PDA

View Full Version : fung siu ching and xing yi

taichi4eva
05-07-2008, 09:12 AM
I remember reading somewhere that there was a theory that Fung Siu Ching, being an Imperial constable, combined his wing chun with other arts, and one of them is xingyi. Is this corroborated with any evidence? Who was the one who brought out this theory?

Are there any other Northern martial arts that could have influenced wing chun?

Thanks again

kung fu fighter
05-08-2008, 11:26 PM
I thought Fung Siu ching was a tai chi expert before learning wing chun. That's why there is so much kum na, fan kum na, and sut gow in his wing chun system.

SAAMAG
05-08-2008, 11:48 PM
Interesting. Never heard about any wing chun system that was combined with any of the big three internal arts like Tai chi, Hsing I, or Paqua.

I've always liked the directness of Hsing I personally. There was a bit of time when I probably could have studied it here in San Antonio, but the gentleman that taught it left not too long after he got to town.

Jim Roselando
05-09-2008, 06:58 AM
Hello,

The Fung Siu Ching story comes from Mr. Ken Fish. A "Hsing Yi" player who studied with Dr. Henry Leung way back. This is the source of the Fung Siu Ching & Hsing Yi connection. Ken has a web site called; Empty Flower.

:)

chusauli
05-09-2008, 08:21 AM
Basically, I think there is no direct connection between Xing Yi and WCK. There are a lot of similarities of straight punch, body unity, close distance, etc., though.

I do not think Fung Siu Ching studied Xing Yi.

canglong
05-11-2008, 09:18 AM
Notes: Some accounts maintain Fung was originally from the north, anywhere from Hunan to Hubei provinces and that he had previous martial experience in systems from Hung Kuen to Ying Yee Kuen (Xingyiquan).
http://www.wingchunkuen.com/
Simply put people have always been fond of sharing information for various reasons
in this regard Fung Siu-Ching was probably no different than most.

taichi4eva,
They are valid questions and they like many others still require much more research on the part of the individual asking such questions probably as much as it does from those who would presume to be able to provide any definitive answers.

anerlich
05-13-2008, 02:50 PM
I trained in Xingyi for five years. IMO the philosophical bases of Xingyi and WC are fundamentally different. The "similarities" are to my mind about as valid of those of WC and Western Boxing, perhaps even less so. There are only so many ways for the human body to move.

This is not to say that the two arts couldn't complement each other or that it wasn't ever done successfully in the past. IMO it would be sometihng that an individual could achieve, but that would be difficult to formalise for teaching purposes, due to the conflicting philosophies of the two arts, which IMO outnumber the similarities.

Simply put people have always been fond of sharing information for various reasons

IMO this has been the exception rather than the rule where Wing Chun is concerned.