PDA

View Full Version : OT – My 7 year old son had to deal with a 45 caliber against his head

Eddie
05-06-2008, 12:29 AM
This topic has nothing to do with anything on KFMF, but as some of you guys are good and close friends, I thought I’d use this space to rant a little.

I was in China the last 3 weeks on a san shou training course with the Chinese Wushu Association. On Friday the 12th of April, I received a call from my wife, telling me that my son was involved in a armed robbery. Heres the story:

My friend lives in my hood, basically just behind me in the street behind me. That Friday night, my wife and his wife went out for some coffee, while my friend looked after his two kids and my son. Around 8.30pm, he went outside to get something out of his garage, and he walked straight into a 45 caliber pistol. He then saw three other men jumping over his wall, all armed. The first thing they asked was were are the woman – rape and hate crimes are on the order of the day now. When he then said they arent there, they beat him up, and went into the house where they found my 7 year old son, my friends 13 year old son and his 10 year old daughter. Long story short, these animals then assaulted my son and held the pistol against his head, while they kept on saying they are going to kill him. My son is only 7.

The ransacked the house, but didn’t steal anything. One of the guys started arguing with the other one as to whether or not they must kill them, and apparently one of them refused. At that moment the other one punched him, and a shot went off. They realized that they don’t have time, and then ran away. My son was safe, which Im grateful for.

My son is no the same anymore. Its been a few weeks now, but at night he gets very nervous, and hasn’t slept in his own room since then. Its pretty bad on a small child.

Last Friday night, we had some friends over who stayed pretty late. At one point around 2.30 am we heard the dogs barking and I went out the investigate. I saw two young males walking down the road, and while I was watching them (they couldn’t see me), they tried to jump another neighbour’s wall. I then shouted at them, while my wife called the cops. They ran away, but as they probably thought I was armed.

Next day I discovered that the house they tried to enter that night is occupied by an elderly couple.

I’m so sick and tired of life down here, and the biggest problem is that there are still people in our country and our government who hides all this from the rest of the world. They also pretend that non of this ever happen, but if you follow local news agencies, you will realize that there are similar reports of such incidents in every single newspaper, every single day. Its an urban war, and the crimes are Hate crimes.

I’m not trying to get political support from any of you guys, I just want to tell people how bad things are down here.

We are leaving this country, and I have been spending the last few days since I got back working on various options to leave. This point it seems that the most probable place for me to go is either China or Hong Kong, as I can find jobs there for now, but ultimately I wouldn’t mind living in a first world, balanced and safe country like Australia, NZ, UK or Germany.

Anyways…. Thanks for taking the time to read this rant. I just want others to feel our pain, I don’t need sympathy, I just want people to see the truth. Our government is hiding all these things from the rest of the world.

diego
05-06-2008, 03:15 AM
This topic has nothing to do with anything on KFMF, but as some of you guys are good and close friends, I thought I’d use this space to rant a little.

I was in China the last 3 weeks on a san shou training course with the Chinese Wushu Association. On Friday the 12th of April, I received a call from my wife, telling me that my son was involved in a armed robbery. Heres the story:

My friend lives in my hood, basically just behind me in the street behind me. That Friday night, my wife and his wife went out for some coffee, while my friend looked after his two kids and my son. Around 8.30pm, he went outside to get something out of his garage, and he walked straight into a 45 caliber pistol. He then saw three other men jumping over his wall, all armed. The first thing they asked was were are the woman – rape and hate crimes are on the order of the day now. When he then said they arent there, they beat him up, and went into the house where they found my 7 year old son, my friends 13 year old son and his 10 year old daughter. Long story short, these animals then assaulted my son and held the pistol against his head, while they kept on saying they are going to kill him. My son is only 7.

The ransacked the house, but didn’t steal anything. One of the guys started arguing with the other one as to whether or not they must kill them, and apparently one of them refused. At that moment the other one punched him, and a shot went off. They realized that they don’t have time, and then ran away. My son was safe, which Im grateful for.

My son is no the same anymore. Its been a few weeks now, but at night he gets very nervous, and hasn’t slept in his own room since then. Its pretty bad on a small child.

Last Friday night, we had some friends over who stayed pretty late. At one point around 2.30 am we heard the dogs barking and I went out the investigate. I saw two young males walking down the road, and while I was watching them (they couldn’t see me), they tried to jump another neighbour’s wall. I then shouted at them, while my wife called the cops. They ran away, but as they probably thought I was armed.

Next day I discovered that the house they tried to enter that night is occupied by an elderly couple.

