarred hideous face, which made him cry. I love to make children cry! Then I used my dark powers to choke his mother until Grand Moff Tarkin made me stop before the ushers saw and threw us out.

There are two things to remember when watching this movie. Jar Jar Binks does not show up much, and that amidahla(sp?) lady shows up often and well. At one point, she is in something I can only describe as dominatrix formal wear. Well, she's barely in it. And that's good.

Meanwhile, annakin and obi wan are busy seeing who can have the worst rat's tail. By the end of the film, there is no clear winner.

Samuel Jackson, AKA Mace Windu, is trying hard to not seem like he's about to do a monologue on Cajuna Burgers.

Yoda is suspicious. Worse, he is training a bunch of kids who the viewer knows are either going to die in the next film, or possibly, die before the next film, which is good. To be honest, there was not one good jedi among these kids, and even if they managed to harness their anger and unleash their hatred and all that, they'd still suck.

Here are some of the weak areas of the movie:

-Too much of the dialogue is straight from the original movies. Some repitition is well used, but some is overkill.

-The dialogue, like most of these movies, only reaches a near natural state in the latter half of the film.

-Amidahla's(sp?) ship is too shiny and pristine, which makes it slightly hard to think of as real. In the original movies, ships were carefully crafted to include some wear. This fundamental was missed in relation to this one ship. The effect is not terrible, simply not up to par with the rest of the movie.

-Jar Jar Binks is in it. However, on the plus side, he is seen to be a total tool.

Here are some of the plus sides of the movie:

-Dominatrix formal wear.

-Lots of jedi fighting with light sabres, and some of them dying.

-Its interesting to see Yoda in a politically charged scenario.

-Death.

-Great sound and special effects.

-The travelling Fetts.

-The end. Great setup for the next movie.

All in all, I gave Star Wars Episode II: Attack of The Clones five Boba Fetts out of five. If you don't like Star Wars movies, you won't like this one, either, but who the hell cares about you, anyway? If you're looking for a movie that will have you harnessing your anger, giving in to hatred, and embracing the dark side of the force, this is the one. What's especially nice is that the theatres are providing storm troopers at the screenings so that you can get out of the theater and treat them like the underlings they are.

Whether or not you kill all the people dressed as jedis as part of your bid for Sith Lordship is completely up to you, just don't get in my way in the popcorn line.

For those who don't like Star Wars movies, I recommend that you stay at home with your significant other, get some zinfandel and exotic oils, promise them the most romantic experience ever, and watch Naked Lunch. I guarantee you'll get some. Really.

Star Wars hating losers.

ReverendTim
05-16-2002, 01:37 PM
KC,

I agree about the dialogue. So far, my scriptwriting career has amounted to one episode of one cartoon for Nickelodeon and a truly miserable screenplay kept in a locked desk drawer, but even I was like, "One more draft! Why, Jesus, why? Why not one more draft? NOBODY talks like that, no matter what planet they're from."

I disagree with you about Amidala's ship, though. I like the fact that the ships are pristine. It provides a nice counterpoint to the beat-up nature of the galaxy one the Empire takes over. A nice visual reminder that the Republic is good, the Empire is bad.

SHAMELESS SELF PROMOTION:
If anyone from the New England area likes this kind of discussion, come out at the The Grand High Council of All Things True at the Comedy Studio on the second Thursday of every month.

Check our mailing list/discussion at http://groups.yahoo.com/GrandHighCouncil

END SHAMELESS SELF PROMOTION

I'm not sure WHO helped Lucas do this movie, but whoever they are, they deserve our unabahsed thanks for the de-suckification they performed.

--
Rev. Tim

KC Elbows
05-16-2002, 01:53 PM
I see your point with the ships.

On the dialogue, I'm not sure its just scripting problems. Episode I had the same problem. It seems like there is something happening in the organization of the movie that prevents the actors from acclimating to their characters until half way through. There was some weird dialogue, but even the easy stuff early on was unconvincing. Then, later, they came together.

I agree partially on the desuckification. R.S. Salvatore wrote the book adaptation, I'm wondering if he helped with the script as well.

At the same time, I knew this one would be better than Episode I, in the same way Empire was an improvement on Star Wars. The story was going to get darker and more complicated, which makes for better story.

BTW, I was very surprised that I liked the last light sabre duel.

respectmankind
05-16-2002, 02:45 PM
well, now i might see it. after tpm i decided no more for me, ever. but meh. anywho, the real reason i want to see it is the matrix sequel preview.

joedoe
05-16-2002, 04:35 PM
To be fair, TPM wasn't that bad a movie - it just didn't live up to the Star Wars standard (and it was way too marketing focussed).

I haven't seen SWII yet, but from the clips it looks great. I am looking forward to it.

Felipe Bido
05-16-2002, 07:57 PM
Yoda definitely kicks ass... that's the best part of the movie...and the clones blasting away in the clouds of smoke is very impressive, too.

respectmankind
05-16-2002, 08:03 PM
now i am so excited about the movie... just because of the previews. can you say 8.50 for a quick view of the matrix?

ReverendTim
05-16-2002, 08:10 PM
If that's really all you're going for, you can download the trailer from thematrix.com

--
Rev. Tim

kungfu cowboy
05-16-2002, 08:14 PM
"Bill, could you rub some of this powder on my lips."--Gotta love that typewriter in Naked Lunch!

Ky-Fi
05-16-2002, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by ReverendTim
KC,

but even I was like, "One more draft! Why, Jesus, why? Why not one more draft? NOBODY talks like that, no matter what planet they're from."

--
Rev. Tim

Well, for the record I liked Phantom Menace a lot, and I thought Clones was OK. But I have to agree with the good Reverend on this one. With both these movies, for all the countless hours spent coming up with some of the most amazing sci-fi images ever put on film, why the heck couldn't they spend 15 minutes slightly rewriting the dialogue to make it sound natural, or have the actors do a few additional takes until it comes out better? We're almost forced to believe that Lucas is giving them direction like "no, you've got to be stiffer and less human when you say that line.".

Anyways, seeing classic ol' Christopher Lee cruising over the landscape on his speeder bike was worth the price of admission for me :).

anton
05-16-2002, 11:51 PM
Something my friend told me the other day:

His kid cousin had advanced cancer (can't remember where, i htink it was something weird like tongue cancer - ???). Any way the doctors predicted he would die about a monthe before Episode II was released. He was approached by people from the Starlight Foundation (a non-profit organization that grants the wishes of terminally ill children) and asked him what he wanted. Being a big Star Wars fan he said he would like to see Episode II... they told him they'd try their best, they called him up and explained the situation and asked whether he'd let the kid watch EpII if they flew him down - George flatly said "No" and that was that. Anyway the dudes dead now and he never got to watch it.

respectmankind
05-17-2002, 12:30 AM
i hope that isn't true, but even if it isn't the though disgusts me. i am now angered. conan must lift metal and relieve primative side.

anton
05-17-2002, 01:31 AM
I'm pretty sure its true - he's not the type of guy that would make something like that up. The guy is a big Star Wars fan as well, and he's still going to watch it.

Repulsive Monkey
05-17-2002, 11:26 AM
Episode 3 will be much more exciting especially as Yoda and Obi Wan die in it. Those who know will figure it out!!

