PDA

View Full Version : Ninja or Samurai?

Son_Goku
04-17-2001, 08:01 PM
What is, in your opinions, the better, and which would you rather be?

Fear.....Fear attracts the fearful.....The strong....the weak....the innocent....
Fear is my ally

Radhnoti
04-18-2001, 12:07 AM
Funny that you have this on a CMA board...but, I'll answer. I've always been fascinated with the samurai. Their code, their training, their lives. A fellow named (I believe) Turnbull has some fantastic books about samurai history, with some beautiful illustrations. In my opinion, a samurai would be most fearsome on the battlefield...but the ninja would be trained not to be there. :)

-Radhnoti

Wyvern_Beta
05-06-2001, 04:47 AM
Stephen K Hayes mentioned in The Ninja and their Secret Fighting Art that: "The ninja were commoners...and thereby free of the samurai's rigid code of honor and prescribed way of handling situations."

I would rather be a ninja rather than samurai because being a samurai only limits you to a few actions because of their need to maintain their family's honor.

Radhnoti
05-06-2001, 08:04 PM
:confused:
I was under the impression that a large number, perhaps even a majority, of ninja were samurai in disguise? The mask sort of freed them from their honorable inhibitions? Oh well...maybe not.

-Radhnoti

Budokan
05-08-2001, 06:40 AM
Nobody really has any definite info on what ninja were/weren't because no records describing their life in detail survive from that time. A lot of what we think we "know", like wearing the traditional black costume and carrying the sword on the back--have no basis and cannot be verified. In fact, much of what we think about them come from No plays which have a reputation of stretching the truth for dramatic effect.

Having said that, I'd still rather be a samurai--but then I'm something of a Japanophile anyway.

;)

K. Mark Hoover

Psirus
05-08-2001, 11:32 PM
Um...no offense but your wrounge, heh. There are plenty of documents handed down to Hatsumi Sensei from his sensei and so on so forth down the lign. Ninjas are VERY confusing, i sugest you get the book by Dr. Hatsumi, The Essence of Ninjutsu, its VERY VERY Good/informative.

- Psirus

Ride the winds of Shinobi.

Budokan
05-09-2001, 04:04 PM
No, I'm right. There are no surviving records from the period of feudalism that can be trusted for historical accuracy re: ninjas. Most of what we think we know about ninjas today is a total modern construct that stems from early Victorian interest in Japan. It's also misinformed and exagerrated for dramatic effect--and for marketing purposes.

Supposedly vaunted records "handed down" between ninja-wannabes--and embellished over time to enhance a clans reputation and a master's "lineage"--are not proof and can not
be accepted as such for historical and archeological purposes.

K. Mark Hoover

Psirus
05-09-2001, 10:55 PM
You must really not like Ninjutsu...
I can say that i believe Hatsumi BECAUSE he is AGAINST teh comercailization of ninjutsu, as i said, read The Essence of Ninjutsu, than talk to me, adios (im not trying to be rude)

- Psirus

Ride the winds of Shinobi...

GeneChing
07-27-2015, 07:57 AM
Enter to win KungFuMagazine.com's contest for SAMURAI AND NINJA Autographed by Antony Cummins (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/sweepstakes-samurai-ninja.php)!!! Contest ends 6:00 p.m. PST on 8/6/15.

GeneChing
08-10-2015, 10:16 AM
See our WINNERS-SAMURAI-AND-NINJA-Autographed-by-Antony-Cummins (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?68857-WINNERS-SAMURAI-AND-NINJA-Autographed-by-Antony-Cummins) thread.

GeneChing
03-26-2018, 09:09 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLAylZFSn9M