PDA

View Full Version : Police Do It Again

BoulderDawg
05-08-2008, 11:14 AM
What happened in Philly is just disgraceful. 14 cops beating the hell out of three black men for no reason.

I have a feeling this is going to be an interesting summer. We had cops shoot a unarmed black man 50 times and they call it justifiable. Now they yank three black men out of a car and almost kill them. The pot is simmering. I think one more incident will be all it takes for some Rodney King type of violence.

bodhitree
05-08-2008, 11:15 AM
I think those cops in Philly just made life a lot more difficult for cops everywhere else in the country....

sanjuro_ronin
05-08-2008, 11:16 AM
What exactly did the Rodney king riots accomplish?

BruceSteveRoy
05-08-2008, 11:28 AM
free tvs for everyone. duh

BoulderDawg
05-08-2008, 11:39 AM
What exactly did the Rodney king riots accomplish?

I think a better question is:

What exactly did the viscious beating of a black man by cops accomplish?

TaichiMantis
05-08-2008, 11:40 AM
The punks had just shot some people over a drug deal gone bad, plus three cops have been killed in the past year. Guess it made them a little ornery....but then again, why should white cops care about black on black violence....? rolleyes:

KFNOOB
05-08-2008, 11:50 AM
"Police stopped the suspects' car while investigating a triple shooting Monday night. No weapons were found in the car or on the suspects, Ramsey said, but officers said they had seen them shoot three people on a drug corner moments earlier."

WOW, I really want these cops heads!!!!

Are you people serious?

BoulderDawg
05-08-2008, 11:52 AM
The punks had just shot some people......

Yeah right.......Let's just say given the source of this information I think I will withhold judgement until I get an unbaised view of what happened.

Let's remember these guys were suppose to be involved in a high speed chase but the video showed the car maybe doing 20 MHP and coasting to the side of the road.

sanjuro_ronin
05-08-2008, 11:55 AM

Ah, no, the original question is far more crucial since YOU were the one that brought it up.

I think one more incident will be all it takes for some Rodney King type of violence.

Mook Jong
05-08-2008, 12:44 PM
Link to the story?

bodhitree
05-08-2008, 12:53 PM

Well, considering some of the cops involved were black I'd say it accomplished NOT being racist, so you should leave race out of it.....

The beating went too far, it was unexcusable and stupid of the cops to do that.... BUT...... it was not a bunch of white cops beating black guys, it was a mixed group of cops beating criminals (who happened to be black).

BoulderDawg
05-08-2008, 01:07 PM
Many of the people most guilty for discrimination against blacks are the so-called black cops. Just because they have a dark skin color does not mean they can't be racist against the black community. These cops left the black community long ago.

Beating criminals? Where was the court room? I saw nothing that would indicate these citizens were "criminals". All I saw was a car of scared young people pulled over by the police and then having the hell beat out of them.

Finally there is no "but" here. These attacks were not justified in any way.

Mook Jong
05-08-2008, 01:09 PM
Umm... by that logic can't some of the white cops be part of the black community, if it's something that can be consciously abandoned? or is it that cops and the black community don't mix. At all. Ever.

Black Jack II
05-08-2008, 01:10 PM
These cops left the black community long ago.

Translation....they turned into "Uncle Tom's":rolleyes:

DragonzRage
05-08-2008, 02:42 PM
"I saw nothing that would indicate these citizens were "criminals". All I saw was a car of scared young people pulled over by the police and then having the hell beat out of them."

-All you saw was the stop and the beating. You didn't see what preceded it. Therefore you do not have the full perspective of the situation. Now I'm not saying for a second that the officers handled the situation properly. It was a complete clusterfukk melee and no matter what the circumstances were preceding the incident, there's no way some of the officers' actions will be considered legally justifiable.

But let's not lose sight of the fact that officers supposedly just witnessed these guys shoot several people on a street corner. Granted none of us have the full details and none of us were there, I'd be inclined to believe that the officers involved were all certain that these guys had just shot people, which would explain why they reacted so extremely. You obviously are more inclined to believe that a dozen Ku Klux Klan inspired officers of different races randomly chose a car of churchgoing African American choirboys so they could pull them over, bumrush them, and hang them from a tree. Well thats your opinion, and you're an idiot. Nothing I can say will change that level of stupidity.

It was completely unprofessional and stupid of the officers to totally lose control of themselves and let a dynamic arrest degenerate into a mob fiasco. ANd its even more inexcusable that the sergeant on scene didn't try to stabilize the situation. But if those suspects did indeed just commit a shooting, then I can completely sympathize with those officers' feelings even if there's no way I can condone their actions and execution. They were too shortsighted and emotional. In the long run, all they did was jeopardize their careers, and publicly embarass their department. On top of that, they probably just handed three a$$holes millions of dollars (that they'll win in the inevitable lawsuit to follow)... all for the sake of giving their suspects a couple extra bruises.

bodhitree
05-08-2008, 03:02 PM
I'm not arguing that what the police did was not stupid, it was.