KC Elbows
05-17-2002, 11:48 AM
RM,

Yoda and Obi Wan die in it? How, weren't they alive in the original trilogy?

Wait, is this why they dissapear when they die in Star Wars(Obi Wan) and Return(Yoda)? I heard someone say there was an explanation for that, but I never heard it. Now I can't remember if Qui Gon(sp?) from episode I dies normally, or "diisapeared".

Suntzu
05-17-2002, 11:50 AM
i think he just falls to the floor…

KC Elbows
05-17-2002, 11:53 AM
I think you're right.

Interesting, in a geeky sort of way.

So, in that scenario, luke was taught by two ghosts.

Suntzu
05-17-2002, 11:59 AM
luke was insane and only believe he was taught by 2 ghosts… he choped the guys hand off at the bar and did the mind trick on the sorm troopers and crashed his ship into a desserted planet and trained by himself… Luke was a nutcase… and how old was Padme supposed to be in EP 1, cuz she sho is robbin the craddle...

red5angel
05-17-2002, 12:10 PM
AWESOME MOVIE!!!! I loved it, best one yet!

Yoda IS a Jedi master!

Anton - dude, do you believe everything you read on the internet? If you do I have some land to sell you in antarctica. Its on a hot spring so its alot warmer then the rest of the continent and I imagine it is going to be a hot bed for vacationers.

Repulsivemonkey - I would guess not actually. In some of the older books/comic books etc they implied the Clone Wars was called that because the Jedi and the Sith were cloning themselves, like that Crappy Azz Tim Zahn book (dont even get me started on that garbage.). ITs calle dthe clone wars for the very reason you saw in Episode II, there is an army of clones raised by the republic. What I find ironic is that in the past that rumor has spread even though the Stormtroopers, all clones themselves, were running around!

Felipe Bido
05-17-2002, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by Suntzu
luke was insane...he choped the guys hand off at the bar and did the mind trick on the sorm troopers and crashed his ship into a desserted planet and trained by himself… Luke was a nutcase…

Er...that was "A beautiful Mind" with Russell Crowe :D

Taomonkey
05-17-2002, 01:55 PM
* When Anakin and Padmé arrive on Naboo, you'll spot three Millennium Falcons in the background and at the docking station.

* When Yoda is meditating and Anakin is killing the Tusken Raiders, listen for the voice of Qui-Gon Jinn, Anakin's old master.

* When the clones attack and the evil Count Dooku is fleeing Geonosis, keep an eye out for a cameo of the Death Star.

* Remember the royal guards from Return of the Jedi? The red-cloaked personal protectors of the emperor make a background appearance in Clones, but keep an eye out. They're there for only a second.

* During the chase scene in Coruscant, Anakin and Obi-Wan zip by different billboards with strange writing. The writing is in a style called Aurabesh and corresponds with our own alphabet. Fans with much time on their hands have already begun trying to translate them.

* While the end credits scroll along, look for the name ''Michael Smith.'' Mr. Smith is credited as ''Javva the Hutt.'' He's not a character in the film; he's the guy who got coffee for the cast and crew.

* The ceiling of the dining room at the Lars homestead -- which will become Luke Skywalker's future residence -- on Tatooine has a pattern similar to the tattoo on the mug of Darth Maul, the bad guy from Phantom Menace.

* The shaaks -- the cow-like creatures that are roaming Naboo -- became the butt of jokes among Lucasfilm special-effects wizards. You can find one floating in an asteroid belt, and another is on fire in the final, climactic battle scene.

red5angel
05-17-2002, 02:00 PM
Also, watch for the symbol on the side of the gunships and on the side of the jedi starfighter. Its also on some of the clones armor.....
Palpatines throne looks awefully familiar too. ;)

Taomonkey
05-17-2002, 02:23 PM
do you think it was a cowinkidink that the most hated character ever Jar Jar Binks, made teh call to give the Emperor, the power to raise an army?

Felipe Bido
05-17-2002, 02:34 PM
Taomonkey, did you heard the last "Noooo" after Qui Gonn's voice?...that's Darth Vader's breathing...cool...

And check Padme's chest when she's in the ship, flying to Geonosis...yeah, the space is cold :D

Taomonkey
05-17-2002, 02:36 PM
Bido, yeah I noticed that her nips were a little off center on her suit

red5angel
05-17-2002, 02:39 PM
Actually Taomonkey, I read an interview with GL and he said it was planned before Phantom came out. He said it would be ironic that this fun loving, gentle, silly, but clumsy person would make the biggest mistake in teh history of the republic.

HuangKaiVun
05-17-2002, 05:51 PM
In exactly one hour, I shall go to see this movie.

I'll say this: Hearing Haydn Christensen on radio commercials blather his way lamely through his lines made me want to chop him down with MY lightsaber.

Natalie Portman is the WRONG ACTRESS for this part. In the 1st Phantom Menace, she was so unconvincing that she made Bill Clinton seem LEGITIMATE. This is "Star Wars", not "The Gilmore Girls" or "Poofy the Vampire Layer".

I found out today that Carrie Fisher (Princess Leia) was only NINETEEN when she shot "New Hope". It's hard for me to believe that the same George Lucas who chose Fisher to be Leia (could a better actress have been chosen for Leia?) chose the miscasted Portman to be Leia's MOTHER!!! Talking about kids rebelling against their parents!

Does anybody else find it unsettling that the technology of the Episodes 1/2 just doesn't match up with the technology of Episodes 4-6? I'd have been happier if they cut back on the special effects, stuck in MORE acting, and kept the scenes consistent with the "Star Wars" look of the last 3 movies.

Whatever. In an hour, I'll come back likely the worse for wear. May the Force be with me as I sit through this.

anton
05-17-2002, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by red5angel

Anton - dude, do you believe everything you read on the internet? If you do I have some land to sell you in antarctica. Its on a hot spring so its alot warmer then the rest of the continent and I imagine it is going to be a hot bed for vacationers.

I didn't hear it on the internet, my firend personally told me the stor about his cousin, face to face. Why did you assume I read it on the internet? - I do have a life outside it :D. FOr the record, I'll still go watch it.

HuangKaiVun
05-17-2002, 10:23 PM
Even the Force couldn't have saved this movie.

If I had a lightsaber, I'd start by cutting down Anakin and Padme, whose hokey juvenile romance isn't even worthy of 5th grade puppy love.

Christopher Lee as Dooku was ANEMIC. He's too nice a guy to play that bad guy role, though he does have some nice arrogant moments. Where's Anthony Hopkins?

I wasn't impressed with Frank Oz as Yoda, actually. Why should the voice be so active when the body is so infirm? The puppet Yoda was vastly superior to the digital one - except in the final fight scene of course.

But I did really like Ian McDiarmid as Palpatine, who knows how to really appear innocent and guilty at the same time. How fitting it is that the best actor in these "Star Wars" series gets to play the part of the most malevolet villain?

The only nonPalpatine guy I liked in the movie was little Boba Fett. That was the only guy who really showed the Dark Side. HE should've been Anakin Skywalker in Episode 1.

Repulsive Monkey
05-18-2002, 01:27 AM
you're right only Kenobi and Yoda dissappear out of all the Jedis when killed, as the arena scene will qualify, and Qui Gon Jin retained his physical body when kill.