I’m so sick and tired of life down here, and the biggest problem is that there are still people in our country and our government who hides all this from the rest of the world. They also pretend that non of this ever happen, but if you follow local news agencies, you will realize that there are similar reports of such incidents in every single newspaper, every single day. Its an urban war, and the crimes are Hate crimes.

I’m not trying to get political support from any of you guys, I just want to tell people how bad things are down here.

We are leaving this country, and I have been spending the last few days since I got back working on various options to leave. This point it seems that the most probable place for me to go is either China or Hong Kong, as I can find jobs there for now, but ultimately I wouldn’t mind living in a first world, balanced and safe country like Australia, NZ, UK or Germany.

Anyways…. Thanks for taking the time to read this rant. I just want others to feel our pain, I don’t need sympathy, I just want people to see the truth. Our government is hiding all these things from the rest of the world.

Good luck with your move man:)

TaichiMantis
05-06-2008, 03:47 AM
I would suggest NZ, south island. It's beautiful!

Egg fu young
05-06-2008, 03:54 AM
but ultimately I wouldn’t mind living in a first world, balanced and safe country like Australia, NZ, UK or Germany.

USA didnt make that list? :rolleyes: I went for my evening stroll with my 7 year old daughter yesterday, made it 3 steps and realized I felt a little light. went back too holster my beretta...(I live in a good neighborhood but you cant be to careful) Take your family and move immediatley. No job's worth risking your family. I'd live in a box if it meant I would hug my kids every night.

sanjuro_ronin
05-06-2008, 04:11 AM

Dude, I feel for you, I really do.
A friend of mine and his family were victims of a home invasion a few years ago, luckly the cops got there quick (silent alarm) and one of the invaders was actually shot on their property.
His family was never the same, though they are getting better.
Hang in there and give the little all he needs.
It pains me to see one so young lose so much innocence.
I really feel for your family.

nospam
05-06-2008, 04:46 AM
..that is crazy a$$ shiit man. Sorry to hear this. I agree..time to pack the family and make roots elsewhere.

nospam
:cool:

Eddie
05-06-2008, 04:54 AM
Sifu Chow Keung helped me arange a posible job for my wife in HK. She will be leaving for HK next tuesday for a job interview. If that works out, we will be moving there. If not, I'll be moving to Wuhan, as I already established some good working contacts there.

I didnt post the USA, not because I dont see it as a good country, but only because its nearly impossible to get a green card (or whatever you guys have). Truth be told, if ever I could move to the USA, I'd definatly want to live in Florida.

nospam
05-06-2008, 05:01 AM
I could see that too Eddie re: Florida. Also consider the Prairies of Canada..very much like Flo-rider...after the hit of 'lude kicks in :eek:

Plus we could mix up our CLF and become one big 'ol happy Chan Family!

nospam
:cool:

Eddie
05-06-2008, 05:08 AM
:) happy chan family!!

well my friend (whos house this all happened) is moving to Canada. I just dont have any idea how to go about to get a working permit to move to canada. I dont have allot of money, so I need to go somewhere where little can take me a long way.

Canada is also one of the prefered locations for South Africans who move away.

The word in our country (unofficial) is that 20 000 persons are leaving the country per month. Apparently the official immegration stats are that more than 800 000 south africans has left the country during the last 5 years.

diego
05-06-2008, 05:19 AM
:) happy chan family!!

well my friend (whos house this all happened) is moving to Canada. I just dont have any idea how to go about to get a working permit to move to canada. I dont have allot of money, so I need to go somewhere where little can take me a long way.

Canada is also one of the prefered locations for South Africans who move away.

The word in our country (unofficial) is that 20 000 persons are leaving the country per month. Apparently the official immegration stats are that more than 800 000 south africans has left the country during the last 5 years.

I worked with buddy from Uganda in a warehouse his name was dan...I asked him will there ever be a day without war in Africa

****ing guy looked me in the eye and laughed. i asked, why are you laughing, and he told me that there will always be war because someone has to make the guns and someone has to make the water...this didn't make sence to me. He said "peeps are not going to stop making the guns just to make water" and then we went to lunch.

eddie, what is your take on this question and response, and what do you see happenning in Africa in the next twenty years?. i know little...in the life book on africa published in 1959 the country looks healthy...come the 80's you had unicef save ethiopia and all the warlords fought for control after the whites gave africa back to the generals...I hear they have rampant aids, muslem slavery in the sudan...I imagine ethiopia is still starving or at least places close to it are still mad dezert.

Now that you're leaving, what's your take on the climate?

excuse the typos:)

James

Eddie
05-06-2008, 05:33 AM
I live in South Africa, so I really dont have much insight into places like uganda and ethiopia.

