PDA

View Full Version : 411 on Bak Hsing

nospam
05-05-2008, 07:51 PM
Satori and I chatting a bit about Bak Hsing. Feel the Love.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-HisL5Oh6Y

nospam
:cool:

Lama Pai Sifu
05-05-2008, 10:37 PM
Thanks for posting.

NoSpam, if you don't mind, how long have you been training in CLF??

And you, Satori??

And do you both have the same teacher(s)??

Thanks again.

Peace

diego
05-05-2008, 11:00 PM
I watched a good hour of Bak Hsing Boxing this morning and slept all day...woke up went for a walk and came home to this discussion...been infatuated with CLF since I saw Bruce Lee or whatever but lately yall forms are really intrigueing to me.

Thanks for sharing.

nospam
05-06-2008, 03:49 AM
...started in my early teens to adulthood. Raised a family, lived Life...taught on & off. Lifestyle now allows me to put more attention towards my gung fu.

The one thing I liked about this video was it being unscripted. Satori and I were hanging out and as usual got to doing a lil Fu, so decided to run the camera. I'm not about the uniforms, dogma, or trying to make gung fu extraordinary. I don't bend poles or bash bricks on my head or claim amazing prowess...besides the occasional qi balls. I do what I what do. And it does what it does.

Satori and I come from the same Gar, but different teachers.

I'm going to put up application footage in the future as well.

nospam

diego
05-06-2008, 05:09 AM
...started in my early teens to adulthood. Raised a family, lived Life...taught on & off. Lifestyle now allows me to put more attention towards my gung fu.

The one thing I liked about this video was it being unscripted. Satori and I were hanging out and as usual got to doing a lil Fu, so decided to run the camera. I'm not about the uniforms, dogma, or trying to make gung fu extraordinary. I don't bend poles or bash bricks on my head or claim amazing prowess...besides the occasional qi balls. I do what I what do. And it does what it does.

Satori and I come from the same Gar, but different teachers.

I'm going to put up application footage in the future as well.

nospam
:cool: I was lucky enough to meet Satori...he hooked me up with backstage pass at Jon Funk's Tiger Balm. I met him at his senior's Dave and got to watch a good half hour of footage of his Sifu's school during the 80's.

Some good clips in there...you see bits of them on the youtube:) i'm dieing to see the full reels again!.

It was a blessing meeting Robert on a simple level as the Leopard fist Chap Choi has intrigued me since I was a teen...watching him break the board and then break the smaller board was neat:D

Peace

Satori Science
05-06-2008, 06:19 AM
I started MA when I was 12 or 13 with BJJ, played around with Hung Ga and Wushu in highschool and have been doing the Bak Hsing for almost 6 years.

I was forutunate enough to get "addcited" at an age ware I coud make it a priority. I lived in the school for a year, spent my weekends and days off in colledge working in my Sifu's Dim Sum restraunt with him & training my horse stance while I cut chicken's feet and squid,

I was fortunate to meet my teacher when I did, he is semi retired from teaching but has a small core group of Chinese students that have been with him since they were kids, but few were obsessed the way I am. Sifu and I ended up becoming really good freinds and hung out at least a few times a week outside of class, so I got to soak up a lot of "small corrections" the history and got to ask a lot of questions.

I really owe my Sifu everything,

I was also lucky to be living in what seems to be a nexus in the universe for Bak Hsing practioners (Western Canada) It actually turned out that a sisook gung of mine worked at the same corporation that I did, he was a long time student of Tam Fei Pang. We got to be good friends and started taking coffee together in the morning to play Taiji

& yeah, Nospam and I have the same Sigung our teachers are the two most senior students of GM Lueng Lap Yau "Raymond Lueng" Henry Suen Wai (my sifu) and Barry Richardson (Nospam's Sifu)

WinterPalm
05-06-2008, 08:51 AM
Nice vid guys!

Good point on the age to become addicted.
****, as I get older more and more I'm becoming the weird recluse who trains instead of going to the bar.

deeperthantao
05-06-2008, 12:28 PM
"as I get older more and more I'm becoming the weird recluse who trains instead of going to the bar."