KungFuGuy!
05-18-2002, 04:05 AM
Cultural changes. When they were first made, people didn't want to see dead bodies. These days we just can't get enough :D
Huang, it's obvious that you already had your mind made up about the movie before you even saw it. You, and others on this thread are being far too critical. The acting wasn't *that* bad, and the fact that you criticized Christopher Lee's acting completely voids your opinion.
Again, you guys are being too hard. The movie had good effects, good action, a good story, a beautiful girl, and plenty of pleasant surprises. What more can you ask for?

premier
05-18-2002, 04:39 AM
I wish I could erase my mind and watch the new episodes without the burden of the first 3.

Anyway. I hated those god**** "videogame" scenes like the one in the droid factory. It had nothing to do with the story and it broke the rhytm of the movie.

Ky-Fi
05-18-2002, 07:57 AM
Well, I totally agree with HKV that Portman was miscast--she just has no range, or at least Lucas isn't getting it out of her.

And I also agree with Premiere about that factory scene---in fact, after the movie, my friend said something about R2 flying in that scene, and I HONESTLY did not remember seeing that at all---my mind must have totally wandered from the movie a that point.

I thought Annakin was fine---I liked his impatience and just generally being out of sync with the Jedi mindset. The Fetts were great, and I thought Christopher Lee was perfect. I think Annakin going after the Sandpeople was great, but that should have been a bigger, more pivotal sequence in film, IMO. The Coliseum scene was really where Lucas shined.

I think I was more visually "wowed" by Phantom Menace and I liked the brighter, more colorful, upbeat look of that one better, but this movie had its moments.

I just enjoy these for what they are, and I don't get too nostalgiac over the originals. Now, I love SW and Empire, but I still hold that Jedi had the most cringe-inducing moments of the series.

HuangKaiVun
05-18-2002, 08:51 AM
I can ask for a heck of a lot more, kungfuguy!

Lee totally doesn't have the malevolence necessary to play the "Tyrannus" role. All you have to do is look at the way Peter Cushing played "Grand Moff Tarkin" to see what a bad guy SHOULD act like. Even the other starfleet commanders in Episode IV were meaner and nastier than the lovable Christopher Lee was. Any one of those guys would've been more effective than the po-lite Lee in that part.

Lee does have some great moments of evil taunting and scowls during the Obi-Wan fight. Then again, he sounded absolutely lost when he said to Yoda "It seems we must settle this with light-saber".

Hayden Christensen doesn't know the bitter taste of oppression.

The fake scowl he wears throughout the movie is utterly unconvincing to one who has worn such a scowl through most of his life. He's juvenile, I'll give him that. But he doesn't have the inner RAGE and it's obvious to one who DOES.

Personally, I'd been happy if the "primitive" technology of "Empire Strikes Back" were used. Isn't anybody bothered by the fact that the technology in Episodes 1/2 is so vastly more sophisticated than that in Episodes 4-6?

Similarly, I wish that the quality of shooting had been kept consistent through the 5 episodes. I was against the changes made by Lucas on the original 4-6 episodes, as I felt that they were totally out of place with the more primitive background technology.

The goal in this movie clearly was to disguise the actor's inabilities with technology. It's the same way every actor or actress has plastic surgery nowadays because otherwise they wouldn't be beautiful enough for the screen.

Less technology. More acting.

premier
05-18-2002, 09:35 AM
I don't think Count Dooku was even supposed to be all evil like the stereotypical evil guys you're obviously thinking of. Christopher Lee isn't kind of actor that would play the role wrong.

And don't forget most of the film was shot against blue background in a studio and a lot of dialog had to be done without anyone to speak to, because of the digitally made characters. This makes acting extremely hard.

I think they made awesome job with the fight scenes. Count Dooku vs. Yoda was unbelievable =)

KC Elbows
05-18-2002, 12:43 PM
Huang,

I can agree with you on Annakin's acting, though I felt Lee did an adequate job.

However, the technology issue I have to disagree with. It assumes a constant evolution and no deevolution in terms of technology, and that viewpoint comes from our times.

The republic was the golden age during which all the things in the original trilogy were invented, including the empires ships, the death star, and everything else. Amidahla's ship is not the ship of someone assisting a major rebellion, it is a pristine piece of luxury.

Star wars, Empire, and Return take place in the dark shadow of annakin's story. There is no reason to suppose that the standards of living improved and technology as well under the despotic rule of Vader and Palpatine. They could very likely have gotten worse, as the two had less need of new technology to rule the galaxy, seeing as they were the only two beings who could see into the future. Oh sorry, except for Yoda and kenobi, who were basically inactive during that time in a political sense.

God, I put way too much thought into that.

greyseal
05-18-2002, 07:52 PM
What are you kidding? Christopher Lee . . too much of a good guy? Where have you been fot the last thirty years? Lee played Dracula in nearly all of the Hammer horor films from England in the '60's and '70's, was that funhky, tall malevolent dude ni Gormenghast, and played Saruman in LOTR. That was my favorite of the movie--with him and that wicked, cherry red lightsaber. He rocked! Lee kicks butt as a bad guy. He has the ability to play the part of a villain with an air of sophisticated, calm evil.
Obi-Wan and Yoda don't die in Episode III; obviously they train Luke in Ep's IV and V (and maaybe VI?)
Yessa, the Jatr-Jar thingsa wasa pretty funny-sa. Ensuring the end of the Republic as it's known. I though the young Bobba was a samrt @$$ little punk, pouty little crap. I thought it was cool to see the predeseccers to all of the stormtroopers in the clones and their armor.
New Jersey: Where the weak are eaten and killed.

KungFuGuy!
05-19-2002, 02:01 AM
Sorry huang, you're never going to convince anyone that the man who played Sauruman can't act as a bad guy :D
I thought Hayden did a fine job. He got the right messages accross, even if it seemed fake to you. He was a better choice than the other Candidates. Leo Decaprio as Darth Vadar? *SHUDDER*, thank God that didn't happen!
Also, I just don't see Natalie Portman as a bad actress. Some people are saying she did a ****ty job, but I just can't see it. I can understand the points against Hayden Christensen, just not her. Can anyone give me some specific examples where she played her roll poorly?

@PLUGO
05-22-2002, 02:53 PM
it was like one huge videogame for sure...

Obi wan make a terrible sigle parent if that's how he raised Anakin over 10 years...

Anakin was a punk for sure... his slaughter of the Tuskin Raiders should have seen more screen time.

Yoda's dual was Okay... why didn't he move Obi Wan & Anakin out of harms way instead of waisting time with his immatation of Captain Kirk while he stops a pillar from falling on them? Why didn't he slam Count Dukko's Ship with it when he was trying to fly off.

Jango Fett: OKAY... sorta cool ironey that he "fathers" the clone troopers.

His best part was getting his head lopped off by Mace...

Can you see Bobba assinating mace in Ep III?

Punk Kid...

Natalie Portman was such nice eye candy I didn't mind he poor dialogue & especially the Poor directing.

There where difinate scenes of the technology looking more like ep IV-VI... Just look at the Clone troopers' tech. Those minni Star Destroyers...

Jar Jar redeemed himself in my book... he should commit suicide in the next movie in proper greek tragidy fashion.

Christopher Lee did just fine... some of the best acting in the whole movie... Nice light saber.