Our country was build by Dutch, British and French settlers in just over 350 years.

My political views has changed a fair amount over the last few years, as we are constantly struggling with crime.

As for the climate, South Africa has the best weather in the world. Its autumn/ winter now, but its sunny, hot with a cool but fresh breeze. The sky is BLUE and clean and there are white clouds scattered around (in China you never see the blue sky). Even in the cities, we live very close to nature, and most South Africans are out doors people. This is something I would miss most of this place.

But, the political instability, the CRIME, the economy and the constant threat of becoming a victim of hate crime, is more than enough to keep me focused on leaving.

sanjuro_ronin
05-06-2008, 05:53 AM
The sky is BLUE and clean and there are white clouds scattered around (in China you never see the blue sky).

In ALL of China, you never see a blue sky ?
Dude...:rolleyes:

CLFNole
05-06-2008, 07:06 AM
Eddie:

Move and move fast.

Best of luck.

Lance

gwa sow
05-06-2008, 07:09 AM
hey ed, i glad to see your son wasnt hurt. i hope he feels better soon. i'd send him some more ninja stuff if i could:D wow that sucks, possibly moving to HK and having to train more with Sifu Chow Keung :o hehe

eddie

unkokusai
05-06-2008, 07:26 AM
In ALL of China, you never see a blue sky ?
Dude...:rolleyes:

I saw lots of blue sky in China (and lots of 'not' as well).

seisei
05-06-2008, 08:13 AM
Eddie,
May Buddah Bless And Protect you and your family. Leave immeaditly
M.

unkokusai
05-06-2008, 08:17 AM
Even in the cities, we live very close to nature, and most South Africans are out doors people. This is something I would miss most of this place.

Move to Utah. If you come legally it will be a nightmare. If you come illegally you will have no problems.

AJM
05-06-2008, 09:27 AM
Hunt them down Bro.

lkfmdc
05-06-2008, 11:18 AM
this is horrible news but living in HK or China may in fact be quite a pleasant experience. Of course, I think NZ would be better!

Best of luck, let us know how it turns out

WinterPalm
05-06-2008, 11:44 AM
From South Africa to Winnipeg?:eek:

Dude, it was snowing all morning and afternoon this past Sunday!:eek:

Sung29
05-06-2008, 01:01 PM
Hey Eddie, that's brutal! I can imagine the whole situation and the stress that comes with it is probably taking a few years off of your life, eh? I've got a 3 year old daughter myself and I just get stressed out thinking about when she's going to be a teen! Can't imagine what it would be like living there!

I'd recommend coming out here to Calgary (Canada), but housing prices have sky rocketed the last few years with the oil boom. In general people are nice (not like Toronto where I'm from) and the traffic is better. I also hear Saskatchewan (where Satori is from) is booming, although there was some statistic that the two largest cities there have the highest crime rates per capita in the country. That being said, I don't think it even compares to SA.

Anyway, best of luck and hope you can get out sooner than later!

Regards,
Sung29

JAZA
05-06-2008, 07:22 PM
Eddie,

Come to South America. No big deals with inmigration and with your connections in china you can do a lot of money importing and exporting.

Eddie
05-07-2008, 04:22 AM
thanks for all the support everyone.
We just booked my wife's ticket, she have a job interview in HK on the 16th of this month. If that all realise, we will be moving to HK soon.

hskwarrior
05-08-2008, 12:20 PM
I got friends in hk too eddie, you can meet them and be friends.

but im sorry for what happened to your family. unfortunately we all suffer from something like that in one way or another.

be strong bro.

Laukarbo
05-08-2008, 09:32 PM
sorry to read about this horrible,horrible story..
I wish you and your fam all the best and that you all as soon as possible can get out of this country ...HK is a nice and safe place to live .
All the best of luck to u and yours

diego
05-09-2008, 04:27 AM
thanks for all the support everyone.
We just booked my wife's ticket, she have a job interview in HK on the 16th of this month. If that all realise, we will be moving to HK soon.

Good Luck Eddie:cool:

I was just wondering, what is the Gung Fu community like in SA?.

Shaolinlueb
05-09-2008, 11:21 AM
man i am so glad your kid is alright and you wife and their kids and friends are alright. its time to move man, **** it.

bodhitree
05-09-2008, 12:04 PM
I know your son is confused right now, I'm sure he'll be stonger for it in the long run, just make sure he has the support he needs!

Good luck in the future!

Eddie
05-10-2008, 02:03 AM
I was just wondering, what is the Gung Fu community like in SA?.