To make this about race is also stupid, two stupids don't make a smart.

Does an African American who becomes a cop automatically "leave the black community"? To me, most (keyword being most) African American cops become cops to help change the negative environment many African Americans live in in this country due to drugs, guns, prostitution, and all other types of crime that children are exposed to on a daily basis. I'm sure there are some bad cops, and some African American cops fall into that category, but the majority are probably good cops, with noble goals.

Why don't you (anyone who pulls the racecard on any little thing) pull the race card on drug dealers that destroy neighborhoods, or on African Americans who kill each other (black on black crime accounts for most crimes committed against African Americans) and make neighborhoods unsafe?

Becca
05-08-2008, 08:34 PM
Many of the people most guilty for discrimination against blacks are the so-called black cops. Just because they have a dark skin color does not mean they can't be racist against the black community. I think the word you should have used was biased. And I don't beleive they are biased against little onld grannies who got thier purse stolen on thier way home from the market, just punks who they resonably believe to be gang bangers, drug dealers, and other burdens on society.

shadowlin
05-08-2008, 10:07 PM
"I saw nothing that would indicate these citizens were "criminals". All I saw was a car of scared young people pulled over by the police and then having the hell beat out of them."

-All you saw was the stop and the beating. You didn't see what preceded it. Therefore you do not have the full perspective of the situation. Now I'm not saying for a second that the officers handled the situation properly. It was a complete clusterfukk melee and no matter what the circumstances were preceding the incident, there's no way some of the officers' actions will be considered legally justifiable.

But let's not lose sight of the fact that officers supposedly just witnessed these guys shoot several people on a street corner. Granted none of us have the full details and none of us were there, I'd be inclined to believe that the officers involved were all certain that these guys had just shot people, which would explain why they reacted so extremely. You obviously are more inclined to believe that a dozen Ku Klux Klan inspired officers of different races randomly chose a car of churchgoing African American choirboys so they could pull them over, bumrush them, and hang them from a tree. Well thats your opinion, and you're an idiot. Nothing I can say will change that level of stupidity.

It was completely unprofessional and stupid of the officers to totally lose control of themselves and let a dynamic arrest degenerate into a mob fiasco. ANd its even more inexcusable that the sergeant on scene didn't try to stabilize the situation. But if those suspects did indeed just commit a shooting, then I can completely sympathize with those officers' feelings even if there's no way I can condone their actions and execution. They were too shortsighted and emotional. In the long run, all they did was jeopardize their careers, and publicly embarass their department. On top of that, they probably just handed three a$$holes millions of dollars (that they'll win in the inevitable lawsuit to follow)... all for the sake of giving their suspects a couple extra bruises.

I agree with your assessment. One thing, however, is that it doesn't take 14 men to subdue 3 - IF that's that happened. I doubt we'll ever hear the real story.

It's pretty clear that racial tensions in this country are growing, and it's hard to figure out why. But almost always it seems to be coming from the urban areas. I know I've seen more racism in California than anywhere else I've been. It's completely antithetical to the idea that more mix would increase education. Something is amiss somewhere.

stonewarrior67
05-08-2008, 10:10 PM
boulderpuppy, you evidently have been brain washed into the thug mentality and/ or you are a thug with a couple of convictions for a lick or two under your belt since you like to post about how cops are bad. you and people like you are the vermin that call black cops uncle toms and treat them like crap cause they be work'n for the white man whos keep'n us down. someone who goes to work everyday risking their lives not only for their community but for the USA. i'm sick of your spouting and am adding you to my ignore list...i come her to read posts about kung fu not to be irrated by unintelligent ghetto rants about popo. btw rodney king deserved a bigger ass whooping than he got.