Liked how he Cut DOWN that arrogent Anakin... (pun intended :p)

Nice irony in Yoda using the clone army... an enlightened peace keeper leading a vast army...

Obi Wan & Yoda don't die in the normal sence probably because they are the last of the Jedi & are thuse so attuned to the Force... Even Darth Vadar was surprised to find no body.

Chang Style Novice
05-23-2002, 09:49 AM
I saw it, I thought it was insulting and incompetent on every conceivable level. Acting, directing, script, action choregraphy, special effects, you name it. Yoda looked fake, as did every other CGI character, landscape and vehicle. Yoda's duel was just stupid. He's either an infirm little old man who needs a cane/floating wheelchair to get around or he's an acrobatic little Kermit the Frog bad@ss. One or the other, it can't be both.

Honestly, I had very low expectations for this movie as anything except eye candy, and it was still worse than I expected in every respect. Well, Natalie was hot, and I liked the mantis/shark monster. But that's all. Oh, yeah, the Jango Fett actor was good, but he had jack-all to actually do.

It'll take wild horses to drag me to Ep 3.

Mr Punch
05-24-2002, 06:53 AM
Haven't seen it yet (sometimes I feel like they're still showing the first Star Wars over here...:( ), so haven't read all the posts...

But whoever said Lee can't play a bad guy is a moron! Bugger Saruman, what about Dracula and all the rest of those twisted Hammer horrors? I know it was kind of panto, but give the guy a break, he must be as old as Yoda!

What I find disturbing is why every geek is coming out and calling Star Wars 'A New Hope'... It was called Star Wars for 23 years...

CSN, You wanna see me when I get out of my wheelchair...

dnc101
05-25-2002, 01:21 PM
If I wait till it comes out on video my wife will buy the thing any how and I can see it then. Seriously guys, why waste your time in line to see a movie when you could be working out- or better yet, starting your own art! Think of it: a Star wars based martial art!

Your style doesn't matter, anything goes. The only one in all the other movies who fought with any kind of style any how was Darth Mall.

Metachlurian count- let's base that on your number of posts on these forums (I'd better get busy if I want to qualify for training).

You're a paduan untill black (in whatever style you choose), then instead of tans you would be a knight, then master, then on the council, and finally a ghost.

Those of you whose school doesn't use belts would be the Dark Side (sorry, but what else can we do with you?). Your 'rank' would be determined by how good your costume looks- extra points for original, scarry, and skin art.

This is so fascinating, I've already ruined three flashlights an a wooden practice sword trying to fashion a suitable weapon.

So, what do you guys think? Will it go? Or maybe we should base this new art on the old 'Lost in Space' TV serries.

KungFuGuy!
05-27-2002, 02:39 AM
lol dnc :D

Note on your comments, Chang: Firstly, Yoda was purposely made to look fake so he could look more like the original Yoda. Their realistic looking Yoda didn't look a thing like the original. He was able to jump around like an acrobat despite barely being able to walk because he is THAT good with the force. From what I know, Jedi are discouraged from using the force to perform menial day to day tasks (which is why anakin said Obi Wan would kill him if he saw him using the force to eat his meal), which is why he uses his own power to walk.

dnc101
05-27-2002, 05:00 PM
but I'm only human. I took my 11 yr old son to see it. It looks like Lukas did the same thing here that he did on the middle movie in the first serries (Empire Strikes Back?)- he tried to cram too many events together in order to set up the next movie. It was a little disjointed. And, even though you go in with few expectations as far as reality and sensibility, I thought he stretched credibility a little too much. Especially with the chase scene. As for Aniken, Obe Wan should have turned him over his knee and beat the dark side out of him. Things I liked: Amadala, the scenery and architechure, special effects, a lot of action (I have a short attention span). Then of course there's Yoda, a shining example for those of us martial artists who are undersize and somewhat infirm.

planetwc
05-27-2002, 11:04 PM
Well the Jedi fight sequences got worse not better this time.
Too bad they didn't hire more wushu guys like Ray Park.

Instead we got a lot of guys and gals twirling sabers like batons.
Yuck. They suck. Ray Park was much better.

Next the coloseum fight was what a poor homage to Gladiator, only juiced up with digital creatures? Please.

Perhaps Lucas can let Ridley Scott direct the next one and have Russell Crowe be the grown up Anakin. LOL.

And the force seems good for:

1. Peeling fruit
2. Juggling
3. Opening doors
4. pushing things

Next up...

A GALAXY of planets and races, and all there is in terms of Jedis is what about 100 of em? That's barely enough for a city let alone a country, let alone a planet or galaxy. Lucas didn't work out the logistics of scale. With that few Jedi around there were not even enough to keep peace on one planet.

Next, the Jedi have no answer for the rolling droids with guns?

So why doesn't Palpatine just drop a ship full of droids on the Jedi temple or just bomb it out of existence?

Shadow Dragon
05-27-2002, 11:14 PM
Rant on.

I haven't seen EP II yet.

Personally, I feel that EP III will need some VERY clever scriptwriting to cover some inconsistencies and connect to EP IV in feel and tone.

In EP IV Jedi Knights are something of mystical Persons with Darth supposedly being the last.

Now between EP III & Ep IV at the most can be 20yrs of timeline.

Kinda very hard to forget Jedi and so on in that short a timespan, and let a whole Galaxy get to the state it was in EP IV. If we talked planetary level maybe, but across multiple star systems??

To be honest I was very disappointed when Lucas changed the story-line for the first 3 Episodes from the original Plan.

EP I, II & III were supposed to go to the early Days of the Jedi Long before any of the characters in EP IV.

EP VI, VII & VIII were supposed to play after the Characters in the oriignal Movies had passed on.
My personal feelings are rather than changing the storyline and doing the new Movies after such a long time he should have let Star Wars rest.

Just hope they will have some Land-speeders in EP III.

Rant off.

Chang Style Novice
05-28-2002, 08:57 AM
http://www.uclick.com/client/byr/bo/

Best (or at least, most appealing) analysis of Ep 2 I've seen yet.

Fluck Obiwan, Huey Freeman is my hero!

The Willow Sword
05-30-2002, 06:59 AM
This has been on my mind for a while now. seeing the first Two episodes and the fight scenes contained within makes me think that it greatly downgrades the scenes from the old star wars movies. the moves are more martial arts looking and even though they are good fight scenes especially in episode 1 i cant help but feel sorry for the first three that came out where we saw a more western fencing approach to the light sabre weilding.

what are everyones thoughts on this? i will post more when this thread gets response.

Many Respects,,, The Willow Sword

dnc101
05-30-2002, 12:33 PM
The only style I saw in any of the five episodes was smash & clash, with two excepyions:
Yodas' flying insect aproach, which was novel and inventive.
Darth Mall, who looked as though he was trained by Bing Crosby's old choreographer- but ya gotta say he had style!

Ky-Fi
05-30-2002, 08:05 PM
According to Lucas on the DVD documentaries, he felt that the first 3 movies showed lightsaber fighting of a half-trained youth (Luke), an old man (Obi-Wan) and a half-machine man (Vader), whereas in the new series he wanted to show the Jedi in their prime and at the peak of their skills, hence the much faster and more acrobatic fights. So, I guess it makes sense from that perspective that the fights in the new series are more intense.

NorthernMantis
06-06-2002, 06:52 PM
I thought it was way better thatn the last one.