Its pretty good actually. We have some really good schools and practitioners here. We always have a good flow of famous masters who come down here to teach. Thing is, people down here really love martial arts and really loves fighting.

There are many things that I think are really good about this place, but sadly the crime and political instability, as well as the failing economy, are preventing us from growing.

diego
05-10-2008, 05:09 AM
Its pretty good actually. We have some really good schools and practitioners here. We always have a good flow of famous masters who come down here to teach. Thing is, people down here really love martial arts and really loves fighting.

There are many things that I think are really good about this place, but sadly the crime and political instability, as well as the failing economy, are preventing us from growing.

That's sad to hear...at least if you go to HK there is lots of CLF for you to see:)

Good luck

Africa has been an interesting topic to me since I was eight and saw the 1986 ethiopian drought on tv...kids looking like aliens I didn't even understand what that was, thought it was like Twilight zone or some ****. And I have black cousins but those kids with the skinny necks and big stomachs just didn't make sence....

Shaolin Wookie
05-10-2008, 07:06 AM
That's sad to hear...at least if you go to HK there is lots of CLF for you to see:)

Good luck

Africa has been an interesting topic to me since I was eight and saw the 1986 ethiopian drought on tv...kids looking like aliens I didn't even understand what that was, thought it was like Twilight zone or some ****. And I have black cousins but those kids with the skinny necks and big stomachs just didn't make sence....

It's that malnutrition and stunted growth cycles. Because food is scarce or expensive, many traditional practices in place reserve the best cuts of meat and food for the adults, since they shoulder the burden of working all day. Nutritionists are trying to change this issue by working with the people, because the children aren't getting what they need to grow properly--because of those ****ed traditions. Adults can actually do with less food, etc. But those kids need the nutrients and vitamins. But yeah, the big stomachs and small necks, there's a term for it, but I forget it.

shadowlin
05-10-2008, 09:00 PM
This is a terrible story, and it pains me to hear it. That child - all children - deserve more.

Your story is one of those that remind me why I cannot see raising a family in but a few places in the world.

I've always felt that if my family is with me, then they will be safe. the problem is you can't be there 100% of the time, and I am always nervous when my wife is away from me. I can't imagine how hard it must be to let your son go anywhere without you, now. Even with a friend.

Good luck with your future, and I pray for the child's healthy recovery.

kal
05-11-2008, 11:28 AM

Brendan Lai used to rate South African kung fu guys very highly. He used to go out there and visit with one of your top guys IIRC.

He was also impressed with the discipline and condition of the South African practitioners.

Eddie
05-12-2008, 01:21 AM
yes. I remember when Brendan lai came here.
I was with that school he came to many many years back, and im still friends with the school (though i left them when i was a kid)

Eddie
05-21-2008, 10:34 AM
Sorry to spoil the mood even more, but there are some friends here who are interested in whats happening down here. This is even more reason why I need to get out.

If you don’t know, the last 10 days the country has been in an almost war state. People started attacking foreigners (mostly illegal) from Zimbabwe and Mozambique, and has even attacked a few Chinese nationals too.

Allots been happening, and tonight on tv news, they said that as from tomorrow the Defense force will be called in to help control this.

So far nearly 50 people died and thousands of people were injured and displaced. I’ll post links and news flashes here. If you guys arent interested, please let me know.

http://www.news24.com/News24/South_Africa/News/0,,2-7-1442_2324231,00.html
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/20/world/africa/20safrica.html?_r=2&hp&oref=slogin&oref=slogin
http://english.people.com.cn/90001/90777/6414891.html
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/7407914.stm
http://www.thestar.co.za/?fSectionId=3268&****icleId=nw20080521183951241C222276
http://www.southafrica.info/about/democracy/xenophobia-160508.htm
http://www.news24.com/News24/South_Africa/Politics/0,,2-7-12_2326655,00.html

lkfmdc
05-21-2008, 10:52 AM
I really hope this isn't taken for soemthing it is not intended, but dear lord it's sad to see that Africa never seems to be able to move forward. It's sad to see an entire continent mired in so many problems....

Eddie
05-21-2008, 11:17 AM
sad indeed. but if we cant learn from our mistakes.....

i see no future down here

BruceSteveRoy
05-21-2008, 11:28 AM
yeah bro, get the ef out asap. i hear diet australia (aka new zealand) is awesome. but even if its just to "go on vacation" leave as soon as you can and go anywhere. its not worth risking your family's lives to stay there.

BruceSteveRoy
05-21-2008, 11:36 AM
i am not sure if its difficult to get in but have you considered singapore? i hear they are a very safe country with amazing food.