to anyone else who cares, why would the police shoot a guy 50 times? Because 49 shots was not enough and 51 times would be excessive. in a tense, rapidly unfolding situation where someone is not following your orders and you believe he is going to pull a gun you certainly have the right (as any of us citizens do) to defend your lives. cops, you and me and anyone else are not required by law to allow the person to actually retrieve a gun and shoot at you hoping that they miss before you shoot them as long as you can articulate what led you to believe that you were in iminent danger you have the right not to be judged in 20/20 hindsight.
as far as the number of rounds fired...unlike the movies where one shot blows a guy back a few feet and he is dead before he hits the ground there have been documented cases where individuals have been shot 32 times and once by a shot gun, then run a couple of blocks before dying of blood loss.....now do you think that individual who ran a couple of blocks could have had enough energy to pull out a weapon and kill a cop or citizen? how bout the fbi miami shootout where the bad guys platt and maddox recieved many mortal wounds and went on to kill other agents before collapsing themselves.
i dont know about the incident where the coppers got into it with the three guys though. but i'll tell you this....if the cops tell you to do something then do it, take your hands out of your pockets, put your hands up, step away from the car...whatever they say do it nice and slow and preferably without the lip, if they want to arrest you then let them arrestl and then have your day in court....unlike what liberal talkshow hosts and ghetto lawyers say it's pretty hard for cops to make up evidence, plant evidence or plan a whole conspiracy to get you thrown in the can. most cops and probably these guys involved in this incident if your loved one calls 911 in the wee morning hours and says someone broke into your house and the bad guy is still in there they'd break their necks getting there and putting a beating on the intruder for you...now i like that having that secure feeling.
cops are human and like any other profession you have good ones and bad ones but i think mostly good. still down with the pigs? then stop whining and make changes yourself....go out and take the tests, go through the academy and put on a badge and gun and see what you can do instead of hating....if you have a full time job already most departments have auxillary or reserve police where you volunteer your time and ride around with the full time cops. you might get to try out a technique or two....legally.
allow me to leave you with a quote from Will, "GOOD PEOPLE SLEEP SOUNDLY AT NIGHT IN THEIR BEDS BECAUSE ROUGH MEN STAND AT THE READY TO VISIT VIOLENCE ON OUR BEHALF"
sw

stonewarrior67
05-08-2008, 10:51 PM
ok i just watched the video of the philly incident...and there was not 14 cops on 3 guys...i think i counted 3 or 4 officers on each guy which is reasonable...the only thing that made me wince was the cop who went to two of the suspects and hammered their legs with the baton...but then again we're watching the situation unfold from how many feet above and can we really say how much the three people resisted from our vantage point? and in light of the officers knowledge of a violent felony that just had occured was it totally unreasonable altogether?
we'll have to see what happens....
how many on this board have been pulled over and beat at the hands of rogue cops or if not beat how were you treated badly at the hands of cops to make you think you dislike them? myself, i was 12 and a cop caught me throwing snow balls at cars, when he asked me where i lived i turned to point in the direction of my house and the cop kicked me so hard in my ass i fell to the gound...he said to knock it off and get home or he'd tell my folks...as bad as my ass hurt for a couple of days...got me right on the tailbone...i was thankfull that my dad never found out or i'd been in worse shape. i was working in the yard and my buddy who had just left came walking back, he was horsing around and put his car in a ditch...i went back with him to help him get it out and the cops were already there...the cop a really huge guy asked why i went off the road...i told him i was not driving and he yelled at me and pointed his finger...i told him again i was not driving and he closed the gap screaming how i was going to jail for lying when a witness came up and said officer it is the other young man who was driving...i didn't even get a sorry or nuthn. lastly i wanted to take my wifes grandmother home after a storm had hit and trees were down. the cops had the street blocked off and her grandmothers driveway was blocked by the cops car...i went up to the cop and explained the situation and asked him nicely if he could move his car so i could take the old lady up her drive and he was an absolute turd about it...he did not move his car and went on and on about how this was an emergency situation...him i really wanted to punch in the mush. even though i got kicked in the ass, wrongly accused and just about cussed out by the cops....i still respect them as a whole for what they do each and every day.
sw
sw

Egg fu young
05-09-2008, 03:39 AM
ok i just watched the video of the philly incident...and there was not 14 cops on 3 guys...i think i counted 3 or 4 officers on each guy which is reasonable...the only thing that made me wince was the cop who went to two of the suspects and hammered their legs with the baton...but then again we're watching the situation unfold from how many feet above and can we really say how much the three people resisted from our vantage point? and in light of the officers knowledge of a violent felony that just had occured was it totally unreasonable altogether?
we'll have to see what happens....
how many on this board have been pulled over and beat at the hands of rogue cops or if not beat how were you treated badly at the hands of cops to make you think you dislike them? myself, i was 12 and a cop caught me throwing snow balls at cars, when he asked me where i lived i turned to point in the direction of my house and the cop kicked me so hard in my ass i fell to the gound...he said to knock it off and get home or he'd tell my folks...as bad as my ass hurt for a couple of days...got me right on the tailbone...i was thankfull that my dad never found out or i'd been in worse shape. i was working in the yard and my buddy who had just left came walking back, he was horsing around and put his car in a ditch...i went back with him to help him get it out and the cops were already there...the cop a really huge guy asked why i went off the road...i told him i was not driving and he yelled at me and pointed his finger...i told him again i was not driving and he closed the gap screaming how i was going to jail for lying when a witness came up and said officer it is the other young man who was driving...i didn't even get a sorry or nuthn. lastly i wanted to take my wifes grandmother home after a storm had hit and trees were down. the cops had the street blocked off and her grandmothers driveway was blocked by the cops car...i went up to the cop and explained the situation and asked him nicely if he could move his car so i could take the old lady up her drive and he was an absolute turd about it...he did not move his car and went on and on about how this was an emergency situation...him i really wanted to punch in the mush. even though i got kicked in the ass, wrongly accused and just about cussed out by the cops....i still respect them as a whole for what they do each and every day.
sw
sw