Why didn't he slam Count Dukko's Ship with it when he was trying to fly off.

What a coincidence since I thought the same thing.

THe only part I liked was when all the storm trooper look alikes where leaving on the mini stardestroyers and the empire song was on.

HuangKaiVun
06-08-2002, 12:23 PM
Unlike the blind Lee worshipers like Mat, I judge Lee's performance only by what he did in this movie.

I don't give one or even two craps about what he did in Hammer and all those other movies. All I care about is that he DIDN'T GET THE JOB DONE HERE.

If Lee wasn't famous, everybody would've taken him to task for "being as old as Yoda" and "panto". Nobody here would (or should) "give him a break" just because he's the great Christopher Lee.

HuangKaiVun
06-10-2002, 08:35 PM
As a martial arts "purist", I felt that the fights in Episodes IV-VI were far more convincing (if less flashy) than those in the first two episodes.

Jedi or not, whirling and twirling with a lightsaber is the most inefficient way of using such a weapon. Why use your physical momentum to spin a light weapon through the air when a simple thrust would be much harder to block?

I read the book of Episode II today, and it noted that Count Dooku had little regard for the flashy whirling style of the "modern" Jedi. He used fencing, which has more of a thrusting jing and was designed primarily for combat against other lightsabers.

Were I facing a Jedi knight, I'd probably adopt a kendo-style posture with the lightsaber pointing almost straight at the opponent. I'd use the tip of my lightsaber to parry incoming slashes in the "lever" fashion that the kendo guys do. And if I were really good, I'd stand in a fencing side stance and use a thrusting jing. Of course, that would depend on how heavy the lightsaber was and how much I could use the Force to compensate for the weakness of a one-handed approach.

Shadow Dragon
06-10-2002, 08:40 PM
One thing that always amuses me with the lightsabers.

They are rumord to cut through anything except another lightsaber blade.
Hence you need to be VERY skilled in their usage.

And I would have expected a VERY different combat styles in the early movies.

Seeya.

@PLUGO
06-17-2002, 05:21 PM
I remember reading some sourse books on Star Wras ages ago...

There was alot of cool stuff writtedn about Light sabres...

How each Jedi had to build his own Sabre when they reached the proper level...

How the sabre was actually a sort of Lazer that extended out & bent back upon itself returning to the hilt via the power of the force.

Each Light Sabre acted as a sort of antennea for the Force. The stronger the Jedi's connection to the force the Brighter the light saber... also it's color reflected the Jedi's Nature.

The fighting style wasn't always "maartial" and alot of the movements where oriented towards using the Jedi's ability to "see" into the future as well as sence the ebbs of the force created by their opponient's Light Saber...

not that Lucas really put any of those writtings to use while developing his latest version . . .

HuangKaiVun
06-20-2002, 02:25 AM
A REAL Jedi wouldn't just carry a lightsaber.

He'd also carry a blaster. That's PRACTICAL.

@PLUGO
06-25-2002, 11:51 AM
Jedi don't bother with blasters... Too unreliable, an in-elegant...

Obi-Wan said so to Han Solo...

why bother when a light saber can deflect blaster fire back at it's opponent & someone like Darth Vader can block 'em with his hands (see Empire Strikes Back)

HuangKaiVun
06-25-2002, 02:15 PM
Because if the lightsaber gets broken or lost, then the Jedi can still battle.

Also, it can save precious time. Imagine how much hassle would've been saved had Luke Skywalker simply used his blaster to shoot down the speeders in "Return of the Jedi"?

Not everybody has Darth Vader-like power to block blaster hits. In fact, the Sith are the only guys in the movies who can do this successfully without a lightsaber. Notice how Jango Fett nearly shoots up Obi Wan and then later shoots down that Jedi that climbed up to Dooku's platform on Geonosis?

The Jedi in that great fight on Geonosis ought to have picked up every blaster in sight and taken cover. It's madness to stand in the middle and take hits from enemies, which is why so many Jedi died that day. It's much smarter to take cover and fire at guys using the Force to guide one's aim - you can take out more guys in less time with less personal risk.

It's silly for Obi Wan and Skywalker to be chasing Dooku when they could be shooting at him with their own Force-guided guns. They could've ended it RIGHT THERE, as Dooku couldn't have ridden his speeder and withstood blaster hits at the same time. Didn't Luke Skywalker use the Force to blow up the Death Star?

Obi Wan said that line to Han Solo, but Obi Wan wasn't exactly a model Jedi. The guy took on a potentially dangerous Padawan when he was barely even ready to become a full Jedi Knight, lied to his former Padawan's son about his true heritage, and ultimately nearly destroyed the galaxy by leaking information about Princess Leia to Luke when it was clear he couldn't handle it!

@PLUGO
06-25-2002, 03:55 PM
well, obviously he was some hippie Pot-head, just like his Master Qi-Gon.

why do you think they didn't let him onto the Jedi counsel? The drug test!!!

KungFuGuy!
07-07-2002, 05:10 AM
Huang, it would have been stupid for the Jedi to turn that arena fight into a gun fight. It would have completely taken away the Jedi's advantage. Have you seen the way those droids advance? They walk steadily towards their target, and their guns are spewing laser all the time. The Jedi wouldn't even have time to shoot their force guided blasters. The chaos of the arena was their advantage since the droids needed to scan for targets while avoiding friendly units. Also, doku was out of the way of any possible blaster shots from what I remember. Even if he wasn't, I'm sure he was sensing everything that went on in that arena, so if he felt someone draw a blaster and pointed it at him, his vader-esque laser stopping hand would be up :D
Guns aren't cool, which is why I like Star Wars as it introduces a sword that is superior to the gun. As a martial artist I'm surprised you feel this way, Huang. Why not quit kung fu and join the local NRA? :D

HuangKaiVun
07-07-2002, 07:30 AM
The reason I don't join the NRA is because it's illegal to carry handguns in certain states.

As far as the advancing droids thing goes, the right thing to do is get under cover and shoot guys from a distance. If you have an ARMY of droids coming at you, you don't stand in the way and take all the hits. You get UNDER COVER and try to pick the army apart. The Jedi started the fight in the STANDS, and they came down to the arena where the droids converged on them. That's why so many Jedi got blown away.

Not surprisingly, the tide of the battle turned when Yoda descended on the arena with the clone army. Why couldn't have Jedi starships flown directly into the arena (as Yoda's clones did) and saved Anakin and Obi-Wan? That would've saved so many Jedi lives, though it would've made the movie less saber-oriented. The clones, compared to Jedi, are vastly inferior fighters even when controlled by Yoda. In the case of the Jedi, GUNS saved the day. And that's why guns are COOL.

The cutting edge of a weapon isn't the quality of the weapon. It's the APPLICATION. What good is a lightsaber if the person using it is boneheaded as those Jedi were? I mean, even Dooku was using droids armed with guns the whole movie until the final fight!

As Thulsa Doom said in "Conan the Barbarian", "What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?"

NorthernMantis
07-07-2002, 11:33 AM
Didn't Luke Skywalker use the Force to blow up the Death Star?

No, the rebel alliance managed to slip into the death star and destroy its core after Han Solo, with the help of Ewoks, turned the shield generators off on that small planet. Darth Vader (Anakin) leaked out the artchitecture of the death star to lure the rebel alliance out and destroy them. Funny how it got turned around did it?