-glad I'm not the only one;)

Sung29
05-06-2008, 12:43 PM
Thanks for the vid guys, it was very interesting. I was wondering though, how would the "blitzing attack" principle be translated into fighting an opponent who was say 30-50 lbs heavier and taller that you? Would it have to do with what Satori was talking about in the background regarding unbalancing/unseating and avoiding your opponents counters (ie. trying not to get hit/trading punches)?

Looking forward to your next clip.

Regards,
Sung29

nospam
05-06-2008, 01:31 PM
In one portion of that clip..when I do the splashing water hands..I commented if my opponent doesn't move or as you say he is a larger opponent, I then step off to the side.

I shoot in..hit..hit..hit..working towards doing some damage quick, then shoot off and reset or re-engage depending on what transpired. Please be aware what we spoke of in the video is a large part of our fighting philosophy but is tempered by other dynamics and specific methods of employing techniques. Altho I ramble on about centre line and forward motion, there is more to the equation than that.

There are many methods of unbalancing as well. And the centre line concept can be adjusted on the fly. My movement whether lateral or linear (straight forward) is dynamic and the blitzkreig plays a part in the disorientation and unbalancing and control. If I can not control the centre line and unbalance after a few hits then I adjust..create a new centre line and hit..hit..hit..again.

Targetting certain body areas as well no matter who you are disorients, which then allows a more effective opportunity to unbalance. I am not a proponent of the one knock out technique but CLF has many! The disinction being..it may not come as the 1st or 2nd strike.

One very important aspect is ging. Power is paramount for any strike, but we spend an inordinate amount of time developing this gung. As many a knowledgeable MAtist will tell you..power starts from the ground up. Distinction here is as one progresses, less range of movement is required, as are traditional stances. This does not come easy though nor quickly. What 100% of us all learn and practise and train until we can't move any more..are all stages of the flowering moi fa.

nospam

Vilmore
05-06-2008, 01:51 PM
great, this clip is just drenched in buck sing goodness :)

Its really recognizable.
Whenever someone asks on this forum what makes buck sing different from other CLF, show that vid.

Satori Science
05-06-2008, 01:52 PM
I was wondering though, how would the "blitzing attack" principle be translated into fighting an opponent who was say 30-50 lbs heavier and taller that you? Would it have to do with what Satori was talking about in the background regarding unbalancing/unseating and avoiding your opponents counters (ie. trying not to get hit/trading punches)?

I find having a chop choi tha can break ribs helps;) but the rest of what I said too,
I always train and spar with guys at least 30 pounds bigger than me, @ least! my sparring partner for the last three years had an easy 60 pounds on me. If you have root, and know how to adjust your attacks it shouldn't change how you fight to much, just your specific tactics. But everyone is a little different, you have to be able to react and not try to be to choreographed,

Sung29
05-07-2008, 08:01 PM
Thanks for your replies nospam & Satori. Great stuff.

Nospam, based on the stories I hear of mosquitoes in Winnipeg, you might want to empty that water filled dummy base, or keep it covered!

Regards,
Sung29

nospam
05-08-2008, 04:44 AM
You are correct, but that footage was shot in mid-Autumn last year..no critters around then. Only need to keep tabs on the water during the Summer months.

BTW..Manitoba mosquitoes grow feathers late Autumn and they fly South..the Americans call them Canadian Geese..for some reason. Canadians have been trying to figure that out for decades. There's a growing Canadian syndicate with corporate to laymen support, spearheading research and development into sending the Canadian Mosquito to Iraq. We call it Shock and Awe II: The Big Goose.

nospam

nospam
05-09-2008, 06:15 AM
Hey Lama Pai Sifu..I'm curious as to why your response to this post was to ask:

.. how long have you been training in CLF?? to both Satori and I?

nospam

Lama Pai Sifu
05-09-2008, 07:48 AM
Just curious, that's all. Nothing else really.

:)

nospam
05-09-2008, 08:58 AM
..cool.

If I ever make it to NYC, your kwoon is one place I will definitely visit. It would be interesting to do some 2 person work and chat about gung fu.

It's all good.

nospam

Lama Pai Sifu
05-09-2008, 10:04 AM
..cool.

If I ever make it to NYC, your kwoon is one place I will definitely visit. It would be interesting to do some 2 person work and chat about gung fu.

It's all good.

nospam

Consider the doors open...