I had the same thing happen to me when my car went into a ditch they must teach that tactic at the Academy.

sanjuro_ronin
05-09-2008, 04:12 AM
Years ago I had a disgruntled employee make a snitch call on me, cops took me out of the car, searched it for drugs, treated me like a potential criminal ( which I was to them), after they found nothing and did a background search, not only were they very friendly, they helped me pout everythign back in the car and what not.
The told me why they did and I explained what it probably was and they gave me a number of whom to talk to and take care of it.
But for those tense moments I, a European while male, was treated like the potential criminal I was.
Manhandled too :D
I still speak to one of those cops to this day.

BoulderDawg
05-09-2008, 09:21 AM
boulderpuppy, you evidently have been brain washed

How cute!:D Are you about 12-13 years old? Is daddy a policeman?

Anyway, I'm glad you love these people so much. As far as my friends goes they don't enjoy beating up minorities and don't feel the need to carry guns everywhere they go.

I think your story is typical....a cop beating a 12 year old......Had I'd seen that I would have intervened no matter if he was a cop.

bodhitree
05-09-2008, 09:32 AM
Interesting article on race in America, with many perspectives (http://www.economist.com/world/na/displaystory.cfm?story_id=11326407)

bodhitree
05-09-2008, 10:17 AM
"Police stopped the suspects' car while investigating a triple shooting Monday night. No weapons were found in the car or on the suspects, Ramsey said, but officers said they had seen them shoot three people on a drug corner moments earlier."

WOW, I really want these cops heads!!!!

Are you people serious?

What is your source on this? No weapons found in the car doesn't mean anything, the same cops could have just watched them toss a weapon from the window of the car.....

Yeah right.......Let's just say given the source of this information I think I will withhold judgement until I get an unbaised view of what happened.

Let's remember these guys were suppose to be involved in a high speed chase but the video showed the car maybe doing 20 MHP and coasting to the side of the road.

Ummm...... unbiased, you don't think you might have an itsy bitsy teenie weenie bias against cops???? Hopefully nothing ever happens to you or the people you love, who would you call?

Beating criminals? Where was the court room? I saw nothing that would indicate these citizens were "criminals". All I saw was a car of scared young people pulled over by the police and then having the hell beat out of them.

Ummmm don't forget they MOST LIKELY just shot some people... or was it really the police that shot them, afterall all the police are there for is to ruin people's lives

These attacks were not justified in any way

The method of apprehension was not justified in any way. Rather than securing limbs and restraining they obviously let their anger get the best of them. It's probably easy to do when you are dealing with high stress levels all of the time.

shadowlin
05-09-2008, 10:37 PM
i dont know about the incident where the coppers got into it with the three guys though. but i'll tell you this....if the cops tell you to do something then do it, take your hands out of your pockets, put your hands up, step away from the car...whatever they say do it nice and slow and preferably without the lip, if they want to arrest you then let them arrestl and then have your day in court....unlike what liberal talkshow hosts and ghetto lawyers say it's pretty hard for cops to make up evidence, plant evidence or plan a whole conspiracy to get you thrown in the can.

And what happens when they aren't cops, or they are bad cops?
The People are not supposed to be treated like cattle or below human status.

I always treat officers with great respect because they put up with a lot of crap, and most of them try to do the right thing.

but in the days of Branch Davidian, Extraordinary Renditions, and the Feds raiding legal businesses to shake them down, you can't be sure of their intentions. And you can't be sure that your rights will be respected now or in the future.

Everyone should know their rights and not be afraid to say what those are.

Respect officers, but don't bow down to them or you're just keeping the military-style brand of police work as the best brand. It's not right to treat every single person like their a drug smuggler or alcoholic. It's also not legal.

so we have to be careful what powers we give to our police and which ones we reserve for the People.

Ideally, the Sheriff ought to keep this power in check, because he/she is democratically elected and the ultimate law enforcement official in their county. Be careful who you vote for. ;)