Oh and by the way doesn't any one remember that goldfish general in the final star wars? Personallu I though he was cool.

I wonder what happened to the remaining storm troopers that escaped.

HuangKaiVun
07-07-2002, 07:50 PM
I was talking about the FIRST Death Star, NorthernMantis.

Luke Skywalker, with the advice of Obi Wan Kenobi, uses the Force to guide his torpedos into the shaft of Death Star I. Watch "The New Hope" again.

If Luke used GUNS to blow up the Death Star, I don't see why a Jedi Knight shouldn't use guns to blow up droids.

NorthernMantis
07-08-2002, 08:07 AM
Oops thanks for the correction.

@PLUGO
07-09-2002, 12:30 PM
I always thought the point was for luke to use the force INSTEAD of a computer aided targeting system...

It wasn't that he used the force to "guide" the photon blasts... he used the force to Aim more accurately than a computer could...

HuangKaiVun
07-09-2002, 02:57 PM
semantics, semantics.

If one "uses the Force to Aim more accurately than a computer could", that IS using the Force to "guide photon blasts".

@PLUGO
07-09-2002, 06:21 PM
wouldn't deflecting a laser blast with your hand be a more accurate discription of "using the force to guide a laser blast (away from you?)"

HuangKaiVun
07-12-2002, 03:36 PM
No.

So if Luke didn't use the Force to guide the photon missiles into the exhaust port of the Death Star, WHAT did he use?

Besides, "using the force to guide a laser blast (away from you?)" didn't save any of the scores of Jedi killed on Geonosis.

And that was my original point of why the Jedi should've carried blasters and used the Force to shoot down all sorts of droids in the first place.

@PLUGO
07-15-2002, 02:12 PM
Luke used the Force to AIM for that vent... see the movie again...
There's just no way he would have been skilled enough to "move" a photon torpedo so early in his training... Think of the training he went through with Yoda on Dagoba, only there does he begin to understand the Force's potential to transent the physical world... remember the scene where Yoda lifts the X-wing out of the swamp but Luke couldn't because it was too big?

The point of that scene in the first movie was based on transending one's reliance on technology.

The Jedia used the Force through their Lightsabers to deflect blaster fire...

notice how only Jedi weild Lightsabers... anyone NOT in touch with the force would probably kill themselves with it... Luke's natural connection with the force..."the force is strong in this one" was demonstraited right off with that practice scene while traveling on the falcon...

Again... Blasters are simply unreliable... Queen Amidala is no Jedi & still all those legions of Robots & cyborgs continued to miss her.

Considering the ratio of Robots to Jedi... there weren't that many Jedi that actually fell in battle. They'll be whiped out in the next movie...

But if you want a blaster... you're welcome to have one, no-one here will stop ya' . . . personally, I'll sticke with a trusty lightsaber . . . green of course.:p

HuangKaiVun
07-16-2002, 07:04 AM
There were at least 100 Jedi at first on Geonosis.

After the droids had shot them up, there were no more than 20 left. Count the number after they get forced into the final circle.

In short, there were MORE Jedi killed than there were left standing. Your concept of ratio shows that you enjoy seeing Jedi killed.

If anything, Senator Amidala demonstrates the superiority of blasters over lightsabers.

While the Jedi are getting totally shot up by the droids, she takes cover and starts shooting at them with her blaster. Meanwhile, all the other Jedi were getting shot down despite using "the Force through their Lightsabers to deflect blaster fire... "

Remember this, Design Sifu. What saved the Jedi that day? It wasn't another army of lightsaber bearers, it was a CLONE ARMY armed with BLASTERS led by Yoda that bailed them out.

And what's the difference between aiming at a vent and guiding it in when the Death Star blows up? Either way, Luke used the Force to blow up the Death Star not with a lightsaber, but a photon torpedo.

You can have your lightsaber. But don't start griping to me when your butt gets shot up on Geonosis due to your desire to stand in the middle and take hits.

I'll hide out as Amidala did and fire at guys from a covered position.

@PLUGO
07-16-2002, 12:16 PM
Well, I'll have to see the move again to recall the 100 plus Jedi at the begining of that battle...

Yes it's true that The Jedi where save by Yoda's Clone-troopers... But then again, didn't Mace state that the Jedi where "peace-keepers not soilders" so there you go.

Yes... a lightsaber would have been quite ineffective against the deathstar.

Amidala both proved the effectiveness of using cover while blasting and the unrelyability of blasters by surviving amidst 20-1 odds... or whatever.

you keep your blaster, I'll keep my lightsaber. Let's agree not to duel in a vain attempt to prove which is better 7 perhaps there's $$$ to be made as bounty hunters between episodes III & IV. :cool:

KungFuGuy!
08-01-2002, 06:00 PM
If anything, Senator Amidala demonstrates the superiority of blasters over lightsabers.

Padme wouldn't have lasted 5 seconds if Anakin wasn't defending her.

As far as the advancing droids thing goes, the right thing to do is get under cover and shoot guys from a distance. If you have an ARMY of droids coming at you, you don't stand in the way and take all the hits. You get UNDER COVER and try to pick the army apart. The Jedi started the fight in the STANDS, and they came down to the arena where the droids converged on them. That's why so many Jedi got blown away.

The droid army would have been closed in and rapid firing their lasers if the Jedi decided to take cover. They had no advantage in ranged combat, but had a great one in close combat. If you watched Episode 1, you'd see how deadly the droid phalanx is. Every gungan would have died if it wasn't for that force field. How did the gungans attempt to level the playing field? Close combat, of course. If a bunch of stupid fish men can figure this out, why can't you? :D
Not surprisingly, the tide of the battle turned when Yoda descended on the arena with the clone army. Why couldn't have Jedi starships flown directly into the arena (as Yoda's clones did) and saved Anakin and Obi-Wan? That would've saved so many Jedi lives, though it would've made the movie less saber-oriented. The clones, compared to Jedi, are vastly inferior fighters even when controlled by Yoda. In the case of the Jedi, GUNS saved the day. And that's why guns are COOL.

The clone troopers turned the tide of the battle not because of their weaponry, but because of their numbers, and the element of surprise. If the Jedi dropped in from the above, they would not have had the same element and could have potentially been blown out of the sky. Instead they infiltrated from the inside, no doubt taking out countless sentries.
To clear up any possible confusion, Yoda had surprise because the battle took the attention of everyone in the arena, and the ships went unnoticed as everyone was preocupied.

I'll be the first to criticise George Lucas, but I must say he does his research when it comes to battle tactics.

@PLUGO
08-06-2002, 12:47 PM
Still, once it's said & done, the life of a Jedi Bounty Hunter could prove quite lucrative between episodes III & IV

one could still keep their morals by only hunting those deserving of capture...

:p

shinbushi
08-06-2002, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by HuangKaiVun
I can ask for a heck of a lot more, kungfuguy!

Personally, I'd been happy if the "primitive" technology of "Empire Strikes Back" were used. Isn't anybody bothered by the fact that the technology in Episodes 1/2 is so vastly more sophisticated than that in Episodes 4-6?

Similarly, I wish that the quality of shooting had been kept consistent through the 5 episodes. I was against the changes made by Lucas on the original 4-6 episodes, as I felt that they were totally out of place with the more primitive background technology.

Less technology. More acting.
Actually Lucas plans on digital re-doing the original three. That is why the OT is not on DVD. If anyone say the special editions. Like where Gredo shot first. It is a preview of things to come.

HuangKaiVun
08-13-2002, 12:47 PM
KungFuGuy!, your tactics led to the death of many Jedi that day.

Padme lasted just fine without Anakin defending her. She was able to fight off the monster that attacked her, and she was smart enough to take cover. Anakin, for your information, was too busy defending HIMSELF.

In Episode I, you will recall that the Gungans were roundly defeated in close combat by the battle droids. You don't remember this, but the droids routed the Gungans by blowing up the force field in your close quarters. Because of this, countless Gungans died AND they lost the battle. In short, your strategy failed miserably.

Your logic about the clone army is flawed, KungFuGuy! By your estimation, you'd take an army of clones over an army of Jedi. Besides, taking out sentries didn't stop the Jedi from getting shot up or from being rounded up at the end.

Throughout history, air forces have been employed to soften up ground positions BEFORE ground troops are sent in. We did that in the Gulf War and in Afghanistan. By your estimation, we'd send in ground troops to "take out sentries" and "create surprise". And the result would be the same as in "Episode II": a high death toll of American soldiers. Is that what you want, KungFuGuy?

I'll say this, KungFuGuy! If I were a Jedi or Gulf War soldier, I'd never fight for you. That's because you'd send me to my death via close quarter combat.

@PLUGO
08-13-2002, 02:06 PM
um... there's quite a difference betwen a Gulf War soilder & a Jedi...:rolleyes:

KungFuGuy!
08-14-2002, 02:41 AM
I most certainly would not. You'd be the cook. :D
But seriously, I wouldn't. You, being a regular human, would be more efficient with a gun than with a sword. A jedi is more efficient with a melee weapon, due to his ability to deflect missle weapons, and even turn the blasts back onto the shooter. They also have the ability to take on many opponents simultaneously in close combat, while still defending themselves from attacks. If you were a Jedi? Well, refusing to fight in close combat would lead to your expulsion from the Jedi order. No, you wouldn't fight for me, because I'd fire you. Then you'd join the dark side, and get your @ss kicked by some padawan because of your refusale to put down your blaster. Jango favoured a blaster above all else, and he was easily a match for the greatest Jedi marksmen. How did his blaster fare versus Mace Windu? Also, need I remind you how many gun toting henchmen and droids have been destroyed by lightsabres?
Yes, the gungans were still defeated, but at least it was fairely close. What if they had no shields and were forced to fight at a distance? It would be a fish fry masacre.
Obviously I would take an army of Jedi over an army of Clones. Now, would I take a small band of Jedi against a huge army? Of course not, the Jedi would be destroyed just as in the coliseum.
Cover isn't everything. What happens when someone walks around your cover? I believe this is called fish in a barrel, my friend.
Watch the movie again, you'll notice Anakin was always near Padme. Why wasn't she shot? Because she needs to be in the next movie so she can get it on with ani and pop out those twins.
Your arguements are becoming abscure and somewhat irrelevant. Perhaps you should give up while you still can :D
Edit: Hey, I just realized that you're the guy who was acting like Dragonwarrior's little sidekick! That makes this extra fun :D

HuangKaiVun
08-19-2002, 12:18 PM
You have a problem with me or Dragon Warrior's story (which was REAL)?

Trust me, you don't really want to test your sense of kung fu reality against mine. But you can try me if you wish.

That lightsaber really helped that Jedi who got shot up by Jango Fett in close quarters, didn't it? It even helped Mace Windu on the ledge, who got flamed off the ledge and killed Fett only because Fett's backpack broke. Notice how Fett's success against Obi Wan and that fallen Jedi (and his subsequent failure against Windu) in close quarter combat weakens your argument about how close quarters are better than long distance fighting?

Thank you for strengthening my argument that the Gungans were better at long distance than at short distance. In doing so, you corroborated my argument that keeping one's distance is wiser than close quarter combat against guns. Keep in mind that in the end, it WAS a Gungan fish fry massacre.

I'll tell you what happens when "somebody walks around your cover". You get out of firing range and find MORE cover. Of course, a guy like you would simply stand in the way and take the bullets coming your way.

Of course, you won't understand a word of this. But it's an interesting discussion nonetheless.

KungFuGuy!
08-19-2002, 05:35 PM
Oh, please. Your arguements have become so flimsy that any 12 year old star wars fan could refute them. Anything I would say now would just be repetitions of my previous posts.
Real or not, dragonwarrior is a *******.
Don't make me laugh. We both know you have no sense of "kung fu reality". You can't even understand basic tactics.

HuangKaiVun
08-20-2002, 05:26 PM
OK then.

Let's see how much better your kung fu is than mine.

KungFuGuy!
08-22-2002, 02:14 AM
Give me a break! It's pretty easy to talk trash to someone from across the continent. Was I supposed to take that seriously?

08-22-2002, 03:00 AM
Originally posted by HuangKaiVun
Let's see how much better your kung fu is than mine.
my kung fu is better than yours.

@PLUGO
08-22-2002, 11:20 AM
Simmer Down . . .!

:rolleyes:

MasterKiller
05-05-2008, 07:39 PM
http://www.starwars.com/video/view/000478.html

Will be in theatres.

NJM
05-05-2008, 07:54 PM
I found that pathetic. The animation style is ugly, they're doing the CLONE WARS when it was already a TV show, and the graphics are low-rez in the preview.

Zenshiite
05-07-2008, 03:06 PM
I think this'll be good. It's also going to be a television series on Cartoon Network.

The Gennedy Tartakovsky Clone Wars micro-series was always kind of a 2 hour long serialized pilot for a Clone Wars project. It just so happens that they're doing it CGI. Besides, that micro-series didn't cover all of the Clone Wars. There's still some short period of time between Anakin Skywalker getting made a Jedi Knight and the micro-series stuff that takes place just prior to Revenge of the Sith. I think they're also going to be doing some stories that don't always involve Obi-Wan and Anakin. So there'll be other Jedi taking center stage at times, others maybe just clones. Perhaps tell the story from the other side sometimes too. Samuel L Jackson is doing Mace Windu's voice for this.

RAYNYSC
05-13-2008, 05:31 PM
Not bad this looks interesting I look forward to seeing it thanks for posting.

Samurai Jack
05-13-2008, 08:57 PM
Duuuuude! Anakin?! Again?!?!

I am so sick of that whiny brat! With lines like, "But master, I'm the most powerful jedi EVER!"

Geez.

The prequel was the worst move I could've imagined right from the word go. It had it's moments, but it was pretty lame overall.

I wish Lucas would f***ing move on already. There's so much they could be doing with Star Wars. We could really use some new characters, new plots, entirely new stories...

It's supposed to be a civilization that encompasses millions of planets, billions of cultures, and tens of thousands of years of history.

Is the only interesting thing that's happened in all that time, in all those cultures, is that a spoiled, whiny monk ruined his order so he could get some coochie on the side?

Lucas
05-14-2008, 11:44 AM
I wish Lucas would f***ing move on already.?

DUDE! I'm moving next month, get off my back.

sanjuro_ronin
05-14-2008, 11:59 AM
I wish Lucas would f***ing move on already. There's so much they could be doing with Star Wars. We could really use some new characters, new plots, entirely new stories...

Indeed, Episodes 7, 8 and 9 for example.

Lucas
05-14-2008, 01:11 PM
he must have a serious case of writers block....

sanjuro_ronin
05-14-2008, 01:12 PM
he must have a serious case of writers block....

If he's smart, he let someone else direct and write them :D

banditshaw
05-14-2008, 03:04 PM
Ditto on that sir!

Zenshiite
05-14-2008, 06:59 PM
GL says he doesn't have any story for any further episodes. He feels the movies were Anakin's story and there's nothing to tell for Luke, Han and Leia... let alone any kids they might have.

To that I say: Make animated films of some of the books and comics. Tim Zahn's Thrawn Trilogy from which GL got the name of the Republic's capital planet(Coruscant) for instance. I think he lifted the idea of making the stormtroopers evolve out of the clones of the Clone Wars from that trilogy in the first place... what with Grand Admiral Thrawn finding cloning tech and making his own army of stormtrooper clones, pilots etc. I don't buy it when he says he had it all planned out from the get go.

After that they could do the comic that kicked off Star Wars comics again in the early 90s, Dark Empire with deranged clones of the Emperor and Luke trying to defeat the dark side from within. Leia as a fully trained Jedi.

GeneChing
06-02-2008, 09:57 AM
Should this post be here or on the MMA forum (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)?

Daughter of George Lucas in Auckland fight (http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/4568248a1860.html)
By LEE UMBERS - Sunday News | Sunday, 01 June 2008

The Force is strong with Amanda Lucas daughter of legendary Hollywood filmmaker George Lucas who made her mixed martial arts debut in Auckland last night.

Amanda, who featured in three of her father's Star Wars blockbusters, slipped unnoticed into New Zealand last Sunday with a US all-female fight team.

The Americans took on an Australasian side in the Princesses of Pain event at the Auckland Boxing Association Stadium. Amanda, 27, was pitted against Kiwi kickboxer Nicole Kavanagh in the 73kg MMA contest.

Footage of the bout should end up on a reality TV show planned around the formation of a women's international fight league.

Current affairs show 20/20 also covered the event.

Princesses of Pain promoter Belinda Dunne said Amanda's arrival created a buzz among martial artists but the billionaire's daughter had fitted straight in.

She's even staying at the same central Auckland backpackers' lodge as her team-mates, despite being accompanied by her American bodybuilder fiancee.

"She's staying in a hostel with six other girls. Eating the same food. She has not once been a prima donna about it," Belinda told Sunday News.

"Within her team-mates, none of them really give a crap (about her links to fame).

"Amanda is an amazing person within herself.

"Being in New Zealand has been good for her. She's been here since Sunday and no one's taken any notice.

"It's great for her first fight. It's been about her and not about who she is."

Amanda was a hip-hop teacher in San Francisco but had years of martial arts training including kickboxing, Muay Thai and Brazilian ju-jitsu, Belinda said.

She trained at the city's Fairtex Gym, which featured Muay Thai world champion Yodsaenklai Fairtex who fought in the KO World Series event in Auckland in February.

"(Amanda's) got the heart of a fighter.

"She's got some skills in every area. She does the tough yards and she doesn't give up," Belinda said.

She deserved her stage name Amanda "Powerhouse" Lucas.

"She's got a lot of strength in her punch."

Amanda has also made an impact on the big screen, appearing in the most recent Star Wars trilogy.

She was dancer Diva Funquita and the voice of Trade Federation battleship communications officer Tey How in Episode I The Phantom Menace, Outlander Club patron Adnama (Amanda spelled backwards) in Episode II Attack of the Clones, and Senator Terr Taneel in Episode III Revenge of the Sith.

Dad George Lucas' Hollywood blockbusters include both Stars Wars trilogies, the Indiana Jones series and American Graffiti.

Last night's Princesses of Pain featured 10 bouts. An Asian team is planned for the women's international fight league.

MasterKiller
08-17-2008, 06:42 PM
Awesome animation. Horrible, horrible movie. The plot was stupid, the dialogue was was ridiculous (even by Star Wars standards) and the girl Padawan is a complete B1tch, possibly the most annoying Star Wars character since Jar-Jar Binks. She is arrogant, obstinate, and disrespectful to her teachers, but you are supposed to think she's spunky. It's almost like the writers never heard of a Jedi. I walked out about 3/4 the way through. Don't waste your money even renting this garbage, unless you think hearing her call Anakin "Sky Guy" about 700 times is entertaining.

doug maverick
08-17-2008, 09:20 PM
the animation looks to kiddy for me, i would love for lucas to do a star wars like final fantasy advent children

SimonM
08-18-2008, 07:32 AM
So was this like basically just a condensation of the previous, awful, clone wars TV show or something new?

MasterKiller
08-18-2008, 07:47 AM
So was this like basically just a condensation of the previous, awful, clone wars TV show or something new?

It's a continuation of it, setting up a Cartoon Network series.

brothernumber9
08-18-2008, 08:15 AM
I thought the clone wars animated series was good. The first volume was somewhat Samurai Jack-like with Mace's and Yoda's scenes.

I have heard nothing good from Star Wars fans about the new movie, and I know MK is a real Star Wars homer, so If he thinks it stinks, I am inclined to think I may end up feeling the same when I see it.

Zenshiite
08-19-2008, 10:21 PM
There's so much weakness in the Clone Wars. So much. Good spectacle, but for the most part they should've just saved it for TV. And, you know this is going to be the debut episode(s) on Cartoon Network this fall.

I'm sure they could've come up with a more compelling story to put in the theater if they REALLY wanted to go that route. I can't say that this was something they were doing to sell toys, it's going to be a TV show... toy selling won't be a problem.

Anakin's Padawan sucks for sure. I guess her "spunk" is supposed to be a challenge for Anakin because she's so much like him... well, it's annoying a bore. However, I thought Ziro the flamboyant Hutt was hilarious with his Capote voice.

Shaolinlueb
08-20-2008, 10:13 AM
I enjoyed the 2 seasons of clone wars on cartoon network.

Zenshiite
08-20-2008, 06:20 PM
I enjoyed the 2 seasons of clone wars on cartoon network.

Yeah, those were the pilots for the CGI show that this movie is also the pilot of...

Now if George had only depicted the Clone Wars more in the movies and you know... made us see Anakin Skywalker as an actual hero before his descent into Darth Vader. That's one thing I'll give for this movie... Anakin Skywalker doesn't come off as a dude that's about to snap at any moment, he's a hero. Episode II Anakin Skywalker practically already is Darth Vader.

冠木侍
08-20-2008, 06:31 PM
Just being a fan of cartoons and anime may be worth it for me to watch. Personally, I dislike the Star Wars franchise and never understood what the big deal was.

This movie caught my interest from the previews and some of the dialogue could be better...much better.

Still deciding..

GeneChing
07-23-2018, 08:19 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6WcmKRvHpk

In the wake of SDCC2018

I'm changing the title of this thread from 'New Star Wars movie this August' to 'Star Wars: The Clone Wars' because that August happened a decade ago...in a galaxy far, far away. :p

GeneChing
01-23-2020, 09:30 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLW2jkd6E7g